Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-09-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Fireplace Conversion to Gas

Has anyone done a fireplace conversion to Gas fireplace?
Fireplace is brick, with a good flue.

If you have done this type of conversion, I would like to hear your comments.

Also, any recommnedations for trade people in the Lakes Region, who can perform this modification.

Thanks !
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:26 AM   #2
Resident 2B

Bigdog,

We had one done in Mass. 12 years ago. It is in a great room on the main floor of a two-story colonial. The fireplace is brick and the house was 10 years old at the time. The reasons we did it was to get quick and easy heat when we wanted it, to get instant effects with little work and to keep the area cleaner.

Wood = Dirt.

We use the gas insert often when we are in Mass, which is about 50% of the time in the winter. It is still the same unit we installed 12 years ago, we are on natural gas and are happy we did it.

When we bought our place on the lake, we decided to stay with wood. Even though the gas fireplace in Mass. is convenient, there is nothing like a wood fire. So we installed a very heavy, cast iron insert into our stone fireplace at the place in NH. We are happy with that decision as well.

Able Stove on Rt. 3 in Tilton (I think) did the work in NH, and the Fire Place store on Rt 114 in Middleton did the work in Mass. The gas fireplace insert takes in air at the top of the chimney, so it does not draw air from the house. They ran the intake and the smoke pipe in the existing flue. They also drilled through the brick for he gas line and sealed around it to make it air tight.

It is nice to walk into the place in Mass., grab the fireplace remote and hear the little poof as the gas ignites. However, it is great to sit near the wood fire place in NH. The cast iron insert gives ten to twelve hours of burn, once the fire is established.

I hope this helps.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:25 AM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,395 Times in 968 Posts

We converted a fireplace to gas quite a while ago. The nice thing is if you want an evening fire, you don't have to haul the wood, have the mess and leave the damper open all night for just a couple of hours. We had a lot of trouble with the first one we put in, the second one has worked quite well. This is in a big room and does not put out anywhere near the heat that the wood did, but we still enjoy it. Just two different things.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
Gatto Nero

When we bought our place in '04 it came with a brand new gas log insert inside an older brick fireplace. Gas logs are, I assume, meant to be used primarily for looks as are pretty much useless as a heat source. Since it was brand new and recently installed by Mr. Fireplace in Laconia (now out of business) they agreed to take it back as a trade in towards a fully enclosed fireplace insert. We now use that insert as the primary heat source on that level while we are there. We've had no issues with it and it heats the place just fine. Our last place has a wood stove, which I loved. Although you really can't compare the cozy feeling of a wood fire with what you get from a gas insert it sure is a lot cleaner and less hassle to deal with. One click on the remote and you're good to go.

As for installation, you'll need to have a plummer bring the gas line (we use propane) and an electrician bring power (for the fan) to the firebox. Whoever installs the insert will most likely install an aluminum flu inside your existing brick flu. Perhaps whoever you buy the insert from can do the entire installation, or least coordinate the whole process.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:59 PM   #5
Capt Bart

If you use a ventless enclosed insert you only have to worry about size,gas piping and elec. If I can help call me, Barton Const. at 603 455 4125. Bart
Capt Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2009, 09:50 AM   #6
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Lightbulb Vented gas Insert

There is a new business in Laconia on Rte 3. Just off Winnisquam. www.easededges.com. They appear to be very knowledgeable and have a great show room. They deal in gas, pellet and wood inserts as well as stoves. An interesting novelty is the pellet grill, that can also be a smoker or convection oven. Take a look at the website.
I am in the market for gas logs. They convinced me that it is unefficient and to go with the vented insert. With the forced air fan and thermostat it becomes a space heater. The ventless insert is OK if you want just the 'look'. Not reccomended for space heating.
They also have on display a pellet insert. I have not seen one before. It is pretty slick as it can hold a day's supply of pellets. 40 lbs.

I will only use the insert for 'looks' as well as to warm up the living room area for the evening. So the vented gas insert will be good for me.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:44 PM   #7
fpartri497

Default vented gas insert

I purchaced a propane gas fireplace Insert two years ago. I have been sorry ever since. It Is NOT efficent. It uses hughe amounts of propane. I was going to buy a pellet stove but changed my mind because It needs electricty. Boy am I sorry now that I didnt buy It.

the first year I drained a 100Lb. tank In two weeks and It cost $300.00 to fill It back up. now I only use It occasionaly to enjoy the flames. That was my big mistake for that year.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:37 PM   #8
This'nThat

We converted our fireplace a while ago. It does a good job keeping the house warm when outside temps are above freezing. Two recommendations, though:
  • Install a multi-speed blower. Keeps the house much warmer.
  • Install a thermostat. We wouldn't live without it.
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:19 PM   #9
Flyfisha

Default Gas fireplace

As I write I am sitting in front of my gas fireplace. It is not an insert but a complete vented unit. I couldn't be happier with its performance. It gives us plenty of heat and is wonderful to look at. Obviously in a regular fireplace the conversion will have heat losses but then again there is nothing more ineffiecient than a wood buning fireplace. And to the guy who pays 300 dollars for a 100 pound bottle refill of propane. You are really buying it at the wrong place.
Flyfisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:18 AM   #10
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Dealers in Lakes Region

Still in the market for a natural gas fireplace insert. Eased Edges were a bit expensive but they have the new ones with 'smart thermostat' that regulate the flame and blowers to maintain constant heat in the room. Eliminate the flame off, flame on of the past. They even have a unit that connect to the central heating system to call for heat as needed!

Stargazers next to Lowes in Gilford also sells the inserts. They don't have a fancy showroom nor do the showroom keeps regular hours. They are mainly in the repairs and maintenance business. They can get inserts for you and install. They are price at 20% of off retail and carries the Napoleon and Enviro brands. The Enviro brand has a similar thermostat to the Eased Edges products.

Anyone have experience with these dealers or others in the Lakes Region?
Old 10-27-2010, 12:13 PM   #11
T.H.E. Binz

Default Prefer "Ventless" Approach

. . . converted both fireplaces to propane about four years ago . . . couldn't be happier as it is so convenient to just turn on/off frequently (and with a remote, too). We opted for the so-called "ventless" approach which is a less aesthetically pleasing fire, but throws out oodles of heat (probably 90% in the room instead of up the chimney. It's not really ventless - the damper is open about 3/8". The wood fire vs. gas log threshold for us was about 8 to 10 fires per season - any more than that becomes a royal pain in the butt trying to haul in logs, get the logs going, etc.
T.H.E. Binz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:15 PM   #12
gtagrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Still in the market for a natural gas fireplace insert. Eased Edges were a bit expensive but they have the new ones with 'smart thermostat' that regulate the flame and blowers to maintain constant heat in the room. Eliminate the flame off, flame on of the past. They even have a unit that connect to the central heating system to call for heat as needed!

Stargazers next to Lowes in Gilford also sells the inserts. They don't have a fancy showroom nor do the showroom keeps regular hours. They are mainly in the repairs and maintenance business. They can get inserts for you and install. They are price at 20% of off retail and carries the Napoleon and Enviro brands. The Enviro brand has a similar thermostat to the Eased Edges products.

Anyone have experience with these dealers or others in the Lakes Region?
I'd be interested in learning more about the unit that connects to the central heating system. We currently have a propane fireplace in our great room.

We do have a Lopi gas stove in our living room and that thing cranks out the heat!
gtagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:13 PM   #13
livefreeordie

Gas inserts are great, check out Fireside Living in Laconia. They have a great showroom and lots of models on display.
livefreeordie is offline   Reply With Quote