Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-08-2008, 08:20 AM   #1
Excalibur

Location: Gilford,NH is where I would like to be and Southborough, MA is where I have to be
Default Check your boats

This past Saturday the Lakes Region area had something near four inches of rain over night. I must of bumped my automatic bilge switch off when I put my mooring cover on the boat. I had a full bilge and needed to start the motor to keep the batteries from running down. I think its time I treated me mooring cover with some repellent. But wow that was a lot of rain. I just want to give a heads up, to anyone who stayed away this weekend. Bring the battery charger with you !
Excalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
fatlazyless

Default re-waterproofing Sunbrella

So, what does a good job of treating that older Sunbrella boat cover? Lots of different products out there. Is there a quart of something that can be rolled on with a 4" roller which will blend into the Sunbrella and is approved for Sunbrella?

Anyone use that Starbrite waterproofer w/ silicone?
Old 09-08-2008, 06:50 PM   #3
Silver Duck

FLL

"303" is the waterproofing that Sunbella recommends. It comes in a spray bottle.

I've been using it for several years, and I'm pleased with the results. Note: pay special attention to the seams!

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:41 PM   #4
NHskier

Default A "second" for 303

I first used it on my covers last year and it works very well. The water noticeably beads right up.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:29 AM   #5
ApS

Exclamation 'Dern Low in the Water

Near me is a boat that looks like it won't take another rain due to a small missing panel in the cover. (Last digits in the Registration # are 55 AI)

It's a "Charger" model that will probably need a "charging" soon!
Old 09-10-2008, 07:55 AM   #6
Dave M

Thanks for the info on the "303". Was looking for something for my Sunbrella covers. Do you just hang the covers and spray. Do you do both sides?

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:54 AM   #7
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
Thanks for the info on the "303". Was looking for something for my Sunbrella covers. Do you just hang the covers and spray. Do you do both sides?

Dave M
I've been using 303 for about 15+ years. Just spray it on the outside of the cover and give it a little while to dry. Note that it can slightly darken certain canvas colors IME.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:19 PM   #8
Knomad

Make sure you use the 303 Fabric Guard and not the Protectorant. Check out the Sunbrella Web site:
http://www.sunbrella.com/na/en/marine.pl
Knomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:18 PM   #9
NHskier

I apply it with the covers in place on the boat (bowrider, in a slip with dock on one side only). I put the bow cover on and spray it down, leaving the windshield walk-thru open for access. I then snap on roughly the front half of the cockpit cover, which gives me access to the full width of the cover, spray that down, then snap on the remaining portion and finish spraying down. (I'm on the swim platform by the time I finish, then step off onto the dock.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:47 PM   #10
BeaverIslandGuy

Default don't hit the glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post

Dave M
We just spray on outside. 1 coat early in the season. We wash cover late one day, let dry overnight, and then spray in mid morning. Cover must be dry, and needs to dry before any water (do on an nice sunny morning).

Note it is NOT recommended to hit the "glass" (vinyl panels). I cover with a plastic held with painters tape at the edges.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:37 AM   #11
Excalibur

Location: Gilford,NH is where I would like to be and Southborough, MA is where I have to be
Default Thanks !!

I will be picking up some 303 High Tech Fabric Guard this Friday. I guess West Marine is the easiest place to get this? Does Wal Mart carry it?
Old 09-18-2008, 06:52 PM   #12
jrc

None at Walmart. If you're near Gilford Parafunalia has it.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:31 AM   #13
fatlazyless

A gallon of Thompson's treats 200 square feet, and costs 12.99 for a 5 quart tin. How much does 5 qts of 303 cost?

Not the regular Thompson's which is basically paint thinner with wax, but the water based Thompson's seems to work just fine. Sprays on milky white, and dries clear, and gets absorbed into the Sunbrella.

And, available at Wally World.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:20 PM   #14
kjbathe

Default $ from http://www.303products.com/

With this month's special offer you get 32oz. of the 303 Fabric and Vinyl Cleaner and 32oz. of 303 High Tech Fabric Guard for only $33.00

From http://www.sunbrella.com/na/en/marine.pl

A 15-ounce bottle (of 303 Fabric Guard) provides coverage of up to 50 square feet of fabric
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 02:51 PM   #15
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Hummmm

So I am sitting here reading this thread scratching my head wondering..... why???? why treat the fabric. Now my boat sits in the sun, and the covers are on it all summer.... and I have never treated my sunbrella covers..... My previous boat I had the sunbrella canvas for 13 or 14 seasons.... never had an issue...... my current boat is now on its 4th season of me owning it, 7th season of its life, and as far as I know has never been treated.... The water still beads right up and runs off just like it should.... I keep the canvas clean and dry and that is all I do...... are you people washing your canvas or something that is effecting it????:con fused:

not say that treating is a bad thing but as long as the canvas especailly sunbrella is kept clean and dry I don't understand why you would be having issues with it not shedding water.......
Old 09-21-2008, 11:49 AM   #16
HUH

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
So I am sitting here reading this thread scratching my head wondering..... why???? why treat the fabric. Now my boat sits in the sun, and the covers are on it all summer.... and I have never treated my sunbrella covers..... My previous boat I had the sunbrella canvas for 13 or 14 seasons.... never had an issue...... my current boat is now on its 4th season of me owning it, 7th season of its life, and as far as I know has never been treated.... The water still beads right up and runs off just like it should.... I keep the canvas clean and dry and that is all I do...... are you people washing your canvas or something that is effecting it????:con fused:

not say that treating is a bad thing but as long as the canvas especailly sunbrella is kept clean and dry I don't understand why you would be having issues with it not shedding water.......
How do you keep your canvas dry ? Ive seen lot of sunbrella lose its ability to shed water after onlt 2 or 3 summers out in the sun and rain.
HUH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:26 AM   #17
Excalibur

Default Its been 14 years for me

I have not done a thing to my cover in 14 years. But a few weeks ago, I must have bumped my automatic bilge switch when the lakes region received around four inches of rain. When I went down to the dock to check the boat in the morning I noticed it was sitting low. Now this is a full mooring cover and it seemed to bead the water visibly. It does have a vent hole where the center pole is. But I could not explain any other way, how all the water came in but thru the cover. I never thought about treating before, until I posted this on the forum. My auto bilge pump made me feel I had a good cover

I also typically sponge the bilge out completely on the weekends, so I knew it was not from a hose or leaky gasket.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:50 PM   #18
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUH View Post
How do you keep your canvas dry ? Ive seen lot of sunbrella lose its ability to shed water after onlt 2 or 3 summers out in the sun and rain.
I just keep the canvas out in the sun let it dry naturally, and never never fold it even when its just damp. If the cover is damp I hang it out on the clothes line to dry while I am using the boat. If there is any dirt or anything on the boat I usually wet the fabric and brush it with a cloth or spong an most everything comes right off.....