Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-04-2007, 03:17 PM   #1
hilltopper

Default New member here

Hey folks, new member here. My wife and I are moving to Meredith in a month, so now that I was becoming part of the Lakes Region community I've decided to stop lurking and start posting! I'm sure I'll have a few questions as we settle in....

We're looking forward to the move, but for now we will continue to work in / commute to Nashua. Sometimes sacrifices need to be made (but hopefully not for long) and I am sick of living in this area (no offense to the area, but I grew up in northern VT and enjoy a slower pace).

Anyways....first question. Does being a resident of Meredith allow you free access to a town boat launch? If so, is this launch right in the area of the town docks? In mid Summer would you be better of paying to launch at Shep Brown's launch rather than dealing with crowds? Growing up in VT the idea of paying to launch is totally foreign to me...there was ALWAYS public launches with parking. I love to fish and boat, but don't want to be "committed" to one body of water and will therefore trailer versus look for a slip.

Thanks for your help and I look forward to being a memeber of the site!

hilltopper
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:27 PM   #2
Parker Island Fun

Smile the state maintains fee boat access to every large lake in NH

The state maintains free boat access to every large lake in NH. the one in down town Meridith is free and open to all. sorry for the typo in the title.
Parker Island Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:49 PM   #3
Alton Mumma

Default Welome

Looks like PIF has taken care of your question. So I just wanted to welcome you to the lakes region and to the forum I've been up here in Alton for about 5 years now and loving it, I too like the slower pace.

"Living with a toddler is like using a blender without the cover."
Alton Mumma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:39 PM   #4
jrc

Actually I'm pretty sure it's the other way around. The state launch next to Shep Brown's is free and the town launch next to the town dock has a fee. I don't know if town residents get a break, but they do collect money at the downtown Meredith launch. I'm an eye witness.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:40 PM   #5
Pineedles

Default Free Access?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Island Fun
The state maintains free boat access to every large lake in NH. the one in down town Meridith is free and open to all. sorry for the typo in the title.
Center harbor charges for each launch. Do I need to show my tax bill to launch free? Can't show DL as it is out of state.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2007, 07:50 AM   #6
hilltopper

My understanding from reading some info is that Shep's launch is pay-to-launch with free public parking very near by. I've often been told that residents of the towns surrounding the lake were able to launch for free. Do I need to go down to the town docks and get some type of sticker?
Old 04-06-2007, 12:44 PM   #7
gwood

Last year I vacationed twice in Meredith and used the boat launch at the town docks. No one ever asked me to pay anything. I launched and retrieved during the week and virtually nobody was around. Perhaps the weekends are different.
gwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 01:13 PM   #8
Woodsy

One side of Shep's belongs to the marina... the other side is public. Most towns charge an access fee to use thier boat launch if you are not a resident. I have been charged to use Meredith's launch.

Another note is how big is your boat... or more appropriately, how long is your tow vehicle/boat trailer combo. The Meredith town launch is pretty tight.

Woodsy

PS: Welcome to the area!
Old 04-06-2007, 01:39 PM   #9
hilltopper

Thanks for the welcome Woodsy. Nothing crazy as far as boat size...17' boat towed by a Chevy 1500 series truck.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:34 PM   #10
MaidenCove07

Default I paid to launch

I've been to both Shep's and Meredith to launch my Jet Ski.
When I've launched on Saturday, I've had to pay $10 at each spot. A college kid with a clip-board took my info (boat reg. # and car license plate and my name) and collected the money.
When I launched on a weekday, there was no one collecting.
MaidenCove07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 08:50 AM   #11
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,641 Times in 569 Posts

If you ever feel like fishing Winnisquam......big lakers,bass,salmon and rainbows.......don't pay $20 in Laconia.Go to Ahern park and back right over the beach.The sand is firm on the beach and in the water and if you have 4 wheel drive,it's not a problem at all.There is also ample parking for truck and trailer.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 05:52 PM   #12
Sunrise Point

Default Welcome!

Welcome to Meredith. If you want a slower pace, please do try Winnisquam (but don't tell anyone how much you like it!).
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 06:51 PM   #13
fatlazyless

Probably it is the long term goal of the state to have free access at all large lakes. In the past ten years, free access facilities including bathrooms, double ramps, docks for loading-unloading and fairly large parking lots have been built by the state at Newfound and Squam Lakes. Both facilities are as good as can be. A similar facility is now under construction for Winnisquam.

As far as I know Winnipesaukee doesn't have a free state ramp. Maybe they thought it's not a priority what with all the existing town and marina ramps. For this reason building an RV Campground at Ellacoya State Park in Gilford was maybe a better use of limited space than a launch ramp.

Maybe, if enough new people start smoking cigarettes, then the state will have enough tax money to build a free public double-ramp over on Governor's Island, somewhere. Ho-ho-ho, ha-ha-ha, ho-ho-ho!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 06:15 AM   #14
TomC

Default free state ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless
As far as I know Winnipesaukee doesn't have a free state ramp.
Harilla Landing (not to be confused with private Yacht Club of the same name immediately adjacent to it) in Moultonboro is a free state ramp on Winni. Parking is a challenge, allowed only along state right-of-way...
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 02:15 PM   #15
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrise Point
Welcome to Meredith. If you want a slower pace, please do try Winnisquam (but don't tell anyone how much you like it!).
I'm actually much more familiar with Winnisquam as we have friends with a camp on the lake. Love salmon and trout fishing south of Pot Island in the morning and heading to the sandbar in the afternoon. When we were looking at houses I was torn between wanting waterfront or land. We looked at a couple of places on Winnisquam. There was a place we liked on the canal, however in the end we went with land and bought a house that has 35 acres but is still only 5 minutes from the Meredith Town Docks. I will definitely be trailering to Winnisquam often to avoid the Winni weekend crowds. SAMIAM, I've heard of folks launching at Ahern but was never clear whether it was frowned upon or not. Was thinking I'd have to wait until the state launch got built. Thanks for the info everyone!

hilltopper
Old 04-08-2007, 03:09 PM   #16
JimD

Default Fish and Game rented a lot near Martels

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/News...ing_033007.htm
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:13 PM   #17
hilltopper

The story I got from a Bear Island seasonal resident is that he was launching by Shep's last year and got charged. He asked the young lady collecting the money why he was being charged and was told that without the Meredith dump sticker, you will get charged. Hopefully this is fact because living in town I will obviously need the sticker anyway.