Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2022, 08:16 AM   #1
Garcia

Talking Tipping at gas docks

I rarely tip at the gas dock, nor do I tip when I get gas for my car (usually self-serve, but I do sometimes go in and pay cash rather than credit at the pump). When I go to a store that uses Square I always decline to give a tip when it pops up on the screen. That said, I always tip, and tip well, at restaurants and the few occasions where I think it is expected or earned.

I tend to boat to get back and forth, to get to a destination, or to do water sports. I don't go to sandbars and don't spend the day on the boat. I see the boat as transportation rather than recreation

So my question about tipping at the gas dock is are those people like me who use the boat as transportation rather than recreation tipping, and are the tippers the recreational boaters?

Or, am I just cheap and need to get with the times?
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post:
steve-on-mark (06-01-2022)
Old 06-01-2022, 08:35 AM   #2
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
I rarely tip at the gas dock, nor do I tip when I get gas for my car (usually self-serve, but I do sometimes go in and pay cash rather than credit at the pump). When I go to a store that uses Square I always decline to give a tip when it pops up on the screen. That said, I always tip, and tip well, at restaurants and the few occasions where I think it is expected or earned.

I tend to boat to get back and forth, to get to a destination, or to do water sports. I don't go to sandbars and don't spend the day on the boat. I see the boat as transportation rather than recreation

So my question about tipping at the gas dock is are those people like me who use the boat as transportation rather than recreation tipping, and are the tippers the recreational boaters?

My boat is the same... strictly transportation back and forth to the island, and I always tip a few bucks if I'm gassing up at a marina. On one occasion, I realized I had no cash, and I told the kid I'd get him the next time . I went back a few days later and handed him 2 bucks and said " I'll bet when I left the other day you were talking **** about me! " He laughed and said Noooooo!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2022, 09:00 AM   #3
Shreddy

I generally tip $5-10 every time I fill. It's usually a younger kid out pumping gas in the heat. I'm on a boat putting several hundred dollars in at a time. The extra $5-10 isn't going to hurt me and there was nothing better as a kid than getting a tip. My first job was bagging groceries making $7.35/hr and working about 15-20 hours a week with my sports schedule. Every so often a customer would give me a $1 or even a few bucks if I brought the groceries to their car.
Old 06-01-2022, 09:20 AM   #4
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

I don't think it makes any difference to the people working at the gas dock whether you are on a recreational trip, heading to the sandbar, or commuting in your boat. Your destination or purpose is not their concern. The service they provide is the same.

I always tip, in cash, when getting gas. Many of the young people working there are trying to earn extra money while in school. On a hot day, it is a long day putting gas in peoples boats while you work. I get it.

I keep $5's and $1's in the boat glove compartment just to be sure I have tip money. There is even about $20 in small bills in the jet ski storage compartment just for tipping when getting gas.

Even in restaurants I tip in cash. I know people put tips on a credit card but then the credit card company takes their fee and the waitstaff could get less. They also have to wait for their money but a cash tip is instantaneous.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
stevenhk (06-02-2022)
Old 06-01-2022, 09:23 AM   #5
burgerunh

When I fill up on the water I always give the gas dock attendant about $5. They help you dock and they actually pump the fuel. That's worth a tip in my book. It costs me $100 + to fill up. What's another 5 bucks.
burgerunh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burgerunh For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (06-03-2022), stevenhk (06-02-2022)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2022, 09:38 AM   #6
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Yes.

Nobody cares why you're in the boat.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
MRD (06-01-2022)
Old 06-01-2022, 11:25 AM   #7
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Yes to tipping

When I had my boat, I patronized the same Marina about 90% of the time to get my gas. We normally gassed up at around half full (wife's idea), so it wasn't like we're pumping hundreds of gallons of gas at a time. However the kids at the dock were always there to help with the docking, pump the gas, and help getting away from the dock. Because we were regular customers, they came to know our names and always greeted us. Like others have said, I don't mind spending between $5 and $10 in tips per fill up. It helps them out and it didn't hurt me a bit.

Dave
Old 06-01-2022, 11:39 AM   #8
Garcia

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the responses. I get the bulk of my gas from Shep's or Y-Landing. I rarely see islanders like myself tip. The people I see tipping look like they have been out on the water all day, or plan to be.

In my many years of working in retail, including pumping gas, tips were extremely rare and never expected. When I worked in a restaurant, however, they were. Likewise, when I worked construction and landscaping, I did not expect nor receive tips. This was back in the 80s and early 90s and I have carried the same approach to tipping forward.
Old 06-01-2022, 11:44 AM   #9
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post

Nobody cares why you're in the boat.
Sorry if my point wasn't clear. I am curious if there is a different attitude toward tipping if one is out relaxing on the boat for the day vs. using the boat to get back and forth.

Similar to the different attitude some people have when on vacation vs. being at home.
Old 06-01-2022, 11:53 AM   #10
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I get the bulk of my gas from Shep's or Y-Landing. I rarely see islanders like myself tip. The people I see tipping look like they have been out on the water all day, or plan to be.
I think you are missing the point.

In your first post you made a point of why you were in your boat and whether it was for transportation or recreation. In this post you separated islanders who rarely tip from people who look like they have been on the water all day. Neither makes a difference.

The people serving you by pumping your gas don't really care about why you are boating, where you came from, or what your plans are. They appreciate a tip and the majority of people will tip them.

Most boaters will get gas less than 10 times per year. A $5 tip each time is insignificant compared to the cost of owning a boat.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 12:21 PM   #11
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I think you are missing the point.

In your first post you made a point of why you were in your boat and whether it was for transportation or recreation. In this post you separated islanders who rarely tip from people who look like they have been on the water all day. Neither makes a difference.

The people serving you by pumping your gas don't really care about why you are boating, where you came from, or what your plans are. They appreciate a tip and the majority of people will tip them.

Most boaters will get gas less than 10 times per year. A $5 tip each time is insignificant compared to the cost of owning a boat.
Sorry for the confusion. The islanders I was referring to fall into the boat as transportation category.

I can't remember a time I have seen people that I know are island residents and using the boat to get back and forth give a tip so appreciate Steve-on-Mark's response showing it is the norm for some.
Old 06-01-2022, 12:27 PM   #12
brk-lnt

The gas dock attendant does not know, or care, how or why you use your boat. If I am getting a fill up at a gas dock I usually tip ($20, FWIW).

However, I do not tip the driver when I have the fuel truck come to the house (this in FL, BTW). In that scenario, I see it more as a utility service and I am paying for the convenience of home delivery, which is baked into the price and his salary. Also, I am not always at home when he arrives, same for other customers, so I do not think he expects a tip in these cases. I do give a Christmas bonus when he comes in December though.
Old 06-01-2022, 12:37 PM   #13
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
The gas dock attendant does not know, or care, how or why you use your boat. If I am getting a fill up at a gas dock I usually tip ($20, FWIW).

However, I do not tip the driver when I have the fuel truck come to the house (this in FL, BTW). In that scenario, I see it more as a utility service and I am paying for the convenience of home delivery, which is baked into the price and his salary. Also, I am not always at home when he arrives, same for other customers, so I do not think he expects a tip in these cases. I do give a Christmas bonus when he comes in December though.
In my opinion, a $20 tip each time you fill up your boat sounds like an attempt to impress people (FWIW, of course). Go ahead and castigate me…..I can take it!
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 12:42 PM   #14
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
In my opinion, a $20 tip each time you fill up your boat sounds like an attempt to impress people (FWIW, of course). Go ahead and castigate me…..I can take it!
Too each his own. I usually tip 10-20 depending if I am empty or closer to 1/2. I always engage the attendants in conversation and most are hard working college students or high school grads starting out in life. I don’t mind giving them a little help starting their life journeys.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 12:48 PM   #15
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post

Thanks. When I mention the use of the boat, recreation vs. transportation, I did so to see if there is a difference in the operator's attitude toward tipping.

Your point about the fuel truck coming to the house is a good one - upon reflection, and right or wrong (and many will say wrong) - I see the people pumping gas as providing a necessary service, just like the clerk checking me out at the hardware store. I think it's because of the way I view the use of my boat, similar to the way I use my car, a vessel to get me to my destination (the island) rather than the destination itself.

Again, I appreciate the different viewpoints.
Old 06-01-2022, 01:40 PM   #16
Descant

Talking to the girl at Y Landing, she said she had been trying to get the job for three years. I'd have to guess it was for the tips, compared to being a clerk in the store. She was a student at Plymouth State University.

In my youth, I used to fill in for the gas guy when he went to lunch or took a break. None of us got tips as a routine matter. Gas docks more frequently now have female attendants. Does that lead to different tipping?
Old 06-01-2022, 01:54 PM   #17
brk-lnt

Quote:
Keep in mind this is for our cruiser in FL, so when at a gas dock we usually have at least 1 dock hand helping out with tying up, then we take on about 175 gallons on average, and since the house delivery service does not do pump-outs, we'll usually do that a gas dock as well. So it's typically a 30 minute affair, involving 2 or 3 folks at the dock. A $20 seems fair and I'm pretty sure is far from the largest tip they receive.

On Winnipesaukee I would usually tip $10 or so at the gas docks to the summer help kids.

FWIW, I don't think the average gas dock attendant is really impressed by just about any tip. I would imagine over the course of an average season they see everything from bitchy cheapskates to overly generous tippers, a $10 or $20 tip is really just being appreciative.

If I wanted to impress them I would do a magic trick or perform a hand stand.
Jeanzb1 (06-03-2022)
Old 06-01-2022, 05:36 PM   #18
dickiej

Money is like manure…it only works if you spread it around.
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 05:55 PM   #19
Bear Islander

Quote:

I am an island resident using Sheps and Y-Landing and I tip $5 every time.

It surprises me some people don't tip!
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bear Islander For This Useful Post:
Descant (06-01-2022), Garcia (06-01-2022), upthesaukee (06-02-2022)
Old 06-01-2022, 06:35 PM   #20
fatlazyless

So, what's the today price for diesel at Y-Landing? .... anyone know? ...... pray for The Dive to afford its' twin diesels and very inefficient jet drives as opposed to propellers .... ..... and don't forget that 5% diesel tip for the dock fill-up, service ... ha-ha-ha ... ho-ho-ho ... ha-ha-ha!
Old 06-01-2022, 07:07 PM   #21
Sue Doe-Nym

I have just had an education on dock tipping! It never occurred to me to tip for merely filling up with gas…..nothing else. We are never too old to learn something new. 😟
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 07:28 PM   #22
fatlazyless

Quote:
I have just had an education on dock tipping! It never occurred to me to tip for merely filling up with gas…..nothing else. We are never too old to learn something new. ��
I agree ...... totally ....... what's next? ...... tipping the Marine Patrol officer for receiving a violation ticket for 10% of the NH-penalty? ......

It sort of works like that in Russia, you understand, but only when you don't offer a tip.
Jeanzb1 (06-03-2022)
Old 06-01-2022, 07:36 PM   #23
Descant

As noted elsewhere, appreciation can also be hot baked cookies, pizza, etc. as well as cash especially if you're a regular.
Old 06-02-2022, 05:32 AM   #24
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

This may ruffle some feathers, but I think tipping enables businesses to underpay their employees. I lamented Elvio's having an automatic tipping prompt on their card machine a few years ago—what should I tip for, getting handed a pizza? What's next, I make it for them?!

During the pandemic, I selectively increased tipping in relation to the business. For example, the pizza and sub shops near me were doing just fine, but the sit-in places were hemorrhaging, so we'd hit them up more and tip well.

For boat gas, it totally depends on the time, difficulty, and interaction. Easy job just topping off? Nothing unless the kid's engaging or overly polite. Full tank, both skis, choppy day where the kid works to prevent damage? $5-10.

Ultimately, I see a minimum expectation in every service and tipping requires something beyond the minimum.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (06-03-2022)
Old 06-02-2022, 09:37 AM   #25
codeman671

If I have cash on me I always try to tip at least $5-10 at the gas docks.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 09:46 AM   #26
fatlazyless

So, if you fill up your six gallon portable gas tank at the self-service gas station in town, you can tip yourself, and stay away from $6-gal boat gas.

What's the difference between six gallons for 4.49/gal at Golden Pond gas, and six gallons for 5.99/gal at Shep Brown's plus tip ....... about 15-20-dollars .... the price for a best quality $20 car wash, wax, and CERAMIC coating at Dead River Mobil in Ashland.
Old 06-02-2022, 10:42 AM   #27
Phantom

I'll add to the consensus -

We have a slip at MVYC and I have a phobia of not having at least a 1/2 tank of gas in the boat when we return therefore (given our usage) we are at the gas dock quite frequently.

As is the case with many others above, we keep a small stash of $5's on the boat which is used each time we fuel up. 99% of the gas dock attendants are college kids! Their salary is mediocre at best, so paying it forward with a $5 bill each time we fuel seems trivial to me........ but is received with thanks & gratitude.
Jeanzb1 (06-03-2022)
Old 06-02-2022, 03:18 PM   #28
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Their salary is mediocre at best
Anyone know what (roughly) the pay is to pump gas at a marina? Here in MA min. wage is $14.25, almost double NH.
Old 06-02-2022, 07:42 PM   #29
dickiej

Here’s an outrageous fuel story….I know it’s true because I know the owner of the gas station…guy pulls into gas station towing 26’ Grady White….puts credit card into pump, gets approval and gives 17 year old kid $20 bucks. Says, “ fill this…should take around 300 gallons. I’m going next door for breakfast sandwich.” Kid puts fill hose into fish pole holder, pumps over 100 gallons into bilge. Boat owner comes back , sees what’s going on and almost killed the kid.
Old 06-02-2022, 08:30 PM   #30
tbonies

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiej View Post
Here’s an outrageous fuel story….I know it’s true because I know the owner of the gas station…guy pulls into gas station towing 26’ Grady White….puts credit card into pump, gets approval and gives 17 year old kid $20 bucks. Says, “ fill this…should take around 300 gallons. I’m going next door for breakfast sandwich.” Kid puts fill hose into fish pole holder, pumps over 100 gallons into bilge. Boat owner comes back , sees what’s going on and almost killed the kid.
Great story. Reminded me of my niece. She ran out of windshield wiper fluid so she opened the oil cap and put in a gallon of antifreeze.

In terms of the topic at hand, generous people usually give liberally without thinking much about it. Others hold on to every dollar a lot tighter. It's not just with the kid pumping gas, it is an attitude that permeates all aspects of life..
tbonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 09:06 PM   #31
dickiej

Like I said…money is like manure…it only works if you spread it around. I do as much shopping locally as I can…I pay more, but I help mom and pop local businesses….I always tip $2.00 when someone pumps my fuel at the gas station. Their faces light up when I say, “ Here…get yourself a cup of coffee.” I never saw a casket with saddle bags….you can’t take it with you…I’ve been blessed beyond belief in my life and I like to spread it around, even it it’s not much.
The Following User Says Thank You to dickiej For This Useful Post:
tbonies (06-02-2022)
Old 06-06-2022, 10:47 AM   #32
Cobaltdeadhead

50 gallon tank in our boat

If it's a half fill, $5. $10 for a full
Cobaltdeadhead is offline   Reply With Quote