Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
Misakame

Default Fresh Eggs

Anyone know where I can find some natural fresh eggs in the Wolfeboro area?
Misakame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
kbh

I believe Mustard Seed Farm has several varieties of fresh eggs:

Mustard Seed Farm
288 Haines Hill Road
Wolfeboro
(603) 569-4529
kbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
Misakame

Thank you for your reply. I will give them a call.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
patman

For retail, Fiddlehead Farms near the Alton circle maybe?

There are a few local mom and pop places around, some are not much more than a cooler by the road with a sign on it. There's usually one on Trotting Track Road in w'boro, and another on 109A in T'boro, sort of across the street from the red sugar shack. (Hint: look for chickens) The Cheney farm may also sell eggs, I don't remember. They're on 109A near the tboro/wboro line.

You could also try asking at Evergrain or Cafe Ole in Wolfeboro, they do a lot of organic and local stuff. Both are on North Main St near Lydia's Meeting House.
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to patman For This Useful Post:
Misakame (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #5
Misakame

I tried the Mustard Seed Farm and they no longer have chickens, so no more fresh eggs. I really appreciate all your help. I will look into the Fiddlehead market too. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #6
beaner

Default Fresh eggs in Wboro

Check with The folks at Butternuts Good Dishes on Railroad Ave. If they don't have them, there's a good chance they know who does.
beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
Ridgefarmer63

Default Eggs in New Durham

I have eggs. Brown, blue and green. If you are interested, send me a PM and I will give you details.
Ridgefarmer63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
CateP

Default The Big Egg Hunt

Having been on the hunt for fresh eggs in the past I now have some resources that I found while driving around town (and I mean outside of downtown). There are a few private farms that sell roadside. Try Forest Road heading out to Wolfeboro Neck. Also 109A heading out towards Tuftonboro. (Pine Hill Rd) Sign on right near Lang Pond Rd.
Have also seen a signs On Trotting Track Rd. and Rt 28 heading out towards Ossipee.

Also Beaner's recommendation about Butternuts is spot on. They often have fresh local eggs.

I asked the new manager at Hunter's if they would stock local fresh eggs and they said they would look into it, but alas...no local fresh eggs. I think a lot of folks with chickens have a few dozen extra every now and than, but can't keep a grocery store supplied.

Finding my source for local fresh eggs has been a small triumph as a new resident. It was fun and I have gotten to know the family on a first name basis...people I may never have known in my social circle, but have enriched my life because of their hard work on the farm.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #9
Gearhead

I'm glad this came up. It's so hard finding fresh local poultry too. Could someone out there raise some broilers? We used to buy them ten or 20 at a time when we had a local farmer but he's no longer doing it. I think Haines Hill farm sells eggs but I'll have to check to see if they sell poultry.

Ridgefarmer63, you have a PM from me
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Ramblin' Vewe Farm

on Morill Street in Gilford has fresh eggs at the Shepard's hut. This is a good time to check on the birth of the new lambs!
Old 01-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #11
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misakame View Post
Anyone know where I can find some natural fresh eggs in the Wolfeboro area?
You mean the eggs that I get at the Super Market aren't "natural fresh eggs"?

What is a "natural" egg anyway? I think I know what a "fresh egg" and an "organic" egg is, but what is a "natural egg"? Aren't all eggs that come from a bird "natural".

Not trying to start a debate about "natural" and unnatural, I am just curious that's all.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #12
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Hate to tell ya'.......but most organic products are a total scam.Stanford University's Center of Health Policy just completed a study that found organics to be no more nutritious or less likely to be contaminated than the regular products for half the price.Organic farmers are allowed to use all but "synthetic" pesticides as well as animal poop as fertilizer......salmonella,anyone?
As a matter of fact,organic farmers are allowed to use a pesticide called rotegone which is difficultto wash off or remove.
There's lots more in the study but bottom line is,fruits,veggies,poultry and other non organics are safe, tasty and cost half as much.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
Redwing (01-30-2013)
Old 01-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #13
CateP

Default Fresh eggs

All I can say is that the fresh egg that I get from the farm down the street--sometimes still warm from the hen--is absolutely delicious and much more flavorful than the grocery eggs that have been sitting around for ???

The yolks are a rich deep orange from a fresh egg. The big grocery store eggs seems kinda washed out orange.

I dunno, maybe it's just mind over matter here, but I love buying a dozen eggs from the local farm on Sunday morning and cooking them up that same morning.

So happily there are a few choices in and around Wolfe town.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #14
Waterbaby

Default Local Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
You mean the eggs that I get at the Super Market aren't "natural fresh eggs"?

What is a "natural" egg anyway? I think I know what a "fresh egg" and an "organic" egg is, but what is a "natural egg"? Aren't all eggs that come from a bird "natural".

Not trying to start a debate about "natural" and unnatural, I am just curious that's all.
A better term is "local eggs" - they are fresher and don't come from commercial farms where the chickens are all crammed in together and fed chemically produced feed with all kinds of antibiotics and other yukkie stuff in it. Plus local eggs, especially if they are from "free range" chickens, have a lot more Omega 3 in the yolks and just plain taste better. Once you start eating local eggs, you'll never want eggs from the grocery store again!
Old 01-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #15
Waterbaby

Default To Misakame

And Misakame, check out any winter farmer's markets up there, someone is sure to be selling fresh eggs and befriend the farmer and buy direct. I know there is one in Tilton every Saturday, but that's a bit of a hike from W'boro........
Old 01-19-2013, 07:42 AM   #16
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbaby View Post
A better term is "local eggs" - they are fresher and don't come from commercial farms where the chickens are all crammed in together and fed chemically produced feed with all kinds of antibiotics and other yukkie stuff in it. Plus local eggs, especially if they are from "free range" chickens, have a lot more Omega 3 in the yolks and just plain taste better. Once you start eating local eggs, you'll never want eggs from the grocery store again!
Couldn't agree more that local eggs are fresher and more tasty.....but excuse for chuckling about "free range" birds.USDA regulations require that birds have access to the outdoors to be certified as free range. "No problem" says the big commercial farmer.They install a doggie door in a chicken house the size of an aircraft hanger housing 100,000 birds.Birds don't even know it's there but it meets the requirements so they happily get the inflated price.The consumer feels good that the chicken was free and happy.....they think they can taste the difference.Local is better,for sure but free range has nothing to do with it.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #17
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

John and Rocky who both work at Winnipesaukee Lumber sell eggs in the summer. I don't know about Rocky but Johnny doesn't have them in the winter. Carter Cincotta sells them sometimes too.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #18
moose tracks

Location: Loudon, Tennessee, foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains
Default Fewer local eggs in winter

It is harder to find fresh eggs in the winter because most small farmers have fewer eggs. Winter’s cold weather reduces egg production. But darkness is the main reason production begins to slow in the winter months. Most chickens produce eggs at a fastest rate when there is a good chance that any resulting offspring would survive to maturity. In the northern part of the United States, that means they slow down their egg-production as the days get shorter and winter approaches. Some farmers add artificial light sources to their chicken coop to get the chickens to produce more eggs. The use of lights fool the chickens' metabolisms into thinking the days are not getting shorter. By providing 14 hours a day of light, winter egg production will not drop off as bad.
tis (01-19-2013), Waterbaby (01-21-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #19
SIKSUKR

At least those chickens wont suffer from SAD (seasonal affective disorder).And they will have stronger bones with the added vitamin D.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:04 AM   #20
Winnisquamguy

Not in the Wolfeboro area but for people on this side of the lake you have Osborne's right on RT 3

http://www.osbornesagway.com/contact/winnisquam.html

304 Daniel Webster Highway Belmont, NH 03220
P: (603) 527-3769
F: (603) 527-8199
Old 01-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #21
Merrymeeting

We've never stopped there, but there is a house on Middleton Rd/Kings Highway that has a "Fresh Eggs" sign posted in front. It is on the right side as you head out of Wolfeboro toward Middleton/Farmington, a few miles beyond Weston Auto Body. I think it is just before you get to the Winnipesuakee Golf Club.

I'll check the mileage next time we head out that way.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #22
patman

Addresses for the ones I posted earlier:

Tuftonboro: Rt109A/Middle road:

19 Middle Road (white farmhouse) sign currently displayed
70 Middle Road (Cheney Farm)
101 Middle Road (house on east side of road)

Wolfeboro:
139 Trotting Track Road (rocky hillside meadow) sign currently displayed
patman is offline   Reply With Quote