Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-21-2012, 01:19 AM   #1
jt3kids

Default July 4th week

Morning. Headed up June 30th for a week for the first time. staying on Governors Island. have the family, 5 kids and a small bowrider. We have done alot of research online about outdoor activities but I was wondering if anyone here had some good information about things to do, or not to do. I heard about a sandbar in Alton that I think the kids would think was cool. How long do you think it would take to get to Alton, or Meredith from the bridge on Governors Island? Does anyone have any experience with the July 4th activities? Is it worth trying to take my 17' boat on the water for the fireworks or can you see them from the bridge? Any ideas or comments are very welcome. thanks, - Jim
jt3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:24 AM   #2
riverat

Hi Jim, Welcome to the forum. There are lots of activities around the lake during the 4th celebrations, such as fireworks at the Weirs, Alton, Wolfeboro, Funspot and many others. As far as venturing out in a boat to see them, it is a beautiful sight but should be left to people who know the lake well and are able to navigate in the dark, there are many hazards that are not visible during the night or daytime hours. Pick up a Weirs Times newspaper or visit their online version here, http://www.weirs.com/
And enjoy this beautiful Lake and you and your family will be back year after year.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:51 AM   #3
KarmaGirl

Hi Jim, and welcome!
The sandbar at West Alton will be mobbed if the weather is good. Get there early! (PS: from Gov's it's a pretty straight shot. Look for Sleepers Island on your chart.
KarmaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
HellRaZoR004

Default Thanks for starting a post

Not to hijack the thread...somewhat related. Where do you think the best fireworks from the boat are if one was to venture out?
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
Altonbayicefishingfool

Clark's trading Post in Lincoln is a good spot for the kids, clean and pretty inexpensive.
West Alton sandbar is probably 15 minutes south from gov. Island, as noted in a previous post get there early!
Altonbayicefishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #6
AC2717

I would say Meredith is best and somewhat safest from the GI area by boat

Welcome Jim, or Forum greeter will be here shortly to properly Welcome you!

There are so many things to do that week, we take that week every year for one of our vacation weeks
this year I am cheating and going up on the 28th and staying until the 8th

Weirstimes is the best to find out what is going on around the area IMHO.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #7
RLW

Smile

tbjt3kids, I just noticed that you are fairly new to the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends. I see that you are already getting some good advice to your request.
Thanks AC2717 for bringing the new comer to my attention.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #8
DickR

JT, for the kids, there is a road race event in Center Harbor on the morning of the 4th. There is a 2 mile, 5 mile (for older kids and adults), and short kids races by age group on the park lawn between the fire station and rte 25, right opposite the end of the bay. Registration is I think 8 am onward, with little kids races at 9, and the 2 & 5 milers at 10am. Fireworks in CH also at night, at dusk, perhaps 9:15 or so. CH is probably the same distance from GI as is Meredith, although navigation for a newcomer isn't as straight a shot.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
codeman671

Being in a 17' boat you may want to be selective about when and where you go. It won't do well on a rough day in the broads. Going to Alton could be a rough, wet ride.

We usually do the Alton or Wolfeboro fireworks. There are usually some good private shows to be seen as well. You will probably be able to see the Weirs ones from the house.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #10
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

No matter where you go that week, pretty much expect to deal with crowds. Probably the busiest week on the lake. Just plan to stake you claim on any sand bar early as space will fill up quickly.

As already mentioned the lake is bound to be choppy from either wind or traffic, so be prepared to take it slow in a smaller boat. All good though, no matter where you go there are tons of fun activities to do. If you aren't familiar with the lake I would not suggest attempting any night time navigation!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:56 AM   #11
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
No matter where you go that week, pretty much expect to deal with crowds. Probably the busiest week on the lake. Just plan to stake you claim on any sand bar early as space will fill up quickly.

As already mentioned the lake is bound to be choppy from either wind or traffic, so be prepared to take it slow in a smaller boat. All good though, no matter where you go there are tons of fun activities to do. If you aren't familiar with the lake I would not suggest attempting any night time navigation!
I can attest that that! My first voyage at night was a couple weeks back...turns out there was no moonlight and everything looked different. GPS helped a lot.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #12
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Navigating at night, is something that someone has to practice, if you are not familiar with the lake I never recommend it...

AS for boat size don't let people here scare you away from using a 17' as long as you aren't new to boating, you won't have any trouble... You just will not be able to go 50 all day long... I have been on the lake for 20 years, and never owned a boat bigger then 18.5 feet.

Fireworks by boat, Center Harbor is the way to go in my mind... If you don't head into the harbor and just hang back you get an awesome show, and are able to get back home with out much of a crowd around you.....
Old 06-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #13
MikeF-NH

also when going from Governors ANYWHERE towards the Broads, make sure you are aware of what the Witches are and where they are. You shouldn't have to encounter them but the big open area on your way back and forth after passing north east of Welches Island is big and open but somewhere in that large area is the worst boating experience of your lives. I never go to Governors so i'm not sure if this comes into play for that route from Welches but when heading to the Weirs area from the Welches area, you want to make sure you know what it is and where it is.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #14
HellRaZoR004

Pick up a Bizer map in town and look it over.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #15
jt3kids

Default 4th weekend

thanks for all the info. I'm not planning on going out at night. I've heard the horror stories from even the most seasoned lake Vets... Just some tubing and skiing with the kids. I'll try not to make any Yahoo mistakes, although I'm sure I will..
jt3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:09 AM   #16
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altonbayicefishingfool View Post
Clark's trading Post in Lincoln is a good spot for the kids, clean and pretty inexpensive.
West Alton sandbar is probably 15 minutes south from gov. Island, as noted in a previous post get there early!
I second driving further up north on a nice day if you decide to venture off the lake. Whales Tale water park is a fun day too but will be a few bucks with all the kids. Last time I was there (a few years now) they did allow coolers and things in so that helps. If you go call and ask if they still do.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #17
JPRoyer

there is also a small sandbar in Paugus Bay next to the Margate Resort. It has a bathroom, docks, restaurant and tiki bar....

You are very close to the Weirs Beach Fireworks, So I'd recommend those for you if you go at night......
JPRoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:16 PM   #18
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPRoyer View Post
there is also a small sandbar in Paugus Bay next to the Margate Resort. It has a bathroom, docks, restaurant and tiki bar....

You are very close to the Weirs Beach Fireworks, So I'd recommend those for you if you go at night......
Wow that must be some sandbar! Bathrooms, docks, restaurant, and a tiki bar? Sorry, JP, couldn't resist the temptation.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote