Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-28-2008, 01:24 PM   #1
beaner

Question how badly are area restaurants hurting???

We have stopped for dinner at Johnson's Steaks & Seafood in New Durham on a number of occasions. It was always spur of the moment when we happened to be driving by. Each time we got tired of waiting for a table and gave up. But on Monday evening of Memorial Day weekend, we walked right in without a reservation around 6:30 and were seated right away. We were surprised because there were plenty of cars in the lot, but they must have been there for the ice cream window and the employees. This was prime dinnertime on the holiday weekend. We noticed that there were plenty of empty tables besides the one we were seated at. On the other hand, now we finally know why everyone raves about this place!
beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 04:57 PM   #2
pmj

From my experience on a Monday holiday, 6:30 is late for the crowds. They tend to be busier on Monday holidays from noon to 5. My take is the reason is that tourists are heading home in the afternoon. You are more apt to get the locals (like us)after 6:30ish.
pmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:56 AM   #3
twoplustwo

Default ditto pmj

Had you walked in there Saturday or Sunday around 7 and the place was dead, there'd be reason for concern. Monday evening the holiday was over - the tourists were already headed south and the rest of us were breathing a sigh of relief that the Dunkin Donuts drive-thru was no longer backed up around the corner of the building
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:59 AM   #4
jetskier

Post Not busy

We went to Os on Sunday night. The food was great (per usual); the restaurant was only about 40% full. I do think that there is a pull back on spending in the area. This might be just due to all the media hype.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:16 PM   #5
fatlazyless

Probably, the combination of lowering home values, and rising gasoline prices makes people feel poor. Instead of filling up the tank and traveling away from a Boston suburb for a weekend vacation up to Cow Hampshire, they maybe stay at home and work on a project like sanding/painting their outside deck, or working on the lawn.

The dollar menu at McDonald's has been my mainstay for years. Suggest you try it....you may just like it! They even have a one dollar chocolate sundae, and its success is reflected in the mcd stock price history.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:24 PM   #6
CanisLupusArctos

I also noticed that the crowds disappeared almost as soon as Monday afternoon's clouds rolled in. This was the continuation of a trend I noticed among boaters on the lake last year: The boats were only out there in the nice weather. It was almost like magic on any given cloudy day, if the sky cleared there would be boats out there within minutes. If a sunny day turned cloudy, the boats would disappear. I would imagine the effect is also playing out on land, too.

I figured that if people are paying more for their tourism activities, they're probably trying to get the best possible experience for their money, and good weather has always been a major desire of vacationers. Now that the price of vacationing has gone up so much, the vacationers' desire for "good weather only" is even greater. We may notice that a rainy weekend has a much greater crowd-deterring effect than it has in past summers.

"The higher the price goes, the clearer the sky's gonna have to be."

Restaurants may benefit from rental tenants who get a rainy day during their stay.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 02:33 PM   #7
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
This might be just due to all the media hype.

So $4/gallon is media hype? The cost of living increasing more than wages is media hype? I don't think so. These are real issues facing real people (except the rich owners of the McMansions, of course) and of course it will affect tourism. People might not be cancelling their weekend trips to the lake, but they're sure as heck are going to cut back on them.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:06 PM   #8
sa meredith

Default agree

Hilltopper...
I wasn't going to bother to reply, but after reading your post, I figured "why not?". I could not agree more. I just can't understand people who somehow don't see the complete and utter mess this economy is in.
I recently responded to a post in another thread in which someone actually wrote something to the effect of " the economy is fine. It's just election year "sky is falling" type stuff". I was shocked.
A little news for people who are not out there, grinding away every day....Times are tough. Real world type stuff. Business for me is not slow...it's non-existent!!!! It hit me for real last Thursday, when, for the first time in 4 years, I actually cancelled my Thursday night trip to Meredith.
Had every intention of going, but got home Wednesday night to find a $635 oil bill on the front door (should have stopped the auto delivery, my bad). Figured with all the gas I would use driving north, and then gas for the boat, I just could not swing it. Tough decision, but one that had to be made. More and more money going out, and VERY VERY little coming back in.
MEDIA HYPE!!!!!????? This poster insults every working family reading this board.
As for restaurants being off...wife is a minority owner in a restaurant that opened recently on the lake, and winter busniness was fair at best, but even now, they are way behind what was projected. Not a small time place. They spent huge money. Remember, don't judge a restaurant by what you see on a Friday or Saturday night...they BETTER be busy then. The money must be made on Tues/ Wed/ Thursday nights as well.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:45 PM   #9
jetskier

Angry Inappropriate accusation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
Hilltopper...
I wasn't going to bother to reply, but after reading your post, I figured "why not?". I could not agree more. I just can't understand people who somehow don't see the complete and utter mess this economy is in.
I recently responded to a post in another thread in which someone actually wrote something to the effect of " the economy is fine. It's just election year "sky is falling" type stuff". I was shocked.
A little news for people who are not out there, grinding away every day....Times are tough. Real world type stuff. Business for me is not slow...it's non-existent!!!! It hit me for real last Thursday, when, for the first time in 4 years, I actually cancelled my Thursday night trip to Meredith.
Had every intention of going, but got home Wednesday night to find a $635 oil bill on the front door (should have stopped the auto delivery, my bad). Figured with all the gas I would use driving north, and then gas for the boat, I just could not swing it. Tough decision, but one that had to be made. More and more money going out, and VERY VERY little coming back in.
MEDIA HYPE!!!!!????? This poster insults every working family reading this board.
As for restaurants being off...wife is a minority owner in a restaurant that opened recently on the lake, and winter busniness was fair at best, but even now, they are way behind what was projected. Not a small time place. They spent huge money. Remember, don't judge a restaurant by what you see on a Friday or Saturday night...they BETTER be busy then. The money must be made on Tues/ Wed/ Thursday nights as well.
OK...first off, I do take umbridge to your inference that I am insensitive to the economy. If you can afford the boat, the lake house and the toys, you are not on the lower cusp of the economy. The economy is lousy, but for the higher end restaurants it is more about the perception. In the future, please keep your insults to yourself...this is an open forum and everyone is entitled to their views.

Jetskier
Old 05-29-2008, 06:05 PM   #10
sa meredith

Default Whoa.....

Wow! Sorry...did not intend to ruffle your feathers like that.
Re-read my post, and I guess I see why you would be upset, Jetskier.
But the "just media hype" thing really got to me. There are many people in the higher end of the economic ladder who are starting to see things come apart. (myself in that catagory). It becomes a difficult reality when all of sudden it becomes a problem to drop 200/300 on weekends when you have grown accustomed to such a life style. Times are tough, and the problems are starting to work their way up the food chain. I don't believe saying the economy is the dumper is a "view" or "an opinion"...it's a fact.
Although I missed the part where I insulted you, my sincere apology to any offense you may have taken. Maybe I should have calmed abit before replying...
Happy to report I am leaving for Meredith in an hour, and am prepared to dump some $$$ into the region's economy. Spend now, worry later.
I owe you a drink at Kitty's.....
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:28 PM   #11
jetskier

Default No harm, no foul

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
Wow! Sorry...did not intend to ruffle your feathers like that.
Re-read my post, and I guess I see why you would be upset, Jetskier.
But the "just media hype" thing really got to me. There are many people in the higher end of the economic ladder who are starting to see things come apart. (myself in that catagory). It becomes a difficult reality when all of sudden it becomes a problem to drop 200/300 on weekends when you have grown accustomed to such a life style. Times are tough, and the problems are starting to work their way up the food chain. I don't believe saying the economy is the dumper is a "view" or "an opinion"...it's a fact.
Although I missed the part where I insulted you, my sincere apology to any offense you may have taken. Maybe I should have calmed abit before replying...
Happy to report I am leaving for Meredith in an hour, and am prepared to dump some $$$ into the region's economy. Spend now, worry later.
I owe you a drink at Kitty's.....
No problem...we probably both need to cool our jets.