Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-11-2007, 05:26 PM   #1
PennyPenny

Angry Water Ban In Meredith

I have to voice my opinion about McClearidith. I grew up in Meredith(moved there when I was 3 years old) I am now 46. I understand that devolopement was needed to improve a better way of life for the towns people. BUT how far is it going to go when the towns people can't even use the water that they grew up on? I have seen,read and been there first hand. The so called improvements have got to stop. Yippy for Rusty McClear. He has made his money and keeps making it at the expense of the natives at this point. Yes I blame him and his partners for the problems that Meredith now faces. And every other money grabbing hog that has sold out, including the Catholic Church. I can not even park in down town Meredith and see the lake any more without having to find a parking space. I can go on and on and on. For those of you who think I am just running my mouth so be it. But for those of us who are native and didn't inhereit the wealth, don't you think it has gone far enough? When is it going to stop? Everyone complains about the new roundabout but WE needed it!!? Who is to blame there? Certainly not me a native. Perhaps Meredith shouldn't be so pretty and welcoming.
PennyPenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:32 PM   #2
Gavia immer

You could go on, and on, and on, but don't forget the primary message that, as of today, Meredith residents have to restrict their use of water.

But don't feel bad. Tuftonboro had a moneyclone like yours a few years ago, but as a Selectman!
Gavia immer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:35 PM   #3
Pineedles

Default Progress

Don't feel so bad PennyPenny. My family has been on the lake for 115 years and my 53 years of it has seen many changes most good, but it is change and sometimes change is percieved as bad. I am from the Centre harbor area, and as a child we had to travel to Meredith for services like laundry, liquor, and decently priced groceries. We now have all these services in CH. If you own property in Meredith, then you have benefited from the rise in home prices. If not, then I understand where you are coming from. Change is tough, but will come no matter who it inconveniences.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:35 PM   #4
nj2nh

Can someone bring me up to speed on this? A water ban in Meredith? Is there a link to a news story I can read?

I mean, I live in Jersey and we vacation in Alton, but I love every town on the lake and would like to know about this.

Jersey Girl
Old 07-11-2007, 07:35 PM   #5
Mickomally

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyPenny
I have to voice my opinion about McClearidith. I grew up in Meredith(moved there when I was 3 years old) I am now 46. I understand that devolopement was needed to improve a better way of life for the towns people. BUT how far is it going to go when the towns people can't even use the water that they grew up on? I have seen,read and been there first hand. The so called improvements have got to stop. Yippy for Rusty McClear. He has made his money and keeps making it at the expense of the natives at this point. Yes I blame him and his partners for the problems that Meredith now faces. And every other money grabbing hog that has sold out, including the Catholic Church. I can not even park in down town Meredith and see the lake any more without having to find a parking space. I can go on and on and on. For those of you who think I am just running my mouth so be it. But for those of us who are native and didn't inhereit the wealth, don't you think it has gone far enough? When is it going to stop? Everyone complains about the new roundabout but WE needed it!!? Who is to blame there? Certainly not me a native. Perhaps Meredith shouldn't be so pretty and welcoming.

I am a Meredith resident, born and raised, fourth generation, and I feel your pain.
However I feel it warrants saying that sometimes growth like this is inevitable, and I think we are experiencing some of the pains associated with growth.
While you're certainly entitled to your opinion, I do feel it is unfair to single out one or a few entities for blame.
Mr. McLear, believe it or not, cares as much about Meredith as most of us do (at least this is my impression from speaking with him). The blame can be placed as much on the population growth as it can on private business.
While I respect you right to say how you feel, I just wanted to place a counterpoint out there.
Mickomally is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2007, 08:18 PM   #6
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl
Can someone bring me up to speed on this? A water ban in Meredith? Is there a link to a news story I can read?

I mean, I live in Jersey and we vacation in Alton, but I love every town on the lake and would like to know about this.

Jersey Girl
From a July 3, 2007 thread:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=4799

Also, an article in the online Laconia Citizen:

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...271/-1/CITIZEN
Old 07-11-2007, 08:41 PM   #7
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Old Meredith

Do you remember the old Meredith?? It was a @#$& hole not to long ago. Meredith would not be what it is today if not for someone with big nuts to do what he did. What makes you think Rusty is making money?? Do you see his expenses?? Do not judge this book by its cover. That man works damn hard for this town and his businesses. I see that man walking around each of his businesses daily picking up paper and trash. Your comments disgust me!!
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:59 PM   #8
hazelnut

Default Here Here

I second that emotion Mr Old Hubbard Rd. Not so long ago Meredith was a dump that was depressing to drive through. Now it is a destination city. Cities and towns across the globe yearn for the tourism dollars to be spent in their towns. Say what you will about Rusty but he has attracted people with $$$$ to spend and that money isn't all spent in his buildings. Others benefit HUGELY from the foot traffic he has SOLELY created. I have met the man once in my life so I am not biased in my comments but I salute his efforts. He took the risk and it has paid off. If he makes big bucks good for him he deserves it. Now if there are growing pains associated with this it can be tough but it pails in comparison to a town with abandoned buildings and tumbleweeds.

On a side note this brings to mind the animated movie "Cars." Think of those old towns along Route 66 when the interstate went and diverted traffic turning those towns into mere memories. I know it's a reach but it sorta reminds me of what Rusty did for Meredith. Wow, is he the real life Lightning McQueen????
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:17 PM   #9
Islander

Luckily we live in the USA, and how long you have lived in a town doesn't mean a thing. If you moved in yesterday you have just as much say as if your family founded the town.

I have never met Mr. McClear, but I will shake his hand if I ever do. Meredith has done an amazing turn around. In my opinion it is due to two factors. One is many miles of prime waterfront taxable property whose owners rarely use town services, and almost never use the schools. The other factor is Rusty McClear.
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:30 PM   #10
fatlazyless

Isn't the water shortage due mostly to lawn irrigation using town water. Probably, the largest lawn users could be coaxed into drilling wells or running a water line into a lake. Grass does not get any greener due to chlorination, and grass will not have fewer cavities due to flouridation. So, why water the grass with the town water system whose use should be more for the town's good health and less for lawns.

The water ban says no car washing except for commercial car washes, and no lawn watering with a hundred dollar fine.

Some long time residents are probably unhappy with the town's growth because their property taxes have gone up so much in the past few years. While the taxes get collected and spent by the town, the taxing system is determined by the state so we should fire Meredith's State Reps, Bruce Heald and Steve Nedeau. It's totally all their fault!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 07-12-2007 at 06:51 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:31 PM   #11
Mickomally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hubbard Rd
Do you remember the old Meredith?? It was a @#$& hole not to long ago. Meredith would not be what it is today if not for someone with big nuts to do what he did. What makes you think Rusty is making money?? Do you see his expenses?? Do not judge this book by its cover. That man works damn hard for this town and his businesses. I see that man walking around each of his businesses daily picking up paper and trash. Your comments disgust me!!
Wow, I go from defending Rusty to defending PennyPenny.......
Let us remember everyone is entitled to their opinion (and entitled to be flamed for it as well).
I think PennyPenny misses the "@#$& hole" as you put it, and he/she is entitled to it. You see some people would disagree that the new Meredith is better than the old. I like the new Meredith, and I liked the old one as well.
I often times hear the statement "this place wouldn't be here, or wouldn't be what it is", and I see it for what it is, a difference between what people value.
PennyPenny valued the smaller less tourist based Meredith. Meredith used to be a more "locals" town, where life was somewhat more laid back and things like traffic and water shortage just weren't an issue. It sounds like he/she resnts the fact that it has changed out from under her....this is an opinion shared by more than a few.
However, there are people (myself included) who are very happy the change took place, and look forward to more changes. Meredith is now a destination, is more beautiful, and one could argue a hub of the Lakes Region. Something I am proud of.
I am sure PennyPenny didn't mean to disgust you. Alot of what people say about Rusty is out of frustration. He's an easy target, and the figurehead for the change in a way. I'm sure PennyPenny, nor many people who dislike the new Meredith don't have anything personal against Rusty.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:43 PM   #12
hazelnut

I dunno Mick I went back and re-read the post. That was a pretty pointed post by Penny using terms such as "McClearidith," and comments such as "Yippy for Rusty McClear. He has made his money and keeps making it at the expense of the natives at this point." These statements go beyond mere opinion as far as I what I can read. I can understand frustration by old-timers and those who despise change but to dump all over one man AND blame him for a water ban??? I have to agree with Old Hubbard here and say those comments are pretty outrageous. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but these comments went a bit too far. Penny even hints that McClear is to blame for the roundabout??????? That was a state project..... wasn't it?
Old 07-11-2007, 10:53 PM   #13
Mickomally

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut
I dunno Mick I went back and re-read the post. That was a pretty pointed post by Penny using terms such as "McClearidith," and comments such as "Yippy for Rusty McClear. He has made his money and keeps making it at the expense of the natives at this point." These statements go beyond mere opinion as far as I what I can read. I can understand frustration by old-timers and those who despise change but to dump all over one man AND blame him for a water ban??? I have to agree with Old Hubbard here and say those comments are pretty outrageous. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but these comments went a bit too far. Penny even hints that McClear is to blame for the roundabout??????? That was a state project..... wasn't it?
Ya, you might be right. I guess I was doing a "pre-emptive strike" trying to keep the peace a bit in here. Theres too many nice people in here to argue all the time!
I'm just gonna give Penny my personal benefit of the doubt, and hope it was just frustration. I guess opinions are opinions are opinions, and Penny certainly has his/her own! As we all do.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:29 AM   #14
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,641 Times in 569 Posts

I'm a native,also and,have to weigh in on the side of Rusty on this one. I wasn't always proud of Meredith.Back in the days of the asbesto's plant people thought we were just another mill town like Ashland or Tilton.
Keep in mind that Rusty had as good a chance of failing as succeeding and to characterize him as some greedy rich guy is far from the truth .
NH Hospitality Holdings....I believe that is the name of his company, pays a lot of taxes every year,much of it on property that used to be distressed,provides a lot of jobs and has beautified the town to the point that other towns refer to us as the standard for success.
Sure ,there have been a few bumps in the road,there always is durring a period of growth and this water problem will be solved at some point.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:12 AM   #15
sa meredith

Default quick two cents...

It was written (although I don't recall by whom)...
"He that does not evolve, dies...."
I guess "he" could be a city or town.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:04 PM   #16
BBS2

Default evolution

Probably, Darwin.
BBS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:22 PM   #17
Nauset

I don't know who said it first, but...
The best way to deal with change is to be a part of it.
Nauset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:57 PM   #18
vrrooom

Default Paying for the infrastructure

It is difficult for towns to cover the costs of infrastructure: school buildings, municipal water, sewerage systems et al using property taxes. Some of the areas that I have property in have institued a fee, paid by developers which is used to create the new infrastructure. For example if Alton has 2200 property owners and an ifrasturcture with a replacement cost of 23.6 million each new property owner would need to contribute 11K to buy into the infrastructure. And a developer who wanted to put up 20 homes would need to contribute 220K to the infrastructure fund. An intersting way to avoid the long term water shortage that Meridith is going to face. BTB Commercial ventures such as hotels and resurants buy in on a case/case use oriented basis.
vrrooom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 01:47 PM   #19
steadyon

I am from Meredith, 4th generation.
I have lived here my entire life, I love Meredith, and my business is very successful from the sole reason that this town is booming.(well and I guess
I must be pretty good at what I do!)
Sure, it's a pain in the summer and we have never had a water ban
that I can remember, but I am proud to be from Meredith this beautiful
place that many, many people only have dreams of being here.
As far as Rusty, or our State Reps, or our town manager or anyone else
they are all doing the best that they can do.
I guess some natives will just have to say I don't like it here anymore
and move on.
steadyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:38 PM   #20
sa meredith

Default Move on??????

Well...to say long time residents who are not happy should "move on" may be a bit strong.
It is only normal for a person who was in a place first to have a certain sense of entitlement. And perhaps overlook certain benefits, and instead only see things like nightmare traffic jams and water restrictions. As a "newbie" (seasonal resident, 4 years) I love the area, and wouldn't consider going somewhere else (although the prices at Jackson Star freak me out on a regular basis) but remember coming up to the lake as a child 25/30 years ago, and don't really ever remember anything about Meredith. Everything centered around the Wiers in those days. And guess what??? 30 years later The Wiers looks EXACTLY like it did back then, and has not really evolved. Very, very outdated (not old, as in Wolfboro,which is old, but a true gem, but rather outdated) ...in my opinion. Times move on. There was a time Dunkin Donuts actually sold donuts, but sometime in the late 80s early 90s people switched to bagels, so Dunkins started selling bagels. And then the Atkins Diet came along, and noone ate bagels anymore, and designer coffees became all the rage...so again Dunkins started selling "light café mocha, with frothy skim milk, a hint of Cinnamon, etc., etc. Get the point????
How can anyone, long time or short time resident, go down to the town dock area, look out into the bay, and the restaurant and shopping area there,and not think it one of the best spots on the whole lake?
Long time residents, BE PROUD!
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:23 PM   #21
Irish mist

Meredith is a gem.........what a difference from 30 years ago. It's also a well-run town in general with a decent tax-rate. But like a lot of folks up here.....I'm troubled by the run-away-growth I'm seeing. I would like to see some more region-wide zoning with some "bite" to it ! Zoning, if used with care, can be a great tool. I really think the rural nature of the lakes region is more important than another strip-mall, and would have no trouble with more building restrictions than we now have in place.

I think the kind of development we see in downtown Meredith has been done very well. What I certainly don't want to see is the exit 20 look spread out....it reminds me of NJ. And please folks from NJ don't get mad I love NJ......I just don't want to see NH turn into it.
________
VAPORIZER REVIEW

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:20 PM   #22
PennyPenny

Default A response to my comment to all

I have read all of the comments to my post so far. Was I personally attacking RM and the holding company, perhaps. Do I like the change in Meredith, somewhat. Yes, it was an eyesore years ago and it does appear better now. I have a problem with how one company can take over a town and the towns people/voters just sit back and allow it to happen. IMO Meredith wouldn't have a water ban on now if downtown Meredith was not so developed. Tourist staying in the hotels and eating at the resaurants is a problem with supply and demand. You are right, it is not all to blame on RM but he has devolped Meredith into the tourist trap it has become. Yes, I miss the old Meredith I always will. It will never be what it use to be. I guess I am too nostalgic. And to those of you who said move on, I have. I/we moved out of Meredith 5 years ago and built a house in Sandwich on 18 acres of land with our own well and I/we have to maintain our own driveway that is 1/2 mile long. I only go through Meredith when I have to and keep going, shopping someplace else. McClearidith isn't getting my money. There is more to the town then most of you know. The natives know most of the dirty little secrets.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:50 PM   #23
Irish mist

Yes.........I've heard that about folks from NJ You made a good point about exit 20 being in and of itself no threat.....but if it spreads far enough, and "links-up" with more sprawl, well, then we are going to have problems. I had some folks from Massachuetts visit me last weekend who had not been up this way in over 25 years, and they were shocked at the development, and quite sad to see that the landscape is starting to look like "everywhere else".

There is still talk of developing exit 24, I don't know how that stands right now though.
________
Vapor Genie

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:12 PM   #24
hazelnut

Unhappy Biting my tongue

I have so much I want to say but in the interest of civility I will only say the following:

Penny, you start this thread complaining about a water ban in Meredith, then you dump all over Mr. McClear and blame him for your supposed woes.... THEN you finally come clean and tell us you don't even live there anymore.

WOW am I the only one a bit confused and disappointed by this whole thread?
Old 07-13-2007, 03:56 AM   #25
ApS

Question Evolution? Or "Revolution"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith
"...The Wiers looks EXACTLY like it did back then, and has not really evolved. Very, very outdated (not old, as in Wolfboro,which is old, but a true gem, but rather outdated)..."
The oldest area in Wolfeboro just got jammed-in by a developer's condominium. Many trees disappeared and scant inches separate buildings now. If you can't find a parking space in Wolfeboro—or get a parking ticket—mention that condo to a Selectman there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith
"...Times move on. There was a time Dunkin Donuts actually sold donuts..."
Two unwanted stores, Rite-Aid and Dunkin Donuts, are the real blight on "a true gem".

If you find an actual "Wolfeboro rush hour", it can be traced to the two stores with the only plastic signage in town. (And Dunkin Donuts in particular). Mention the traffic jam at Dunkin Donuts to a Selectman, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyPenny
"...And to those of you who said move on, I have. I/we moved out of Meredith 5 years ago and built a house in Sandwich on 18 acres of land with our own well and I/we have to maintain our own driveway that is 1/2 mile long..."
A beautiful area, Sandwich.

That automobile racetrack would have been another blight on still another beautiful New Hampshire town. I testified against the racetrack to Sandwich Selectmen years ago, and the town "didn't evolve" a racetrack overlooking the town.

As Martha Stewart might say, "That's a good thing".
Old 07-13-2007, 06:17 AM   #26
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Also, Biting my tougue

I agree 100% with Hazelnut!! This is not worth discussing any further!!
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:35 PM   #27
PennyPenny

Smile

I hope I get the final word on this seeing I started it. I have 2 grown children that still live in Meredith and my 2 youngest attend ILHS. Several family members still live there. Don't worry, I will live out my life in Sandwich and perhaps I will write a book someday about small town life in Meredith and people will gossip about who is who! Sorry to P!$$ so many of you off. Perhaps it made you all think again. Gotta love a good arguement though.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:41 PM   #28
GWC...

Update: Modified water ban...

http://www.unionleader.com/article.a...4-a98132039ac0