Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #1
Old Hubbard Rd

Default New GPS w/Trail maps & Twin Mountain Sledding 1/12/2013

Group of us from Meredith decided to try and go sledding this past weekend. We did not feel like traveling to Pittsburg (4+ hour ride) so we looked at the NH snow depth map and decided that Twin Mountain area looked good. I contacted the Twin Mountain snowmobile Club and they said the upper elevations were very good and lower elevations were ok. That was very true!! We dropped at Fabians and headed toward Berlin. We tried to stay North east as we rode as the NH depth map stated that area was best. We had 80 miles of perfect trails and about 20 miles of iffy trail riding. The iffy part came as we left Berlin and headed slightly west toward Twin Mountain, forgetting that we should have stayed east. I usually enjoy not back tracking and enjoy trying different trails both going out and coming back. We ran into about 20 sleds the entire day. No one was out. Weather was perfect. It was raining in Meredith area when we left for Twin Mtn. The Fish & Game were definitely out as they pinch one member of our group on one of the straight aways. I used my new GPS and its downloaded trail maps. It worked pretty well. I few operator errors but over all it was nice knowing where we were and where the trails would lead you and connect to other trails. The adjustable mounting bracket for the GPS that is mounted on my sled was perfect. The GPS never moved. The accuracy of the trails was amazingly good. I did not expect them to be that good. Its also nice to come home and download the info onto your computer and see where you went, what speeds, how long you were out riding and how long many miles you did riding verses sitting still. I look forward to experimenting more with the unit. Feel free to contact me with any questions.
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hubbard Rd View Post
Group of us from Meredith decided to try and go sledding this past weekend. We did not feel like traveling to Pittsburg (4+ hour ride) so we looked at the NH snow depth map and decided that Twin Mountain area looked good. I contacted the Twin Mountain snowmobile Club and they said the upper elevations were very good and lower elevations were ok. That was very true!! We dropped at Fabians and headed toward Berlin. We tried to stay North east as we rode as the NH depth map stated that area was best. We had 80 miles of perfect trails and about 20 miles of iffy trail riding. The iffy part came as we left Berlin and headed slightly west toward Twin Mountain, forgetting that we should have stayed east. I usually enjoy not back tracking and enjoy trying different trails both going out and coming back. We ran into about 20 sleds the entire day. No one was out. Weather was perfect. It was raining in Meredith area when we left for Twin Mtn. The Fish & Game were definitely out as they pinch one member of our group on one of the straight aways. I used my new GPS and its downloaded trail maps. It worked pretty well. I few operator errors but over all it was nice knowing where we were and where the trails would lead you and connect to other trails. The adjustable mounting bracket for the GPS that is mounted on my sled was perfect. The GPS never moved. The accuracy of the trails was amazingly good. I did not expect them to be that good. Its also nice to come home and download the info onto your computer and see where you went, what speeds, how long you were out riding and how long many miles you did riding verses sitting still. I look forward to experimenting more with the unit. Feel free to contact me with any questions.
Funny, we have been doing that for 8-9 years now. But we do not purchase the maps but make our own as we ride.
Gotta love NH, "Live Free and Slow down state" 45mph on sleds, ATV and the big lake.
I'm heading out this weekend to break in a new engine. Should be great riding after the temps drop and it gets hard again.