Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-03-2006, 05:11 PM   #1
pmj

Default Lakes Region hot tub/spa dealers

I am researching hot tubs and spas. There are not many dealers around the lakes region. I am wondering if anyone has had experience with any of the local dealerships such as Stargazer in Laconia or Energy Savers...or Mainely Tubs

I am also looking for input on any of these brands if you have experience I would love to hear about what your brand is, what you like and dislike or if you would buy that brand again?

Looking at :

Hot Springs ..(also Tiger River)

Saratoga

Sundance

Jacuzzi

Thanks
pmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 09:13 PM   #2
Hermit Cover

Default Sundance Spas..

We've owned a Sundance Spa for 5 years and will buy another of the same model when our new home is finished on the lake next year. We've had a few problems but not anything not covered by warranty and parts were in stock and repairs were quick. We tried other tubs before we bought the Sundance and were most impressed with the quality, the bells and whistles, and the great comfort afforded by our spa. I have been in the dealership in Meredith and found them to be very sharp ( they know and understand their product and also the competition's) and well stocked with different models. Check them out before you purchase....
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 06:26 AM   #3
jlrm73

We own a Tiger River Spa from Abundant Life in Chichester, and are very happy with it after 4 years...no problems. I have heard good things about Energysavers, but remember from an earlier thread on the forum that people have had trouble with them. This thread has a lot of good info.
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...read.php?t=910
jlrm73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 07:52 AM   #4
Phantom

Well we can echo the praise stated by Hermit Cover about Sundance Spa's -- although our tub, which is the Montego (seating for 8), is not at Winni - we are into our 8th or 9th year. Our tub has been virtually trouble free -- we did have to replace one of the pump motors a year ago - but our tub is operating 24/7 - 365 days a year - OUTSIDE and some maintenance is to be expected.

With the dealership right in Merideth, I would take a long hard look at what they have. I assure you they won't be the cheapest -- but they are rugged as all get out.

The other thought to keep in mind as you browse is the tub layouts. It's an extremely personal choice but consider looking at those models that do not have the lay down lounge seat. For our family we found that it was a complete waste of space (an entire side) which is better utilized by individual seating. With Sundance I know they offer many of their Spa's with optional seating -- so ask, if it is not in the showroom!!

The final hint about shopping for a Spa is to remeber to discuss "delivery and installation" -- although all of the electrical work will no doubt be seperate (remember most good tubs are 50 AMP) one of the "hidden" costs that will be avoided by some dealers is the delivery and placement (key word is placement).
Old 12-04-2006, 09:01 AM   #5
codeman671

Placement is KEY! I just went through a nightmare placing my Sundance at our new home in Dover. Our deck is not overly large so we decided to have a custom patio built of stone pavers next to it. After spending thousands on the stonework I had the tub delivered and set in place. The electrician came out and would not do the job, there has been a change to the national electric code (NEC 2005) that states that in this situation there must be a grid of copper bonding material under the patio to bond the tub to, this must extend 3 feet around the tub. The patio would then be layed on top of this and the tub connected to it.

We tried a few electricians, not all of them had even heard of the rulebut verified it with the electrical inspector. At this point we were faced with ripping up the patio, doing the rather expensive copper grid and reinstalling the patio, or moving the tub altogether. We chose to move it... It could have turned a $500 electrical job into $3500-4000 between patio rework and extra electrical.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2006, 09:42 AM   #6
WeirsBeachBoater

Default Hot tub dealer

I highly recommend EnergySavers in Meredith. Nice people, good service.
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 10:24 AM   #7
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

I thought I was getting a good deal from EnergySavers on my woodstove/fireplace insert, however, they only installed a liner halfway up the chimney. Every chimney sweep recommended that it needs to go all the way to the top and EnergySavers ALWAYS does the 1/2 way up the chimney liner thing. Just had the liner extended to the top for big bucks. I don't understand why it wasn't done right the first time. I, for one, am now leary of doing business with EnergySavers. ....for what it's worth.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 05:05 AM   #8
pmj

Thanks for all your thoughts.

codeman, that is a great tip. Did you move it to an area that you had to do the same thing??

We are just now getting our placement area ready and have not yet laid the patio bricks yet so we will definately check the electrical code issue out before proceeding further.

Anyone have any problems with animals getting underneath and inside the insulation??

pmj
Old 12-05-2006, 10:28 AM   #9
Windrider

I agree with those who have issues with Energysavers. Did not find them particularly helpful during the sale, failed to keep an appointment etc. and their service has been a lot less than prompt. I recommend looking elsewhere.
Windrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 10:36 AM   #10
parrothead

Default Yogi came for visit

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmj
Anyone have any problems with animals getting underneath and inside the insulation??

pmj
My parents didn't have them get in but they did have a bear come and take a bite out of their cover Kind of an interesting thing to wake up to happening outside the window.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:49 AM   #11
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmj
Thanks for all your thoughts.

codeman, that is a great tip. Did you move it to an area that you had to do the same thing??

We are just now getting our placement area ready and have not yet laid the patio bricks yet so we will definately check the electrical code issue out before proceeding further.

pmj

We bit the bullet and put it on our wooden deck, thus alleviating the problem. It is not where we wanted it but the other situation was not worth the headaches and extra cost.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:51 AM   #12
pmj

Default electrical codes/spa installation

I investigated a bit and was told by a master electrician working for a very reputable spa company that grounding under the tub and at the tub is only required when there is a cement pad, not pavers. will check further on this.
We are going to check out Jacuzzi and Sundance models today.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

pmj
Old 12-09-2006, 07:58 PM   #13
pmj

Default for codeman

we searched out Jacuzzi and Sundance spas today.
Great Bay Spas in Portsmouth was most impressive with their "education". We are very interested in the Caprio. I was wondering if you bought your Sundance from Great Bay? If so, how do you like their service?

We also spent time at Aquarius Pools and Spas in Dover. They also seem to be a good firm. We liked their J345 but being short I felt like I might drown in the depth of this spa.

pmj
Old 12-10-2006, 12:08 PM   #14
codeman671

Default Pmj

We purchased our first Optima from Great Bay, or second Optima came from Sundance Spas and Solariums in Amherst. I found the pricing from Amherst was quite a bit better and they had the model and color that we wanted in stock instead of waiting 5 weeks. I never used them for service, we have always used Great Bay as we have always lived on the seacoast. Overall Great Bay has been decent, I had one issue last year where my tub died due to a warranty issue and the pipes froze. I got charged $300 in service fees for dethawing it (the tub repair was covered), I am still pissed about that one...I like Randy in sales, Chris and Tony are good too.

There is a Sundance dealer in Meredith who I thought was affiliated with the one in Amherst, but I am not sure. As far as concrete vs pavers I would be careful there, the electrical inspector for Dover Jim Maxfield was the one that gave me the spiel on it, he really knew his stuff and had held classes locally to train the local electricians on the new code.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:01 PM   #15
Alton Bay Bob

We puchased our Sundance spa from Great Bay in Portsmouth about 8 years ago. We have always been very pleased with their service. Had a lightning strike once that blew the electrical system and also had one burnt out motor. They came immedicately both times and we were up and running. They also winterize our spa each winter. They are always very helpful and prompt.

Good luck and enjoy.
Alton Bay Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 07:05 PM   #16
pmj

Default thanks all

Appreciate everyone's feedback. We have decided to go with a Sundance from Great Bay.
Sooo excited! Hoping to have it in about a week!

pmj