Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-18-2009, 06:40 AM   #1
Redsoxlover

Default Fishing Derby in January?

Has anyone else heard that the Rotary fishing derby date has changed to the last weekend in January? I realize that that the Super Bowl has given them some headaches the past few years but January is crazy imho, there have been too many years when Feb. ice has been iffy. Why not push it into 2nd weekend of Feb. Any insight as to the date change?
Redsoxlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:11 AM   #2
Bizer

Their web site confirms your statement: 30&31 Jan 2010. http://www.meredithrotary.com/
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:33 AM   #3
Mink Islander

Default Derby Dates

Isn't the issue that if you want to avoid the Super Bowl, you're forced earlier because the weekend after is the beginning of the MA school vacation and the following week is NH school vacation? Consequently, 3 weekends in a row are already very busy weekends. If one of the objectives of the Derby is to boost the local economy, then competing with those big weeks/weekends isn't ideal at all.

I agree with the point that we've had winters when the ice is "iffy" in significant parts of the lake in late January, but in a typical winter, those dates should be fine. Now it's up to Mother Nature to cooperate....
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:41 AM   #4
donnamatrix

Default Exactly

MI: You're correct... the Derby date is predicated on when the Super Bowl takes place ... and when the MA/NH school vacation weekends occur. Certainly cannot compete with the Super Bowl-or the school vacation weekends. It's really only one week earlier than it was last year, and we had (thankfully) plenty of ice. Believe me, the Derby Committee members always have alot of angst over scheduling the date!!By the way, the Derby Discount program is in full swing, so buy your tickets online, and start taking advantage of the vendors who are giving discounts NOW to Derby ticket holders--the entire listing of vendors is right here:
http://meredithrotary.org/2010_Derby...Discounts.html
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:44 PM   #5
SIKSUKR

Default Superbowl?

I'm not sure how much impact the Superbowl would have on the derby. It doesn't start till 6:40. Everything is wrapped up well before that allowing for time to travel home.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:05 PM   #6
glennsteely

Smile Not if I'm driving back to New Jersey!!

I am seriously considering making the trip for this this winter. I have always wanted to fish in it, but I've never been Ice fishing before. The superbowl doesn't mean anything to me unless my team is there, so you all can guess how many superbowls I have watched....(I have watched a few) How do you get through the ice? Chainsaw? How thick is it in the end of January? Pole fishing or hand line? Somebody tell me something....
Old 11-04-2009, 08:20 PM   #7
jmen24

Default This will get you started

Glen, I could not find anything quickly about ice fishing on a NH based site so this will have to do. Anyway this will give you the quick head dunk in the water to get you started.

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/caer/...re/icefish.htm

I am sure you will get a lot more information so read quickly, so you will know the language.

To answer outright, handline and rod both, thickness of ice depends on area and lake but over a foot is standard, grow your nails real long as scratching at the surface is the only way I know to break the ice!
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:53 AM   #8
riverat

Default Look me up

Been Ice Fishing most of my life and look forward to it every Winter, you can find me on Alton Bay somewhere near the Bandstand area. I have a tan Bobhouse with a table attached to it and am there atleast 3-4 days a week, they call me "Riverat" but my name is Roger. Anytime you want to try Ice Fishing you get your liscense and look me up and we will give it a go. we don't always catch fish but the experience of "Winnie" in the Winter is gratifying enough.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:20 PM   #9
martbri7

Default Discount Program...

Kind of funny seeing Meredith PD's contribution to the program...
martbri7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:26 AM   #10
glennsteely

Thumbs up Well thank you all....

I'm telling my wife that I want to make the trip this year and have to explain that I basically have an invite from a guy named riverat....Roger. See, people from the lakes region are just a different breed, I only know most of you from this forum, but I get an invite to come to Alton, find a tan bobhouse and do some ice fishing....ALL FROM 400 MILES AWAY!!! My wife is the "don't talk to strangers" type, so she can't understand. I do, and might be taking you up on that offer, Mr. Riverat, until then, thanks for the info and invitation.

Glenn

Last edited by glennsteely; 11-06-2009 at 09:28 AM. Reason: spelling
glennsteely is offline   Reply With Quote