Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-24-2008, 11:34 PM   #1
MRJS

Default Recycling Center Entertainment

The Moultonborough recycling center has a handful of good guys working there. Every one of them are helpful and easy to get along with. It seems like they do their job so well that they end up a bit bored.

It's not my job, but it is something that I noticed. When folks are doing a great job I think it's a good plan to keep them happy.

Any ideas on how to amp up their day?
MRJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:55 AM   #2
phoenix

summer is coming
Old 02-25-2008, 10:14 AM   #3
fatlazyless

Maybe they could integrate the Moultonborough Elementary School, say the fifth grade, with the Moultonboro transfer station with an educational workshop. By attending one hands-on, class per week at the transfer station, students could learn all about good citizenship, renewable science, and green energy by task-sharing their labor with the full time staff. Each week, a different transfer station employee would write up a stimulating and informed class plan for next Wednesday's 55 minute, 1:30 class.

Plus, doing some down & dirty transfer station work could be a good 'lesson in life' for fifth graders and encourage them to be better students. Plus, it would no doubt be a good challenge for the transfer station crew and make their job more interesting.

Ok, maybe 5th grade is way too young, and better to try it with say 8th graders. Doesn't eighth grade have an industrial arts program like woodworking, metal working and printing? The transfer station is already in place, staffed, and ready-to-go as a new "classroom."

Correctimondo?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-25-2008 at 10:50 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:36 AM   #4
Lakegeezer

Default April 1 is coming fast

The m'boro dump guys run a friendly. Keep them happy by cleaning your recycled materials, removing the caps and say something nice to them.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:38 AM   #5
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Plus, doing some down & dirty transfer station work could be a good 'lesson in life' for fifth graders and encourage them to be better students. Plus, it would no doubt be a good challenge for the transfer station crew and make their job more interesting.
FLL - a real, real nasty thing to post about someones job. Just my opinion, you need to think a little before hitting the keys.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2008, 11:39 AM   #6
Windrider

Count your blessings....I wonder if we could convince the staff from Moultonboro to come to Meredith to do some training?
Windrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:57 PM   #7
Argie's Wife

Food always makes people happy - bring 'em a box of Joe and a dozen doughnuts... they can enjoy it during their coffee break...
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:01 PM   #8
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Maybe they could integrate the Moultonborough Elementary School, say the fifth grade, with the Moultonboro transfer station with an educational workshop. By attending one hands-on, class per week at the transfer station, students could learn all about good citizenship, renewable science, and green energy by task-sharing their labor with the full time staff. Each week, a different transfer station employee would write up a stimulating and informed class plan for next Wednesday's 55 minute, 1:30 class.

Ok, maybe 5th grade is way too young, and better to try it with say 8th graders. Doesn't eighth grade have an industrial arts program like woodworking, metal working and printing? The transfer station is already in place, staffed, and ready-to-go as a new "classroom."

Correctimondo?

Correctimondo?

No. Wrong - very wrong.

Working at a transfer station isn't a "low-life" profession. These guys work in dangerous conditions, in all kinds of weather, and have to meet certain standards for how these materials are sorted. They're an asset to the town and I hope the town pays them appropriately. They do get good benefits. I am very appreciative of the job they do - they save the town big bucks by recycling - you have no idea...

I'm appalled at your attitude with this... geez! Get a grip, man.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:02 PM   #9
fatlazyless

Contrary to what you may have infered from my post, I meant no harm in calling the transfer station jobs, 'down & dirty' work, because that is what it is, and probably the people that work there would agree. Plus, it smells, too.

No doubt, along with the transfer station wages or salaries come the job benefits like health insurance. Am I jealous of the pay and benefits? Yes, I am!

As someone who is trying to make a living and pay my $8500./year, Meredith property taxes, by doing interiors painting and ceramic tile installations, I know some about 'down & dirty' work.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:45 PM   #10
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Plus, doing some down & dirty transfer station work could be a good 'lesson in life' for fifth graders and encourage them to be better students.
I'm not sure what else one would "infere" from this statement.I have good friend that works at a transfer station and took that statement just like it was intended.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:55 PM   #11
John A. Birdsall

Default message

I read Fatand lazy message, and I find not one part to be intended to be offensivive to the hard working men and women at trash transfer stations. It is a down and dirty job. Ask Mike Rowe. And this would be a lesson to everyone to learn, but we need to start training them young about recycling. I find many things FLL says to be offensive, and this is far from that but so right on, that it could help our country.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:37 PM   #12
Rattlesnake Guy

Quote:

As someone who is trying to make a living and pay my $8500./year, Meredith property taxes, by doing interiors painting and ceramic tile installations, I know some about 'down & dirty' work.
Geez and I was wondering how this thread would be about you and your property taxes.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:53 PM   #13
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
Geez and I was wondering how this thread would be about you and your property taxes.
9 posts to bring it up, must be busy with SB-2
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:51 AM   #14
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Birdsall View Post
I read Fatand lazy message, and I find not one part to be intended to be offensivive to the hard working men and women at trash transfer stations. It is a down and dirty job. Ask Mike Rowe. And this would be a lesson to everyone to learn, but we need to start training them young about recycling. I find many things FLL says to be offensive, and this is far from that but so right on, that it could help our country.

HUH???
Old 02-26-2008, 07:17 AM   #15
fatlazyless

Default ... down & dirty!

....down & dirty....what do I mean...down & dirty is a physical description of the job....as someone who is an interiors painter and ceramic tile installer I spend a lot of time working close to the floor...getting down & dirty....it is what it is...likewise, the nature of the physical labor at the transfer station working with glass bottles, cardboard, aluminum and steel scrap requires the workers to handle all that stuff....hey, they don't wear leather gloves, eye protection, work boots, and work clothes for nothing...it called protective work clothing because the job requires them to get down & dirty...

Like I said....the pay & benefits make me jealous!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-26-2008 at 02:16 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:32 AM   #16
dpg

Quote:
I thought you drove a truck?
Old 02-26-2008, 12:28 PM   #17
Weirs guy

Grab your torches and pitchforks, its time to crucify FLL again...... The funny part of this is I'd be willing to bet that most of you who took offense to his post would also prefer you children not become "solid waste transfer technicians" when they grow up.

Now back on topic. MRJS, I find that a cold bottle of water on a hot summer day is very appreciated, but most likely just a "your doing a great job" would be great (and most likely not heard enough)!

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:30 PM   #18
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
I thought you drove a truck?
Believe me, I sure wish I drove a truck except no one will hire me. I have the NH license for driving 18 wheel tractor-trailers w/ haz-mat, tanker & air brakes endorsement but no job experience. I went to trucker school for three months at NH Community Technical College in Littleton, NH and got driving experience up north and was able to pass the NH DMV tests.

But no job! I have applied to a number of local companies in Laconia, Plymouth, and area. Companies you know and see every day....but it's always...what have you got for experience?

I think I'd be a good employee....and have an excellent DMV driving record.

Believe me, between painting and tiling vs driving a heated & air conditioned truck where you just show up and drive safely, with the employer paying salary, their share 7.65% fica, workers comp, med ins....it is a no-brainer!

This area of central New Hampshire just does not have too many CDL-A trucking jobs for new drivers. If you go to www.craigslist.org and look at the transport jobs...there are others like myself in the Alton & Plymouth area who are also looking for driving jobs.

When the Wasau paper mill in Groveton, up north, closed on Dec 31, it also killed the 7-on/off program for new drivers at www.goroehl.com, that I was counting on.

So, I am getting good at operating a paint brush! Am currently between jobs.

Besides, if I had a driving job, there's no way I'd have the time or interest in supporting Meredith SB-2.