Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2022, 08:35 AM   #1
Bizer

Default Recent Garmin update.

Recent Garmin update. Have you purchased a Garmin GPS within the past two years?

In 2006, Bizer developed a boating chart of Winnipesaukee that ran in Garmin GPS units. This worked well on Garmin GPS devices manufactured between 2004 and 2014. In 2015 Garmin started blocking non-Garmin maps in their GPS.

Last year, Bizer purchased a Garmin Montana 700i for use in taking more precise measurements of buoys and rocks. Bizer’s map file was loaded into the 700i. It worked, just as it did on pre-2015 GPS. Last week, Bizer purchased a Garmin GPSMAP 66sr in order to take advantage of newer, multi-band technology. Again, Bizer’s Winnipesaukee map was loaded and again it worked. Both of these GPS units were first manufactured in 2020. Now, Bizer is wondering if Garmin no longer blocks non-Garmin maps on their GPS devices.

If you have purchased a Garmin GPS within the past two years and would like to test Bizer’s map of Winnipesaukee in your new GPS, please email us at garmin@bizer.com. Please include your Garmin GPS model. Bizer is looking to test 6-8 different Garmin units. If the test works on your GPS, you may keep the Bizer data at no charge. Bizer is looking for Garmin GPS that were first introduced in 2019 or later. If you are unsure when your Garmin was introduced, look at the copyright date of your user manual. Bizer is looking for diversity. If multiple users have the same device model, Bizer will only select one. Your Garmin may be either dash-mounted or hand-held. The data is stored on a micro-SD card (about the size of a fingernail) or an SD card (about the size of a postage stamp). This paragraph will be deleted when enough GPS have been selected.

Other notes:
>>> Garmin Drive models are designed for automobile use. The Drive-52 model that I purchased does display islands and shoals, but displays neither buoys nor boating routes.
>>> Bizer found the Montana 700i had an accuracy of 11 feet or better 98% of the time. It has a good-size (5”) screen.
>>> Bizer found the GPSMAP 66sr had an accuracy of 6 ½ feet, or better, 98% of the time.

Last edited by Bizer; 02-22-2022 at 10:22 AM.
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bizer For This Useful Post:
Senter Cove Guy (02-22-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 07:47 AM   #2
Bizer

An update to the update.

After posting the above update, I received emails from five boaters who wished to test Bizer’s data on their Garmin GPS units. All the testers had dash-mounted GPS units that Garmin designed for marine use. Unfortunately, none of them were able to utilize the Bizer data.

About a month later, I discovered that Garmin did allow custom maps on some of their GPS units. It was coincidental that Bizer had purchased two of these GPS devices within the past year. For a complete list of Garmin GPS that allow custom maps, do an INTERNET search for GARMIN DEVICES COMPATIBLE WITH CUSTOM MAPS. Most of these units are hand-held. With an optional mounting bracket, they could sit on your dashboard. The screen sizes range from 2.6” (66mm) to 6.95” (177mm). In this case, I think size does matter. Unfortunately, the larger the screen, the higher the price. Below are screen shots from Bizer’s Garmin Montana 700i (5” 127mm screen) and Garmin GPSMAP 66sr (3”, 76mm screen). Visit Bizer.com for more information.

And as a side-note, Stongate Software (stonegatesoft.com) has written an iPhone/iPad app using the Bizer chart of Winnipesaukee.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bizer; 06-13-2022 at 07:49 PM.
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bizer For This Useful Post:
Gilmanton Greenie (06-18-2022)