Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-15-2022, 10:42 AM   #1
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Ice out contest

Hi Webmaster. Firstly, thanks for opening up the ice out contest once again. I understand that it can be added work for you and that you have indicated that there is an apparent declining of interest in the contest, which got me to thinking "I wonder why? ".

Then I had a thought (can be dangerous).

I used to use Tapatalk aka winniforum app on my phone and tablet, both Android, which I liked except for one thing, major app deficiency for me, which is whatever is put in the subject area in a response could not be seen. I understand that it is a third party, and you have no control over it. So I use the full site on my tablet now.

As I read so many responses now, it seems that many users are using the app on their device(s). Now it has been a few years since I used the app, but I wonder if a "sticky" was done about the contest, it might draw more interest. I just don't know if "sticky" notes work on the app.

Once you opened the contest up, when I signed into the site , there was the old familiar note at the top of the page, "Ice out contest", prompting me to search old dates, review new guesses, and put mine in. Would having a "sticky" do a similar thing for those on Tapatalk?

Just the musings of a longtime poster and even older guy.

Thanks for all you do.

Dave
Senter Cove Guy (02-16-2022), trfour (02-16-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 11:32 AM   #2
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

Hi Dave, the issue of mobile use has been on my mind for several years. More than half the visits to the site are now mobile and I expect that to grow.

As you've seen, Tapatalk is not a perfect mobile solution but it may be the best one available for the time being. Upgrading and migrating the forum to a new version with integrated mobile support would be great but would cause so many other issues that it may not be worth it. For now I'm happy to have Tapatalk manage the mobile access.

I don't think I have the ability to have stickies displayed in Tapatalk, at least that I know of. I have to admit that I don't use Tapatalk to read the forum so I may not know all the features.

Thanks for being a longtime poster. I'm an old guy too, now retired. I've been running winnipesaukee.com since 1995.

Don
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
Senter Cove Guy (02-22-2022), smith point boater (02-22-2022), trfour (02-21-2022), upthesaukee (02-21-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 11:44 AM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Thanks for responding

Thanks Don. Even though I knew that you had no control over Tapatalk, I thought the idea was great, but it didn't take long to see it's limitations. I started clicking on "full site" and was doing it enough that I finally went back to the full site and deleted Tapatalk.

Thanks for all you do, I hope I live long enough to help you celebrate 30 yrs in 2025.

Warm Regards

Dave
webmaster (02-21-2022)