Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-08-2006, 05:12 PM   #1
beejhorton

Default Boat chauffeurs on the lake?

Other than the Millie B, are there any boat chauffeurs on the lake that will give boat rides from one place to another?

Thanks
beejhorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 07:49 PM   #2
Island Life

Default Glendale

Some years the Glendale Marina at the Glendale Public Docks runs a taxi service. All depends on how they are staffed for the season. I would try calling the various marinas.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:33 PM   #3
Waterbaby

Default Winni Taxi Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejhorton
Other than the Millie B, are there any boat chauffeurs on the lake that will give boat rides from one place to another?

Thanks
The past few years the Winnipesaukee Taxi Service (I think that's the name) has been running....... I don't know their phone # but if you do a search here, or check the links, I'm sure you can find out the info.
Waterbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:39 PM   #4
Smitty1

Winnie Taxi was sold last year and is no longer on Lake Winnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbaby
The past few years the Winnipesaukee Taxi Service (I think that's the name) has been running....... I don't know their phone # but if you do a search here, or check the links, I'm sure you can find out the info.
Smitty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:40 PM   #5
jrc

Winni Water Taxi aka Winni Lake Tours was sold and moved off the lake. No more yellow boat.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2006, 09:54 PM   #6
Airwaves

Is there really a viable business opportunity for a water taxi on Winnipesaukee these days?
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:17 PM   #7
jrc

The Winni Water Taxi changed to the Winni Lake Tours after about two seasons. Originally it was $8 per person from any dock to any dock. That business model seemed doomed from the start. And now at more than $3.00 a gallon and what 1-2 MPG, it's even more problematic.

I've met the owner through business dealings and I think he made decent money during the summer. This was after the change to a sightseeing boat. He didn't see a nickel from October to April. Plus he has a lot of overhead, he had to put up a lot of capital to buy or lease the boats. I'm sure the insurance was expensive, especially after the Ethan Allen accident.

I think there still is a market for alternative to the big cruise boats, they have pretty inflexible schedules. A true taxi service would be tough sledding, I can't see anyone making money just doing that.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 01:43 AM   #8
Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejhorton

Thanks
Here's a local Captain with a personal touch. http://www.jpboating.com/charters.htm
Old 06-10-2006, 11:23 AM   #9
Island Life

Default marinas

I don't know if a dedicated taxi service is viable, but marinas sometimes run taxi trips as a side business. I haven't used them since I bought a boat (3 years ago) but Glendale Marina used to charge $50 to take you out to one of the nearby islands. Seems expensive for such a short ride but it's a lot cheaper than buying, maintaining, storing, feeding, insuring and registering a boat.

I've heard that Fay's drives people out to islands sometimes but I don't know if that's a business practice or just a favor for a friend.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:38 PM   #10
somedaycame

Default water taxi

I belive that Fays still operates a water taxi service,maybe a call to them will confirm,293-0700.
somedaycame is offline   Reply With Quote