Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-03-2024, 12:51 PM   #1
gokart-mozart

Default Verizon v. T-mobile and vice-versa

Verizon costs too much but it's been the only service that meets all my needs (live in Wolfeboro, commute to Concord or Laconia on 28, 140, 129, 11 and 11A).

Has anyone using those routes regularly switched from Verizon to T-Mobile, or from T-mobile to Verizon, that can comment on coverage, etc?

For now, I'm stuck with ABB/Breezline for high speed internet at home, and that doesn't look like their will be a choice for quite a while.
gokart-mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 04:50 PM   #2
Lakegeezer

Default Spectrum

If you are a Spectrum cable customer, check out their mobile service. It uses Verizon's towers, so coverage is similar in the lakes region. I got two lines of unlimited data for $30/month as a one year promo. Now, two lines cost $60. Much cheaper than Verizon and it works well.
Old 02-04-2024, 05:46 AM   #3
TheProfessor

Spectrum here uses Verizon towers. As stated above Spectrum offers phone service using Verizon lines.

Consumer Cellular and Straight talk here use the Verizon network/towers.
LINK

If it is just a phone for talking, text, limited data then a Tracfone with one year of service and a smart phone can cost $50.00 including the phone. From HSN.
Tracfone here uses the Verizon network.
LINK
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
TCC (02-04-2024)
Old 02-04-2024, 05:57 AM   #4
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

I switched from Verizon to Pure Talk and assume it uses the Verizon towers as I think most of them do now. I have not noticed any change in coverage at all.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 12:50 PM   #5
The Real BigGuy

My son uses Verizon’s subsidiary network Visible. It uses Verizon towers and is prepaid but, he now pays $35/mo for phone, text, and unlimited 5G (not really unlimited because they throttle after a certain amount and drop you off 5G. You have to agree to direct withdrawal from your credit card and you start at 45 or 50 per month but get reductions after x number of months being on the network and making payments on time.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2024, 01:33 PM   #6
codeman671

We switched from Verizon to T-mobile a while back. I commute from Gilford to Dover, but am all over the Gilford side of the lake often. Can't speak to the Wolfeboro end.

All carriers have their dead zones. For me, I lose signal for a a minute at Cherry Valley/West Alton and sometimes it cuts for a sec by Ellacoya Barn. On route 11 south of Alton there is a dead spot from 4 poles (literally) past the Flight Deck to just before Johnsons.

No problems towards Laconia, Belmont, Tilton and Concord on the main routes.

T-mobile is way cheaper than Verizon. For our 5 lines I am saving $150 over what I was paying Verizon.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 04:36 PM   #7
Biggd

Thanked 1,071 Times in 676 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
We switched from Verizon to T-mobile a while back. I commute from Gilford to Dover, but am all over the Gilford side of the lake often. Can't speak to the Wolfeboro end.

All carriers have their dead zones. For me, I lose signal for a a minute at Cherry Valley/West Alton and sometimes it cuts for a sec by Ellacoya Barn. On route 11 south of Alton there is a dead spot from 4 poles (literally) past the Flight Deck to just before Johnsons.

No problems towards Laconia, Belmont, Tilton and Concord on the main routes.

T-mobile is way cheaper than Verizon. For our 5 lines I am saving $150 over what I was paying Verizon.
Ellacoya Barn is a dead zone for Verizon also.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 05:43 PM   #8
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Over the last few years, most of the Lakes Region has been a dead zone for Verizon.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 06:03 PM   #9
ishoot308

Thanked 4,942 Times in 1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
AT&T also….other than that, no complaints about their service anywhere else. Very happy with them…

Dan
Old 04-10-2024, 05:06 AM   #10
thinkxingu

Just a note that I had essentially no DATA T-Mobile service from about ten minutes north of Jackson all the way to Errol while my two friends with Verizon had intermittent service on the way and great service in Errol.

This follows the common talk that Verizon is available in more places, especially up north.

Given that I could still make calls, that GPS still worked, and that WiFi was available everywhere important, I'm still totally happy with T-Mobile, but I thought I'd share.

Old 04-10-2024, 05:30 AM   #11
Cobaltdeadhead

I have T Mobile for my personal phone and Verizon for work. My wife has Verizon. I'd say Verizon is only slightly better around the lake. It's not enough for me to consider changing plans.

In the winter months I can be found downhill skiing in the mountains all over the three Northern New England states. In most rural areas of New England, Verizon is decidedly better than T Mobile
Cobaltdeadhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 10:34 AM   #12
cowislander

Default Mint

I switched from Verizon to Mint two years ago. Mint uses T-Mobile towers. I havent noticed an appreciable difference from Verizon's coverage. Better in some places, worse in others, on average its a wash. Except for price. I have 5gb of data every month and its $180 a year. Cant beat that!
cowislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 06:46 PM   #13
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default At&t

AT&T has the first responders contract in NH. They have expanded tremendously in the past few years, so I switched back to AT&T. Lots of dead zones on Verizon have disappeared.

Decades ago I switched from AT&T to Verizon when analog frequency were replaced by digital. AT&T was the analog king.
Old 04-20-2024, 07:00 PM   #14
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
AT&T has the first responders contract in NH. They have expanded tremendously in the past few years, so I switched back to AT&T. Lots of dead zones on Verizon have disappeared.

Decades ago I switched from AT&T to Verizon when analog frequency were replaced by digital. AT&T was the analog king.
AT&T's First Response contract helps both in terms of coverage and bandwidth. Glad it's working well for you.

Old 04-21-2024, 11:29 AM   #15
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowislander View Post
I switched from Verizon to Mint two years ago. Mint uses T-Mobile towers. I havent noticed an appreciable difference from Verizon's coverage. Better in some places, worse in others, on average its a wash. Except for price. I have 5gb of data every month and its $180 a year. Cant beat that!
I tried to switch from Tracfone to Mint last year but the transfer of my number kept failing. I contacted Mint and Tracfone several times but neither could identify the problem. Mint support was not at all helpful and I couldn’t spend any more time on it. A while later I heard about T-Mobile Connect (their prepaid service) and decided to give them a try. The transfer failed again but before I could do anything their support contacted me and said they saw the failure, called Tracfone, figured out the problem and got me activated. What a difference!

My T-Mobile Connect service costs $15/month with 3.5gb of data (more than enough for me) and no contract. The service has been excellent wherever I go.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 07:18 PM   #16
mishman

Default test drive T-Mobile for free

i was a Verizon customer for 25 years but got tired of their disinterest in keeping me a customer (no deals on upgraded phones but they will give the world for a non Verizon customer to switch to V). I felt like I was taken for granted. So I decided to try T-Mobile but worried the signal would not be strong enough from our place in Mboro. When I expressed this to the T-Mobile rep, he told me I could test drive the T-Mobile network via something I think he called "mirroring" on my Verizon phone. I think I had 30 days to test drive T-Mobile w/o actually switching. The signal was good and it gave me the confidence to switch. When we moved to FL for the winter months, the T-Mobile was weak (as was Verizon) in our particular location. T-Mobile said their booster would solve the problem (for $25) and sure enough it did the trick. We use the booster in Mboro as well and it has strengthened our already decent signal (you can move the booster but you have to re-register your location each time you change). As for the T-Mobile signal in and around the lakes region and going south, honestly, I have not noticed the difference at all.
T-Mobile is way cheaper than Verizon when you consider the added benefits (free Netflix, free Hulu, free Apple TV and (for one year only) free AAA. Also T-Mobile gave me a real discount on a new iPhone 15. And lastly, their customer service reps (based in Maine) are to a person, great. Verizon customer service not so much.
Hope this helps.
mishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 06:46 AM   #17
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Verizon Coverage

When they removed 3G, my HOA lost coverage. The 4G/5G signal is either blocked or too weak.

Verizon insists we have coverage because of a map. They are wrong. Enough calls from their customers in the area convince them to believe us. Verizon sent us the boosters at no additional cost. I rather use Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi calling. The Internet is way better and the calls are clear.

I was told I have the opportunity to test drive their network with my phone, not sure how that works. But I will give it a try.
Old 04-22-2024, 07:32 AM   #18
burgerunh

I too recently switched from Verizon to T-Mobile.

I did the "test drive" which was easy to set up on my Iphone 12. I found that the service met my needs and 2 months later have no regrets about my switch. The free Iphone 15 I got is pretty sweet too. So long Verizon! I was your longtime customer for 16 years and you screwed me out of $1500 worth of phone trade in credit!
burgerunh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 07:54 AM   #19
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

I wonder if Verizon has any inkling that they might be in trouble. It seems they are losing lots of customers as are the cable companies. But they all seem oblivious.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (04-22-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 09:42 AM   #20
Hillcountry

We switched 2 phones from Verizon to Xfinity mobile a couple of years ago. They gave us $400 for each phone (we used our current IPhone 11s)
So far the service had been “equal” to what Verizon was giving us except the cost..now $34.00 and change for both phones. I forget what Verizon was but it was over $150/month.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 08:57 PM   #21
Rich

Last year I switched from Verizon to T-mobile.

After many years of being a Verizon customer, the last straw was during bike weekat the lake. Signal was there, but NO data got through. They don't have the capacity to handle the traffic up here. So everything was at a standstill! Calls dropped, and no data.

T-Mobile has been less expensive, of course, to be fair, the ultimate test will be this year during bike week. Otherwise I'm happy with the switch to T-Mobile.
Old 04-23-2024, 05:57 AM   #22
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

The carriers usually bring in a trailer mounted antenna and equipment to pick up the additional cellphone traffic during Bike Week. It is parked at the Weirs Community Center.

The same thing happens during concerts at the Bank of New Hampshire Pavilion in Gilford. I have some equipment in the area that used to work on cell service but it had to be switched to hard line internet because it would routinely become unreliable or fail during concerts.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote