Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-01-2009, 09:23 AM   #1
mrylmbt

Default computer repair be aware....

I know that posting a negative coment about a business is risky on this forum
because of all the backlash,but that being said if you need computer repair and bring your computer to Same Day Computer repair in Laconia get a second opinion..they told me that i had corupted files and that they would have to reload all the operating system and would most likely loose all my information. but they could run a back up disk for a fee and fix it. well knowing a little about computers I decided to take it to another repair center.
they hooked it up ran a test on it and in less than a minute they guy said
one of you ram cards is bad he took the cover off and popped out the bad card and popped in a new one. started up the computer and it was fixed.
only cost me $35. and took a total of 5 minutes to fix and i lost none of the info on the computer. the other guys wanted $150 and would have wiped out everything I had saved on the computer. I went back to them and told them that they had misdiagnosed my computer and wanted my $50 fee back and they said that they couldn't give it back. times are tough and people are trying to up sell to make more money.
SO ALL I AM SAYING IS GET A SECOND OPINION......
mrylmbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:58 AM   #2
pah

Default PC Masters

I have had great experiences with computer repair at PC Masters located in Meredith. Very professional, , knowledgeable, helpfull and quick service turn around.
pah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
Irish mist

Thanks for the heads-up
________
GROWING MARIJUANA

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
RLW

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrylmbt View Post
I know that posting a negative coment about a business is risky on this forum
because of all the backlash,but that being said if you need computer repair and bring your computer to Same Day Computer repair in Laconia get a second opinion..they told me that i had corupted files and that they would have to reload all the operating system and would most likely loose all my information. but they could run a back up disk for a fee and fix it. well knowing a little about computers I decided to take it to another repair center.
they hooked it up ran a test on it and in less than a minute they guy said
one of you ram cards is bad he took the cover off and popped out the bad card and popped in a new one. started up the computer and it was fixed.
only cost me $35. and took a total of 5 minutes to fix and i lost none of the info on the computer. the other guys wanted $150 and would have wiped out everything I had saved on the computer. I went back to them and told them that they had misdiagnosed my computer and wanted my $50 fee back and they said that they couldn't give it back. times are tough and people are trying to up sell to make more money.
That all being said how about telling us the good place as we may need the help sometime in the future...
Old 01-01-2009, 10:30 AM   #5
michael c

Default P.C.Masters

I ,too, used PC Masters near the meredith roundabout on two different occasions and they surprised me at how fast and realistically priced they are
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them for a minute
Old 01-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #6
Argie's Wife

How long ago did this happen?

And how long ago have you been using your repaired machine with no problems?
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:35 AM   #7
This'nThat

Default Take 'em to Small Claims Court

There's no excuse for such a wrong diagnosis on a computer. And I think it's criminal to keep your fee. Can you take them to small claims court? Usually just the threat of doing so will make them refund the fee. Also tell them you are going to post the progress on the Forum for all to see. That might also make them fess up. Good luck.
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 05:14 PM   #8
jeffk

Default Lazy repair

Same Day Computer sounds like they take the same approach that I have heard from phone support services. We'll just blow everything away and start over. This is like having a bad spark plug and the mechanic telling you to replace the whole engine. This is fast and efficient - for the repair service only. That's probably why they can offer it fixed the same day.

It often takes longer to diagnose and fix the specific problem but the integrity of the machine is maintained. Any time a repair service tells you that you will loose all your data get a second and third opinion before you buy into it.

In this case the problem should have been easily found by any competent repair shop.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 05:35 PM   #9
Ropetow

Quote:
Originally Posted by This'nThat View Post
There's no excuse for such a wrong diagnosis on a computer. And I think it's criminal to keep your fee. Can you take them to small claims court? Usually just the threat of doing so will make them refund the fee. Also tell them you are going to post the progress on the Forum for all to see. That might also make them fess up. Good luck.
Step #1 -- Proceed to iTunes website

Step #2 -- Go to songs written/sung by Jimmy Buffett

Step #3 -- Download "License To Chill"

Step #4 -- Play song and do as directed

Beats getting an ulcer any day of the week
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #10
mrylmbt

Default good place

the good place is in manchester and believe it or not it was circuit city.
this happened a week about 14 days ago and i have been using the computer everyday for about 7 days without a glich....when my computer crashed I would get a blue screen and i couldn't even open it in safe mode.
you couldn't do anything with it. I had 2 freinds look at it and they couldn't do anything. when he replace the ram card it imediatley worked normally and has been fine ever since. I know that every one has good and bad experiences at all aspects of services. but if I would have gone along with
them and said to just fix it then I wouldn't have known that there was another option to fix the problem and would be non the wiser. I would have been happy to just get my computer back. so like I said before just be aware
and get a second opinon.....i bet some people will now say i hate circuit city they screwed me......they did good buy me, better than the local shop here....
and to not at least give me my $50 back....to me there not a good company
mrylmbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:20 PM   #11
This'nThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropetow View Post
Beats getting an ulcer any day of the week
Huh? You should know that a stomach ulcer is the result of hyperacidity, which is caused by an increase in the hydrochloric acid in the stomach. This strong acid, secreted by the cells lining of the stomach, erodes the inner lining of the stomach. Dietetic indiscretion such as overeating, taking of heavy meals or highly spiced foods, coffee, alcohol and smoking are the main factors contributing to this condition. Other causes are the ingestion of certain drugs, food poisoning, certain infections, gout, emotional disturbances, stress, and nervous tension.

Note that stress and nervous tension (which you seem to be accusing me of) is not only a secondary cause, but it's last on the list.

Besides, if an ulcer is punishment for taking legal action against a wrongful activity, then I say -- bring it on. People don't deserve to be ripped off, and our legal system is set up to help redress wrongs. The only way to make it work, is to use it when it becomes necessary.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:03 PM   #12
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrylmbt View Post
I went back to them and told them that they had misdiagnosed my computer and wanted my $50 fee back and they said that they couldn't give it back. times are tough and people are trying to up sell to make more money.
This is starting to sound like the bookstore thread...

Most of the time the "no refunds for diagnosis" signs are displayed prominently in places that do repairs. Was there some ambiguity about the transaction that made you think you would be eligible for a refund?

I totally agree with your second opinion recommendation though. In my experience, data corruption is fairly rare I'd always dig a little deeper if someone told me I was going to lose all my data.

Also, in case this experience didn't already make it obvious, probably a good idea to double-check your data backup process.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:16 PM   #13
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Also, in case this experience didn't already make it obvious, probably a good idea to double-check your data backup process.
Data backup process?
Old 01-01-2009, 07:30 PM   #14
Pineedles

Default Enough!

Let's just open up the Speed Limits thread and get all this anxiety out! I have enough pain already, trying to read everyone's posts on this lame thread!
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:53 PM   #15
This'nThat

Quote:
Most of the time the "no refunds for diagnosis" signs are displayed prominently in places that do repairs. Was there some ambiguity about the transaction that made you think you would be eligible for a refund?
If the "diagnosis" is found to be incorrect, was it a diagnosis or simply an incorrect opinion by an incompetant employee? I say -- it wasn't a diagnosis, and a refund should be given.

If the diagnosis had been correct, and the customer didn't like the suggested repair option, then no -- a refund is not warranted. But in this case, the store didn't provide a correct analysis. Therefore, the diagnosis was faulty. Therefore, the store doesn't deserve to be paid.

And I don't think this is similar at all to the bookstore thread. The conditions here are different.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:50 PM   #16
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by This'nThat View Post
If the "diagnosis" is found to be incorrect, was it a diagnosis or simply an incorrect opinion by an incompetant employee? I say -- it wasn't a diagnosis, and a refund should be given.
Well, you're basically paying them for their opinion.

Quote:
If the diagnosis had been correct, and the customer didn't like the suggested repair option, then no -- a refund is not warranted. But in this case, the store didn't provide a correct analysis. Therefore, the diagnosis was faulty. Therefore, the store doesn't deserve to be paid.
Of course, had he allowed them to service it, they might have found the actual underlying issues and resolved it. Since they were never given that option, you'd have a hard time proving that he is really due a refund. Computer diagnostics can often be difficult and non-obvious.

Quote:
And I don't think this is similar at all to the bookstore thread. The conditions here are different.
My point is like Innisfree's policy, I'm pretty sure Same Day has a similar "no refunds for diagnostic services" sign or clause that the customer is made aware of before completing their transaction.

Perhaps after you're done writing to Metrocast you should take up a protest against Same Day Computer.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:21 PM   #17
This'nThat

Quote:
Perhaps after you're done writing to Metrocast you should take up a protest against Same Day Computer.
Unclear what one has to do with the other; why they would have to be done serially; and why I would have to protest Same Day Computer (no dog in that fight). More explanation is needed, here.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:31 PM   #18
Newbiesaukee

Yawn...I'm going to bed. Peaceful and Happy New Year.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:47 PM   #19
trfour

Default Hey, At Sise 14....

If you thought Bush was in trouble,....
I had to Duck my share of shoes here, as well!!..

Love,
T

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:05 AM   #20
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,640 Times in 568 Posts

Bottom line is....watch everyone.Not many people are buying anything so they are trying to make up for it by overcharging on service work.We are finding that vendors are sending two people ,where only one is required.Also charging for travel,"service charge" and a big mark up on parts.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:06 AM   #21
jeffk

Default Desperate times

I think that it is sad that people turn to practices that will eventually destroy their business. I know people are struggling but these types of practices always catch up to you eventually. They may get away with it for a while but people will start looking for an alternative vendor and as soon as they can will dump the overcharger. I think of hard times as a character test. If your only business solution is to take advantage of someone else, well....

This reminds me of companies that provide less product for the same price, like no one is going to notice. The really sneaky ones ones keep the box size the same, just put less in. If they are really bold they add "NEW and IMPROVED" to the label. Either that or price the jumbo version of their product more expensively per unit than the smaller packages.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:41 PM   #22
no-engine

Personal opinion: Be cautious when a service says he'd replace one memory card. I have always been told they should be installed in pairs.

As with anything, do one's homework - my opinion.
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:50 PM   #23
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,064 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-engine View Post
Personal opinion: Be cautious when a service says he'd replace one memory card. I have always been told they should be installed in pairs.

Older RAM (SIMM's) needed to be installed in pairs. Modern day RAM does not. If you have 512 ram and want to increase, and have a spot available, you can put one stick in.

That was my own case last summer. My max RAM is 2GB, I had 512MB, so rather than pull out the 512, I just put in one 1GB, giving me a gigabyte and a half of RAM...plenty for my Windows XP operation.

but I do agree...bottom line, check your documentation (do your homework).

Good source for all sorts of questions for the novice is:

http://askbobrankin.com/

I subscribe to a newsletter that he and Pat Crispen put out, and find it to be a great source of info that I can understand.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:52 PM   #24
angela4design

Default question...

Did Same Day Charge you for the analysis/diagnostic? Just wondering.

I've heard poor reviews about them in their old location. (A family member said they felt 'ripped off' as well).

I guess it's like finding a good mechanic, only pictures, music and files may mean more to us than oil filters and such!
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:01 PM   #25
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-engine View Post

That's not universally true, but more importantly if one of a pair was being replaced with an identical unit, then it wouldn't matter anyway.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:11 PM   #26
Meredith lady

I just got my computer repaired at PC Masters here in Meredith-I had a virus and I couldn't get it to go away. Peter of PC Masters had my computer for less than one day and it works like new. Very reasonably priced, as well...I highly reccomend them!
Meredith lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:59 PM   #27
EricP

There are too many variables when working on computers for anything to be plain and simple. Even the example of installing RAM in pairs is not always true or false. Depends on the other components of the system and it is always better to check the manual and/or specs of that particular system when adding RAM so money isn't wasted.

As to the original post, when a system blue screens it can be straight forward or confusing as to the cause. I personally have diagnosed thousands of blue screen crashes and some have been easy, others have taken monumental efforts to solve. I will say that usually when a RAM chip goes bad you can get all sorts of false positives tracking the cause until you finally get it. I've also been able to solve bad RAM crashes on initial inspection, it's really a crap shoot.

It is so hard for people who do not do this stuff to sometimes know even where to begin and are in many ways at the mercy of the so called experts. My advice is treat the situation as any other transaction and first determine if you think you can trust the person doing the work. I would imagine a fair amount of us have had vehicles serviced only to have to go back for the exact same problem and feel like we were ripped off, computers are no different.
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:49 PM   #28
VitaBene

Thanked 1,610 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricP View Post
There are too many variables when working on computers for anything to be plain and simple. Even the example of installing RAM in pairs is not always true or false. Depends on the other components of the system and it is always better to check the manual and/or specs of that particular system when adding RAM so money isn't wasted.

As to the original post, when a system blue screens it can be straight forward or confusing as to the cause. I personally have diagnosed thousands of blue screen crashes and some have been easy, others have taken monumental efforts to solve. I will say that usually when a RAM chip goes bad you can get all sorts of false positives tracking the cause until you finally get it. I've also been able to solve bad RAM crashes on initial inspection, it's really a crap shoot.

It is so hard for people who do not do this stuff to sometimes know even where to begin and are in many ways at the mercy of the so called experts. My advice is treat the situation as any other transaction and first determine if you think you can trust the person doing the work. I would imagine a fair amount of us have had vehicles serviced only to have to go back for the exact same problem and feel like we were ripped off, computers are no different.
Thank you, your post backed up what I have wanted to write! Especially the bit about the mechanic. Any time a technician of any type diagnoses a problem, there is a chance they may be wrong. There is no magic gonkulator that will diagnose all problems, the technician will need to troubleshoot and that is where differing styles come into play- a good technician will get there faster than a poor one and cost you less money ultimately.

I can't imagine spending the time in small claims over this.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:44 PM   #29
Grady223

Is there a Gotcha service offered by one of the local TV stations? If so report it to them, that may have an effect - you may eventually get your $50 back.
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:23 PM   #30
tis

Thanked 1,398 Times in 969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
I can't imagine spending the time in small claims over this.
And especially since it costs $60 to take someone to small claims. It is hardly worth it unless it is considerably more money. In this case, it sounds like you would lose money.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:50 PM   #31
Fishy Cover

Default Let others know

You can file a report on www.ripoffreport.com so anyone who takes the time to check can learn of your experience and unhappiness.
Fishy Cover is offline   Reply With Quote