Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-08-2006, 12:08 PM   #1
John A. Birdsall

Default Lake Shore Park

While I don't recall ever staying there, we did visit it quite often as we had neighbors from Reading Mass that used to have a place there and if my memory is right it was late 50's or early 60. Their names were Basners, Lets see fathers name was Fred, Mother was Arlene, and then three boys Fred, John, and Charlie, charlie was the youngest and of the three boys he is the only one alive today. I think Arlene is in a nursing home, and Fred had died.
John Died last year I think.

My impression of LSP was a small city, but a lot of friendly people.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 04:42 PM   #2
Dickie B from HB

Default Hi Porch Sitter

Hello Debbie,

That picture was probably taken in the early 40's. If I'm not mistaken it was taken in front of Charly Dick's place which was to the left of the Birches. Bill might know for sure.

If so, then that must be Joe Reagen's dock in the background. If someone has a picture of his old lake boat, I would like to see that again.

For any current residents of LSP, do they still hold the costume contest at the Pavilion? That was always a big deal, with two or three hundred kids dressed in homemade costumes of which many were extremely clever.

Best Regards,
Dick B.
Dickie B from HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:32 PM   #3
Porch Sitter

Hi Dickie B,

I think they do still hold that contest - I beleive that Seadoochick and my mother even judged it last year!!!
Porch Sitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:53 AM   #4
No-Mo-Shun

Default Welcome, SEADOOCHICK and PORCHSITTER

Just got back from a trip, so some catching up to do. I don't remember the turtle in the foot bath, but I do like it, so maybe I'm guilty. The photo does look like it is in front of Charlie Dick's place. I wonder if we can come up with the names of all of the cabin owners on Long Beach, starting at Minnehaha Beach. No's 1 & 2 are blank for me, no. 3 was Jane Banks and later Bud Croes. No. 4 was Boerner's, no. 5 --Jed Cleversey, no.6--Blumstedt's, no. 7---Mather's, no.8--Bailey's, no. 9--- Austin's, no. 10--Fred and Florence Croes, no.11-- Charlie Dick, no. 12--Scott's and later Smitty. Second row was Matthews at the fence, Doc and Mickey Smith and Nelson's with Joe Reagan alongside the swamp(marina). What did I miss? There must be plenty.

There is Nothing, Absolutely Nothing, Half So Much Worth Doing as Simply Messing About in Boats
Kenneth Grahame
No-Mo-Shun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:47 AM   #5
gravy boat

Default LSP --the early years -- more photos found

HI All,

I just found one of my Mom's scrapbooks, including Winni Pageant info/photos from 1948 and 1949 (Mom was the runner up in 1948 and 2nd runner up in 1949), and found some nice photos of LSP. There were only tents, so I'm guessing the photos are prior to 1935. I hve a photo of Mom, No-mo-shun and Henry Banks on the LSP beach, summer 1935. One of Gramma Gladys, washing some clothes in the lake; a few of the tent and camping setup.

Hope to find a scanner so I can share some photos!

Gravy
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2006, 09:59 PM   #6
Pepper

Gravy - I've got a scanner at work. Come by any time, the laptop's always there with me, and we can scan, save, burn to cd, whatever! While we're at it, I'll print some out for Grandma Adele! It'll make her day!

BTW - PorchSitter isn't answering me ... who's the cherub in the photo above?????
Old 09-14-2006, 07:34 PM   #7
Porch Sitter

Hi Pepper!

I don't know who it is ? maybe seadoochick does??
I thought about putting together a DVD/slideshow on Aqua Vue and its beginings after digging through all the old pics, but I am not sure who some of the people are and this was one of them! Thought that would be easier than a scrapbook!
I'll share when done (could be months)
Porch Sitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 09:41 PM   #8
Pepper

Oh! Now I get it - so, I'll ask Grandma Adele to check it out next time she's here (where there's internet access) and as soon as I have an answer I'll let you know!
Old 09-15-2006, 04:36 PM   #9
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts
Wink

A few more postcards....

A Library of Congress Photo - early 1900s. View from Kimball's Castle of Rattlesnake Island and Lakeshore Park.

"Hope to have fresh caught salmon that Lee caught for supper tonight. Trailer living isn't too bad.?
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:05 PM   #10
carguy

Default Lake Shore Park Postcards

Thanks McDude, for posting the postacards. Some clarification on what we are looking at in these photos: The top post card is of Long Beach at Lake Shore Park (LSP). The second one down is a black and wife photo of the Chanticleer Inn next to Belknap Point. In the right hand side background of the photo is Lake Shore Park (Carr's Point) followed by Diamond Island then Rattlesnake Island. The third colored postcard down is of short beach at LSP with the "Big Pier" in the background. This postcard looks to be from the 1920's. The last colored postcard labled Lake Shore Park on Lake Winnipesaukee, N.H. is a mistake. The shore line pictures are not of Lake Shore Park.

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 05:15 PM   #11
mcdude

Carguy: I received those photos you sent along of the stations on the Lakeshore Railroad. Thanks! Here is the one of the Lakeshore Park Station

and a few more postcards

Old 11-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #12
dml01532

New here..not sure if this message is going where i want it to, or going anywhere. I got curious when mr v mentioned the "ufo" message. Someone called mr v, john. I believe I know him from the summer of '68 and that he was from NJ..(Borman?). My parents were members of the LSPA until the summer of '69. The "room" brought back great memories. I see a few families are still members. I remember mentioned names like the Mercandantes and the Degroots...friends of my parents and older brothers. We had Mercandantes old site next to Degroots. Just want to know what the park is like today. I haven't been there since the summer of '70.
dml01532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #13
RLW

Smile

dml01532, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Happy Thanksgiving and it sounds as if you may of heard of some of the residence up here. You keep looking and asking question and I'm sure you will get answers.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #14
MeredithMan

Default History of Lake Shore Park--MaryKay Cottage

I have found this entire thread to be very interesting and fascinating. The Lake has been an important part of my family's life, and it all began on Labor Day Weekend, 1973. We went away for the weekend and ended up at The MaryKay Cottage on the shores of LSP. I was just a 12 year old boy at the time, but it is probably one of the best childhood memories I have...playing ball in the water with my parents, a folk mass on Saturday evening in The Pavillion, and some older gent at the cottage next to The MaryKay who talked my father's ear off and began every sentence with, "Well anywho...."

The MaryKay was for sale at the time, I believe for $5,000.00. My parents were very tempted, but as I remember, you could only buy the cottage and not the land....not sure if that is accurate or not, but that is what I remember my parents saying. As a result, they didn't buy it, but eventually did find a place that brought them great joy the rest of their lives.

Now, as an adult with my own kids, the lake is our home-away-from-home and we owe it all to that weekend at LSP and the MaryKay cottage.

MM
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:54 AM   #15
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post

The MaryKay was for sale at the time, I believe for $5,000.00. My parents were very tempted, but as I remember, you could only buy the cottage and not the land....not sure if that is accurate or not, but that is what I remember my parents saying. As a result, they didn't buy it, but eventually did find a place that brought them great joy the rest of their lives.

MM
Yes.. LSP is still the same. Members own their cottage/mobilhome, but they don't own any "land" Instead they hold a VMC (Voting Member Certificate) that makes them 1/310th owner/member of the LSP Association.

This setup was the result of a long court battle that went all the way to the NH Supreme Court. The Town of Gilford wanted the land and buildings to conform with the town zoning laws. End result was a settlement that set the outside measurement of all cottages and mobilhomes, and restricted the addition of any "new" sites. At the time of the settlement there was 310 "Members" and that number can never me increased.
Bottom line was the court decided that LSP Assc. Had enough land to cover the 310 member sites, (LSP owns a whole lot of land on the other side of rt 11)

The coolest part of the ruling from the court was ' (paraphrased) "LSP is like a chicken farm, the town can control the number of chicken coops, but not where they are located" result was that we can't add any more coops.

I was 23 years old, and bought in for $800! Best investment I ever made!
MeredithMan (12-04-2013), znh (05-09-2014)
Old 12-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #16
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by dml01532 View Post
I got curious when mr v mentioned the "ufo" message. Someone called mr v, john. I believe I know him from the summer of '68 and that he was from NJ..(Borman?).
Yes D.L. (originally from Worcester, IIRC), it's me, John.

I moved to the west coast many years ago, but manage to get back to the lake occasionally to see family and just relax.

My family left the park many years ago; we still have a place near Ames Farm.

I wonder what ever happened to Paul?

Those UFOs were cool (thanks Dickie B from HB for showing me how!); we're lucky we didn't cause a forest fire with the danged things.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:28 AM   #17
Dickie B from HB

Default Leaving LSP for the summer

Well another Labor Day has come, and even though I haven't spent a summer at Lake Shore Park in over 50 years, Labor Day always brings back the memory leaving LSP and heading back down the road to New Jersey.
We had a cabin on Long Beach, four spots away from MiniHaHa (now Ellacoya).
We would leave New Jersey around the end of June and head to the lake, spend all summer there, and return home on Labor Day.
Nothing was more depressing than going back to New Jersey on Labor Day!!!
What made it even worse was that school would start the following day.
My parents would pack up the old Oldsmobile (no luggage, just laid all the clothes out in the trunk), while I would be out saying goodbye to all my friends, sometimes leaving a summer girlfriend behind.
We would close up the cabin, put the shutters on the windows, and lock the door. Then it was one last ride out through the ball field and over the bridge at the swamp and up to the pavilion to fill up on gas. Then out the bumpy dirt road past big rock (giving my father a final opportunity to curse at all the potholes) to the end and past the old Lake Shore Park sign and onto route 11.
Nothing was more painful then the ride from New Hampshire to New Jersey. Going from the pristine air of New England to the choking haze that hung over New York and northern Jersey is a memory that I would like to forget.
But, Labor Day always brings it back.

Last edited by Dickie B from HB; 09-01-2014 at 06:00 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dickie B from HB For This Useful Post:
Mr. V (09-09-2014), Slickcraft (09-01-2014), Soaringeagle (08-29-2022)
Old 09-01-2014, 11:57 AM   #18
RailroadJoe

The first photo on this post was of the railroad station by McDude. I am curious to know if the gentleman who had the sign on top "LAKE SHORE PARK" ever gave it to the association? Last time I went by his pl;ace it seems he has moved on, not sure. Name of Roger
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:07 AM   #19
mcdude

“Lake Shore Park-an Historical Cruise”, Featuring Gerrie McKenna
(Weirs, NH – Wednesday, August 19th, 7 p.m.)
Lake Winnipesaukee Museum is hosting a presentation, “Lakeshore Park-an Historical Cruise, Featuring Gerrie McKenna

The year was 1890 and the date was June 17, the Concord & Montreal Railroad finished a rail line from Lakeport to Alton Bay. This railroad ran through Lake Shore Park which was owned by the Boston & Maine railroad and was one of the stops along the way.

Through these park grounds the Lake Shore railroad runs, dividing the park proper, on the water-front from the park community establishment, which occupies the remainder of the tract, on the south side if iron highway.

Gerrie has been a resident of Lake Shore Park for over 80 years. She will present the history of Lake Shore Park with historical photographs and documents. She will bring the history from when Lake Shore Park began up to the current day.

This event is free for Lake Winnipesaukee Historical Society members, for non members there is a $5 fee with all proceeds going to benefit the Historical Society’s ongoing renovations. We are located on Route 3 in Weirs Beach, next to Funspot. Please RSVP to 366-5950.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:09 AM   #20
Mr. V

I recall walking to the Pavillion every morning, container in hand, to hand pump drinking water from the well: it was the only potable water source.

I also recall how the well was very close to a pazoozy (sic), i.e. a communal bathroom.

The toilets drained into a septic system, not sewers.

My questions: was there regular testing of the well water to detect contaminants such as bacteria?

Any known incidents of people getting ill from contaminated well water?
Old 01-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #21
rse2

Default Aerial Photos available.

I have some aerial photos that I believe were take by Lewis E. Weeks (or Marion C. Weeks (his wife) while Lewis piloted), father of Peggy Weeks.
I don't know when they were taken or if they are specific to Lake Shore Park.

If anyone is interested I'll email a link.

They are too big to simply upload. I did upload one to the "aerial photo" section and that maxed out my allotment. (Fixed the problem see subsequent posts)

PM me.

Last edited by rse2; 01-18-2012 at 06:27 PM. Reason: (Fixed the problem see subsequent posts)
rse2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rse2 For This Useful Post:
mcdude (01-10-2012), SteveA (01-10-2012)
Old 01-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #22
webmaster

Thanked 3,732 Times in 827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rse2 View Post
They are too big to simply upload. I did upload one to the "aerial photo" section and that maxed out my allotment.
You are not maxed out. You only posted one picture. There is plenty of room left.

You can also attach pictures to your post. There is no quota for attached pictures.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #23
rse2

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
You are not maxed out. You only posted one picture. There is plenty of room left.

You can also attach pictures to your post. There is no quota for attached pictures.
OK I'll give that a try.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #24
rse2

Default Aerials By Lewis E. Weeks.

Hope this worked and I hope you find these interesting/useful.

I believe these were all taken by my father in-law Lewis E. Weeks who passed some years ago.

I was married to his daughter Margaret (Peggy Weeks) for 30 years until here untimely death this last August.

I found these photos when going through some boxes.

Lewis' wife Marion is still living at 97.
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rse2 For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (01-31-2012), Rattlesnake Gal (01-19-2012), Redwing (01-10-2012), SteveA (01-10-2012)
Old 01-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #25
Just Sold

rse2, Thank you for some great photos. It looks to me that these were taken in the early 50's or maybe late 40's based on the cars I can identify.
The top 3 are of Lake Shore park. I believe the bottom photo is of Barton's Motel in Laconia on Paugus Bay with the cemetery on the right. There is one of the Lakes Region Playhouse next to what is today Mountain View Yatch Club and where the Fireside Inn and Suites and the old Bea Mae's is today.

I am guessing but I think pictures 5 & 6 are of the Christmas Island Motel. Anyone agree?

Can anyone else identify the locations in these pictures.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #26
SteveA
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
Can anyone else identify the locations in these pictures.
I think you got it all Just Sold.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #27
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Great aerials!

I believe Just Sold is spot on! The picture below Christmas island Motel looks like the old Shangra La aka Brickyard Mountain Inn.

The picture below has what appears to be K C on the barn. Not sure at all where that is although the house looks familiar from the Rte 3 bypass in Gilford near the airport.

My dad was one of the builders for Phil Roux's Christmas Island project.

Last edited by BroadHopper; 01-10-2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: spelling
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #28
mcdude

Default Proof Positive

JustSold: You are "wicked smaht!" Here's a shot for comparison purposes of the Shangri-La vs. photo #7

and here's Christmas Island.....compare to #5 & 6

Last edited by mcdude; 01-10-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #29
SteveA
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
rse2, Thank you for some great photos. It looks to me that these were taken in the early 50's or maybe late 40's based on the cars I can identify.
Very late 40's, more likely early 50's. In picture # 1, of LSP you can see the flagpole, it was put up in 1949. It looks like Long Beach has no cottages "right" on the beach, which would date it in the 50's.

Thanks again for posting RSE2, welcome to the Forum!
Old 01-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #30
rse2

Default Uploaded large size aerials by Weeks

I just uploaded full size versions of the Weeks aerials to the "Gallery" Historical photo section. Much more detail is available if you're interested.
The Following User Says Thank You to rse2 For This Useful Post:
SteveA (01-11-2012)
Old 07-12-2017, 07:00 PM   #31
gravy boat

Default LSP - early years

Love these old pics from my great grandparents. Before the cabins....
Attached Images

gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:53 AM   #32
Doobs41378

My grandparents camp is in the area shown in the second to last picture (4 up from the foot bridge). Obviously looks much different now. Was the marina there at this time or was that put in afterwards?
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:08 AM   #33
Dickie B from HB

Default Marina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobs41378 View Post
My grandparents camp is in the area shown in the second to last picture (4 up from the foot bridge). Obviously looks much different now. Was the marina there at this time or was that put in afterwards?
The marina was built by Spanos and Rugg in 1960 shortly after they bought the park from the Jones family. Those pictures were taken in the 30's.

That first picture is of my mother washing clothes on the dock in front of our cabin (them days are long gone LOL. We used to wash in the lake too with a bar of soap). Back then it wasn't much of a cabin. It was a board floor with wood sides that went up about four feet. The rest of it was a tent top that was put up each summer. Jones allowed the campers to store all their equipment for the winter in the barn on the other side of route 11 outside the park.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:38 PM   #34
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickie B from HB View Post
The marina was built by Spanos and Rugg in 1960 shortly after they bought the park from the Jones family. Those pictures were taken in the 30's.

That first picture is of my mother washing clothes on the dock in front of our cabin (them days are long gone LOL. We used to wash in the lake too with a bar of soap). Back then it wasn't much of a cabin. It was a board floor with wood sides that went up about four feet. The rest of it was a tent top that was put up each summer. Jones allowed the campers to store all their equipment for the winter in the barn on the other side of route 11 outside the park.
Did/Do you know Ray and Anne Todd? Those are my grandparents.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:48 PM   #35
Dickie B from HB

Quote:
You know I don't remember them, but I am sure that I must have said hello to them as I passed their camp. It's been a long time since I left the park, which was in 1963. There were so many people that I knew back then, but have faded from memory.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:53 AM   #36
Mr. V

When did the Mount stop docking at Big Pier?

Must have been long ago.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:34 AM   #37
chachee52

Quote:
Ma and Pa! Ma still sits on the porch and keeps track of me and what I'm up to. Miss Pa's daily swim in the lake to "test the water".
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:55 AM   #38
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
Ma and Pa! Ma still sits on the porch and keeps track of me and what I'm up to. Miss Pa's daily swim in the lake to "test the water".
Is that you Todd?
Old 07-19-2017, 06:26 PM   #39
chachee52

Quote:
Is that you Todd?
The one and only
I've taken over my grandfather's spot on his porch listening to the Red Sox games and watching people walk by now.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:38 PM   #40
Captain Bob

Thanks to SteveA for starting this string, and all the great input! I've always loved Lake Shore Park history. You know the wooden water tower above the rail bed? I've always wondered whether it was for camp use only (it was lake water pumped up to the tower), or if it served the trains. And here's something not too many people know - not far from the wooden water tower, on top of some boulders at a higher elevation, there are imprints from steel tower leg supports set in concrete on the boulders, if I remember right forming a square like 10' x 10' or so, that I always guessed used to be a steel water tower probably smaller and older than the wooden one that remains! Any info?
Captain Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:46 PM   #41
carguy

Default 2nd Lake Shore Park Water Tower

Captain Bob:

Yes, I remember a second lake Shore Park Water Tower. It was smaller and painted yellow and green. If you were standing on the steps of the pavilion and looking at the big old gray water tower, the smaller water tower was situated about 75-100 feet to the left towards the LSP entrance road (the hump on the hill).

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
Old 09-21-2006, 07:20 AM   #42
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Question Photo Location

Does this shot (a single from a stereo view) look like it was taken from Lake Shore Park?
Thanks!
Attached Images

Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:23 AM   #43
carguy

Default Picture Not Taken from Lake Shore park

RG:

That picture was taken at a higher elevation, possibly from lower elevations of Locke's Hill near where the Chanticleer Inn was located. I would say somewhere between Greystone and Chanticleer. If you look at the attached picture in this post, I would guess that the photographer in the picture you posted would have been standing in the area on the right hand side of the attached photo in this posting.
Attached Images

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
Old 09-23-2006, 08:27 AM   #44
Captain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy
Captain Bob:

Yes, I remember a second lake Shore Park Water Tower.
Thank you, carguy! You are the virtual encyclopedia! After 50 years, you're the first person to tell me that my guess was correct! Yes, the spot you mention is where I found the old tower "foot" imprints.
Captain Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:08 PM   #45
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Thx McDude

I've not seen the short beach card before. It looks like at one time there was a "covered bench" on the front right corner of Big Pier..

Thanks for posting it.

SteveA
Old 02-02-2007, 06:17 PM   #46
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Thanks... ya you outbid me...!

This is a great postcard... and Thank You McDude for posting it here!

I've never seen this view... and yes... allot of the folks at LSP are very serious about preserving the History of LSP.

To the Victor go the Spoils

SteveA
Old 02-04-2007, 01:37 AM   #47
carguy

Default Lake Shore Park Pavilion Post Card

McDude:

Nice purchase on the postcard of the pavilion. I have not seen that particular card before.

Steve A:

Take it from an old ebayer (member since 12/97), if you really want something in ebay bad enough, snipe bid it with the MAXIMUM amount that you would be willing to pay for it.

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
Old 02-17-2007, 12:14 AM   #48
MWSP

Default Flying Saucers!!!

While looking for more pageant information, I came across this story in the July 10, 1947 edition of The Laconia Evening Citizen:

Sees Flying Discs At Lake Shore Park
Bill Rowlin of Providence, 17-year old youth, who is spending the summer at Lake Shore Park in Gilford reported to the Evening Citizen that he saw three flying discs at about 10:05 this morning over Lake Winnipesaukee going in the direction of Alton. He took pictures he hopes will reveal the presence of three objects about 5,000 feet up.
Earlier in the week Thomas Dale, son of the governor, reported seeing flying discs in about the same location going in the same direction.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:26 PM   #49
mcall9031

Default UFO over Winnipesaukee

Here is what the Gov's son saw.

See case 733

http://mimufon.org/historical_folder...SectionIII.htm

Mike C
Old 11-05-2008, 11:21 AM   #50
BJAM

This whole Lake Shore Park thread is like listening to my Mother all over again. She grew up at Lake Shore Park, and my Grand father Clinton Flanders was the section foreman from West Alton to Lakeport. My Mother was born in 1914 in a farm house across from th enterance to Ellacoya Park. She has since passed, but I have alot of info that she had. I have to take the time to find it. Thank you so much for this thread.
BJAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BJAM For This Useful Post:
SteveA (11-07-2008)
Old 08-17-2022, 05:06 PM   #51
Soaringeagle

Default lakeshore park

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJAM View Post
This whole Lake Shore Park thread is like listening to my Mother all over again. She grew up at Lake Shore Park, and my Grand father Clinton Flanders was the section foreman from West Alton to Lakeport. My Mother was born in 1914 in a farm house across from th enterance to Ellacoya Park. She has since passed, but I have alot of info that she had. I have to take the time to find it. Thank you so much for this thread.
BJM; HAVE YOU FOUND PICTURES OF LAKESHORE PARK?
any pictures of terrance hill across from samoset?
Soaringeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 06:46 AM   #52
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soaringeagle View Post
BJM; HAVE YOU FOUND PICTURES OF LAKESHORE PARK?
any pictures of terrance hill across from Samoset?
My family had a cottage on Terrace Hill. From the late 50s to 1998 when taxes skyrocketed. Before that the cottage had been in the family since the 1890s.

Before the Laconia bypass, it was quite the trip taking backroads through Laconia and Gilford to get to the 'camp'.

Sorry I don't have pictures of Terrace Hill. Up until the early 70s, it was a seasonal dirt road covered with used crankcase oil to mitigate dust. Almost all the camps were owned by middle class residents, firemen and policemen from Mass, RI and New York. There were two cabin colonies with seasonal rental, one was owned by Ellie Donnelly and the other was by Kitty her sister. Both of Irish origin.

The residents would have neighborhood block parties where the families would get together to socialize and the kids would get to know each other. Gone are the days I cherished on the lake.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:47 PM   #53
Apples

Default Lake Shore Park Memories

Oh my gosh.....the memories from these pictures. LSP was a frequent "hot spot" for class trips from Alton Central School, later the Girl Scouts had camping trips there. A trip down memory lane of a happier time in life. My family had a cottage near LSP and I spent many many hours walking the beach towards LSP, fishing in the brook there.........seems like there were lots of suckers in that brook. Thanks for the memories!!!!
Apples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:49 PM   #54
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples View Post
Oh my gosh.....the memories from these pictures. I spent many many hours walking the beach towards LSP, fishing in the brook there.........seems like there were lots of suckers in that brook. Thanks for the memories!!!!
After they built the marina at LSP, we used to catch pickerel in there.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:50 PM   #55
mcdude

Default A few more images....

A newly acquired postcard

another rare photo of the lakeshore park inn

Old 07-30-2009, 05:06 PM   #56
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Thank You !

What a find on that Pic of the Inn. The only one I've ever seen was the one posted by "mcall" earlier in the thread!

I search all the time for all things LSP. Good catch on that one..
and thanks for sharing it.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:39 PM   #57
Dickie B from HB

Default The girls of LSP, circa 1961

This picture might jog some memories. It was taken at Big Pier about 1961 (give or take a year).

I can't remember all the girls names, but in the top row starting at the third from the left is Carol Eggers, Peggy Weeks, and Wendy Shull, with Barbara Brown at the top right. Bottom row left is Cherie Ellis with Nancy Boudet (fifth from left), and Faye Brown.

There was never a shortage of girls at Lake Shore Park.

Dick B.

Last edited by Dickie B from HB; 08-05-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:59 PM   #58
mcdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickie B from HB View Post
This picture might jog some memories. It was taken at Big Pier about 1961 (give or take a year).
Dick B.
Dickie B: That's a great photo!

BroadHopper "Lakeshore Park? Judging from the distance landscape, the first two pictures are scenes from North Beach. The third is from South Beach as I see Diamond Island at the very left.

Quote:
SteveA:
The first two are of what is now called Short Beach.. hard to place the third, but it looks like the area just to the left of Big Pier.

Amazing to see how much that beach section has changed. The beach in the photos is wider than the beach that is there now. The second picture shows what is the opening to the present marina.. (I think)
The first two pictures were taken just east of the marina entrance at LSP. The time frame was either the late forties or early fifties. The water that you can see crossing the beach at the bottom of the second picture is probably the outlet of the creek that drained into the lake. It was converted into the marina in '58 or '59. I remember the sailboat in those pictures was always there. In twenty years I never saw it off the mooring. The third picture looks to be earlier (early forties), and appears to be the boat ramp and the rental boats to the right of big pier.

Dick B.

Last edited by mcdude; 01-10-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:11 PM   #59
SIKSUKR

Great stuff guys.Love this history of Winni!The girls are ok too.