Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-28-2005, 09:59 AM   #1
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts
Default Proposal to Develop Bay View Pavillion (and the Dell-O Lodge)

From the Laconia Citizen - November 26, 2005

"ALTON — Since 1928, the Bay View Pavilion has been a two-story movie theater with an orchestra pit, boat storage, restaurant, and roller-skating rink. Now a long time resident is hoping to convert it into a seven unit condominium complex with two small retail stores......"

See complete article here....(PS - I did not have to register to view the article)

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...-1/citizen0107

Last edited by mcdude; 06-28-2006 at 09:44 AM.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 05:37 PM   #2
RumGuy

Default Skating

Some of my first dates were skating at the pavillion. There's a lot of fond memories there. The Oak Birch Inn was another great place.
RumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 10:11 PM   #3
Paugus Bay Resident

I too remember roller skating there in the 60s and watching the water ski show on the bay. Our parents would always go over to Dello's lodge while we hung out.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 07:15 AM   #4
mcdude

Default Dell-O-Lodge

Recognize this place? Built originally in the 1800's to accommodate people coming by rail and called the Winnipesogee House. Then the Winnipesaukee House and apparently at some point the Dell-O-Lodge with a swimming pool! I have been going to the lake for many years and always knew it as the Alton Bay Inn. Card reads, "Owner-management: Mr. and Mrs. Ralph J. Dello Iacono. Tel. Alton, N.H. TRiangle 5-7700. 'Everything for your vacation pleasure' Entertainment nightly, Movies, dancing with orchestra in recreation hall. Cabana and swimming pool. Good food, comfortable rooms, cocktail lounge. Ideally situated for all nearby sports and other activities. Gay atmosphere - informal and congenial. Only a 2 hour ride from Boston via Rt. #1 to Portsmouth, NH on to Spaulding Turnpike to Rochester, onto Rt. #11 to Alton Bay. Also trains from North Station and busses from Park Square, Boston. Rates Resonable.
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (01-13-2020)
Old 12-01-2005, 09:50 AM   #5
Dave R

I used to rollerskate there in the mid 1970s. Girls were "icky" then, so no dates.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2005, 09:52 PM   #6
Paugus Bay Resident

McDude,

Thanks for the postcards of Dello's. I'm going to print them off and show them to my 87 year old Mom. I'm sure it will bring back a lot of memories.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:41 PM   #7
Just Sold

Default Pavillion and Dello's

My first and only time roller skating was at the Pavillion in the 60's. Went with the family from Peggy's Cove. We went in the blue 54 Chevy wagon that they only used during the summer at their cottage. LC's mom drove. I enjoyed ice skating more than rollers on the wood floor.

I also remember the Dello Lodge. We never went there as it was quite the jumpin place way back then and my dad, was as you would say, a little too old fashioned for the place.

Thanks McD for the posts.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:01 PM   #8
gtxrider

Default Tilt

I only skated there once and seem to remember the floor sloping towards the back (bay side) of he building.

My dad, brother, nephew and I were in the building this summer for a tool sale and it seems much smaller inside.

Is my memory right?
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 02:01 PM   #9
John A. Birdsall

Unhappy paviliom

Roller Skating at the Pavilion was done at least once a month maybe a couple times more every summer. I have even taken my children their. Smaller, I don't think so, although it did not take me so much room to go around it.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 03:45 PM   #10
GTO

Default I heard.......

I had heard that Mr Bahre was going to buy it and store his cars and dolls there.....maybe that was just a rumor.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:00 PM   #11
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,064 Posts

GTXRider--- The interior has been remodelled, cutting in the the size of the floor space...kitchen..stage area..it's not as wide open as it was when it was the roller rink. At least by my recollection.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:47 PM   #12
mcdude

Default GTO: I heard that same Rumor!

"In October, the Alton Zoning Board of Adjustment granted three variances to Winnipesaukee Pavilion, which included relief from the minimum lot requirement, minimum parking requirements and multi-family unit restrictions."

Regarding the Bahre Resort Museum/Garage/Dollhouse/with living quarters for the guard/caretaker/tour director.....

"Charles Shield told the Zoning Board of Adjustment — which is rehearing the case based on an appeal from the Board of Selectmen — that the town is lucky to have someone to that is able to put the money into the upkeep of old cars."

The Alton ZBA hasn't seen this much action in years!

I'd be curious as to what the tax bill would be on this 45 foot tall car museum. It's waterfront property, right?

Concerning the Pavillion: I always thought the place would make a great "satellite" campus for the NH Boat Museum. Displays inside and seven (apparently) dock spaces outside to display some nice old garwoods, cruisers and a few Steelcrafts or Penn Yan Swifties.

How much interest do you think there would be for a condo with boatslip in this "historic building"?

McD
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (01-13-2020)
Old 12-02-2005, 07:24 PM   #13
Silver Duck

Default Funny Coincidence

seeing OakBirch and Dello's in the same thread. My best friend's dad used to be involved with OakBirch in the summers (maybe owned a piece of it?) and I remember him spending his summers up there.

And, my step-mom and her mother used to work at Dello's in the summers way back when (I'm pretty sure that they were related to the owners in some way!)

Too bad I started frequenting the big lake too late to be familiar with either one.

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 11:22 PM   #14
upthesaukee

Here's a link to the Alton section of Vision Appraisal's website:

Looking at the assessed tax base for Mr. Bahre (Robert) shows that currently he has nearly $20 Million (let's put in the zeros), that is to say
$20,000,000.00, in assessed property. That doesn't include the parcel(s) where Hannaford is going in.

Also, look at the values for young Mr. Bahre (Gary) and see he has approximately $12,000,000.00 assessed value property.

Take the proposed square footage of the building, place a really high custom built cost-per-square-foot value in, do the simple multiplication (with a calculator that has at least 8 characters, better to have 10, and safest to have 12! ), and see what additional tax assessment this gentleman will generate.

And remember, the structure will not look like the two story gambrel garage(s) we see around town, that have been there for 5 years, and have been wrapped in Tyvek...how do we know that, it isn't on the appraisal...'cause they never finished the outside, no cedar shakes, no clapboards.

I would anticipate that when finished, you would not recognize the garage as being such, and given the grand size of the estate, the building will fit nicely into the rest of the estate.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:54 PM   #15
MikeM

It would be good to see someone find a use for the place. its a shame that its just sits.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:10 AM   #16
WakeUp

Default ..aahhh the 'ol Pavillion...

Great memories are there. Some folks remember roller skating. I sparked up my first doobie behind the 'ol building. Forever in my heart!
WakeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:52 PM   #17
RumGuy

Default Hey

Hey, that was YOU? :cool
RumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 08:01 AM   #18
GTO

Default Doobie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeUp
Great memories are there. Some folks remember roller skating. I sparked up my first doobie behind the 'ol building. Forever in my heart!

Sparked up a Doobie. I never liked their music and always thought they were all a little light in the loafers and if you sparked one of them up...well thats your business. (lol)
Old 12-06-2005, 03:45 PM   #19
John A. Birdsall

Default pavilion use

My understanding of that property is that the parking lot belongs to the Town of Alton, and theirfore cannot use it to show cars, boats, etc. So that limits the use of the bldg. Yes in the past few years it has been a couple different things, The new red roof makes it look good. the wall in back was damaged I suppose by a storm and high water. I hope the water has receeded (SPELLING)??
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 04:58 PM   #20
upthesaukee

According to articles in the Baysider (?), there are a certain number of parking spots that are allocated to the Pavillion, which coincides with the number of units proposed.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:36 AM   #21
Mrs. Mosher

Ah, I was one of the icky girls skating there in the 70's. I stayed in either of the two upstairs apartments (at the time) to the left of the Pavillion (between the Pavillion and the public docks) for two months every summer back in the day... Used to be there to skate whenever it was open during the days. The same people from Florida owned the Pavillion, the apartments and a few other pieces of real estate there then.
Mrs. Mosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 10:30 AM   #22
nj2nh

Question Anything new about the Pavillion?

I haven't read the messages in a while, but noted with interest the story about the pavillion. Is there anything new to report?

I remember going to the pavillion in the 60's and early 70's. We didn't skate, but we entered through the door on the side and watched the skaters from the observation area, played the pinball and other games and ate ice cream. Wonderful memory. It is sad to see it so changed and yet I am glad to read that it could be saved.

Jersey Girl
nj2nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 09:37 AM   #23
TICTOC

Default Big Bands at Pavillion

We all remember either watching or skating at the Pavillion but how many remeber seeing or hearing the big bands playing there back in the 40's. I'm not certain of who all the bands were but do know that Guy Lombardo played there. Our cottage was on the hill across the street from the Pavillion and I remember sitting on the porch with my parents listening to the music. In fact, if you look at McDudes photo post of Alton Bay Campground, the photo labeled "Cottages on the hill", the blue and cream on is ours, which now belongs to my cousin.
TICTOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 09:45 AM   #24
mcdude

Talking Hillside Cottages

TIC TOC:
Is this the photo to which you are referring?

Old 01-11-2006, 03:06 PM   #25
TICTOC

Default Hillside Cottages

Yes McDude, that cottage was bought by my aunt & uncle in 1946 for the whopping price of $450 fully furnished. There's a buffet in the dining room that is worth about twice that much today. My aunt wanted my wife & I to have it but I knew I would not be able to pass the campground guidelines so asked her to give it to my cousin.
It seems you have a way of posting photos that bring back memories. I'm the one who was so please to see your postings of Hills Pond. Thanks for those and all your other fine photos.
TICTOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 01:41 PM   #26
mcdude

Cool Pavillion Plans Move Forward

This past Wednesday the Alton Planning Board accepted the site plan for the Pavillion project.

See complete Citizen article here... http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...0107/101250050

"While the current septic system installed in 1996 was not large enough, the state said, to handle a 400-500 seat restaurant, it is more than capable of handing the condominium proposal.

Each unit would be 12,000-15,000 square feet. They would be single-floor, two-bedroom units with 1 baths, with the living room on the lakeside giving residents access to a wrap-around porch. Each unit will also have a 30-foot boatslip associated with it."
Old 01-28-2006, 05:24 PM   #27
Senter Cove Guy

Default How Big???

12,000 - 15,000 sq ft? The Pavilion doesn't seem that big. I'd believe 1200 - 1500 sq ft.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:47 PM   #28
mcdude

Default Plan Not Officially Accepted Yet....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude
This past Wednesday the Alton Planning Board accepted the site plan for the Pavillion project.
....the 12,000 to 15,000 sq. feet is quoted from the Citizen! I, however, did not present the facts correctly - the site plan has been accepted "as complete".

from the Citizen
"While the Planning Board accepted the application as complete, it tabled taking a formal motion on the project to its meeting next month pending clarification from the fire chief regarding the need for a fire lane directly in front of the building and no parking".

sorry
Old 01-28-2006, 06:27 PM   #29
fpartri497

Talking Bay view pavillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude

See complete Citizen article here... http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...0107/101250050

"While the current septic system installed in 1996 was not large enough, the state said, to handle a 400-500 seat restaurant, it is more than capable of handing the condominium proposal.

(Each unit would be 12,000-15,000 square feet. They would be single-floor, two-bedroom units with 1 baths, with the living room on the lakeside giving residents access to a wrap-around porch. Each unit will also have a 30-foot boatslip associated with it."
(

Am I reading this correctly? 12000-15000 sq ft. each. that must be a missprint. My entire house ,Two story Is only 1325 sq ft.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:52 PM   #30
upthesaukee

Square footage is an obvious mistype by the Citizen. It cann hapen to thee breast of usssss.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:29 AM   #31
mcdude

Request for stories on Alton Bay View Pavilion

Friday, April 7, 2006

Do you remember dancing to the big bands at the Alton Bay View Pavilion? Were you a hot shot roller skater? Did you go to the pavilion with your best friend when it was a roller-skating to meet guys/girls? Did you meet your spouse at the rink? Did your parents meet there?

The Citizen is putting together a Sunday feature about the Alton Bay View Pavilion and the many people who went there over the years, whether it was to listen to bands, play pinball, roller skate or have a bite to eat.

Do you have pictures or any paraphernalia, whether it be a napkin with the phone number of your crush on it that you met at the roller skating rink, a ticket stub, an old pair of roller skates, a skate key or flyer advertising an old time band that played at the pavilion? Or do you have a story to tell? We would like to hear from you.

Please e-mail or call Melanie Nelson at mnelsoncitizen.com or 1-800-564-3806 x 5930
Old 06-28-2006, 09:43 AM   #32
mcdude

Talking

May I have this dance?

a rare postcard find! dated 1920 something - postmark difficult to read.

I recently read in the BAYSIDER that Unit B sold for $750,000. (yikes!)
Old 07-26-2006, 04:38 PM   #33
mcdude

Lightbulb

....and construction has begun.....
Old 12-01-2007, 11:47 AM   #34
mcdude

Old decal from the Pavilion when it was a roller skating rink.