Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-14-2005, 05:14 AM   #1
pmj

Question Town Docks, Meredith ??

Has anyone eaten at the Town Docks in Meredith? They are owned by the Common Man. The menu looks good. I have been to the Common Man in Concord and have always had a good meal there.

Thanks for any feedback,
pmj
pmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 09:58 AM   #2
GrandmaBig6

Thumbs up Thumbs up

My husband and I love the Town Docks. We've never eaten in the restaurant part, mostly take-out or eat at the picnic tables by the water. Whenever we go we have to end dinner with Frank's ice cream. It just makes dinner all the more better. Unfortunately we will not make it to the lake this year. We will definitely miss NH.
GrandmaBig6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 10:37 AM   #3
TomC

Default always have had a good meals there

went the week of the 4th and was good as usual
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 11:39 AM   #4
Wolfeboro Matt

Default A little costly

We (me, my wife, 2 kids) ate there a couple of weeks back. The food was really good, but IMO, it was a little expensive. Not enough to make us leave after seeing the menu, but given the relaxed atmosphere and self-service, I would have expected it to be a little less expensive.
Wolfeboro Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 03:05 PM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,094 Times in 788 Posts
Thumbs up Town Dock beach bar.

Sit at the beach bar and you will get a waitress for the same price. Go figure. I always eat here at the beach bar and I had great food, drinks and service. Can't beat the scenery.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:46 PM   #6
TomC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeboro Matt
We (me, my wife, 2 kids) ate there a couple of weeks back. The food was really good, but IMO, it was a little expensive. Not enough to make us leave after seeing the menu, but given the relaxed atmosphere and self-service, I would have expected it to be a little less expensive.
curious... we walked in, sat in the little dining room with the fireplace (it was a gloomy day, the 7th or 8th of July). A waitress came and took our order as in any sit-down restaurant. I think the bill for 2 adults and 2 school-age kids was around $40. Not cheap I guess, but I can never get out of the C-man in Ashland for less than $90 with my gang, so its a cheaper way to get 'the Comman Man' experience
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 01:52 PM   #7
zoomgirl

Red face

We have eaten there many times....food usually great but the service almost always poor to bad. I would recommend lunch rather than dinner, just for the service factor. It seems a bit less harried... Seasonal help and they aren't always trained well.
zoomgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 06:08 AM   #8
jkjoshuatree

Thumbs down Bad Experience

I ate there last week with my girlfriend and her three kids. The service was absolutely horrible and not one of us enjoyed our food (although the clam chowder before our meals was decent). Very expensive for bad food and service. And even the gorgeous scenery didn't make up for it. We were there for well over an hour (for lunch) and the place wasn't even busy. Stay away from the "Mixed Grill" and the lobster roll. You know its a bad sign when the waitress forgets to bring a pen to take your order and then forgets it again when she brings the credit card receipt for you to sign.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:34 AM   #9
PROPELLER

I've eaten there a couple times. Nothing spectacular, the food is very average to below average. I don't remember the service being bad & don't remember if the prices were reasonable. The only good thing I can say is the beach area with the picnic tables is a cool place to eat.
PROPELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 10:41 AM   #10
wires1999

Angry can't agree more Joshuatree

We went there last weekend with the kids too. Service was as usual terrible, but this time the food was awful. I'll never order the lobster roll again. The kids dock dogs were gross. Steamers were ok. My choice was Karen & Barrys' but the kids wanted the town docks. Needless to say, we're going to eat with my first hunch from now on.
wires1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 11:16 AM   #11
jetskier

Default We were there too

We went to the Town Docks this past Saturday too. The service was acceptable, but the quality of the food was pretty variable. My daughter ordered the tropical drink in a watermelon (sans alchohol) and that was quite good. My wife and I ordered the lobster roll and it was mediocre (at best). So far, the best lobster rolls we have had this summer are Sawyers, McCormick and Schmidt (Boston) and Papa Ginos. It seems as though it is more difficult to find a consistently good restaruant this summer. I think that we will stick to the ice cream or drinks at the docks.
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 04:32 PM   #12
donmac

Default Scary Looking Buffalo Wrap

We eat there occasionally and the food is usually fine. However a couple of nights ago I actually returned my buffalo chicken wrap. I'm not sure if I have EVER returned a dish, any place. But the 'chicken' pieces in this thing were scary looking...

I love the Common Man (had the wonderful Uncommon Steak at Ashland a couple of times over the last few weeks), but I don't consider the Town Docks typical C-man quality.

PS: My 13 year old is sitting next to me and asks me to add that the Town Docks fish and chips was 'mushy'.
donmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 08:50 PM   #13
Fishy Cover

Default Town Docks Yucch

We went there last week with a friend fom Florida enjoying his first time here. We took him to Town Docks because it had been good in the past. The boat ride there was fantastic but the whole town docks experience was really terrible, to wit:

1. We had a hassle with two guys about our place in line and eligibility for the next table- My wife is handicapped and they tried to cut in front but fortunately my son is a powerful guy and he changed their behavior without getting physical
2. After seating it was more than 20 minutes before a waitress showed up. The ambience is wonderful but I would have enjoyed it more with a drink and some attention
3. Another 20 minutes for drinks and then when served the beer and wine were warm, and the topper of the toppers was a watered down, lukewarm martini in a plastic glass with a slice of LIME. I have had martinis on 3 continents and this was without the worst ever. I have never even hear of martini with a slice of lime. Truly insipid.
4. Food: It might have been passable if it was warm but it wasn't and it wasn't.

We have been there before and did not go there expecting gourmet food and first class service, but we did expect reasonable service and warm but average food.

Everything else Alex Ray does is first class so I guess he is not paying attention here. Hope it improves because the ambience is truly world class.

Last edited by Fishy Cover; 08-26-2005 at 08:56 PM.
Fishy Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 09:55 AM   #14
Navman

Default Yuck!

Went to TD last week. Brought some friends from out of town.What a mistake. Very dirty Place. Someone needs to rake the beach,Clean the tables,wipe down the menus,stop carrying trash acrosss the roof above the bar (the liquid drips out onto the roof and down onto people???) Ask the kitchen help to wear there aprons appropriately.(Two of them were wearing there aprons up around there faces???) They also should bring the food out before it gets cold??? I emailed the manager last year with several valid complaints (before I plastered there name on here). I was assured things would be taken care of and to please try us again??? So we did, and found nothing has changed.
Navman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 07:42 PM   #15
The Big Kahuna

Default Like the view

You can't beat the view sitting there looking out over the water and the view, including the grounds around Church Landing. The food, stay with the apps and you will be OK, after that the ride begins. Been there many times same thing, should have gone right over for the ice cream.
The Big Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 06:43 PM   #16
Cookie

Default Eating @ The Docks

Well eating at the docks, is what it is great view as well as service. The BIG K is full of negative things to say so push on and try it on your own! I would love to see the BIG K in the food industry making a living! Hats off to the crew at the Docks!
Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 12:21 PM   #17
Windrider

Default Eaten here lately

I've been to the Town Docks twice since they reopened for the summer. Has anyone else noticed that the food quality has taken a turn for the worse? I love the locale and casual atmosphere but the food, not so good!!
Windrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 02:35 PM   #18
Resident 2B

Default The Big K is Correct!

Windrider,

The Big K nailed it when he said we should stick to the apps.

I like the atmosphere, but the food is not so good and does not seem to be getting any better.

Munchies only for us at the "DOX"!

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 03:58 PM   #19
secondcurve

I went to the town docks about a month ago and the experience was much less than desirable. I won't be back, view or no view.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 06:17 PM   #20
Old Hubbard Rd

Default The Docks

We eat there all the time. Hey look every restaurant has good days and bad days. Overall the docks is reasonably priced and decent food. It's only expensive when you start ordering Lobster Rolls, seafood etc. Stick to appts, salads, hot dogs, wraps, sandwiches etc and you'll get out of there cheap.
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote