Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-11-2006, 07:40 PM   #1
mrylmbt

Default stolen

Has anyone heard of someone trying to sell a plow. we had our plow stolen right out of our driveway. we are right around willows. I think it was taken in broad daylight. Please if anyone has any leads let me know....thank you
mrylmbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 12:04 PM   #2
Weirs guy

Wow, and to think I USED to leave my doors and car unlocked. Was it just the blade or the blade and head unit? What brand was it, and what truck was it supposed to be on? If I help you find it you need to come over and plow my driveway (around the broken snowblower that is!).

Good luck Mary.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 02:51 PM   #3
Blue Thunder

Default I'll bet it was a Fisher Plow

It always seemed amazing to me that more plows aren't stolen this way. If it's a Fisher, the overwhelming choice here in New England, it only takes 30 seconds or so to pull up to it and take it away. With very few exceptions, any late model truck set up with a Fisher frame can hook up to any size Fisher plow from any type of truck and take it away. Unless you have the serial number from the unit, it will be very difficult to track down. Good Luck.

***Hopefully Don will move this to the General Discussion Category to get more exposure.

Blue Thunder
Old 12-12-2006, 05:17 PM   #4
tricia1218

This was the 1st year that we locked our cars at the lake. Normally, I would leave my purse, keys, in my unlocked car which is about 15 feet from the front door. Over this past summer coolers, grills, tools have been stolen off neighbors decks. And several cars had been rummaged through and most of this has happened while the owners where sleeping sometimes just feet away.

mrylmbt did the police have any luck locating your stolen plow?
tricia1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 09:02 PM   #5
mrylmbt

Default stolen plow

Hi all, is there a way to move this from the history forum. I don't know how i did that, but it would be better in the general discussion. we did notify the police. we do not expect to get it back. It was a fisher quick mount with the whole light assembly head. we just called around and i can see why people are stealing them instead of buying them, there up to $4000.00. ours was only 2 years old. it looked like new. we only plow our place with it and last year we hardly had snow.
I just wanted to see if maybe someone heard something, and to make people
aware of the thefts going on.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2006, 10:46 PM   #6
GWC...

Has anyone ever replaced this

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...1796_200321796

or this

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...Product%20Page

with this,

http://www.etrailer.com/mm5/merchant...ategory_Code=L

or this

http://www.etrailer.com/mm5/merchant...gory_Code=l114

to keep their plow where it belongs?
Old 12-13-2006, 01:26 PM   #7
Blue Thunder

Default More like this...

GWC,
I think you're piling it on here. I actually feel bad for her. 4K is a lot of money. Having said that, what any Fisher owner (including me) needs, is this:

http://www.brakeandclutch.com/fisher%20blade%20lock.htm
Old 12-13-2006, 02:22 PM   #8
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder
GWC,
I think you're piling it on here. I actually feel bad for her. 4K is a lot of money. Having said that, what any Fisher owner (including me) needs, is this:

http://www.brakeandclutch.com/fisher%20blade%20lock.htm
My post was a sincere query, nothing more…

4K is indeed a lot of money for a personal plow. I find it more economical to have someone else relocate the wintry precip from the walks and driveway, so I asked the question as a form of self-information via the members of this forum. I do have a receiver lock - frugal insurance, indeed, which is why my curiosity lead to my query.

This is another website that lists an offering of SNOWPLOW ACCESSORIES. Two types of locks are shown. A lock will, at minimum, cause the thief to ponder if your plow is worth the hassle, when so many are more easily obtainable.

http://www.endlesssummerrv.com/snowplows.htm
Old 12-13-2006, 03:02 PM   #9
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Yikes

Going to have to start thinking about locking things up more.. I hate to think of all the things that could easily drive, be pulled, or carried of my property.... Luckily I haven't heard of many thefts around me at the lake......

Last edited by LIforrelaxin; 12-14-2006 at 02:52 PM.
LIforrelaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:42 PM   #10
Diver1111

Thanked 1,028 Times in 225 Posts
Default Post a Reward

Finding dirtbags like that can often be done with money. Whoever took it may live in the area in all likelihood. They also tend to be braggarts. Place a simple display ad in local papers-worth a shot especially if you're really ticked off vs. just upset, regardless of whether or not it is covered by insurance.

Careful also about buying another. As soon as you replace it don't be surprised if they come back for that one too.
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 04:11 AM   #11
Misty Blue

Default Cheaper lock?

Blue Thunder:

Thanks for the info on locking up the plow.I really never thought that "up here" it would be an issue. The locking bar seems like a bit much though. I'm going to try a single heavy duty (and well lubed) lock through one of the locking pin holes. I figure that that will complicate and slow up the process enough to allow these dirtbags to look elsewhere.

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 07:29 AM   #12
Blue Thunder

Misty Blue,
You're right, an oversized Master Lock through one of the hitch holes would do the trick. I was just demonstrating the fact that such a device unfortunately exists. Those of us that own plows, know what they cost and Mary's incident just brings to light how trusting the majority of us still are, even in todays society. I happen to be involved in law enforcement here on the North Shore of Mass and for the last year and a half, every town around has been dealing with motor vehicle B&E's. The overwhelming number of these vehicles are left unlocked in the driveway with cell phones, laptops, MP3s etc. in plain sight. It just amazes me that, even in todays world, people don't lock their cars or even their homes at night.

BT
Old 12-14-2006, 10:42 AM   #13
tricia1218

BlueThunder, i live in the northshore and have been aware of all the B&E in the area, and was also surprised people would leave all those things in an unlocked car, at home in MA everything is locked up, but I guess I thought it was different up at the lake, lesson learned.
tricia1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:31 PM   #14
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder
With very few exceptions, any late model truck set up with a Fisher frame can hook up to any size Fisher plow from any type of truck and take it away.
I was under the impression that the width of the trucks frames made a difference in the width of the head units mounts?

Now?
Old 12-14-2006, 01:04 PM   #15
Blue Thunder

WG,
That used to be true in the old days but nearly every "off truck" Fisher plow set up, that is the part you see standing up in the driveway when not in use, is the same, regardless of blade width 7 1/2', 8' or 9'. Any Chevy, Ford, Dodge or other truck with the right setup (28 1/4 inch centers) can pull up, hook up, and take it away. That's why they call it a Minute Mount Plow and it can be done that fast.

BT
Old 12-14-2006, 01:27 PM   #16
RumGuy

Default Marking

My Father marked his old Fisher by using an arc welder and actually welding the truck's plate number into the plow itself. Not huge, but legible.
His contention was that it would take a heck of a lot of grinding to get that off. It wouldn't have stopped the theft, but would have helped in the recovery.
A question for the insurance wise out there-would the plow have been covered if it were IN SOME MANNER attached to the truck?
RumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 05:00 PM   #17
Aquadeziac

Default el Cheapo

The cheapest way i have found to lockup the headgear is a simple hardened lock in one of the holes of the drop-down leg below the main frame piece. Easy to get at after you back out of the headgear or before you drive in. Even if someone hooks up to the headgear AND the electronics AND is able to lift the blade, they are going nowhere if they can't lift that dropdown leg!!
Old 01-27-2007, 11:07 PM   #18
catman2

Default Stolen snow plow-any new info?

Hello.............I read this a while back and wondered if anything became of it?
I didn't see a description of the plow, but there was one advertised in the Laconia Sun the other day. (I believe it was a Fisher Minute-mount)

Please let us know any more details you can. I sometimes travel around the back roads and see these for sale now and then. Any ID marks, numbers, unusual dents, scratches etc?

This forum should be perfect for trying to locate these kinds of things...........there are so many people from different places etc.

Good luck and keep us posted?
catman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:53 AM   #19
mrylmbt

Default no luck

we never heard anything back from the police. we have gotten a new plow.
there we no identifable marks on it so it's like trying to find a needle in a hay stack. but thank you. we are working on things to not let this happen again.
hidden cameras..ect.ect. next time we will know who took things.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:03 AM   #20
Woodsy

Have a welder weld your initials into the plow frame and the plow. It will be a little so so looking cosmetically... but there will be no denyiong its your plow...

Woodsy
Old 01-30-2007, 12:15 PM   #21
Weirs guy

Default 2nd the initial welding..

For those interested see Dick Maher at Maher's Welding Service in Tilton (just past exit 20 heading into town). Not only is he a top notch welder but he's also a certified Fisher tech who'll do a professional looking job.
(This commercial brought to you buy Weirs Guy, who has no business affiliation with Maher's but has used him in the past with great results. )

http://www.backdrag.com/

Now?
Old 01-31-2007, 06:39 PM   #22
catman2

Default Good ideas........

That's a good idea guys. Who would of thought you would have to lock up a plow?
I see there's another one for sale in the Laconia Sun today.

well, best of luck with the new one.........
catman2 is offline   Reply With Quote