Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2021, 05:42 PM   #1
SailinAway

Default Humble thanks

I want to express my thanks to the many people here who helped me with a cascade of problems that began in June with a leaking roof and an incorrect evaluation by a roofer in a hurry. As of today I have a new roof. I've had vents installed the length of the roof and the air throughout my house has improved 100%. The humidity is under control. I fixed the mold in the window (It turned out to not be double paned after all, but merely a storm window screwed to the back of a regular window.) In short, my house is livable again. I'm sure I overstayed my welcome here, but the help I received really made a difference.
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SailinAway For This Useful Post:
Descant (09-06-2021), mswlogo (10-29-2021), XCR-700 (09-05-2021)
Old 09-04-2021, 06:45 PM   #2
FlyingScot

Another case cracked! Amazing how one thing, such as poor ventilation, can make any other fix impossible. It was a fun thread
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 07:44 AM   #3
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
I want to express my thanks to the many people here who helped me with a cascade of problems that began in June with a leaking roof and an incorrect evaluation by a roofer in a hurry. As of today I have a new roof. I've had vents installed the length of the roof and the air throughout my house has improved 100%. The humidity is under control. I fixed the mold in the window (It turned out to not be double paned after all, but merely a storm window screwed to the back of a regular window.) In short, my house is livable again. I'm sure I overstayed my welcome here, but the help I received really made a difference.
Glad you're back on track. This summer has been an unusual one with all the rain and humidity causing lots of issues. Has anyone else noticed an abundance of mushrooms? There's a fungus among us!
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 11:32 AM   #4
DickR

Quote:
...I'm sure I overstayed my welcome here, but the help I received really made a difference.
Never hesitate to ask for thoughts on such matters. So many of us here love having some way to contribute to solving problems. It lets us feel still useful now and then! It's also far more satisfying than reading the endless bickering over political issues!
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DickR For This Useful Post:
SailinAway (09-05-2021), trfour (09-05-2021), tummyman (09-05-2021)
Old 09-05-2021, 12:23 PM   #5
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Another case cracked! Amazing how one thing, such as poor ventilation, can make any other fix impossible. It was a fun thread
HAHA! Yes, another case cracked. I was amazed at how many issues grew out of the roof problem. Who knew a tarp on the roof would lead to extremely high humidity in the upstairs, and that mold would then grow between the window panes and in the air conditioner, making the upstairs uninhabitable? Who knew a bat would take up residence under the tarp and then somehow find his way into the house? (Had to call the police at night for that one. Stock response from the dispatcher: "We do not deal with bats. Google 'pest control.'" My reply was persuasive and two officers came and trapped the intruder.)

I learned that old houses may have no membrane or felt under the shingles. If you have only one layer of shingles and the shingles are blown off in wind storms, you're in trouble. Hence the necessity of finding out how many layers of shingles are up there to judge the urgency of the situation. That's where my story went terribly wrong, when the first roofer I hired said there were two to three layers and it turned out to be one with no underlayment. I was very lucky that the decking was in good shape throughout and there were no extra costs beyond the roofer's quote. Even the lead chimney flashing was good.

I learned about contractors too. I got three quotes. There was a 30% difference between each one, which is substantial. I went with the guy in the middle for reasons of character and his willingness to negotiate the materials. I learned that some roofers want you to buy specific materials from their supplier, where they probably have financial incentives, not because those products are better for your needs. I naively assumed that the contractor was going to be doing the work. Nope. He was only onsite briefly, leaving the work to a motley crew. In the end they saved me $400 for a new lawnmower by telling me I only needed a new blade, which turned out to be true.

By the way, after a lot of research and thought, I went against advice here about putting shingles and "cheap" synthetic felt on a low-slope porch roof. I'll report back in 6 or 12 months on how it holds up. For the moment it "looks" great.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2021, 12:30 PM   #6
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickR View Post
Never hesitate to ask for thoughts on such matters. So many of us here love having some way to contribute to solving problems. It lets us feel still useful now and then! It's also far more satisfying than reading the endless bickering over political issues!
Dick R, you're right about this and this is a lesson for all of us. My politics are well known here by now. But my experience with asking for help here, and also my experience with the roofing crew, shows that we share things that transcend our political differences. I hope we will be able to get back to those commonalities in the future. I originally came to this forum in 2020 looking for local connections and information during the enforced isolation at the height of the pandemic.
Old 09-05-2021, 02:27 PM   #7
John Mercier

The synthetic isn't ''cheap''; it just breathes better than 15# felt.
In theory, it would keep the porch roof drier, and extend the roof decking.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 02:50 PM   #8
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
The synthetic isn't ''cheap''; it just breathes better than 15# felt.
In theory, it would keep the porch roof drier, and extend the roof decking.
Sorry, I meant to say "cheapER" than Grace Ice and Water Shield. I went with GAF Felt Buster, the one no one here liked. Just couldn't afford Grace and decided to cut corners on the porch roof. I put the Felt Buster on the whole roof (plus GAF StormGuard Leak Barrier on the edges).
Old 09-05-2021, 06:08 PM   #9
John Mercier

Since you probably had some left over from the main roof, it was a cost savings.
GAF won't warranty it, but that is not always the main concern.

I've done several things on my cottage that I knew would not be warrantied and may have a shorter life than the warranty, but had the material lying around and did it anyways.
Old 09-05-2021, 06:36 PM   #10
XCR-700

Quote:
Sorry, I meant to say "cheapER" than Grace Ice and Water Shield. I went with GAF Felt Buster, the one no one here liked. Just couldn't afford Grace and decided to cut corners on the porch roof. I put the Felt Buster on the whole roof (plus GAF StormGuard Leak Barrier on the edges).
We all have to make compromises, so long as you know what you are getting and not leaving the decision to some cut rate contractor you can usually find a way to back out a few dollars of cost, yet end up with something reasonable that you can live with. Sounds like you found that balance for your situation.

Happy you got it done and before winter, you will sleep better knowing this is resolved, and the same with the mower!

ATB and keep coming back, its pretty clear the people here enjoy interacting with you. Hope we see more of you.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
SailinAway (09-05-2021)
Old 09-05-2021, 07:33 PM   #11
John Mercier

Quite a few owners around here are either purchasing their own materials, or are pretty involved with what is being used.

Best case, the owner, contractor, and contractor's assigned salesperson meet to go over the specifics; but unfortunately that is rare.
Old 10-29-2021, 09:51 AM   #12
fogpixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Glad you're back on track. This summer has been an unusual one with all the rain and humidity causing lots of issues. Has anyone else noticed an abundance of mushrooms? There's a fungus among us!
DEFINITELY! It's a mushroom explosion!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
fogpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 05:55 PM   #13
mswlogo

Good thing it's all fixed before this past storm and yet another one this weekend.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 10:27 AM   #14
LoveLakeLife

Sailing, no one on here overstays their welcome. Everyone is very helpful and full of information. It’s great to hear that you got the help and advice you did!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
LoveLakeLife is offline   Reply With Quote