Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-28-2014, 10:45 AM   #1
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Just saw three skiers behind a boat. I know it's illegal, but I must admit, I enjoyed seeing it. I don't know what harm they were doing and it reminded me of the old days.
Are you sure that is still illegal???
Old 07-28-2014, 12:12 PM   #2
tis

Thanked 1,390 Times in 964 Posts

No I am not sure. I just thought it was only two skiers.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:02 PM   #3
Just Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Are you sure that is still illegal???
http://nhrsa.org/law/270-d-3-motorbo...nd-aquaplanes/

Partial:
270-D:3 Motorboats Towing Water Skiers And Aquaplanes

Last revised 1990
I. No person shall operate a motorboat while towing water skiers, aquaplanes, or similar devices unless another person is present in the motorboat who is physically able to observe and assist the person or appurtenance being towed. The observer shall be 13 years of age or older.
II. The operator of the motorboat shall be responsible for compliance with the navigation requirements under this subdivision for both the vessel and the person or appurtenance being towed. In addition, any person being towed by a motorboat shall comply with all navigation rules.
III. No more than 2 persons may be towed on water skis, aquaplanes, or other devices from the same motorboat at the same time. When 2 persons are being towed, 2 observers, in addition to the operator, shall be in the towing vessel. Such observers shall be 13 years of age or older. Notwithstanding this paragraph, more than 2 skiers may be towed if a special permit is issued by the director.
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Sold For This Useful Post:
tis (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 02:37 PM   #4
jrc

That is way out of date, this was issued in 2012:

270-D:3 Motorboats Towing Water Skiers and Aquaplanes. –
I. No person shall operate a motorboat while towing water skiers, aquaplanes, or similar devices unless another person is present in the motorboat who is physically able to observe and assist the person or appurtenance being towed. The observer shall be 13 years of age or older.
II. The operator of the motorboat shall be responsible for compliance with the navigation requirements under this subdivision for both the vessel and the person or appurtenance being towed. In addition, any person being towed by a motorboat shall comply with all navigation rules.
III. No more than 6 persons may be towed on one or more inflatable tubes and no more than 2 persons may be towed on water skis, aquaplanes, or other devices from the same motorboat at the same time. When 3 or more persons are being towed, 2 observers, in addition to the operator, shall be in the towing vessel. Such observers shall be 13 years of age or older. Notwithstanding this paragraph, more than 2 skiers may be towed if a special permit is issued by the director.
IV. Except in connection with water events and exhibitions authorized by the director, no towing of water skiers, aquaplanes or similar devices shall be conducted during the period between sunset and sunrise.
V. No person shall be towed on water skis or other appurtenances unless the person is wearing a Coast Guard approved type 1, 2, or 3 PFD, except when directly participating or competing in an American Water Ski Association approved event or exhibition, authorized by a special permit issued by the director of state police.
Source. 1990, 171:1. 1994, 200:1, eff. May 24, 1994. 2011, 224:270, eff. July 1, 2011. 2012, 168:1, eff. June 7, 2012
Old 07-28-2014, 03:04 PM   #5
ITD

Thank you, I really wasn't sure considering that you can tow more than 2 on a tube now.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2014, 08:58 AM   #6
hd333

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
That is way out of date, this was issued in 2012:

270-D:3 Motorboats Towing Water Skiers and Aquaplanes. –
III. No more than 6 persons may be towed on one or more inflatable tubes and no more than 2 persons may be towed on water skis, aquaplanes, or other devices from the same motorboat at the same time. When 3 or more persons are being towed, 2 observers, in addition to the operator, shall be in the towing vessel. Such observers shall be 13 years of age or older. Notwithstanding this paragraph, more than 2 skiers may be towed if a special permit is issued by the director.
IV. Except in connection with water events and exhibitions authorized by the director, no towing of water skiers, aquaplanes or similar devices shall be conducted during the period between sunset and sunrise.
V. No person shall be towed on water skis or other appurtenances unless the person is wearing a Coast Guard approved type 1, 2, or 3 PFD, except when directly participating or competing in an American Water Ski Association approved event or exhibition, authorized by a special permit issued by the director of state police.
Source. 1990, 171:1. 1994, 200:1, eff. May 24, 1994. 2011, 224:270, eff. July 1, 2011. 2012, 168:1, eff. June 7, 2012
So for part III, Can you have 2 kids in 1 tube, with 1 observer on a 3 person PWC? Or does 2 in the tube put you over the 3 person limit?

By default I say 1 in the tube, 1 observer. I would love to have a "law" to fallback on when my kids beg me to go together.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:18 PM   #7
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd333 View Post
So for part III, Can you have 2 kids in 1 tube, with 1 observer on a 3 person PWC? Or does 2 in the tube put you over the 3 person limit?
I don't know if it's against law or not to tow 2 people with 2 people aboard a 3-person PWC, but in your example you have exceeded the capacity of the PWC by 1 person if the tube happens to fail and no one else can pick up the 4th person.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:53 PM   #8
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
I don't know if it's against law or not to tow 2 people with 2 people aboard a 3-person PWC, but in your example you have exceeded the capacity of the PWC by 1 person if the tube happens to fail and no one else can pick up the 4th person.
When towing with a pwc you can only have one person in the water. You must have room on the craft for them.
Doesn't matter if another boat is nearby placing chase or acting as a home base.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:04 PM   #9
depasseg

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
When towing with a pwc you can only have one person in the water. You must have room on the craft for them.
Doesn't matter if another boat is nearby placing chase or acting as a home base.
I've always wondered about this. Is there an RSA somewhere that states this?
Old 07-30-2014, 08:30 AM   #10
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by depasseg View Post
I've always wondered about this. Is there an RSA somewhere that states this?

I can't find one. It would seem that there's nothing illegal about being left on a tube (or in a PFD) out in the middle of the lake with no tow boat in sight.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:24 PM   #11
The Real BigGuy

How about just saying "NO!"

Regarding Marine Patrol - I'd suggest that anyone with an issue w/MP take your boat over to Sebago and see what life w/no rules is like. Boats "plowing" along the shore well inside 150' tossing huge wakes; no regard for dropping wakes around marina's or mooring fields, no 150' rule.

I was with a buddy a couple of weekends ago and there are 3 boats heading towards a choke point, all on a plane. No one slowed down. They passed within 20 feet of each other. We were one of them. Now- that is scary!

I for one am glad the MP is around and appears to be doing a little more enforcement. People need to be thinking, "They might stop me", and maybe they will operate in a safer manner.

On the issue of kayaks and canoes in the lake - Did those people who have been carping about how kayaks and canoes have no place in the middle of the lake ever think, "If I slow down, maybe I would have a better chance of seeing them?" Me thinks no. I'm betting the thinking is more along the lines of, "those @*%& (!'s are ruining MY fun. They need to go." The person who said "selfish" was absolutely correct!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-30-2014), pjard (07-30-2014), whalebackpoint'r (07-30-2014)
Old 07-30-2014, 09:46 AM   #12
hd333

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
How about just saying "NO!"
Yeah thanks, I have that part down, I am asking more out of curiosity. I have been saying no for years. With our boat out of the water this summer I wanted to see if I really need to keep saying no. Sounds like I do based on some other actual responses.