Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-06-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
wildwind

Thumbs down Why Boycott SKELLEYS ?????

Saw a sign in the snow next to Skelleys saying "BOYCOTT SKELLEYS" anyone know why??? Is it because he raised his gas prices last weekend by 12 cents then went back down on Monday after the snowmobilers went home? Or is it because he yells at his customers??? To bad it's the only place in town!

Last edited by wildwind; 02-06-2009 at 05:03 PM.
wildwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:58 AM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,609 Times in 823 Posts
Default Vote with your feet

This is the beauty of the free market economy, if you feel you have been mistreated you can go elsewhere. Skelley's is not the only place in town, you can drive another 2 miles and go to Hometown Grocery and Mobil.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:59 AM   #3
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Exclamation No Gas At Hometown Grocery

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
This is the beauty of the free market economy, if you feel you have been mistreated you can go elsewhere. Skelley's is not the only place in town, you can drive another 2 miles and go to Hometown Grocery and Mobil.
He is the only place on that side of town now. The pumps at Hometown are shut off, NO GASS. IT's either Murphy's or Full oopps ROB's for Gas in Moultonboro. Not saying he is taking advantage of the snowmobilers but everyone coming over the Castle knows he is the closest spot for GAS(FOOD & PORTA JOHN).We get a lot of Grooming complaints about the trail that dead ends at Skeely's. But when you count over 200 sleds an hour using that trial on a busy Saturday there is no way to keep up with it.
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:43 AM   #4
wildwind

Default Skelleys

So what does that have to do with why people want to Boycott Skelleys???
Old 02-07-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
VitaBene

Default Maybe I misread

Wild, maybe I misread your original post, but the way I read it you already knew why the sign was there and were looking for comments. Sorry if I misunderstood.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2009, 11:26 AM   #6
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Well, I have gotten my gas almost exclusively at Skelly's, until he went 13 cents higher than Center Harbor. But they are back down now and if you pay cash it is/was $1.80. so I am back to buying my subs and gas there.
People don't always realize that they lose good customers by taking advantage of a different (snowmobiles) situation. He could have left them up for the fishing derby weekend but he didn't. So kudos to them. I did think it strange that they went so high because they are usually way cheaper than Wolfeboro. Oh well. It is still a great place and I have never been yelled at in there and most of the time I have been treated very well and quite politely by the staff there. Besides their ice ream is awesome!
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:54 AM   #7
wuwu

Default Not boycotting skelleys!!

Wow! I cannot believe you would boycott Skelley's, or maybe you forgot in October when gas prices were soaring and Skelley's Market was 30 cents and more, CHEAPER than anyone else in town...and for miles! In todays news oil prices are on the rise again! I do not believe it has to do with "snowmobilers" or weekenders, sounds like a personal grudge, and I have to agree..The very best icecream!!!!
wuwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:46 AM   #8
NonVoting Taxpayer

Default No Answer to the Question

I believe the original post was a question asking why the sign was in the snowbank asking people to boycott. Don't see any personal grudge by wildwind to me. Not everyday one drives by and sees a sign asking people to boycott a store. Sounded like a curiosity question to me with a couple of possibilities as to why.
Wondered the same thing as I drove by on Friday.
NonVoting Taxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:11 AM   #9
wuwu

I drive by everyday, and have not seen such a sign? And you must admit....the place looks so much cleaner and brighter than it did 6 years ago! The parking lot sure helps with so much traffic on 109. Still think it must be a personal thing!
Old 02-09-2009, 12:29 PM   #10
BJAM

I would like to know if anyone who has posted on this thread has ever been yelled at by anyone at Skelleys. I haven't,the hundred's of people he has donated to hasn't.The many people he let's sign a slip because they forgot their wallet hasn't. People should get their facts straight, before they go off on something they don't have a clue about. Skelleys is a gem of a country store!!
BJAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:35 PM   #11
jetskier

Post No Problems

I have stopped in for gas with the snowmobile and never had an issue.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:38 PM   #12
VitaBene

Default Gem

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJAM View Post
I would like to know if anyone who has posted on this thread has ever been yelled at by anyone at Skelleys. I haven't,the hundred's of people he has donated to hasn't.The many people he let's sign a slip because they forgot their wallet hasn't. People should get their facts straight, before they go off on something they don't have a clue about. Skelleys is a gem of a country store!!
BJAM, That is why I asked the question earlier in the thread. The question, as asked, is loaded or at the very least is leading. As you can see on the great places thread- it is one of my favorites.

I have never been yelled at or seen him do so- quite honestly, I don't see him much. He's got great people working there, that's what shows.

The only time a gas station should change prices is when they get a new delivery in the ground. Nothing else should effect their price that would cause anything but a minor adjustment. So the stations that do less business off season will be slower to change prices. With snowmobiling being very busy over the past few weeks I am sure Skelley's is selling more high test than usual, so the price will fluctuate more often. They really do not care how much gas costs per gallon- the service station owner is trying to make $XX per gallon, not a percentage of price. I think that is what you have seen at Skelley's- natural price fluctuations based on new deliveries.

Of course, gas stations are a business-and can choose to charge what they want. I can vote with my feet and do. When the oil prices were rocketing skyward in the spring and summer last year, I took note of those that changed their prices daily or even every few hours. Shockingly (not) those same stations were the slowest to lower prices as prices plummeted. Guess what- the only time I stop at one of them is to pick up enough to get me to another station to fill up (I feel like a teenager all over- $5 diesel on pump 2 please)
Old 02-10-2009, 07:13 AM   #13
hazmatmedic

Quote:
BJAM,
The only time a gas station should change prices is when they get a new delivery in the ground. Nothing else should effect their price that would cause anything but a minor adjustment. So the stations that do less business off season will be slower to change prices. With snowmobiling being very busy over the past few weeks I am sure Skelley's is selling more high test than usual, so the price will fluctuate more often. They really do not care how much gas costs per gallon- the service station owner is trying to make $XX per gallon, not a percentage of price. I think that is what you have seen at Skelley's- natural price fluctuations based on new deliveries.
I started to write a reply to this thread yesterday stating the ignorance of the posters about the petroleum industry. Sounds like to me, you have no clue about the gasoline business. Your view is purely from a consumer's side and have no business voicing how a owner/operator should run the site, let alone this particular gas station/convenience store. Stick with what you know.
hazmatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:23 AM   #14
Lakepilot

I've never been yelled at or heard any yelling when in the store.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:11 AM   #15
ironhorsetim

Default back on track

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazmatmedic View Post
I started to write a reply to this thread yesterday stating the ignorance of the posters about the petroleum industry. Sounds like to me, you have no clue about the gasoline business. Your view is purely from a consumer's side and have no business voicing how a owner/operator should run the site, let alone this particular gas station/convenience store. Stick with what you know.
I think the question started about a boycott, not if anyone was gas price savy or had an opinion about gas prices(which everyone has a right to have one).
I have never gotten a bad attitude from Skelley's but then again I only go there maybe a dozen times a year...don't get to the "other" side too often just in the summer ,on the bike.

"Always do sober,what you say you'll do drunk,
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"
Ernest Hemmingway
ironhorsetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:08 AM   #16
twoplustwo

Thumbs down Uff da

Last I checked this wasn't a forum of petroleum industry insiders. We're all consumers, we come with consumers opinions which we should feel free to share. I don't know who pissed in your Wheaties, but that response was uncalled for.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:51 AM   #17
VitaBene

Default Ok

Quote:
OK why don't you inform us and dazzle us with your expertise on this subject matter. Explain to me what other variables cause an Owner/Operator or Owner/Dealer to increase or decrease their prices legitimately from one day to the next.

While you are at it tell me where I told Skelley's how to run his business.

Finally, understand I responded in this somewhat antagonistic manner based on your post. I look forward to your response.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:49 AM   #18
dpg

Geez lets all just chill...I don't see anything so "un-called-for" guess I have thicker skin than most.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #19
RI Swamp Yankee

I think this was the question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwind View Post
Saw a sign in the snow next to Skelleys ....anyone know why....
Seems nobody knows why.

Quote:
..The only time a gas station should change prices is when they get a new delivery in the ground. ..
I used to think that too until I found out the big oil companies can remotely watch every pump at a station in real time and change the dealers cost between customers. Don't seem fair but they do. Every gallon of that delivery may have a different cost to the dealer. Most are not nonprofit dealers .... intentionally.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:38 PM   #20
ApS

Thumbs up It's a Convenience Store as well as Gas Stop, remember...

Quote:
"...The only time a gas station should change prices is when they get a new delivery in the ground. Nothing else should effect their price that would cause anything but a minor adjustment..."
If the owner was facing the worst possible circumstance—empty tanks—bumping the prices would make sense until the next delivery.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:25 AM   #21
hazmatmedic

Talking

Quote:
OK why don't you inform us and dazzle us with your expertise on this subject matter. Explain to me what other variables cause an Owner/Operator or Owner/Dealer to increase or decrease their prices legitimately from one day to the next.

While you are at it tell me where I told Skelley's how to run his business.
You're kidding right? "The only time a gas station should change prices is when they get a new delivery in the ground." That was not telling a business person how to operate his/her business? That remark sounded like you wanted Congress to pass a law. Anyone can communicate a poor thought and maybe this was yours. The rest of your thoughts were legitimate comments as a consumer, but I wasn't writing an editorial. Your statement rubbed me the wrong way because many many posts from others, instruct business owners how to run their businesses without any training or experience in that field. They are not all the same.

I don't have the time to explain decades of knowledge to you in a mere paragraph or two, but.....

To elaborate on just a few cases where prices may change;

* There was an invoice error from any number of sources (Oil Companies as you know them, Jobbers, Independents)
* Human error (owner,operator,employee)
* Supply and demand is the most basic and is the concept that is most misunderstood. This is the target of your statement. The demand is up at one particular time and so a business person may alter the price to compensate, BECAUSE at other times the price is pushed lower than cost due to lower demand and competition. You win some, you lose some. This is at the risk of infuriating the ignorant consumers and casting their business elsewhere.
* And the biggest.....change in revenue generators. Gasoline is only one of many products a convenience store offers to the consumer; food, services, lottery and the list goes on and on. The price for fuels can be used for many purposes. Cash flow, profit, enticement or incentive, and necessity. Revenue sources are ever changing in the convenience store business.

hazmatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:39 AM   #22
GTO

Default wow...ok

Quote:
You're kidding right? "The only time a gas station should change prices is when they get a new delivery in the ground." That was not telling a business person how to operate his/her business? That remark sounded like you wanted Congress to pass a law. Anyone can communicate a poor thought and maybe this was yours. The rest of your thoughts were legitimate comments as a consumer, but I wasn't writing an editorial. Your statement rubbed me the wrong way because many many posts from others, instruct business owners how to run their businesses without any training or experience in that field. They are not all the same.

I don't have the time to explain decades of knowledge to you in a mere paragraph or two, but.....

To elaborate on just a few cases where prices may change;

* There was an invoice error from any number of sources (Oil Companies as you know them, Jobbers, Independents)
* Human error (owner,operator,employee)
* Supply and demand is the most basic and is the concept that is most misunderstood. This is the target of your statement. The demand is up at one particular time and so a business person may alter the price to compensate, BECAUSE at other times the price is pushed lower than cost due to lower demand and competition. You win some, you lose some. This is at the risk of infuriating the ignorant consumers and casting their business elsewhere.
* And the biggest.....change in revenue generators. Gasoline is only one of many products a convenience store offers to the consumer; food, services, lottery and the list goes on and on. The price for fuels can be used for many purposes. Cash flow, profit, enticement or incentive, and necessity. Revenue sources are ever changing in the convenience store business.

Looks like some chemicals might have seeped inside the hazmat suit here.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:36 AM   #23
NonVoting Taxpayer

Default Raising Prices

Bottom line is Skelley's raised the gas prices on Friday and lowered them back down on Monday. Seems pretty straight forward on the motive and probably nothing to do with any gas delivery. Unfortunately, by doing this, regular loyal customers that keep him in business during the slow months also pay the price.
This may have led to the boycott sign but it seems like we may never know as no one seems to have the answer to the original question on why a "Boycott Skelley's" sign was out front of Skelley's last Friday.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #24
wuwu

I did not "see" any sign in front of Skelleys, was there really one? Should we put one up in front of Blue Canoe? or Robs? How bout the Center Harbor Irving?
They all seem to go up and down?? I can honestly say this, when it Dads, prices were exorbitant on all grocery items and gas. Perhaps we forgot that? I for one have not forgotten, and if, when I am off to work, I notice one gas station is cheaper that is the one I will choose. But, if I want icecream or pizza, I will go to Skelleys.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:31 PM   #25
rrr

I usually try to gas up on Thursdays because I've noticed lots of stations (both NH and MA) seem to raise their prices on Friday.
rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:45 AM   #26
NonVoting Taxpayer

WuWu
For what it's worth, yes there really was a sign asking people to boycott Skelleys. I, as well as others saw it. If you ask the owners son who seems to run the business, he will confirm the sign existed, as he was taking the sign down as I drove by. It was in the snowbank across the street.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:59 AM   #27
wildwind

Did it dawn on anyone that maybe the Boycott had nothing to do with the gas prices??? Ask the owners SON how many people were turned away and had to go somewhere else because he wouldn't come out of the back room to write a fishing license. The girl in charge wasn't working at the time and he was too busy AGAIN! Yes he was in the back room and that was from one of his employees!
Old 02-13-2009, 10:27 AM   #28
VitaBene

Quote:
Did it dawn on anyone that maybe the Boycott had nothing to do with the gas prices??? Ask the owners SON how many people were turned away and had to go somewhere else because he wouldn't come out of the back room to write a fishing license. The girl in charge wasn't working at the time and he was too busy AGAIN! Yes he was in the back room and that was from one of his employees!
So in your original post you were trolling and I even apologized. You are obviously just trying to raise a stink with your leading questions and now days later you start adding fuel to the fire.

So I will reiterate- vote with your feet. I like Skelley's and will continue to shop there.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:38 AM   #29
wildwind

No that's not true!!!! I had no idea why the sign was out front of Skelleys. I asked why because I thought there was an intelligent person out there who could answer a simple question without blowing everything out of wack with the way the gas business is run which has nothing to do with anything. I was there when the poor guy came into Skelleys to get his license and couldn't believe the way he was spoken too in front of other people and I as a customer believe that's a ---- of a way the run a business and a rotten way to talk to a customer!
Old 02-13-2009, 11:04 AM   #30
jeffk

Quote:
So in your original post you were trolling and I even apologized. You are obviously just trying to raise a stink with your leading questions and now days later you start adding fuel to the fire.

So I will reiterate- vote with your feet. I like Skelley's and will continue to shop there.
I agree VitaBene.

We go to Skelley's for needed items and gas occasionally. We've never had any problems.

Its a quick mart for God's sake. The owner can price things the way he wants. We can react accordingly. You pay somewhat for the convenience of not having to drive 25 minutes to a cheaper place. At my home there is a quick mart 2 minutes from my house, 2 minutes past that there is a Hannafords with much better prices. Yet the quick mart goes a great business. Go figure.

Hey, Wildwind,

Why are you taking what happened to someone else so personally? You seem to be working hard to generate reasons to boycott Skelley's . Anyone can stick up a sign. I agree that telling off a customer may be a poor business practice. I hope it's not a common occurrence but I haven't had any problems there. Why didn't you tell us what you observed in your first post rather than just encouraging speculation?
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:01 PM   #31
wildwind

For heavens sake! Nobody said anything about Skelleys not having the right to price things the way they want. And Yes anyone can put up a sign but the only question was WHY??? Not if it was convenient or if it was pretty or they had a nice parking lot or there ice cream tasted good. I also didn't mention I was there to witness the poor kid wanting a license because there must be someone else out there who had a bad experience at Skelleys besides this poor kid and not being local to this area I thought this was a fair question. Why would someone go to the trouble to write the sign to Boycott Skelleys and take it to Skelleys, put it in the snow, if nothing happened? What happened? What is a forum for if you can't ask questions and give opinions?
Old 02-13-2009, 02:30 PM   #32
GTO

Default my input

Quote:
For heavens sake! Nobody said anything about Skelleys not having the right to price things the way they want. And Yes anyone can put up a sign but the only question was WHY??? Not if it was convenient or if it was pretty or they had a nice parking lot or there ice cream tasted good. I also didn't mention I was there to witness the poor kid wanting a license because there must be someone else out there who had a bad experience at Skelleys besides this poor kid and not being local to this area I thought this was a fair question. Why would someone go to the trouble to write the sign to Boycott Skelleys and take it to Skelleys, put it in the snow, if nothing happened? What happened? What is a forum for if you can't ask questions and give opinions?

I like to go there because of their ice cream
Old 02-14-2009, 05:47 AM   #33
VitaBene

Default speculation vs. observation

Quote:
No that's not true!!!! I had no idea why the sign was out front of Skelleys. I asked why because I thought there was an intelligent person out there who could answer a simple question without blowing everything out of wack with the way the gas business is run which has nothing to do with anything. I was there when the poor guy came into Skelleys to get his license and couldn't believe the way he was spoken too in front of other people and I as a customer believe that's a ---- of a way the run a business and a rotten way to talk to a customer!
Discussions are welcomed greatly on this forum- idle speculation generally is not.

The problem is that when you originally posted the thread, you asked a speculative question. If you truly are looking to start discussion consider rephrasing. Describe what you saw and how you felt about it- then ask for input/feedback.

Re-read your original post- you introduced gas prices, we responded (and got sidetracked further!). Had you just written the last sentence of your quoted post, then said what do you guys think, this would have been a far different thread.

Hopefully the webmaster will begin to actively recruit some intelligent people to join the forum
Old 02-14-2009, 07:50 AM   #34
NonVoting Taxpayer

VitaBene
You are a little bit too sensitive on this subject. I read the original post and I see Wildwind seeing a sign out front and just questioning why it is there? Is it because of the sudden increase and decrease in the gas price or could it be because the owners son can be rude to some customers on occasion? Wildwind obviously has heard or seen more of what goes on at Skelleys than just buying their ice cream or pizza.

I don't see it as idle speculation or trolling. At first it was a question on why was the sign there, Period. I don't think Wildwind really wanted to throw out specific examples at the beginning of their thread but after some questions and remarks was forced to do so.

I think the last sentence of your last post was uncalled for (unless you are referring to yourself). I'll overlook it and just assume you had a little bit too much caffeine in your morning coffee today before the sun came up or lack of sleep.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:33 AM   #35
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,063 Posts
Default Thumbs down icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonVoting Taxpayer View Post
VitaBene
You are a little bit too sensitive on this subject. I read the original post and I see Wildwind seeing a sign out front and just questioning why it is there? Is it because of the sudden increase and decrease in the gas price or could it be because the owners son can be rude to some customers on occasion? Wildwind obviously has heard or seen more of what goes on at Skelleys than just buying their ice cream or pizza.

I don't see it as idle speculation or trolling. At first it was a question on why was the sign there, Period. I don't think Wildwind really wanted to throw out specific examples at the beginning of their thread but after some questions and remarks was forced to do so.

I think the last sentence of your last post was uncalled for (unless you are referring to yourself). I'll overlook it and just assume you had a little bit too much caffeine in your morning coffee today before the sun came up or lack of sleep.
I could perhaps agree with the speculation of pricing or poor customer service, but I must say when I first read this thread starter with its thumbs down icon, I felt this was someone who really didn't like Skelley's and was actually in favor of boycotting. I don't think I have ever been in Skelley's, living on the other side of the lake, and not being a snowmobiler, but I didn't feel this thread starter was a question, but rather a statement.

Just MHO.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:42 AM   #36
VitaBene

Default NVT please look again

Quote:
VitaBene

NVT, please look at wildwind's quote (you really may need to read the entire thread again)- he/she is insinuating every person that had posted in response to his OP was not intelligent, you and me included.

I'll admit I got sidetracked with Hazmat, but I thought that that all the posts in the thread were pretty intelligent.

Sorry if you took offense and I actually thought about it for a while before adding the last sentence. It was not directed back at him, but in response to his plea for intelligent forum posters
Old 02-14-2009, 10:51 AM   #37
jeffk

Default Convoluted discussion

Quote:
... Nobody said anything about Skelleys not having the right to price things the way they want....
Well yes, YOU certainly imply criticism in your first post.

Quote:
... Is it because he raised his gas prices last weekend by 12 cents then went back down on Monday after the snowmobilers went home?
Then you contradict yourself, implying along the way that we shouldn't have been been thinking in this direction to begin with, even though YOU are the one who pointed the discussion in this direction.

Quote:
... Did it dawn on anyone that maybe the Boycott had nothing to do with the gas prices??? ....

Quote:
... And Yes anyone can put up a sign but the only question was WHY?? .... Why would someone go to the trouble to write the sign to Boycott Skelleys and take it to Skelleys, put it in the snow, if nothing happened? What happened?
You don't seem to be asking but instead demanding an answer to your question. The only one who knows for sure is the person who put the sign up. Maybe it was the same person who got blown off about getting their license. Since most of us aren't the one who put it up we can only speculate, just like you have done. Also since many of us seem to have had no problems at Skelley's we can state that as well. You seem to be annoyed that people get to state their good experiences and talk about improvements that have been made. This IS a discussion and we get to give our opinions about both bad and good.

Quote:
... I also didn't mention I was there to witness the poor kid wanting a license because there must be someone else out there who had a bad experience at Skelleys besides this poor kid and not being local to this area I thought this was a fair question. ....
We didn't even know that you had actually been a witness to a problem until your third post. An eye witness of a problem has much more credibility than speculative musings which was all that was in your first post and what people responded to. Since your opening post gave only speculation, people responded with their experiences and so far no one else has experienced similar problems. You seem frustrated by that. I am relieved.

Yelling at customers is never good and I hope for everyone's sake it was an isolated incident. As far as we know this could have been the only time it has ever happened. If it becomes a pattern of behavior it will become obvious after a while and people WILL start to do business elsewhere. I'm willing to wait and see. Other's can do as they choose.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:50 PM   #38
wuwu

Again I will ask wildwind, is this a personal grudge? First you mention gas prices, now fishing license? Do you not like businesses here in Moultonboro? First it was LemonGrass now Skelleys? I really would like you to enlighten us on the real "grudge". Have you ever heard some of the comments from the consumer to a young person on the register? I have. They are not very nice, yet all that the clerk says is I am sorry... Again, I have never had a problem there and I have been going there long before it was Dads Market.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:13 PM   #39
beeksta

Default girl in charge- figuratively and literally!

i can't believe this has gone on as far as it has! i think some people are forgetting or are unaware that the owner of the store also is having to pay these high prices for gas. (maybe these concerns and comments should be directed to the government or oil companies that are ripping us ALL off!!) he only makes a few cents literally on gas and AS FOR LICENCES he makes NOTHING!!!! 100 % goes right to the state. he probablly shouldn't even provide that service with all the hassle it sometimes causes!!!!! he can actually end up losing money if something isn't filled out right (he then gets fined) which is why only certain people are allowed to do them!! so maybe there should be some thanks thrown his way instead of all these jabs!

back to the gas issue: it does definately depend on when the deliveries come and i hate to tell you all but we're all at the mercy of the higher ups! didn't you know that already?! the owner can only go by what he's being charged or what he is told the price is from where he gets it! i think he is very fair in pricing according to what he has to pay himself. he as a small business is suffering in this economy too. so at the risk of going on and on, i will try to end this by saying, AS THE PERSON WHO HAS TO GO OUTSIDE AND CHANGE THOSE GAS PRICES (AND PAY THEM AS WELL) I REALLY WISH SOME OF YOU WITH THE NEGATIVE COMMENTS WOULD STOP AND THINK ABOUT THE RUDE COMMENTS AND LACK OF PATIENCE THAT WE (the workers) HAVE TO DEAL WITH ON A FAIRLY REGULAR BASIS. YOU SHOULD PROBABLY NOT COMMENT ON THINGS IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON BEHIND THE SCENES OR IF YOU DON'T HAVE YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT, THAT'S WHAT I'VE ALWAYS BEEN TOLD! IT IS MY OPINION THAT THE CUSTOMER IS NOT NECESSARILY ALWAYS RIGHT!!!!!!!!

p.s. i never saw a sign, and i pull in there 5 days a week. and by the way- the owner's son is not even working there now! like i said- get your facts straight!

Last edited by beeksta; 02-15-2009 at 11:17 PM. Reason: add title
beeksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:21 PM   #40
beeksta

Default confused

Quote:
WuWu
For what it's worth, yes there really was a sign asking people to boycott Skelleys. I, as well as others saw it. If you ask the owners son who seems to run the business, he will confirm the sign existed, as he was taking the sign down as I drove by. It was in the snowbank across the street.
i'm not quite sure who you're talking about because no one seems to know anything about taking this supposed sign down. and again i say, the owner's son is not working at the store! so i'm a little confused as to who this mysterious person is. i don't think you are quite straight on who's who at Skelley's Market!
beeksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:07 AM   #41
ironhorsetim

Gas pricing aside..seems to me like there was only one person with boycott in mind, we've really heard nothing but good things about the place

"Always do sober,what you say you'll do drunk,
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"
Ernest Hemmingway
ironhorsetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:28 AM   #42
wuwu

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuwu View Post
Wow! I cannot believe you would boycott Skelley's, or maybe you forgot in October when gas prices were soaring and Skelley's Market was 30 cents and more, CHEAPER than anyone else in town...and for miles! In todays news oil prices are on the rise again! I do not believe it has to do with "snowmobilers" or weekenders, sounds like a personal grudge, and I have to agree..The very best icecream!!!!
Gas prices manage to go up and down all over the country, doesn't seem like gas is the real issue here.
So I have to agree with Iron

Last edited by wuwu; 02-16-2009 at 11:29 AM. Reason: didnt sound right
Old 02-22-2009, 10:37 PM   #43
gioia7

Default Hogwash

Skelly's is a great little operation. It brings a lot of conveniences to the people on that side of Moultonborough. If you don't like prices, people, etc... then don't go there. Asking for a boycott or even commenting on such is irresponsible and childish.
gioia7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:23 AM   #44
food dude

Default owner is a great asset

i happen to know an awful lot about the owner and crew of Skelley's and am proud to be part of thier business. Chip and his dad are two of the most generous people i have come to know. Chip is constantly donating to almost every girl scout, boy scout, or church pantry that comes calling. he values employees, perhaps that is why his crew stays with him for years. in this type of business this is rare. If you really think he makes any money on gas think again, if any of us knew what was involved in selling gas we would wonder why even bother. Keep up the great job!!
food dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:30 PM   #45
M/V_Bear_II

Quote:
Originally Posted by gioia7 View Post
Skelly's is a great little operation. It brings a lot of conveniences to the people on that side of Moultonborough. If you don't like prices, people, etc... then don't go there. Asking for a boycott or even commenting on such is irresponsible and childish.
Come now. Simply to "comment" on a boycott is not "irresponsible and childish". Quite the opposite. Most of us would ask around if we saw a sign calling for a boycott of a local business, regardless of whether we agreed with it or not. I honestly don't know why the OP's curiosity brought down a rain of vitriol.
M/V_Bear_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:20 PM   #46
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,164 Times in 906 Posts
Default Pricing

The person who thought that gas stations should only change prices if their deliveries came in at a different price obviously doesn't understand how business works. Gas prices, and for that matter prices in general, do not always have a direct correlation with what the seller pays for a product. The retailer will usually try, within reason, to get the most that they can for a product.

If the gas stations in the area were selling gas for $4.00 a gallon and you paid $2.00 a gallon for your gasoline, would you sell it for $2.15 because you only wanted to make 15 cents a gallon? Probably not.

The number one criteria for pricing is competition and determining what the market will bear. Don't you think that Lowes has shoppers looking at Home Depot to see what they are charging for similar items. Don't you think that the reason Shaws prices aren't any higher is because Hannaford's is such a viable and cheaper alternative?
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:59 PM   #47
gioia7

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by M/V_Bear_II View Post
Come now. Simply to "comment" on a boycott is not "irresponsible and childish". Quite the opposite. Most of us would ask around if we saw a sign calling for a boycott of a local business, regardless of whether we agreed with it or not. I honestly don't know why the OP's curiosity brought down a rain of vitriol.
Mr. Bear - If what was said was a simple comment than I would not have extended such a direct opinion on the subject. Rather, I would have given my opinion casually as you describe. But, my take of wildwind's posts were a bit more suspect or should I say they seemed to seek support of a personal feeling. This is a tough time for many, including small businesses like Skelley's. Comments that suggest such harsh results in this environment are irresponsible. If someone has feelings such as wildwinds, than they can go somewhere else. There is no need to drum up support in a negative way. Lastly, though my post was direct, I believe the use of vitriol was a bit excessive. But, I do want to thank you for the word use. See Kids - pay attention, you can learn something in the most precarious situations.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:34 PM   #48
M/V_Bear_II

Quote:
Originally Posted by gioia7 View Post
Mr. Bear - If what was said was a simple comment than I would not have extended such a direct opinion on the subject. Rather, I would have given my opinion casually as you describe. But, my take of wildwind's posts were a bit more suspect or should I say they seemed to seek support of a personal feeling. This is a tough time for many, including small businesses like Skelley's. Comments that suggest such harsh results in this environment are irresponsible. If someone has feelings such as wildwinds, than they can go somewhere else. There is no need to drum up support in a negative way. Lastly, though my post was direct, I believe the use of vitriol was a bit excessive. But, I do want to thank you for the word use. See Kids - pay attention, you can learn something in the most precarious situations.
The "vitriol" did not describe your post alone - several others treated the subject as if he was encouraging us to boycott the store, and that to do so was worse than insulting our grandmothers. While subsequent comments indicated that he may have been sympathetic to a boycott, nothing I noticed suggested that he had anything to do with the sign. He was curious.

As to the "irresponsibility", are you suggesting that the rest of us can't make up our own minds? That we will all be swayed, by his idle curiosity and subsequent repetition of rumors, into boycotting a business with which we have had no problems? I should hope we are not all so childish.
M/V_Bear_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:10 AM   #49
gioia7

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by M/V_Bear_II View Post
The "vitriol" did not describe your post alone - several others treated the subject as if he was encouraging us to boycott the store, and that to do so was worse than insulting our grandmothers. While subsequent comments indicated that he may have been sympathetic to a boycott, nothing I noticed suggested that he had anything to do with the sign. He was curious.

As to the "irresponsibility", are you suggesting that the rest of us can't make up our own minds? That we will all be swayed, by his idle curiosity and subsequent repetition of rumors, into boycotting a business with which we have had no problems? I should hope we are not all so childish.
Thank you for the clarification on your word use.

You are correct almighty Yoda. I apologize for making the jump that wildwind was the boycotter. I guess my curiosity killed the cat (or should I say the bear).

On a serious note, my comments were not intended to insinuate that people can't make up their own minds or that they will be swayed. Rather, I wanted to comment on what I felt was a negative post and show support for Skellys. I believe that we share similar feelings. That being said, I am boycotting this conversation. :-)
Old 02-24-2009, 02:41 PM   #50
VitaBene

Default Gas Stations vs. Country Stores

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
The person who thought that gas stations should only change prices if their deliveries came in at a different price obviously doesn't understand how business works. Gas prices, and for that matter prices in general, do not always have a direct correlation with what the seller pays for a product. The retailer will usually try, within reason, to get the most that they can for a product.

If the gas stations in the area were selling gas for $4.00 a gallon and you paid $2.00 a gallon for your gasoline, would you sell it for $2.15 because you only wanted to make 15 cents a gallon? Probably not.

The number one criteria for pricing is competition and determining what the market will bear. Don't you think that Lowes has shoppers looking at Home Depot to see what they are charging for similar items. Don't you think that the reason Shaws prices aren't any higher is because Hannaford's is such a viable and cheaper alternative?
I let the comments earlier go by that stated I don't understand the business- frankly, I grew up on the floor of my uncle's gas station (Grant's Shell Braintree Mass- Owner/Dealer now a company store after he retired). I turned wrenches and helped him on the business side- I decided at a relatively young age to get out of the business but think I understand it a tiny bit.

There is an important distinction here-SKELLEY'S IS NOT A GAS STATION. Skelley's is a great country store that has a couple of gas pumps out front as a convenience to their customers (and obviously he would like to make $$ as well), as opposed to a gas station with a convenience store (Like Irving/Mobil/ at 104). Totally different business model in my opinion. As an independent Skelley's needs to keep his prices in line as best as he can with the big boys- sometimes he can and sometimes he can't.

Someone can put boycott signs up wherever they want- I think the point of the vitriol that has been spewed is that it is not fair to the owner to merely put a sign that says "Boycott Skelley's". A little more detail would have been nice.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:09 PM   #51
Winnipesaukee

Never been to Skelleys, but here is how our free country works:

A business has every right to (in almost all cases) price their product however they like. If you don't like the price of their product, you are free to go elsewhere for the same product. And if you don't like the way you are being treated at a business, you are free to take your money elsewhere. This is called direct competition, and is an element of the capitalist country we all know and love.

At least you guys aren't facing a potential 19 cent gas tax hike!
Old 02-24-2009, 03:26 PM   #52
RLW

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipesaukee View Post
Never been to Skelleys, but here is how our free country works:

A business has every right to (in almost all cases) price their product however they like. If you don't like the price of their product, you are free to go elsewhere for the same product. And if you don't like the way you are being treated at a business, you are free to take your money elsewhere. This is called direct competition, and is an element of the capitalist country we all know and love.

At least you guys aren't facing a potential 19 cent gas tax hike!
No, we are looking at a 13¢ hike spread out between now and 2013.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:58 AM   #53
Winnipesaukee

I wouldn't start playing the "our taxes are higher" game with a Massachusetts resident!