Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-22-2008, 06:36 AM   #1
VitaBene

Thanked 1,609 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skisox24 View Post
We went into the Lobster Pound last weekend with the goal of a quick meal prior to our Meadowbrook show. This was our third time at the new Lobster Pound. We applaud the new owneres for the terrific renovation of the old facility, and have appreciated the superb view from the upstairs outdoor lounge.

The food has been uneven. My wife really enjoyed the scallops, but the other seafood and shellfish choices have been just OK. Having dined there twice before, we knew that the menu prices were excessive, but also understood that we are OK with marginally higher prices in exchange for the new atmosphere and the superlative view.

But not this time. They have one pound of steamers on the menu for $15. That is way overpriced to begin with, and on my two prior experiences, I question whether the quantity served truly equals one pound. Town Docks in Meredith and Kevin's Cafe in Moultonborough provide generous portions of steamers at a much lower cost. For example, Kevin's Cafe provides a pound and a-half at $10. Town Docks, two pounds for $14. Well, on this particular night, Lobster Pound had a little notice stapled to their menu that declared that due to the recent increase in steamer prices, that the cost listed in their menu for one pound ($15) would have to be surcharged $3!!! $18 for less than one pound of steamers? A total ripoff. The manager informed us that their supplyer had significantly increased their per-bushel steamer cost. Town Docks and Kevin's later informed me that their sourcing costs have not materially changed. So....BEWARE!!!!
Can you explain why you posted this here? There is a LP thread running on this forum- this post has nothing to do with Boston Seafood. Further, if you did not like the price of the steamers, why did you order them? You did not get ripped off, YOU ordered what you consider to be an overpriced appetizer.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:10 AM   #2
NonVoting Taxpayer

Default LB of Steamers

Since you asked on this thread, I feel compelled to defend the Lobster Pound
You need to know that depending on the size of the steamers you may only get between 12 - 20 per pound. When people see a pound (weighed on a scale) they can't believe it's a pound. I worked at a fish market and can say by experience, that most of the time people order a pound or two they always ask for more.
Why the high price? You don't buy frozen steamers nor do you freeze them if they don't sell so the throw away or spoil rate is high. Second, with all the rain up in Maine, the price of steamers have gone off the wall due to the red tide and closure of the mud flats. Most people who dig steamers also pick blueberries and unfortunately, they make more money on blueberries then digging clams.
So once and for all give the Lobster Pound a break when it comes to personnal preferences. if the menu say's a pound is $15 and you think that's high, as Vitabean said "don't order it".
NonVoting Taxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:23 PM   #3
jetskier

Post Generally high

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonVoting Taxpayer View Post
Since you asked on this thread, I feel compelled to defend the Lobster Pound
You need to know that depending on the size of the steamers you may only get between 12 - 20 per pound. When people see a pound (weighed on a scale) they can't believe it's a pound. I worked at a fish market and can say by experience, that most of the time people order a pound or two they always ask for more.
Why the high price? You don't buy frozen steamers nor do you freeze them if they don't sell so the throw away or spoil rate is high. Second, with all the rain up in Maine, the price of steamers have gone off the wall due to the red tide and closure of the mud flats. Most people who dig steamers also pick blueberries and unfortunately, they make more money on blueberries then digging clams.
So once and for all give the Lobster Pound a break when it comes to personnal preferences. if the menu say's a pound is $15 and you think that's high, as Vitabean said "don't order it".
Our observation is that the Lobster Pound tends to be generally high on a number of items. I am chocking this up to the location and need to recover the investment in the new building. That being said, there are a number of good seafood restaurants in the area and most of them appear to have lower prices.

We have noticed that the business at the Lobster Pound has been brisk on the weekends, so they appear to be doing well. The real question will be how they do in the off season and into next year? That appears to be the challenge for any business in the Weirs district.

Personally, I hope that the establishment does well. I don't think that their food is particularly special, however, they do have a great location and a very good view. That helps.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:38 PM   #4
sa meredith

Default off season

Jetskier...I believe they are closed in the off season.
And, while I would agree that their prices are quite "strong", I must say, that during my only visit there this summer, I could find no fault with the place (post #127), although I really did not order a complete meal.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:35 PM   #5
Taz

Default steamers

A friend went to the Lobster Pound 3 weeks ago for steamers and they were $20 per pound so he and is wife walked out and went to the Town Dox. They were $8.99 per pound at the Town Dox and were excellent according to my friend.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2008, 09:40 PM   #6
VitaBene

Thanked 1,609 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
A friend went to the Lobster Pound 3 weeks ago for steamers and they were $20 per pound so he and is wife walked out and went to the Town Dox. They were $8.99 per pound at the Town Dox and were excellent according to my friend.
Yep- that is what I do, vote with my feet!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:53 PM   #7
jetskier

Post Fingers work better

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Yep- that is what I do, vote with my feet!
Voting with your feet makes the keyboard a bit nasty.

Actually, I agree with you 100%. There are many restaurants in the area and we don't have to be beholden to any establishment. If we have a good experience at a restaurant, we return and patronize them. Otherwise we move on.

As the saying goes..."you are only as good as your last meal in the restaurant biz"

In this economy, eating out is becoming much more of a luxury so the competition for your disposible dollar(s) is going to become pretty fierce.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:13 AM   #8
nj2nh

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Can you explain why you posted this here? There is a LP thread running on this forum- this post has nothing to do with Boston Seafood. Further, if you did not like the price of the steamers, why did you order them? You did not get ripped off, YOU ordered what you consider to be an overpriced appetizer.
Um, this IS the Lobster Pound thread, not the Boston Seafood thread. At least, I think it is.

nj2nh
Old 09-23-2008, 09:24 AM   #9
webmaster

Thanked 3,732 Times in 827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj2nh View Post
Um, this IS the Lobster Pound thread, not the Boston Seafood thread. At least, I think it is.
Posts 133, 134 and 135 were moved here from the Boston Seafood thread.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:27 AM   #10
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj2nh View Post

nj2nh
You're right. I think Don the magician moved it to the correct location as it was in another thread..

my fingers were slow again

Last edited by Seeker; 09-23-2008 at 09:29 AM. Reason: slow fingers
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote