Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2011, 01:50 PM   #1
prp77

Default Question for Shore Things - using gabions for retaining walls?

Does that state allow the use of gabions for retaining walls along the shoreline?

http://www.terraaqua.com/shore-beach.asp

My waterfront is quite steep going into the water. So if I was allowed to construct a retaining wall it would need to be about 3-4 feet high.

Because of the steepness of the shoreline using just rip-rap would probably not be very effective.

I was thinking that rip-rap enclosed with gabions might be a decent solution. As the rip rap would be more likely to absorb waves vs a concrete/concrete and rock wall.

Although not the most asthetically pleasing solution when stacked up multiple layers in my application the gabions would only need to be a foot or so above the high water mark. If coupled with vegitation on the top of the gabions it should blend in with the landscape well.

Thanks in advance.
prp77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:30 AM   #2
Onshore

Where there is an erosion or slope stability issue that is sufficient enough to warrant the use of armoring, and slope or space issues make wall construction the best option, gabions are an acceptable construction type.
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:26 AM   #3
Rattlesnake Guy

PRP77
Great first post. I have been trying to find that system for years. Now I can stop trying to see manufacture tags on the highway.

Not for the Lake.

Thank you.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:25 AM   #4
prp77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
PRP77
Great first post. I have been trying to find that system for years. Now I can stop trying to see manufacture tags on the highway.

Not for the Lake.

Thank you.
Thanks...I agree a huge wall of these things does not look great. But a concrete wall, rock and concrete, or formed retaining wall block does nothing to absorb waves. This might be a decent solution.
prp77 is offline   Reply With Quote