Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-13-2009, 08:41 AM   #1
KonaChick

Default Low Flying Helicopter/Saturday

Anyone else have an encounter with the bozo in the blue and black helicopter on Saturday (7/11)? We encountered him between Cook's Point and Bear Island. He kept swooping down close to boats and it looked like he had some sort of camera attached to the front of the helicopter. We couldn't figure out what he was doing. We didn't pay him much attention until we got close to our dock. Our 14 year old son was at the healm and headed toward our dock (my husband is working with him on docking) when this fool swoops down and hovers above us. He was so close I could see everyone in the copter and could even see what they were wearing and what type of sunglasses they had on!! Of course my son's attention goes to the jerk, and remember he's trying to dock the boat. My husband tells our son to stop the boat, which he does, until the copter leaves. I'm waving them off and their reaction is to laugh hysterically and clap their hands like 3 year olds. They were THAT close that I could see their reactions. They finally leave and I was so mad I call the MP. They said it's not their jurisdiction but the FAA's, but they did ask my location and sent an MP officer over to cruise the area. Next time this happens I call the FAA. If you're hovering above me in my boat so close I can see what color your shirt is you're too close, and my attention is NOT on the water where it should be but on you!! THINK THINK THINK!!! Had to vent, thanks for letting me
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:54 AM   #2
wifi

Remember to get the the tail number, when it (hopefully doesn't) happen next time.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:50 AM   #3
GTO

Default Saw him too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
Remember to get the the tail number, when it (hopefully doesn't) happen next time.
I was watching him from my dock in Meredith which was pretty far from where he actually was. I noticed how low he was flying and thought maybe there was some type of rescue or search going on, but if he was doing what you said he was doing....then he is an idiot. It was busy enough on the lake Saturday (with every Cap't bonehead out there) that we didn't need any more distractions than there already was.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:47 AM   #4
SAUGUS BOATER

Default Low Flying Chopper

It's probably the same dude that crashed into the water while trying to land on a dock on Pine Island last fall that I saw on the news.

I love watching the assorted aircraft zoom over the lake in the summer (A10's, ultralights, choppers, seaplanes, etc.), but it sounds like this guy was out of line.
SAUGUS BOATER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
GaryP1007

I didnt see the helicopter but I did see a low flying airplane by Rattlesnake. The plane couldnt have been more than 200 feet above the water. I am a pilot and love flying, but this person gives the general aviation industry a very bad name. I was unable to get his "N" number....but would have reported him if I had.
GaryP1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
VtSteve

Could it have been a photo-taking company for the Poker Run?
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:17 PM   #7
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAUGUS BOATER View Post
It's probably the same dude that crashed into the water while trying to land on a dock on Pine Island last fall that I saw on the news.

I love watching the assorted aircraft zoom over the lake in the summer (A10's, ultralights, choppers, seaplanes, etc.), but it sounds like this guy was out of line.

It was a big chopper, not a small one like the one on Pine. I saw it as well. A modern style like a Bell 429 or S-76C.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:33 AM   #8
samosetguy

Default Copter

I did see it and I did think its flying was potentially dangerous/obnoxious. At times it appeared to be filming a group of sail boats in the middle of the Broads and at other times it appeared to be filming anything nearby. It was swooping up and down coming pretty low at times.

At the time I was wondering what kind of license someone must get to put everyone on the water at risk by zipping up and down over innocent people trying to enjoy the day.
samosetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:53 AM   #9
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Exclamation This Guy is Nuts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryP1007 View Post
I didnt see the helicopter but I did see a low flying airplane by Rattlesnake. The plane couldnt have been more than 200 feet above the water. I am a pilot and love flying, but this person gives the general aviation industry a very bad name. I was unable to get his "N" number....but would have reported him if I had.
This person flew over our camp twice in the past couple of weeks. The first time they came over, I thought for sure the plane would hit the trees above me. I do have a depth perception problem, but I know it was way too low. It was only slightly higher on the second flight. Next time I hear it coming (it is extremely loud) I will try to get a picture. I could be wrong, but I think the island can create some crazy wind patterns that could really be deadly for such behavior. I know that sailboats usually stay a good distance away because of it.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:57 AM   #10
Seaplane Pilot

Sounds like we need another law...
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:39 AM   #11
C_Duff

Exclamation

If you see this guy again. Record all the information you can (Tail #, color of a/c, date/time, location, direction he came from/left anything to identify him) then contact the
Local FAA Flight Standards office at:

The Portland, Maine FSDO
Portland International Jetport
412 Yellowbird Road
Portland, Maine 04102

Phone: (207) 780-3263, FAX: (207) 780-3296
C_Duff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:42 AM   #12
C_Duff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
Sounds like we need another law...
There already are laws

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text....1.4.7&idno=14
Old 07-14-2009, 06:55 PM   #13
KonaChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Duff View Post
If you see this guy again. Record all the information you can (Tail #, color of a/c, date/time, location, direction he came from/left anything to identify him) then contact the
Local FAA Flight Standards office at:

The Portland, Maine FSDO
Portland International Jetport
412 Yellowbird Road
Portland, Maine 04102

Phone: (207) 780-3263, FAX: (207) 780-3296
Thank you C Duff. Like I said I will be calling if it happens again or I see it happen to someone else and I encourage EVERYONE to do the same if they have a bad encounter with this bozo!!
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:13 AM   #14
ApS

Question Northwest-bound Cessna?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryP1007 View Post
"...I didnt see the helicopter but I did see a low flying airplane by Rattlesnake..."
If it was a late model blue & white Cessna with amphibious floats, I saw it the same day from "The Broads" off Rattlesnake. It settled quite low as though to land on the lake near Welch Island. (But it didn't).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
"...I could be wrong, but I think the island can create some crazy wind patterns that could really be deadly for such behavior. I know that sailboats usually stay a good distance away because of it..."
Rattlesnake Island does have some interesting patterns: When quietly sailing on "The Broads" side, you can hear powerboats on the opposite side! Is the noise being transmitted through the granite?

Oftentimes sailing—when wind is everywhere else on the lake—there is NO wind off Rattlesnake: Sometimes the existing wind "reverses", pulling a sailboat closer than intended!
Old 07-15-2009, 12:00 PM   #15
gravy boat

Default Low flying copter

yes, we saw him while docked at Glendale for a bit on Saturday. Hovered a few times, cruised back and forth along the shoreline. Bizarre. Only thing I can figure is someone was taking film or photos of various areas. Or has his high-powered boat in the shop so instead of heading to the Naswa to find a date he has to buzz the shoreline for bikinis.

GB
gravy boat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:02 PM   #16
gravy boat

Default Solution

I know I've suggested this method before....how about a good water balloon launcher?
gravy boat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:10 PM   #17
Ropetow

You mean like this?

http://www.balloonbazooka.com/
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:09 PM   #18
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Duff View Post
There already are laws ...
My ancient copy of the reg.s is buried in a box in my attic. There are more specific rules that apply. I think you have to maintain a certain distance or altitude from people, vessels and structures when not landing or taking off. Every pilot I knew buzzed somebody some time but it was usually a hit-and-run operation. It was considerred stupid to hang around for some one to think to get your tail number.

I've occasionally seen planes buzz the lake (and enjoyed watching another person enjoy the lake) but never to the point of harrassment or endangerment. I expect it was some rich kid that just got his license. With luck they won't have it much longer.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:20 PM   #19
C_Duff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
My ancient copy of the reg.s is buried in a box in my attic. There are more specific rules that apply. I think you have to maintain a certain distance or altitude from people, vessels and structures when not landing or taking off. Every pilot I knew buzzed somebody some time but it was usually a hit-and-run operation. It was considerred stupid to hang around for some one to think to get your tail number.

I've occasionally seen planes buzz the lake (and enjoyed watching another person enjoy the lake) but never to the point of harrassment or endangerment. I expect it was some rich kid that just got his license. With luck they won't have it much longer.

Good luck!

I know there a ton of regs about this, but that one was just a generic one I picked.

KONACHICK: No problem...it's idiots like that who give general aviation a bad name.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:43 AM   #20
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaChick View Post
Anyone else have an encounter with the bozo in the blue and black helicopter on Saturday (7/11)?
Any updates?

There was a dark blue helicopter hovering at tree-top level over the summit of Rattlesnake Island yesterday.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:59 AM   #21
Shreddy

The gentleman who owns the copter flies over to the north end of the lake pretty frequently (if we're talking about the same copter). He comes over and flies by his brother-in-laws (good friends of ours) new house about once a weekend. He flies low, but in control from what i've seen.
Shreddy is offline   Reply With Quote