Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2021, 06:49 PM   #1
Mink Islander

Default Ice activity around Cattle Landing

Anyone been cutting holes around Cattle Landing? Curious whether anyone has been on the ice from Sheps to Cattle Landing really. Thinking about coming up this weekend to check things out, but would like a little local recon before I make the trip! Expecting there’s approaching 7-8 inches now. But the area off Dolly Island is always the wild card.

Also, is the access at Shep’s doable this year? Last year their ice eaters were a problem and I ended up getting on at the Gilford Public Beach.

Thanks all.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 07:31 PM   #2
fatlazyless

There was an area of about 25-acres of open water as of two days ago, about half way between Dolly and Governor's Islands. Don't know if it froze with the cold on Sunday and Monday?

There's a large semi circle, approximately 50-yards radius, of open water surrounding the Cattle Landing town dock due to the town dpw ice eaters.

Have no idea on thickness of the ice? Have not seen any fishermen or anyone out on the ice around here, lately?
Old 02-02-2021, 08:47 PM   #3
Mink Islander

Default Thanks

That’s what I feared FLL. That’s is always a tricky area. Appreciate the recon!
Old 02-02-2021, 11:30 PM   #4
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I'd give it another week - it's supposed to get nice and cold again this weekend.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:37 AM   #5
Mink Islander

Default Yep

A few winters ago on a Thursday (another one of those slow starting winters), I got on the lake on a snowmo at Sheps. Tested the ice and had 7 inches of black ice. Kept going towards Cattle Landing. Near the Cattle Landing docks I checked the ice again, and still had a good 7 inches. I kept going — but I know to be very wary where the expansion crack usually forms at the pinch point between Meredith Neck and Bear/Dolly and that area tends to be late to lock up. Looking out beyond Cattle Landing, the ice had a different look to it. So I stopped just shy of Dolly Island to cut another hole. To my surprise, I had maybe 3 inches under me!!! Now that will hold up a person, but add a 500 pound sled and gear?? Needless to say, I backed up and retraced my steps. Skipped the Derby that year.

Two days later on that Saturday, three people went through the ice on sleds and drowned.... You can never be too careful....

Agree the weather gods seem to be in our favor and next week should be good. I’m going have a friend check out access at Sheps too. I got on at the Gilford public beach last year which is actually really easy, just further from my house.

Stay safe everyone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mink Islander For This Useful Post:
Cobalt 25 (02-09-2021)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2021, 08:48 AM   #6
fatlazyless

From my experience with chopping ice with an ice chopper, it seems like ice is stronger at 10-degrees than at 25-degrees. With prolonged cold temps it gets tougher to chop and sort of has an elastic, bounce-back quality as it floats on the lake water when you smack it with an ice chopper and a 2-lb mason's hammer.

So, below 20-degrees for a stretch of time, the ice seems to get very strong? As the temps hover at 25-30, the ice gets easier to break with the chopper and big hammer.

It's not like 32-degrees is the on-off temp for liquid water/strong ice as the ice becomes stronger as the temps go colder and prolonged cold makes it hold together better and be more resistant to the chopper. Once the temps warm above 30 in late March, a large 12" thick piece of lake ice that's threatening a stored sailboat at the waters edge can be split with a chopper and a big hammer. The ice sort of looses its strength from within and that wouldn't work in January or February.

Here's my FLL-Theory on Ice: the strength of lake ice fluctuates from weak to strong to weak with the weekly average temperature, until spring gets here and the whole sheet of ice just totally discombobulates! The colder it gets, the stronger it gets, down to zero degrees, or something!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-03-2021 at 11:10 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:39 PM   #7
fatlazyless

Ok, so the area between Dolly, Bear, and Mark going over to Governor's has closed up what was about 25-acres of open water as of Sunday except it is not looking very safe because it has a number of gray, slushy looking large veins that go all over this area.

Whole lot of similar gray slushy veins surrounding Horse Island, too.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:16 PM   #8
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink Islander View Post
A few winters ago on a Thursday (another one of those slow starting winters), I got on the lake on a snowmo at Sheps. Tested the ice and had 7 inches of black ice. Kept going towards Cattle Landing. Near the Cattle Landing docks I checked the ice again, and still had a good 7 inches. I kept going — but I know to be very wary where the expansion crack usually forms at the pinch point between Meredith Neck and Bear/Dolly and that area tends to be late to lock up. Looking out beyond Cattle Landing, the ice had a different look to it. So I stopped just shy of Dolly Island to cut another hole. To my surprise, I had maybe 3 inches under me!!! Now that will hold up a person, but add a 500 pound sled and gear?? Needless to say, I backed up and retraced my steps. Skipped the Derby that year.

Two days later on that Saturday, three people went through the ice on sleds and drowned.... You can never be too careful....

Agree the weather gods seem to be in our favor and next week should be good. I’m going have a friend check out access at Sheps too. I got on at the Gilford public beach last year which is actually really easy, just further from my house.

Stay safe everyone.
I have first hand info that there is about 7-8" of good solid black ice out in front of Sheps. Beyond that no idea. One thing to be concerned with is that ice can be very deceptive as to it's thickness as you experienced. The little bit of snow that fell this week shows water bleed through which is a sure sign that it's still very sketchy out there. Definitely be careful out there.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:31 AM   #9
codeman671

Island Services was out by sled next door to us on Bear this morning, near Dollar.
codeman671 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 10:37 AM   #10
Mink Islander

Default Access at Sheps?

Curious whether there is good access at Shep’s this year.

7-8 inches is right in line with where I estimated it would be using the degree days calculation. Should add another ~4 inches by next Thursday when i plan to come up for the Derby.

Thanks for the recon!
Old 02-04-2021, 10:41 AM   #11
Mink Islander

Default Thanks!

I’ve been watching my camera to see if any sleds came around past Camp Lawrence heading south. Not so far. There’s a small group that has pulled a Bobhouse out between Jolly and Bear the past couple of years. Going to be interesting to see if they head out this weekend. They come across from Gilford.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:59 AM   #12
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink Islander View Post
I’ve been watching my camera to see if any sleds came around past Camp Lawrence heading south. Not so far. There’s a small group that has pulled a Bobhouse out between Jolly and Bear the past couple of years. Going to be interesting to see if they head out this weekend. They come across from Gilford.
Island Services leaves from Sheps. From what I can see on my cameras they came in from the north and left to the south so they headed back your way.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:40 AM   #13
fatlazyless

Ok, so today is the last day of February 2021 ..... Feb 28 ..... and tomorrow is March 1.

Looking at the NH-DES water temperatures taken at Weirs Beach it certainly looks like the lowest water temp for this season was on February 25 at 7-am when it briefly got down to 33.4-degrees.

With this March 1 warm-up predicted, it sure looks like that was the low water temp for this winter.

So's ........ all together now ...... everybody say out loud ...... it's MARCH 1st ....... and h-e-l-l-o the 2021 spring season ..... which is no too much surprise considering its March 1 ....... melt-melt-melt! .....

Last edited by fatlazyless; 03-01-2021 at 03:41 AM.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:45 AM   #14
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Ok, so today is the last day of February 2021 ..... Feb 28 ..... and tomorrow is March 1.

Looking at the NH-DES water temperatures taken at Weirs Beach it certainly looks like the lowest water temp for this season was on February 25 at 7-am when it briefly got down to 33.4-degrees.

With this March 1 warm-up predicted it sure looks like that was the low water temp for this winter.
Agree. A bit mushy and cracks are starting to appear here on my side of Winnisquam. Looking forward to a early ice out. Need to address a few dock repair items before the season starts

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:04 AM   #15
Mink Islander

Default End of season...

Given that we had another late ice-in this season, and with the current warm-up, I’m off the ice for the season. I’m sure there are some who will still venture out — like the regulars who ice fish off the Indian head rock at Camp Lawrence who are out there again today on an ATV — but the risks are increasing and conditions deteriorate quickly and the ice loses strength with warm weather. To me, Cattle Landing has always been a winter version of the Witches. You really need to know what you’re doing if you’re passing through that area - especially on the edges of the winter season. I’ve had to jump across two foot gaps in the ice plates there in March on foot.... I’ve portaged over Dolly Island to avoid walking through there altogether when things looked sketchy. Let’s be careful out there....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mink Islander For This Useful Post:
BoatHouse (02-28-2021), WinnisquamZ (02-28-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 10:26 PM   #16
MAXUM

Yeah I have to say I agree. I took what was probably my last trip out to Bear Island on Saturday to deliver a full tank of propane. There are a lot of areas where there are huge slush fields under the snow and that sort of thing makes me wary.

Ice is only going to continue to deteriorate as the temps are forecast to be warm enough to start really melting and eroding what ice is out there. Just not worth pushing it. Happy I got a few weekends in this winter. Better than none.
Old 03-16-2021, 08:46 AM   #17
fatlazyless

Default ..... is that peanut butter?

My two bird feeders have been attracting gray and red squirrels that make a strong attempt to out smart these squirrel resistant feeders. So I dug out an old have-a-heart trap, loaded it with peanut butter, set it up underneath the two feeders on the ground with a heavy cement block atop it to prevent a trapped gray squirrel from rolling the trap over, or something.

Lo & behold, the first victim was a small red squirrel that must have froze to death overnight, or something. It was definitely dead.

Tossed it out onto the lake ice for the crows or eagles, and it slid across the very solid ice, ending up positioned with its legs sicking straight up what with rigor mortis. A red squirrel is a mammal so assume it goes rigor mortis just like a human?

Anyway, the next day the dead squirrel is totally 'not there' and all that's left is a blur mark on the solid ice ..... it's last resting spot ..... before being scavanged by a crow, eagle or some unknown hungry local? ......

Not that it makes any difference, but the blur mark is very close to the same icy spot where I crashed through the ice there, recently, while holding a box of Cheez-its under one arm. .....

These feeders are reserved for chickadees and the like ........ so, sorry squirrels ........ just beat it! ...... or you will end up a snack for a pair of always hungry crows! .....
Old 03-16-2021, 11:11 AM   #18
WinnisquamZ

Okay. A daisy Red Ryder from 20 yards or less should also help you solve this issue. A headshot will be required

WinnisquamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:01 PM   #19
pondguy

Careful you will shoot your eye out !
pondguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 05:07 PM   #20
lakeadoodle

Default Squirrel Proof Feeders

Quote:
My two bird feeders have been attracting gray and red squirrels that make a strong attempt to out smart these squirrel resistant feeders. So I dug out an old have-a-heart trap, loaded it with peanut butter, set it up underneath the two feeders on the ground with a heavy cement block atop it to prevent a trapped gray squirrel from rolling the trap over, or something.

Lo & behold, the first victim was a small red squirrel that must have froze to death overnight, or something. It was definitely dead.

Tossed it out onto the lake ice for the crows or eagles, and it slid across the very solid ice, ending up positioned with its legs sicking straight up what with rigor mortis. A red squirrel is a mammal so assume it goes rigor mortis just like a human?

Anyway, the next day the dead squirrel is totally 'not there' and all that's left is a blur mark on the solid ice ..... it's last resting spot ..... before being scavanged by a crow, eagle or some unknown hungry local? ......

Not that it makes any difference, but the blur mark is very close to the same icy spot where I crashed through the ice there, recently, while holding a box of Cheez-its under one arm. .....

These feeders are reserved for chickadees and the like ........ so, sorry squirrels ........ just beat it! ...... or you will end up a snack for a pair of always hungry crows! .....
Are they squirrel proof feeders in squirrel proof locations? Or, do you enjoy treating wildlife disrespectfully too. No water fowl ENJOY cheesits; in fact, he can harm them.
lakeadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 05:31 AM   #21
fatlazyless

You know the same pair of Canada geese have returned to Horse Island every year since 2012. They build a large nest on the ground in the very middle of Horse island in the same spot each year, basically on what's left from the prior year.

They totally like to eat the Cheez-it originals and have desire and capacity to eat a lot of Cheez-it originals at one time before they will stop eating them. They take their time and occasionally drink the lake water. The female sits on the nest, and the male guards her from a distance of about 30-yards away, and occasionally will become very vocal and aggressively intercept other incoming pairs of Canada geese that come to the Horse Island area.

Sometimes a mallard will get in on the Cheez-it party, and usually gets driven off by the goose. Sometimes the goose is too busy eating and doesn't bother about the mallard.

They show up in the third week of March when the lake is still iced in but with a few small areas of open water close to shore, or the island.

....... Polly ...... want a cracker??? ....... ditto this for crows, too, crows usually travel in pairs and will definitely eat all the Cheez-it originals, especially when purchased in the giant party box ....... so ....... bring home a box of Cheez-it originals ...... today!

Sunday night was a very cold and windy afternoon and night so the dead red squirrel must have froze to death inside the steel mesh, have-a-heart trap. One may think a red squirrel is equipped with its fir to survive the bitter 5-degree cold and wind, but they probably depend on their squirrel nest for dry insulation during a deep freeze as opposed to a steel mesh cage/trap.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 03-17-2021 at 06:27 AM.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:11 AM   #22
LoveLakeLife

haha “treating wildlife disrespectfully”. Otherwise known as “killing a nuisance animal” in normal, non-euphemized vernacular.

LoveLakeLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 04:17 PM   #23
lakeadoodle

Default PETA's comments

Quote:
You know the same pair of Canada geese have returned to Horse Island every year since 2012. They build a large nest on the ground in the very middle of Horse island in the same spot each year, basically on what's left from the prior year.

They totally like to eat the Cheez-it originals and have desire and capacity to eat a lot of Cheez-it originals at one time before they will stop eating them. They take their time and occasionally drink the lake water. The female sits on the nest, and the male guards her from a distance of about 30-yards away, and occasionally will become very vocal and aggressively intercept other incoming pairs of Canada geese that come to the Horse Island area.

Sometimes a mallard will get in on the Cheez-it party, and usually gets driven off by the goose. Sometimes the goose is too busy eating and doesn't bother about the mallard.

They show up in the third week of March when the lake is still iced in but with a few small areas of open water close to shore, or the island.

....... Polly ...... want a cracker??? ....... ditto this for crows, too, crows usually travel in pairs and will definitely eat all the Cheez-it originals, especially when purchased in the giant party box ....... so ....... bring home a box of Cheez-it originals ...... today!

Sunday night was a very cold and windy afternoon and night so the dead red squirrel must have froze to death inside the steel mesh, have-a-heart trap. One may think a red squirrel is equipped with its fir to survive the bitter 5-degree cold and wind, but they probably depend on their squirrel nest for dry insulation during a deep freeze as opposed to a steel mesh cage/trap.
Public education is an important starting point. For example, thousands of people with only the kindest of intentions endanger the health of waterfowl by feeding them. This seemingly benign activity can lead to avian botulism, crowding, and competition, and it also encourages migratory waterfowl to stay in areas that they would otherwise vacate because of limited food sources. People who love to feed ducks and geese might reconsider doing so if they knew that their actions had the potential to kill large numbers of birds.
lakeadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 05:02 PM   #24
ACME on the Broads

Default Different Perspective

Quote:

Better yet, let the geese fend for themselves....the geese are destroying the lake and the grounds surrounding it; don't agree, take a walk at Hesky Park Meredith, oh, and be sure to bring along some paper towels!
ACME on the Broads is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ACME on the Broads For This Useful Post:
DotRat (03-17-2021), lakeadoodle (03-17-2021), tis (03-17-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 06:16 PM   #25
Eyeboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACME on the Broads View Post
Better yet, let the geese fend for themselves....the geese are destroying the lake and the grounds surrounding it; don't agree, take a walk at Hesky Park Meredith, oh, and be sure to bring along some paper towels!
I love the sign in the park that says "Please encourage the Geese to move along"
Eyeboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 06:20 PM   #26
FlyingScot

Quote:
Absolutely. And even when we cant see droppings everywhere, geese and other waterfowl are a major source of phosphorous, nitrogen and other stuff that's bad for our water quality
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 06:57 PM   #27
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
FLL and geese are kindred spirits.
We try to shoo them away but they keep coming back and crapping all over the place.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:00 PM   #28
covelife

Default But, wait

Quote:

How do you control the vermin who reside in and around the structure you claim is your home -- the dwelling your own posts describe as "a waterfront cottage with the killer-diller location and view; an oldie moldy cottage with no foundation .. ", "an unsanitary shack .." and where "your ancient septic system has done, froze up .."?
covelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 08:48 AM   #29
MAXUM

Quote:
If there was serious interest in discouraging them from taking up residence, quit making the area so attractive to them. I don't have an ideas what may be a reasonable alternative but having those nice grassy areas right down to the water's edge is certainly not helping. Maybe the town should consider planting a natural hedge and buffer along the water's edge just like every other shore front owner is. No doubt the geese congregating in large numbers in a small area is not good for them, the public or the lake.
Old 03-18-2021, 09:52 AM   #30
Mink Islander

Default Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
If there was serious interest in discouraging them from taking up residence, quit making the area so attractive to them. I don't have an ideas what may be a reasonable alternative but having those nice grassy areas right down to the water's edge is certainly not helping. Maybe the town should consider planting a natural hedge and buffer along the water's edge just like every other shore front owner is. No doubt the geese congregating in large numbers in a small area is not good for them, the public or the lake.
Meredith provides the perfect habitat for geese to graze and gather....

I know some golf courses use border collies, who will have a blast chasing geese off the property....
Old 03-18-2021, 11:27 AM   #31
garysanfran

I think Hesky Park has a sign encouraging the harassment of geese. However, I think they also have two decoys floating nearby.
garysanfran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:10 PM   #32
codeman671

How did this thread get so off topic? Let's get an ice-out thread going!

Then again I do have a woodpecker wreaking havoc at our place...He needs to disappear.
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
uschisk (03-22-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 06:01 PM   #33
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
How did this thread get so off topic? Let's get an ice-out thread going!

Then again I do have a woodpecker wreaking havoc at our place...He needs to disappear.
It's a natural progression...ice out/ goose poop. Makes sense to me! Need to borrow a few cats?? They climb trees with the best of 'em... you pay for the air lift and I'll loan the cats to you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 03-21-2021, 09:09 AM   #34
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by covelife View Post
How do you control the vermin who reside in and around the structure you claim is your home -- the dwelling your own posts describe as "a waterfront cottage with the killer-diller location and view; an oldie moldy cottage with no foundation .. ", "an unsanitary shack .." and where "your ancient septic system has done, froze up .."?
It's probably been a long time, like maybe ten years, since I wrote these words that you quote. It goes way back to some time ..... am not sure of the date ..... but it would be interesting to see when I say these words.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:24 AM   #35
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

So it must be worse now.
Quote:
It's probably been a long time, like maybe ten years, since I wrote these words that you quote. It goes way back to some time ..... am not sure of the date ..... but it would be interesting to see when I say these words.
Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote