Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-20-2010, 12:29 PM   #1
themaddhatter

Default fishing for perch next week

Some of my friends and I are making a senior trip up to the lake house, I'm upstate NY so I have a fair amount of experience with bass and walleye but I'd really like to tear into the perch since the others aren't really in season. Any recommendations on where to go or what/how to use it would be greatly appreciated. We have a boat but there's 9 of us so any places you can reach from the shore or wade into would be preferred. I can't let my friends think I don't know what I'm doing so I'm counting on you all help me defend my honor as a fisherman.
themaddhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
NBR

The New Hampshire bass season is open till June 1 with limited limits,then it is C&R only until June 1 or there abouts. Walleye's don't count since there are none in Winni. I cant help with the perch but AJ's tackle in Meridith probably can.
NBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
GusMan

Default Bass fiahing in NH

Jut FYI...

The bass fishing season in NH is Catch and Immediate Release from May 15th through June 15th (I thought it was artificial lure only, but perhaps not). There is a two bass daily limit from May 1st through May 15th and June 16th through June 30th. The size limit for keeping bass is 12 inches.

Another notable NH fishing law is that lead sinkers of less than 1 ounce are banned.. you must use alternative metals such as brass, steel or tungsten. Jig heads with an hook eye to hook bend length of (I believe) 1 inch or more can still be lead.

Sorry I cannot help you with the perch question... though I've seen schools of yellow perch in the weirs channel among the weeds there.

Cheers...

Gusman
GusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:47 PM   #4
Pineedles

Winter cradle for the Sofie C. and the Doris E. in Centre Harbor used to be good areas for perch.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:28 PM   #5
topwater

State law prohibits the use of lead sinkers and jigs in all fresh water in New Hampshire, including lakes, ponds, rivers and streams. The ban prohibits the use of lead sinkers weighing 1 ounce or less and lead jigs less than 1 inch long along their longest axis.

The law also prohibits the sale in New Hampshire of lead sinkers weighing 1 ounce or less and lead jigs less than 1 inch long along their longest axis.

And yes, keeping of bass, taken by any means is againest the law from May 15th thru June 15th. It is strictly catch and release.
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2010, 07:31 PM   #6
topwater

Long Island bridge is usually pretty good fishing for perch with worms, pretty much all year long. Plenty of parking, plenty of fishing area, and for the most part pretty well protected from the wind.
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:33 PM   #7
JTA

It seems to me that yellow perch have declined in recent years.
JTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:57 AM   #8
rsmlp

Default perch

I agree that the popualtion of perch has dropped markedly over the years. when I was a kid, some 40 yrs ago, I'd catch them and pickerel readily. now they're both rare. sm bass dominate.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:51 AM   #9
GTO

Default Striped perch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTA View Post
It seems to me that yellow perch have declined in recent years.
Stopped in Wolfboro and 19 Mile bay on Sunday and there were hundreds of the very small perch around the both docks. Good sign for perch fishing next year
Old 05-26-2010, 05:17 PM   #10
rider

Default Fish the docks...

in Meredith before 9 in the morning, then move to the foot bridge. That is your best bet. I took my nephew there last weekend, pulled about 20 outta the water, and 1 monster bass.
rider is offline   Reply With Quote