Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2023, 12:16 PM   #1
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts
Default PFD Safety: Age vs. Law

My son turns 13 this May, so he will legally be able to skip the PFD on the boat (20' tritoon).

He's a great swimmer, but since he's my first eligible child and our boating experience is limited (since '14), I'd be interested in y'all's thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 03:10 PM   #2
FlyingScot

I think if he's with a decent captain and he's a strong swimmer, he's fine without PFD. But for those times when he's alone and/or in a smaller boat--I recommend dropping the extra coin necessary for the most comfortable full PFD you can find. Goal with the kids is to get them to choose PFD when you're not around
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
ApS (03-04-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 06:19 PM   #3
dickiej

Read Suddenly Overboard by Tom Lochhaas…surprisingly, many strong swimmers have drowned falling overboard without a PFD on and hit their head ( most likely on the gunwhale) knocked themselves unconscious and drowned. Many times in calm, protected waters.
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dickiej For This Useful Post:
Excalibur (03-21-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 08:49 PM   #4
ApS

Wink Is A 20-Foot Boat a Small Boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiej View Post
Read Suddenly Overboard by Tom Lochhaas…surprisingly, many strong swimmers have drowned falling overboard without a PFD on and hit their head ( most likely on the gunwhale) knocked themselves unconscious and drowned. Many times in calm, protected waters.
Just one of the (5?) categories of PFD will keep one's face above the water when unconscious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
I think if he's with a decent captain and he's a strong swimmer, he's fine without PFD. But for those times when he's alone and/or in a smaller boat--I recommend dropping the extra coin necessary for the most comfortable full PFD you can find. Goal with the kids is to get them to choose PFD when you're not around
All "decent captains" are above average. A new captain--?--not so much...

As for "smaller" boats, that dimension seems to be shrinking every summer.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 04:37 AM   #5
fatlazyless

In NH the operator of a jet ski is required to wear a pfd while a paddler on a stand-up paddle board is required to have a pfd on board without wearing it.

Is easy enough to lose balance and slip off a stand-up paddle board and get smacked on the board or on a rock in shallow water or on a dock or something.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2023, 06:03 AM   #6
thinkxingu

Quote:
Yes, he will be required to wear one while doing anything alone, on his kayak or fishing tournaments, etc. and whenever it's legally required (jetski).

In talking to my wife last evening, I think we're going to go with a conditional policy at first—rough waters, high traffic areas, windy docking situations will still require a PFD.

Though there is always a danger to any activity, there's also always a line between caution and risk. As a parent, that line is sometimes hard to define!

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (03-05-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 06:57 AM   #7
Garcia

My kids were super excited when they were old enough to not be be required to wear a PFD. They were used to, and followed, what I had always modeled. Better safe than sorry and be aware of conditions. I never required them to put on a PFD if I wasn’t doing the same.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post:
Susie Cougar (03-05-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 07:21 AM   #8
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
My kids were super excited when they were old enough to not be be required to wear a PFD. They were used to, and followed, what I had always modeled. Better safe than sorry and be aware of conditions. I never required them to put on a PFD if I wasn’t doing the same.
I agree with this logic 100%….

Great job!

Dan
FlyingScot (03-05-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 08:14 AM   #9
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
In NH the operator of a jet ski is required to wear a pfd while a paddler on a stand-up paddle board is required to have a pfd on board without wearing it.

Is easy enough to lose balance and slip off a stand-up paddle board and get smacked on the board or on a rock in shallow water or on a dock or something.
Agreed on the paddle boards, ridiculous that some don't wear them. We have one and all wear a PFD while on it. Like small sailboats, you have no time to put on a PFD before it's too late
Old 03-06-2023, 01:01 PM   #10
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

When my friend turned 70, his kids gave him a type V PFD and asked him to wear it whenever he went out alone. (27' Eastern.) Following that example, I bought a similar type V and wear it in the smaller boats (19' and 24' and on larger boats if I'm handling lines etc. on the bow or side decks) All adults in the small boats wear a PFD of some sort (waist, self inflating, etc), if only to set an example for the grand children and guests where we may not be aware of swimming ability. If you hang around the Glendale docks, you will see many wearing Type V's including MP who are alone in the patrol boats.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 03:21 PM   #11
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
When my friend turned 70, his kids gave him a type V PFD and asked him to wear it whenever he went out alone. (27' Eastern.) Following that example, I bought a similar type V and wear it in the smaller boats (19' and 24' and on larger boats if I'm handling lines etc. on the bow or side decks) All adults in the small boats wear a PFD of some sort (waist, self inflating, etc), if only to set an example for the grand children and guests where we may not be aware of swimming ability. If you hang around the Glendale docks, you will see many wearing Type V's including MP who are alone in the patrol boats.
I would not trust a waist belt, but I've been thinking of self-inflating. Have any of you had one inflate? How did it go?
Old 03-21-2023, 12:18 PM   #12
Excalibur

Location: Gilford,NH is where I would like to be and Southborough, MA is where I have to be
Default Definitely will wear an inflatable one

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiej View Post
Thank you for the recommending this book, I read the book in three nights and could not put it down.

I purchased an inflatable vest and a hand held vhf floatable radio after reading this. I boat on Buzzards Bay and Lake Winnipesaukee.

On Buzzards Bay all size boats pass less than 150' all the time at high speed.

I totally agree with the author, if you fall in the water , even if you do not hit your head and the water is cold, your legs will go numb and it will take a few people to bring you back aboard.

Also water is not our natural environment , even if you are a strong swimmer. All it takes is a little time and a cramp and you could be in trouble.

I think we all have to realize if there is a simple preventive measure to cut the risk down, like wearing an inflatable life preserver, its a no brainer to do it.

I recommend that you buy your son and yourself a nice comfortable inflatable PFD.
Excalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Excalibur For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (03-21-2023)
Old 03-21-2023, 01:08 PM   #13
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
I would not trust a waist belt, but I've been thinking of self-inflating. Have any of you had one inflate? How did it go?
I have several for non swimmers (and me when alone late fall or early spring). Mine have the option of self inflating or lanyard. I will buy some new cartridges and test them this summer. I have never had one accidentally inflate
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (03-21-2023)
Old 03-21-2023, 01:13 PM   #14
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Thank you for the recommending this book, I read the book in three nights and could not put it down.

I purchased an inflatable vest and a hand held vhf floatable radio after reading this. I boat on Buzzards Bay and Lake Winnipesaukee.

On Buzzards Bay all size boats pass less than 150' all the time at high speed.

I totally agree with the author, if you fall in the water , even if you do not hit your head and the water is cold, your legs will go numb and it will take a few people to bring you back aboard.

Also water is not our natural environment , even if you are a strong swimmer. All it takes is a little time and a cramp and you could be in trouble.

I think we all have to realize if there is a simple preventive measure to cut the risk down, like wearing an inflatable life preserver, its a no brainer to do it.

I recommend that you buy your son and yourself a nice comfortable inflatable PFD.
It can get crazy down there! We gave our Winni slip up last year, now we have the 26' Wellcraft down in Hyannisport and trailer in/out.
Old 03-22-2023, 01:38 PM   #15
Excalibur

Location: Gilford,NH is where I would like to be and Southborough, MA is where I have to be

Nice, Buzzards Bay is like a big lake for sure, I know the canal entrance gets pretty busy and in the morning all the big sport fisherman cruisers barrel out of the canal for their favorite fishing spot.

We have a mooring in Wareham with a center console.

I never plan to fall out of the boat, but it can happen for sure, from a rogue wave or just misjudgment.

I did fall off the pier in Marion, I was helping another boat land and reached out to far.. Oops.. Luckily I was mostly embarrassed and no harm done.
Excalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 03:14 PM   #16
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Yes, he will be required to wear one while doing anything alone, on his kayak or fishing tournaments, etc. and whenever it's legally required (jetski).

In talking to my wife last evening, I think we're going to go with a conditional policy at first—rough waters, high traffic areas, windy docking situations will still require a PFD.

Though there is always a danger to any activity, there's also always a line between caution and risk. As a parent, that line is sometimes hard to define!

Thinkxingu - I have followed your posts since you first became a member and although we have never met, feel we are quite similar in many ways when it comes to boating.

Like many other things as a Parent - this decision is strictly between you and your wife. It aligns with curfews set and other such things that as a kid you may hate but have to follow.

For me, I was in a very similar situation (decision point) not so long ago with my two granddaughters --- my decision should have NO bearing on what you decide to do.

You do what YOU feel comfortable with -- you are QUITE familiar with this Lake now & also the area where you commonly boat. You have experienced the Lake at its best (glass) and it's ugliest.
Old 03-22-2023, 03:29 PM   #17
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
It can get crazy down there! We gave our Winni slip up last year, now we have the 26' Wellcraft down in Hyannisport and trailer in/out.
Wow. Do you still boat on the lake?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 03:36 PM   #18
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Wow. Do you still boat on the lake?
I still have a Seadoo Diane! if I find a decent slip down there I will bring the Tiara down and bring the Wellcraft back to the lake. I am not in a big hurry to find said slip at this point! The big boat can stay shrink wrapped for another season
Old 03-22-2023, 03:43 PM   #19
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Thinkxingu - I have followed your posts since you first became a member and although we have never met, feel we are quite similar in many ways when it comes to boating.

Like many other things as a Parent - this decision is strictly between you and your wife. It aligns with curfews set and other such things that as a kid you may hate but have to follow.

For me, I was in a very similar situation (decision point) not so long ago with my two granddaughters --- my decision should have NO bearing on what you decide to do.

You do what YOU feel comfortable with -- you are QUITE familiar with this Lake now & also the area where you commonly boat. You have experienced the Lake at its best (glass) and it's ugliest.
Yeah, I get that, but there is a lot to learn from people who have had the experiences I am about to.

For example, I appreciate the comment above that points out the damage that might happen from a fall as a consideration beyond just the swimming ability.

That reminder will certainly shape how we proceed.

And thanks for the vote of confidence!

Old 03-22-2023, 04:57 PM   #20
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Vita, I would have thought nothing would take you away from Winni. Guess you never know.....
tis is offline   Reply With Quote