Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2022, 03:37 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Default Cold Water Awareness Week, April 11 - 15

Hey there ........ ahoy! ...... guess what? ..... as you know, Lake Winnipesaukee ice-out just happened on April 8 at 5:20-pm ...... and this week, April 11 to 15, 2022 is Cold Water Safety Awareness Week ....

https://www.weather.gov/box/coldwatersafety ...... click on each day; Mon-Tue-Wed-Thu-Fri .... today is Tuesday! ...

So ....... think I will grab my stand-up paddleboard ..... go hit the water in Meredith Bay ...... and start hula-hooping on the paddleboard just to show off, out front the town docks, hula-hooping while balancing out there on a sup ...... out there ...... on the icy cold water .... 40-degrees cold according to water temperature page ....... ha-ha-ha ! ......

On a very tragic note, a 31-year old expert fly fisherman from Woodstock NH just disappeared into the icy cold Connecticut River last week on Wednesday, April 6 at about 2-pm ..... https://twitter.com/NH_StatePolice/s...435971/photo/1 ....... https://catchflyfish.com/fly-design-...than-zukowski/ ...... so, it's no joke especially when it happens to you ....... or even much worse ...... to me?
LIforrelaxin (04-12-2022), SailinAway (04-12-2022), watermaker (04-12-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 09:14 AM   #2
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

A PSA, delivered only the way FLL can deliver it....
Old 04-12-2022, 01:11 PM   #3
SailinAway

Thanks for this reminder. I was hiking at Squam Lake yesterday and stepped in the water to cool off my feet as it was a warm day. Within 30 seconds I was feeling extreme pain. I do kayak in this beautiful weather but hug the shore.
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 03:08 AM   #4
fatlazyless

Icy cold water is different with what happens. Is very possible to slowly wade into 40-degree water wearing just a swim suit and water shoes to install a dock or boat lift.

If you fall out of a boat or something into deep icy water that's over your head it a shocking experience and you have a serious problem if you don't have the flotation of a pfd. I think the sudden shock of the intense cold is a big problem.

Best advice; wear a pfd and keep your mouth shut. When you suddenly get immersed ..... it's like .....omg ...... get me outta this icy cold water asp pdq ..... it becomes intense ...... and causes you to panic.

There are no You-tube videos of actual drownings that really show what happens? .....

Like ..... in this video ..... www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyuRRWC5GY8 ...... with Janna from Sweden, she is actually standing on the bottom of the frozen lake, and not in water over her head ...... go Janna!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 04-13-2022 at 03:39 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 06:54 AM   #5
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Icy cold water is different with what happens. Is very possible to slowly wade into 40-degree water wearing just a swim suit and water shoes to install a dock or boat lift.

If you fall out of a boat or something into deep icy water that's over your head it a shocking experience and you have a serious problem if you don't have the flotation of a pfd. I think the sudden shock of the intense cold is a big problem.

Best advice; wear a pfd and keep your mouth shut. When you suddenly get immersed ..... it's like .....omg ...... get me outta this icy cold water asp pdq ..... it becomes intense ...... and causes you to panic.

There are no You-tube videos of actual drownings that really show what happens? .....

Like ..... in this video ..... www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyuRRWC5GY8 ...... with Janna from Sweden, she is actually standing on the bottom of the frozen lake, and not in water over her head ...... go Janna!
I totally agree with that. The shock is terrible. I slipped off the back of the boat when we were bringing it home just after ice out and it wasn't even over my head but I was paralyzed. Of course I had on a heavy jacket and boots and the weight didn't help to allow me to move.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2022, 09:24 AM   #6
SailinAway

A problem with falling from a boat or kayak at this time of year, even while wearing a PFD, is that you quickly lose the manual dexterity you need to get out of the water. Self-rescue with a kayak would be very difficult---you need to be able to manipulate your paddle, deck bungies, paddle float, and pump. If you're not wearing a drysuit, you should stay within a few feet of shore and not expect to climb back in your kayak (except maybe by heel-hook reentry, which most people don't know how to do).

Within the last 10 years there have been several days on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's when it was warm enough to kayak. Amazing how many kayakers weren't wearing a PFD on those days and didn't have one with them.
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 04:13 AM   #7
fatlazyless

....oopsie-doopsie ..... her name is Jonna ..... not Janna ..... so, go Jonna! and skol back to you, baby-doll .... Jonna! .... for demonstrating what is possible to be doing in icy cold water ..... and she is standing on the bottom of the frozen lake as opposed to water over her head which makes a very big difference

WCAX-3 Vermont ..... Friday, April 8 2022 ...... Jon Zukowski, age 31, Woodstock NH .....
http://www.wcax.com/2022/04/08/man-m...oup-identified

It's been over a week since he disappeared into that icy cold river on Wednesday, April 6 at 2-pm and there's no report yet on the dive team finding his dead body?

This time year the river may have strong current, unmelted ice along its' embankments, and be very challenging to divers trying to make a recovery search in a moving, icy cold Connecticut River?

In the NH Fish & Game tv-series 'North Woods Law' the word 'closure' is used when their dive team locates someone's drowned dead body in a NH river, but in real life there is no 'closure' and that's just a feel good tv type of a word. The only way you actually get any closure is when you attach a door closer to the frame and top of a door, and it closes the door ..... that's closure.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 04-17-2022 at 06:09 AM.
Old 04-18-2022, 03:50 AM   #8
fatlazyless

Default ...... foam noodle belt?

The Hannaford supermarket in Meredith now has foam noodles located in their front vestibule, they are excellent strong foam quality in four colors and a low price, $2.50.

Chances are pretty fair that WHY this 31-year old fly fisherman, Jon Zukowski, was NOT wearing a pfd at the time was because it gets in his way for arm movement while casting a fly rod. Or, maybe he was taking a leak in the river side-woods when he noticed the kayak was drifting away, or something?

So, as I have mentioned before, what works incredibly good as a pfd substitute or a swimmer's belt is a 32" length of foam noodle tied around your waist, tightly, with a line threaded down thru the center hole.

Last June I used one on many days to go swimming for 150-yards in 63-68 degree water along with a tight fit, Stohlquist wet suit tee-shirt to keep my chest warm and it works fantastic as a swim belt in that cold water. In 35-degree water it will most likely keep you from going under, drowning and disappearing down a cold flowing Connecticut River when you don't want to wear a pfd.

And by the way, there is no news on his dead body being found by the dive team in the river, yet, and he maybe has a 52-year old mother in North Woodstock, NH.

Accident description ....... April 6, 2022 .... https://www.americanwhitewater.org/c...identid/115899

Last edited by fatlazyless; 04-18-2022 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-21-2022, 07:33 AM   #9
FlyingScot

Another pair of drownings. Apparently not wearing life vests, unusual for kayakers, even on mild days. Very sad

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/04/...rmont-mourned/
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:02 AM   #10
fatlazyless

Is there any way to read about the two Massachusetts - Tesla, 20-something guys who drowned canoeing in north east Vermont, Lake Seymour without a paid subscription to the Boston Globe?

https://www.wcvb.com/article/massach...rmont/39767038

On a 31-yr old Jon Zukowski go-fund-me .... missing April 6-Connecticut River, NH or VT ..... https://gofund.me/8575eade ..... it says $44,815 has been raised w/404-donations w/ a $5000-goal as of today, April 21.

Could be some paddlers, boaters, fishermen and others are not impressed with wearing a $2.50 foam noodle belt because noodles are usually made in bright yucky colors? They need to make a 2.5" foam noodle in northern waters camouflage tri-color w/khaki-black-dark green and charge $19.88/noodle to get water-goers to wear it!

Have seen nothing on locating his drowned dead body, yet, somewhere in the Connecticut River? Who knows ...... maybe some other fisherman will snag his dead body ..... and reel it in, thinking it's THE big one!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 04-21-2022 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-21-2022, 09:07 AM   #11
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Is there any way to read about the Mass guy who drowned kayaking in a Vermont lake without a paid subscription to the Boston Globe?
Family mourns kayaker from Mass. who drowned in Vermont lake
By Emily Sweeney and Danny McDonald Globe Staff,Updated April 20, 2022, 4:39 p.m.

Aidan Connolly, 27, of Roslindale died while kayaking in Vermont.
Aidan Connolly, 27, of Roslindale died while kayaking in Vermont.
One of two Massachusetts men who drowned Tuesday after their kayak overturned in a lake in Vermont was remembered by his family as “the greatest son you could imagine” who was “all about happiness.”

Aidan Connolly, 27, of Roslindale, was kayaking with Nicholas Samuels, 29, of Weston, on Seymour Lake Tuesday morning when treacherous weather caused the water to become choppy, with significant ice and slush. A witness saw Connolly and Samuels trying to swim to shore, but they went under the water and did not resurface, according to Vermont State Police.

Connolly worked at Tesla since graduating from the University of Massachusetts Amherst, where he was a pitcher on the club baseball team, according to his father, Robert Connolly.

He lived in Roslindale Square in a condominium he bought two years ago and before that lived with his family in Brookline and West Roxbury. While he was a student at Brookline High School, he played baseball and ran cross-country, Connolly said.

Get Metro Headlines
The 10 top local news stories from metro Boston and around New England delivered daily.
Enter Email
example@email.com
Connolly said Aidan was one of three children. He had two older sisters, Marjorie and Nora. His mother is Nancy Kelleher.

“The most accurate thing for me to say about Aidan is that he was the greatest son you could imagine,” Connolly said in an e-mail to the Globe. “When I think of Aidan, I think of his wonderful smile and of the joy that was at the core of his being — and the joy he brought to others. He was all about happiness and being in the moment. Remembering his smile and his eager happiness brings us comfort at this terrible time.”

Members of the Samuels family could not be reached for comment by the Globe. In a statement to WCVB-TV, the family said Nicholas Samuels was a graduate of Wayland High School and the University of Colorado at Boulder.

“Nicholas’s time on Earth was tragically cut short. He was a vibrant 29 year-old intellectual and outdoorsman who loved life and lived it to its fullest,” the statement said, which is posted to the WCVB website.

Seymour Lake is in Morgan, a town with a population of 638 in the northeast corner of Vermont.

Authorities said the pair had set out in a single kayak from a protected cove where the conditions on the open lake were not apparent. The weather got worse while they were on the water, with increasing rain and strong winds, police said.

Morgan resident David Bullock, who has lived on Seymour Lake for 15 years, said Tuesday’s weather was like a hurricane.

“We’ve never seen the wind blow more extreme than it did yesterday,” Bullock said. “It looked like the ocean out there, with whitecaps.”

Bullock said the spot where Connolly and Samuels entered the water was calm. But once they got out on the lake, they would have been fighting fierce winds to get back, he said.

“It’s very sad,” he said. “Everyone here is so upset about it.”

Emily Sweeney can be reached at emily.sweeney@globe.com. Follow her on Twitter @emilysweeney and on Instagram @emilysweeney22. Danny McDonald can be reached at daniel.mcdonald@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @Danny__McDonald.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote