Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-16-2009, 08:25 AM   #1
This'nThat

Default Making a good Festival even better

So, a great time was had by all at yesterday's Winter Festival in Alton Bay. Lots of people commented on how much they enjoyed it. But how about next year? Is there any way to make it better? Let's think about that, since the event is so fresh in our minds. One way to think about it is to ask yourself these questions -- and then answer them.
  1. Were there any problems that could be fixed?
  2. Were there any opportunities that we can take advantage of next time?
  3. What was there too little of?
  4. What was there too much of?
  5. What was missing?
  6. How can this be better organized?

For example, I heard that some events had to be scaled back because the ice was too slick. Perhaps some sand next year? Is that possible?

This thread is NOT meant to be a place for gripes. If you want to complain, go somewhere else. This is meant for constructive comments only. Please be curteous -- and remember: if you weren't an active part of the organization, you really have no right to complain. So, limit your thoughts to the six questions I listed above -- unless you come up with much better questions, of course.
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:42 AM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by This'nThat View Post
For example, I heard that some events had to be scaled back because the ice was too slick. Perhaps some sand next year? Is that possible?

I do not think that sand could be put down on the ice...so much of it has a salt content for starters, and the State I'm sure would have an issue with sand on the ice, then eventually with melting being deposited in the water.

As far as being slippery, it certainly was that, and although we had on our winter boots, we could have used our YakTraks, if we had brought them .

Good idea, and then pass the thread on to the ABA, as they were the primary force in the activities this year. Parks and rec stuff can go directly to them via their email.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:02 AM   #3
This'nThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
I do not think that sand could be put down on the ice...so much of it has a salt content for starters, and the State I'm sure would have an issue with sand on the ice, then eventually with melting being deposited in the water.
I wonder how much sand and salt is deposited each year from cars and trucks driving onto the ice? Especially right after a snowfall, when you have chunks of stuff stuck to the wheelwells; then drive directly onto the ice where it falls off?
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:25 AM   #4
bigpatsfan

Can someone work with either the Police Department or the Road Department and have an electronic reader board at the snowmobile races. This board will display the speed of the contestant so that everyone will see the results right away.
bigpatsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:52 PM   #5
Phantom

Excellant idea/suggestion !!

I for one would have loved that!!
Old 02-16-2009, 01:37 PM   #6
SIKSUKR

I have never been and almost made it there Sunday. Here's a question, Are there any concession type stands that are set up on the ice to give it that carnival feel? If not then I might suggest something in that direction.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:16 PM   #7
Whimsey

We had a great time at the Festival yesterday. No complaints...well it was really slick which made walking an adventure...but considering it was slush two days before, we were pretty lucky all in all. Enjoyed the DJ and music. Niece and nephew enjoyed the food (I didn't partake). Some suggestions:

1. Consider having the PA announcer introduce the teams and call the bed race happenings (like a horse race). All the teams went through a lot of effort and would probably enjoy the acknowledgment. Plus it would add excitement to the atmosphere.

2. Improving the signage could help define events and locations, and perhaps boost raffle sales.

3. Enjoyed seeing people and their pets. Maybe encourage this with a contest for the most unique pet/owner outfit or stupid pet tricks. Did you see the dog that was half St. Bernard and half Great Dane? All he needed was a saddle! If not see below.

Can't wait for next year.
Attached Images

Whimsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:28 PM   #8
Whimsey

Default Big Thanks

Oh, I forgot...

BIG THANKS

...to the volunteers and organizers. Great job!
Whimsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:19 PM   #9
hazelnut

Thumbs up

I am so glad I went. I was very impressed with the turnout. Having the music/DJ was awesome. My kids loved it. Great job to the organizers.

So a couple suggestion, and forgive me if I missed this. There should be a big whiteboard or something with all of the events/activities listed and the locations and times. I was unaware that the drag strip thing even existed until I was leaving.
Maybe snowmobile rides would be a hit. I have one so I wouldn't go but I can imagine there are several people that do not have sleds that would enjoy a ride on a two up touring sled.
Maybe a local band would do a set?

All in all a great day and again a big thanks to the efforts of the organizers. You did a great job and I am glad the weather cooperated.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:32 PM   #10
vmartino26

Default Congratulations

Congratulations to all the volunteers and those who made the festival such a wonderful event. It was our first time at the winter festival, and with four of us and two kids, it made for an unforgettable experience. Never have seen plans land on ice. My eight year old grandson was kind of amazed at the whole experience. He of course has seen the lake many times, but it sure was a different perspective when you're walking on it! It was slippery for sure, so if something can be done to alleviate that situation even on a limited basis that would help. All in all an exciting day. Congratulations again!
vmartino26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:45 PM   #11
Mee-n-Mac

Arrow Perhaps next year

We made it, though belatedly, to this years Carnival. Meet up with "GH" though she hadn't seen our post nor Waterbaby's about not being a Shibleys. Sorry 'bout that "GH". Anyway we roamed about (good thing we brought the YakTrax), eventually said hi to riverat. I got some pictures of this years bedraces, seem like we have our work cut out for us next year. Not sure if the all pics will remain "up" in the recent pics part of Photopost but they will be permanently in the Alton 2009 Bedrace Album in my section of Photopost. Next year it'll be time for a helicopter ride. Quite a turnout, why even the Networks were covering it !
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2009, 08:14 PM   #12
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmartino26 View Post
Congratulations to all the volunteers and those who made the festival such a wonderful event. It was our first time at the winter festival, and with four of us and two kids, it made for an unforgettable experience. Never have seen plans land on ice. My eight year old grandson was kind of amazed at the whole experience. He of course has seen the lake many times, but it sure was a different perspective when you're walking on it! It was slippery for sure, so if something can be done to alleviate that situation even on a limited basis that would help. All in all an exciting day. Congratulations again!

vmartino26, we had an unusual Feb thaw and some rain to boot this year and then it froze which made it pretty slick out on the Lake. Everyone can prepare for these rare conditions by picking up some ice walkers.
Link; http://www.besafeplus.net/yaktrax-walker-pro.htm

Happy you had Fun,
Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:27 PM   #13
searay220

Stopped in at the bay on Sunday with family and friends and had a wonderful time. I only ended up on my rear once due to the icy conditions.Riverat was in the spirit all day.
Attached Images

searay220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:22 PM   #14
Seeker

Wish I'd been there. Looks like everyone had a good time. There's always something that can be improved upon, but that's life.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:57 PM   #15
RI Swamp Yankee

For the slippery ice conditions would something like the grooming machine at this link work to scratch up the ice a bit and still be ok for the planes to land?

http://www.snowgroomers.net/htm/snowmobile.htm
Old 02-18-2009, 11:31 AM   #16
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts
Question

.....so......who won the bed race???

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:45 AM   #17
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
.....so......who won the bed race???
mcdude, per Mee-n-Mac's pictures say it was ABCCC. I'm not really sure who was second. I believe they were called coconuts and grass skirts or something like that (I know it was some kind of nuts). I could be talking way outta turn. Please forgive me if that is the case. Oh, Pops Clam Shell was in there somewhere.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:50 PM   #18
Mee-n-Mac

Arrow ABCCC gets bragging rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
mcdude, per Mee-n-Mac's pictures say it was ABCCC. I'm not really sure who was second. I believe they were called coconuts and grass skirts or something like that (I know it was some kind of nuts). I could be talking way outta turn. Please forgive me if that is the case. Oh, Pops Clam Shell was in there somewhere.
I didn't catch any name on the bed that had people wearing coconuts and grass skirts but The Citizen reports they were the School Street Sleepers. The ABCCC crew looked to have a few young ringers if you ask me but just barely beat out the aforementioned bed.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:48 PM   #19
ghfromaltonbay

Default A place to sit would help

Although the ice was a bit slippery, the old Yaktrax worked great. Only problem, when I got back to my room I discovered I had lost the right one of the pair. Retraced my steps later in the day, but no use. Did anyone find a size small Yaktrak?

One suggestion would be benches or some type of sheltered area with seating. I noticed people with small children looking for a place to sit. Several propped the kids on the bandstand, but it was a bit crowded. If you arrive at 1 pm and want to stay thru the bed race it's a long time to stand around with little tykes or seniors for that matter.

I'm sorry the Forum get-together fell apart. I waited at Shibley's for about 1/2 hour since I didn't travel with my laptop. No problem, caught up with Mee-n-Mac on the ice later. Had an early dinner at 4pm instead at Johnson's. MMMM---the fantail shrimp dinner was great!
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote