Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Composite Decking (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27856)

eillac@dow 04-11-2022 07:10 PM

Composite Decking

Does anybody know if you can paint composite decking?

If so, has anybody done it? And what product did you use?

The decking I have is about 15 years old. I regretted the color of the decking as soon as it was put down. It would be nice to be able to change color.

Thanks for any information you may have.

secondcurve 04-11-2022 08:22 PM

Hi:

Google rustoleum rocksolid composite deck refresh. I haven’t tried it but it might be what you are looking for.

ABOUT COMPOSITE DECK REFRESH

RockSolid® Composite Deck Refresh Toner is an exceptional water-base exterior toner designed to refresh the color and restore the finish on faded composite wood decks. It provides protection against water damage, UV graying and mildew. It is easy to use, dries fast and cleans up quickly with water.
One coat application
Protects against UV damage
Resists Mold & Mildew growth
Provides superior water repellency with hydrophobic Properties
Covers up to 300 sq. ft.
FOR BEST RESULTS

Be sure to choose the tone that best matches the original composite deck color.
AVAILABLE SIZES

1 Gallon
FIND

Good

John Mercier 04-12-2022 10:45 AM

Which composite?
Early forms of Trex could be... current forms cannot be.

eillac@dow 04-13-2022 04:35 AM

Thank you John and Secondcurve for your responses.

I’m not really sure what type of composite decking it is. Not even sure if we have the paperwork from when we purchased it. I’ll have to check.

Thank you very much for the information that you provided on the RockSolid It sounds good but it does say you should probably stay as close to the original color as possible. Unfortunately The color I have a similar to a brick color and I was looking to maybe change the color to something in the gray family.

Appreciate your thoughts and comments.

tis 04-13-2022 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eillac@dow (Post 369354)
Thank you John and Secondcurve for your responses.

I’m not really sure what type of composite decking it is. Not even sure if we have the paperwork from when we purchased it. I’ll have to check.

Thank you very much for the information that you provided on the RockSolid It sounds good but it does say you should probably stay as close to the original color as possible. Unfortunately The color I have a similar to a brick color and I was looking to maybe change the color to something in the gray family.

Appreciate your thoughts and comments.

When we had that (which I hated) we bleached it. It won't change your color but at least it will get some -SOME- of the mold out.

John Mercier 04-13-2022 08:28 PM

Mold shouldn't be able to attach itself to a capped composite... and bleach will weaken the plastic binding material that is the major component of the board.

tis 04-14-2022 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mercier (Post 369395)
Mold shouldn't be able to attach itself to a capped composite... and bleach will weaken the plastic binding material that is the major component of the board.

Well, we certainly had it, but then again mold can attach it self to anything. Maybe the bleach did weaken it but at least it looked better.

codeman671 04-14-2022 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eillac@dow (Post 369315)
Does anybody know if you can paint composite decking?

If so, has anybody done it? And what product did you use?

The decking I have is about 15 years old. I regretted the color of the decking as soon as it was put down. It would be nice to be able to change color.

Thanks for any information you may have.

How many square feet are you talking about? I think that you will be constantly chasing/maintaining it if you try to paint composite. Its not a material that was meant to be painted. I would look to replace it with something new, in the color you want.

John Mercier 04-14-2022 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 369412)
Well, we certainly had it, but then again mold can attach it self to anything. Maybe the bleach did weaken it but at least it looked better.

The mold actually eats the pollen/dirt that is caught in the tread pattern of the decking. It will also do the same thing to vinyl siding.

It turns black when it runs out of organic matter to consumer or dries due to a lack of moisture.

The manufacturer suggestion is to wash the deck twice per year... once to remove pollen... the second to remove leaves/etc.
Spots/areas that are not responding to just hose pressure should be brushed with a soft bristle, and then rinsed.

The ''wash'' may be no more than rinsing off with the hose if no areas of concern are noted.

That process also creates the situation where the owner will inspect the deck twice per year and note any situation that might need a repair.

tis 04-14-2022 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mercier (Post 369453)
The mold actually eats the pollen/dirt that is caught in the tread pattern of the decking. It will also do the same thing to vinyl siding.

It turns black when it runs out of organic matter to consumer or dries due to a lack of moisture.

The manufacturer suggestion is to wash the deck twice per year... once to remove pollen... the second to remove leaves/etc.
Spots/areas that are not responding to just hose pressure should be brushed with a soft bristle, and then rinsed.

The ''wash'' may be no more than rinsing off with the hose if no areas of concern are noted.

That process also creates the situation where the owner will inspect the deck twice per year and note any situation that might need a repair.

I washed it more than twice a year. Anyway, I don't have it any more. I think I have had every kind of decking imaginable starting with PT and was never happy with anything until the Azek which I currently have. This is the least work and after quite a few years still looks pretty good.

John Mercier 04-14-2022 06:16 PM

The Azek should be washed twice a year also. Though mold cannot eat it either, mold will appear whenever spores and moisture present the condition for the mold to grow then die.

Azek will scratch easier than a composite... and care needs to be taken on certain products - things like sunscreen/lotion - getting on its surface.

But like a composite deck, using a shovel with a plastic edge... and keeping it clean should avoid most of the negatives.

Its greatest use was as a dock material. Very light - more like cedar - compared to PT or composite options. They even make a new version called MAX that can handle a two foot on center substructure here in New England.

And due to width options (4/6/8), it can make a very dramatic statement without a lot of additional cost.

tis 04-15-2022 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mercier (Post 369459)
The Azek should be washed twice a year also. Though mold cannot eat it either, mold will appear whenever spores and moisture present the condition for the mold to grow then die.

Azek will scratch easier than a composite... and care needs to be taken on certain products - things like sunscreen/lotion - getting on its surface.

But like a composite deck, using a shovel with a plastic edge... and keeping it clean should avoid most of the negatives.

Its greatest use was as a dock material. Very light - more like cedar - compared to PT or composite options. They even make a new version called MAX that can handle a two foot on center substructure here in New England.

And due to width options (4/6/8), it can make a very dramatic statement without a lot of additional cost.

This is pretty old and I have it on all docks and decks and IMO it is the easiest to care for of all the ones I have had. It looks the best and is not as hot on your feet as some. I do wash it quite often -certainly more than twice a year -because I like things clean but love that it never needs to be sanded or refinished or anything like that.

John Mercier 04-15-2022 05:03 PM

Depending on the line of Azek, the color should go all the way through.
The maintenance for composite/PVC is roughly the same... wash and inspect.

The products should last a lifetime... or in Azek PVC's case several lifetimes.
The inspection is mostly due to issues that might arise with the substructure.

RUGMAN 04-16-2022 09:40 AM

Has anybody used Endeck pac decking?

John Mercier 04-16-2022 12:25 PM

Sorry, I have never heard of that name locally.
Is like Azek or ZURI?

RUGMAN 04-16-2022 01:27 PM

Sorry, PVC. out of Florida

John Mercier 04-16-2022 01:42 PM

AZEK and ZURI are both PVC.
ZURI has a PVC core with a laminated photo-realistic print and then top coated with a hard layer of acrylic to resist scratching.

My guess is that Endeck is possibly like the ZURI.

bobkatfly 04-16-2022 03:27 PM

Back to painting

Our house has a composite board deck from the '90s. Not sure what brand as it was installed by the previous owner. My wife went at it with Behr solid deck stain. She cleaned thoroughly then two coats. Although I hate the color (battleship gray). It has held up since then. Has no roof over it and gets full southern sun. I have been quite surprised.

John Mercier 04-16-2022 05:43 PM

The 90s most probably was Trex Generation 1.
That composite was uncapped, and expected to be stained.
Trex has problems selling it, as it required the same maintenance as PT/Cedar decking but at a premium price.

I've seen it on some older decks, but can no longer get that product.