Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #1
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow NASCAR at NHMS this Weekend

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that this is a big NASCAR weekend at New Hampshire Motor Speedway.

You may want to plan your travels accordingly.

Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
bclaker (07-13-2011), good4uccm (07-13-2011), samosetguy (07-12-2011), VitaBene (07-12-2011)
Old 07-12-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
moose tracks

Location: Loudon, Tennessee, foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that this is a big NASCAR weekend at New Hampshire Motor Speedway.
Leaving for NH Thursday night. Going to the track on Saturday to see the Mods. I prefer the Mods over the Cup cars. I will watch the Cup race on TV. To many people and trafic on Sunday for me. Anyone else going to Loudon this weekend?
Old 07-12-2011, 08:13 PM   #3
Skip

Default Plenty of free tickets floating around for Sunday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose tracks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post

Leaving for NH Thursday night. Going to the track on Saturday to see the Mods. I perfer the Mods over the Cup cars. I will watch the Cup race on TV. To many people and trafic on Sunday for me. Anyone else going to Loudon this weekend?
Might not be too many people this Sunday. The track is giving away thousands of free tickets across the State to a variety of agencies and politicos in an attempt once again to fill the stands. They offered the entity I work for 800 tickets alone!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:03 PM   #4
trfour

Thumbs up Buy A Ticket And Go To A NasCar Race At NHMS...

And or donate it to someone who would appreciate it!
http://www.nhms.com/handler.cfm/temp...med_id=1427665

You got to be there in person, ( at least once to talk about it ).
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...php?photo=1304

Wanna beast's. ...

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:45 AM   #5
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Might not be too many people this Sunday. The track is giving away thousands of free tickets across the State to a variety of agencies and politicos in an attempt once again to fill the stands. They offered the entity I work for 800 tickets alone!
Although I've been an auto racing fan since I was a kid, I really didn't get into NASCAR Cup racing until the early 90's. My brother, my wife, and I had tickets to both races in July and Sept. (Laconia Grandstand, turn 4) for many years.
For those of us that have been to a Cup race at Loudon, there truly is "nothing like being there". Having said that, even with all of the improvements that the Bahre Family made over the years, the hassle of the traffic, the summer heat, and in the end, ticket pricing, made us give our tickets up. In the 90's and early 2000's there was a waiting list of 30,000 people looking to get tickets. Now the races don't sell out and they have to advertise heavily. NASCAR has grown epicly in the last 20 years but the economy is affecting them just like all of us.

BT
Old 07-13-2011, 10:25 AM   #6
jmen24

Skip, are you sure that the tickets were for Sunday's race. They might be, but the reason I ask is that they gave every household in Loudon 2 tickets for Saturday's races and a few other private orgs got the same. If they gave away Sunday tickets as well, then that is truely a gesture from a group. The economy is hitting NASCAR really hard these last few years.

Unless it is a military type organization than the Sunday tickets make sense, happens quite a bit.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:07 AM   #7
Skip

Default Definitely Sunday's Lenox 300 race

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
Skip, are you sure that the tickets were for Sunday's race. They might be, but the reason I ask is that they gave every household in Loudon 2 tickets for Saturday's races and a few other private orgs got the same. If they gave away Sunday tickets as well, then that is truely a gesture from a group. The economy is hitting NASCAR really hard these last few years.

Unless it is a military type organization than the Sunday tickets make sense, happens quite a bit.
Definitely Sunday tickets, which we've been offered before but never such a staggering amount. As of today there have only been a handful of people choosing to take them.

Have had several acquaintances from other agencies telling me the same offer is being made across the State.

As another poster noted above I too was a season ticket holder (four tickets) for both races for over a decade but gave them up several years ago after the hassle at Loudon took it's toll on us. Today I wouldn't even go with the free ticket offer. NASCAR has left me behind with a lot of changes they've made the last few years that I think have really taken a lot of the challenge and sport out of the races.

That said I wish the new owners well and hope that even with the economy in the state that it is that they have a good turnout for the weekend!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
Happy Gourmand

Default Mitt will be there

from WMUR
"Romney strategist Jim Merrill said the former Massachusetts Governor will meet with drivers in the infield and then hang out in the owner’s box."
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:21 PM   #9
SIKSUKR

They are giving away many tickets for Sundays race. Last week the Fischer Cats had a promo to the first 300 people that bought tickets would also get free tickets to the Sprint race on Sunday. I questioned if they were for Saturday also until I read the offer. You could buy tickets to the FC's for as little as $6. Parking however will cost you a little more.

Last edited by SIKSUKR; 07-14-2011 at 08:54 AM.
SIKSUKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:26 PM   #10
jmen24

No kidding. They have got to be hurting bad to be giving out that volume of tickets for Sunday. Good for you guys.

Skip, could not agree more with the direction that NASCAR has taken in recent years. Everyone I know that went every year has also given up the tickets. The new cars on Loudon are extremely boring, IMO. Saturday is usually a good show and has been for years.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:02 PM   #11
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
The new cars on Loudon are extremely boring, IMO. Saturday is usually a good show and has been for years.
The new cars the old cars does it really matter they both stink, the track itself is boring with those cars. The modifieds was the only show that was worth going to, I guess the trucks put on a pretty decent show. The track is to flat and needs banking and when Smith took it over there was hope but not anymore. The camping out and partying with your friends was the best part but they ruined that when they started charging you for that and now those numbers are now way down.I see them loosing a race very soon, or should I say Smith moving it to one of his other tracks. Although people are not to happy with him after last weeks episode in Kentucky.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:21 PM   #12
trfour

Default NHMS Preview Show

Video/s; http://www.nascar.com/video/preview/...iew/index.html

Terry

PS. Yes, we are all feeling the pinch of todays economy! Remember though that the good days will one day return to Loudon NH. and NHMS through NasCar's interests in the fan base this area is, and will become. And also important to remember is that none of the previous NasCar ticket sellouts at NHIS, were attended or purchased by the majority that have posted in this very thread...

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 07-14-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:20 AM   #13
gtxrider

Default Will miss this one

A couple of years ago, two I think, Mr. Bahre gave away a few tickets at the Sandy Point Resturant. We had a tickets we could not use so we gave them back.

Attended both races last year but will miss this weekend not due to econonmic pressure. My couch will have to do on Sunday. I plan on being there for the fall race and perhaps the Indy car race in August.

GO Junior
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:55 PM   #14
trfour

Default After Qualifying

The race lineup for Sundays Lenox Industrial Tools 301 at NHMS.
http://www.nascar.com/races/cup/2011...ta/lineup.html

Terry

Old 07-17-2011, 06:19 PM   #15
Argie's Wife

Thumbs up

The race got out and traffic is STACKED up in Alton - whoa! We've got people inching by the house, whooping it up and waving. Lots of grills in the backs of pickup trucks and lots of out-of-state plates.

It's nice to see the good turn out - hoping the tourist industry did well this weekend!!!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:30 AM   #16
Superduty1

Well, whether they gave the tickets away or you bought them, the stands for Sundays Sprint Cup race were at near capacity. It was good to see all the fans come out on a great sunny day in New Hampshire. I sure hope the new owners don't take a race away from Loudon because Nascar is good for New Hampshire. Even if you got the tickets for free, you spent money somewhere in this great state, either on gas, six pack, lodging, dinner, D and D, local supermarket, souvenirs at the track, you get the point.
Superduty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:44 AM   #17
Grove84

Cool Anchor Marine Radio Ad Boat Rentals

On my drive up to the lake this past weekend and then while on the water I heard that Anchor Marine is renting boats and according to their radio ad,you must be 21 years old with a valid drivers license. What about a safe boaters license? Curious as to how they could rent boats to people on this body of water and they may never have operated a boat before or know the lake or the basic boating rules of the road
Grove84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:19 PM   #18
ishoot308

Thanked 4,985 Times in 1,932 Posts
Default 20 Question Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grove84 View Post
On my drive up to the lake this past weekend and then while on the water I heard that Anchor Marine is renting boats and according to their radio ad,you must be 21 years old with a valid drivers license. What about a safe boaters license? Curious as to how they could rent boats to people on this body of water and they may never have operated a boat before or know the lake or the basic boating rules of the road
They simply take the 20 question boating exam and get a temporary permit good for a few days. Every rental place on the lake offers this...

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #19
trfour

Default Back On Topic

Press Pass video/s; http://www.nascar.com/video/post-rac...man/index.html

Winning from the pole, Ryan Newman.

Terry

Old 07-19-2011, 09:07 AM   #20
Barney Bear

Default Race Day Traffic

We left East Bear Island later than usual on Sunday to avoid most of the traffic leaving the speedway. We got on I-93 at Exit 20 [Tilton] and headed south at about 8:30 PM. The temporary modifications to traffic flow in the Concorsd area allowed us to move through at a reasonable pace. Congratulations to the NH Highway Department for a job well done!!!
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:38 AM   #21
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superduty1 View Post
. I sure hope the new owners don't take a race away from Loudon because Nascar is good for New Hampshire.
Unfortunately as a race fan for many years, I see the direction I believe Nascar is taking, or trying to take. Eventually NH is bound to lose one of the races. Slowly raceways are being built all over the country. I do believe the eventual goal of Nascar is to have tracks all over the country such that every venue and every corner of the country will have a race. This will mean that tracks like NHMS will end up forfeiting a second date. I believe that eventually the only tracks that will hold two events will be Daytona, and Talladega.

Last edited by LIforrelaxin; 07-19-2011 at 10:54 AM.
LIforrelaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:43 AM   #22
SIKSUKR

Default Did people leave early because of the heat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superduty1 View Post
Well, whether they gave the tickets away or you bought them, the stands for Sundays Sprint Cup race were at near capacity.
I didn't go to this race but I turned it on the tv with about 40 laps left and there was thousands and thousands of empty seats then.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:48 AM   #23
Webbsatwinni

We went Sat for the modifieds, it was hot but a great day. They should have more misting stations though, the people were way overheated. I don't know why they were dehydrated, they were drinking lots of liquids.
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:16 PM   #24
SPT13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I didn't go to this race but I turned it on the tv with about 40 laps left and there was thousands and thousands of empty seats then.
I went Sunday, there were a lot of empty seats compared to yrs ago. There was a decent breeze, so heat wasnt to bad were we sat. A lot of people started to leave with 40-50 laps left, to beat traffic I assume
SPT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:19 PM   #25
sa meredith

Default unsold

Thousands upon thousands of unsold tickets...despite advertising blitz past month or so...newspaper, radio, TV. Very little walk up crowd purchase.
This coming from a race day volunteer that I know, who directs traffic in the lots.
Says Fall race has 20K plus seats still available.
This is by no means a situation unique to NH. This sport routinely sold out every track it went to, for years and years, as the sport simply exploded in the early/mid 90's, into the early 2000's.
Now watch a Sunday race...pockets of empty seats are every where.
I was absolutely shocked...shocked...to be watching speed vision, and see an ad letting people know that tickets are available for the Bristol night race. After Daytona, it was considered one of the toughest race tickets to come by...Saturday Night at Bristol.
Now, they are trying hard to sell it out.
Sign of times???? I say not so much...
The sport has changed a bit, but really, for me, it just ran it's course. I enjoyed it for a solid 9/10 years, watched every week, but as my sports plate was full enough, I finally just had enough.
I think as time goes on, these venues that now all hold 100K plus, will never sell out.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #26
LIforrelaxin

sa_meredith I don't disagree with you that for some people NASCAR has run it course it is out of there system and they are paying less attention to the sport. However I believe most of those people, where also the ones, that didn't go to the track to begin with. For many many people that I know who go or have gone to races religiously, the current economy has play a roll into the decision to purchase race tickets or not.

Lets start with the ticket price... At Loudon, the last time I went my tickets alone where 110$ a piece and very nice seats, when I went to Daytona my tickets where something like 180$ a piece. It gets awfully expensive to take your family to the race track for an enjoyable afternoon. My excursions to Loudon, have cost me anywhere from 500$ to 700$ by the time the weekend is over, when I include gas and food for the weekend. Luckily I have a place to stay so I never have lodging expenses.

Unfortunately NASCAR is not the only sport suffering for the problem, watch football games, basketball teams, etc. The only ones that sell out are the ones that are consistently winning. the difference is that in those sports it is a little easier to not show the empty seats, as once the game starts all those seats close to the playing area get filled as spectators move around. However in NASCAR the seats that get acquired after the start of the race, are the ones higher up in the stands. So the seats closest to the track end up empty, and on tv.

Unfortunately spectator sports have gotten outrageously expensive to see live. Nascar like any other sport is falling victim to this, and now we are starting to see its effects even in venues where they where traditionally sold out for years.

Finally if you ask me someone who has watched racing for over 30 years, the lack of character and uniqueness in the drivers today, has also caused some of the attendance issues at the track. The are all now highly polished, and politically correct. The reason, that men like Dale Earnhardt, Bill Elliot, Buddy Baker, etc. help the sport grow, is that they where down to earth, no where near politically correct, and spoke there mind. The sport has lost some of it roots. People don't have nicknames anymore, no Intimidator, no King... Sure smoke has come along, but it is not the same. racing is falling into the slump of most professional sports, there are no captivating personalities, any more that make your turn in every week, just to see what they might try to get away with.
Winnisquamguy (07-20-2011)
Old 07-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #27
SIKSUKR

Ya, I guess Jimmy Johnson is too nice of a guy LI.

Wow, the Luoden tickets were $110? Yikes. I've never sat in the stands so I've never bought those seats. I have a few friends that have Rv's trackside on the hill so I get on their list and buy a general admision ticket. I think the last one a few years ago was around $55. What I like about being there is your not confined to a seat and get to walk around and barbecue etc. Getting too hot?...jump in the rv and watch a little in there, along with replays of the crashes. Don't know if I want to go in the grandstands after being in that area.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:07 PM   #28
ishoot308

I must be missing something because I just do not see or get the attraction... 20 or 30 race cars all going around in a circle and all forced to go the same speed due to restrictor plates for 300 revolutions while the crowd bakes on aluminum seats in the hot sun...??? O.K, so I was told the race is won or lost by the pit crew... gotchya... so why not just have the pit crews change tires and refuel a car 10 times and see which crew is quickest and determine a winner rather than wasting all that fuel going around in circles at the same speed 300 times...??? What am I missing??? Maybe if they got rid of the restrictor plates it just might make it a tad more interesting!

Just an fyi...I have been to NHMS for the big races twice, once in the aluminum grandstands and once in a luxury box. Both times I felt I would have been better off staying at my RV in the campground watching the race on the big screen, or better yet at home! I absolutely hated it!

Ducking for cover now!

Dan
Old 07-19-2011, 10:22 PM   #29
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
I must be missing something because I just do not see or get the attraction... 20 or 30 race cars all going around in a circle and all forced to go the same speed due to restrictor plates for 300 revolutions while the crowd bakes on aluminum seats in the hot sun...??? O.K, so I was told the race is won or lost by the pit crew... gotchya... so why not just have the pit crews change tires and refuel a car 10 times and see which crew is quickest and determine a winner rather than wasting all that fuel going around in circles at the same speed 300 times...??? What am I missing??? Maybe if they got rid of the restrictor plates it just might make it a tad more interesting!

Just an fyi...I have been to NHMS for the big races twice, once in the aluminum grandstands and once in a luxury box. Both times I felt I would have been better off staying at my RV in the campground watching the race on the big screen, or better yet at home! I absolutely hated it!

Ducking for cover now!

Dan
No reason to duck for cover, your response is honesty...what is better then that... Although I love going to races, I find it more practical to watch them at home... With the occassional trip to a race track. While it is great fun tailgating and meeting people with a similar interest. After a year or two, it just seems to loose the excitement. Right now I am trying to decide which race track I want to go check out next... And then I am going to work towards a nice vacation, with the race as one of the highlights of the trip at a track I have never visited before. Las Vegas currently has some appeal....
Old 07-20-2011, 06:41 AM   #30
challmec

I too have been following racing for many years and have seen the change in the sport..
Its all about sponsorship and driver image.. Yes the days of Dale and Bill and Richard are long gone and their larger than life images fading.. The best racing to be watching is still the local Saturday night racing tracks... Guys out there doing what they love to do for the sport ,not so much about the money!!!

Only an opinion here and viewed from these eyes!!
challmec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:00 AM   #31
spider22

Quote:

Ducking for cover now!

Dan
Somebody correct me if I am wrong but I don't think they use restricter plates at Loudon.
spider22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:12 AM   #32
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider22 View Post
Somebody correct me if I am wrong but I don't think they use restrictor plates at Loudon.
They used restrictor plates at NHMS once, it was a mess. They have not used them at NHMS since the "softer-barriers" were installed. Much safer now. There is nothing like standing down on the walkway in front of the stands going into turn 1 when the race restarts. Pure power!!

Also, there are 43 cars, minus the three or four "start and parkers" in the race.

I used to go to several races a year, two at NHMS and two others, usually Daytona plus a random track. I now go to one or two a year at NHMS. It is not as interesting as it was in the 90's but it is still a good show. Going once or twice a year gives me a better feel for what is happening when I watch NASCAR on TV.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:32 AM   #33
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider22 View Post
Somebody correct me if I am wrong but I don't think they use restricter plates at Loudon.
I know for a fact they used them at one of the races I went to. This was back in 2000 or 2001. They were 1" restrictor plates and were the talk of the crowd. I believe they still use them at Talladega and Daytona not positive though.,..

Dan
Old 07-20-2011, 09:35 AM   #34
Resident 2B

Quote:
I know for a fact they used them at one of the races I went to. This was back in 2000 or 2001. They were 1" restrictor plates and were the talk of the crowd. I believe they still use them at Talladega and Daytona not positive though.,..

Dan
Dan,

You are correct about when they used them at the then NHIS, now NHMS. It was a result of a few very unfortunate accidents.

They are still used at Daytona and Talladega, totally different tracks.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:49 PM   #35
John A. Birdsall

Default race track attendees

this is much like going to see a guy wack a little white ball and then go chase it. sometimes scratching his head cause the little ball fell in a hole and his club won't go in there. He then looks around and if nobody is looking he picks up the ball and puts it in his pocket. Does this for perhaps 18 holes.
I suppose standing in a crowd watching the cars go around and around makes sense to some. But unless they have an accident then whats the fun.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:16 PM   #36
trfour

Default More Videos

From NHMS with flyover; http://www.nhms.com/multimedia/video/

Terry

Old 07-21-2011, 09:36 AM   #37
Mr. V

One sport that is ascending is the recently reborn woman's sport, Roller Derby.

In Portland, anyway, it is regularly sold out.

I see you have it in New Hampshire as well:

http://www.nhrollerderby.com/
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:33 PM   #38
Winnisquamguy

Newman's modified win was taken away here is a short article I got from Jayski.

Newman's race winning modified confiscated by NASCAR: UPDATE: The car Sprint Cup Series driver Ryan Newman drove to victory in Saturday's NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour F.W. Webb 100 at New Hampshire Motor Speedway was confiscated by NASCAR during post-race inspection. NASCAR spokesman Jason Christley said the car was confiscated to allow NASCAR to make further evaluations concerning restrictor plate and airflow issues with the motor on the car. Newman, who won the pole in qualifying for the event on Thursday, beat second place finisher Todd Szegedy to the checkered flag by 1.901 seconds on Saturday. "The action is not necessarily an indication of any impending penalty," Christley said. The car will be taken by NASCAR to their Research and Development Center in Concord, N.C. for further inspection.(Hartford Courant)(7-17-2011)
UPDATE: NASCAR announced the #7 team that competes in the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour has been penalized as a result of rules violations committed Saturday, July 16 at New Hampshire Motor Speedway in Loudon, N.H. The team was found to be in violation of Sections 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing); 12-4-I (car, car parts, components and/or equipment used do not conform to NASCAR rules); and 20D-5.9P (the intake manifold ports did not completely seal to the cylinder head ports. The use of metal shim-type intake manifold gaskets is not permitted) of the 2011 NASCAR rule book. The violations were discovered during post-race inspection on July 16. Mike LaRochelle, crew chief of car #7, has been suspended from all NASCAR regional touring series events until Dec. 31, 2011. Kevin Manion, owner of car #7, has been disqualified from the July 16 New Hampshire race, and has been suspended from all NASCAR regional touring series events until Dec. 31, 2011. Ryan Newman, driver of car #7, has been disqualified from the July 16 New Hampshire race.(NASCAR)(7-20-2011)
moose tracks (07-22-2011)
Old 07-21-2011, 10:59 PM   #39
trfour

Post Disheartening News, WG

I took a quick look out at NHMS's website and found the ( NasCar ticket there too ). http://www.nhms.com/media/news/593366.html

Ryan is a great Chauffeur and of course had nothing to do with the engine setup on the #7 car. However, and rightly so, got busted by association, so to speak...

He did win the most important race of the weekend there at NHMS that will help him and his team in the chase for the SprintCup finals, later on this year...

There is a lot more to NasCar racing than some folks think. Too many variables to go into here. Sophistication and the Space shuttle, are of no interest to some, wise?...

Terry

Old 07-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #40
Winnisquamguy

Yes I am big fan of Newman and agree with you he has no idea about the motor in the car. Tough break for the whole team, Kevin Mannion is somewhat of a local guy (Portland Maine) he was Martin Truex Jr's crew chief for a long time. But like you said he did win the big one, and the one that counts the most, hopefully that locks him into the chase now.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:20 AM   #41
rander7823

Default Isn't he some type of engineer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
Yes I am big fan of Newman and agree with you he has no idea about the motor in the car. Tough break for the whole team, Kevin Mannion is somewhat of a local guy (Portland Maine) he was Martin Truex Jr's crew chief for a long time. But like you said he did win the big one, and the one that counts the most, hopefully that locks him into the chase now.
I like like Ryan Newman...He had a great quote after crashing into the pit entrance wall. It went something like "I was coming in a little fast , hit the brakes and ran out of talent, then I hit the wall." Very funny.
rander7823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:48 AM   #42
Winnisquamguy

Yes you are correct he is a graduate of Purdue with a degree engineering. More and more crew chiefs are needing a degree, there is not to many "old school" crew chiefs left. Its been that way with the Indy cars forever, but you are seeing more pit crew guys having some kind of schooling.

After a week off they are headed to the Brickyard!
Old 08-01-2011, 08:16 AM   #43
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Speaking of NASCAR

Maybe this is what Loudon needs. Too Funny!

http://www.wmur.com/video/28666075/detail.html
Old 05-12-2013, 07:19 AM   #44
Winnisquamguy

Default Tire Test

LOUDON -- The Cup guys are coming.

Jeff Gordon and Matt Kenseth and a few of their rivals in NACAR's Sprint Cup series descend on New Hampshire Motor Speedway this week.

For NHMS, it's a week for testing and ticketing.

Gordon, Kenseth, Joey Logano, Clint Bowyer, Jeff Burton and Dave Blaney are due at the track on Tuesday and Wednesday for a Goodyear tire test.

On Monday, speedway officials will team up with the Manchester Police Department and give out tickets - the good kind of tickets - in the city.

To help kick off Buckle Up NH Week, police will set up a seatbelt check on Elm Street near the Verizon Wireless Arena from noon to 2 p.m. Those who are checked and are wearing seatbelts will receive a pair of tickets to the New Hampshire 300 Sprint Cup race on July 14.

Gordon and the rest are scheduled to hit the track at 9 a.m. on Tuesday.

They'll put their cars through the paces on the one-mile oval so Goodyear can come up with statistics and data to determine what it wants and needs for a tire for when the Cup folks return here for real for races in July and September.

Along the way during testing, the drivers will gain all the track knowledge possible and look for any little bit of an edge for the New Hampshire 300.

The grandstands will be open on Tuesday and Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and fans can watch the drivers and their teams free of charge. The testing session is closed, though, and no one will be allowed in the infield.

Kenseth and Bowyer were both in the top five in Sprint Cup points going into Saturday night's race at Darlington. Kenseth moved from 11th to fourth in the standings when penalties against Joe Gibbs Racing for using an illegal engine part during the race he won in April at Kansas were reduced.

The penalty went from 50 to 12 points after Gibbs appealed the ruling.

Bowyer was fifth in points. Gordon was 14th, Logano 18th, Jeff Burton 19th and Blaney 30th going to Darlington.

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20130512/SPORTS1101/130519872

Old 05-12-2013, 07:20 AM   #45
tis

Thanked 1,393 Times in 966 Posts

That means we should see the jets start to come in, huh?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #46
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Don't hold your breath, this thread was from 2 years ago.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #47
tis

Thanked 1,393 Times in 966 Posts

Oh, LOL, I didn't notice. I usually do notice if it is an old thread but didn't this time. Thanks, I won't be looking for those jets flying over!!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (05-12-2013)
Old 05-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #48
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Oh, LOL, I didn't notice. I usually do notice if it is an old thread but didn't this time. Thanks, I won't be looking for those jets flying over!!
That's OK, been there done that more then once over the years.
It is easy to get caught up and not notice.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:37 PM   #49
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
You have a few more months race is not until July 14 this year.

I didn't feel there was a need to start a new thread as this thread is all about NASCAR.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:49 AM   #50
baassoc

Default Nascar

For what it's worh, there some Tickets up for Auctiion at a local Gilford church: http://www.umcgilford.org/ lot:117
baassoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #51
Winnisquamguy

Just a heads up, their is some teams coming to test tires this Tuesday, and Wednesday. Click on link for more info.
http://www.nhms.com/media/headlines/631662.html
Scott's Yott (06-23-2013)