Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-10-2017, 09:45 AM   #1
Blyblvrd

Default Boat Insurance recommendations?

Does anyone have recommendations for good Boat Insurance providers? We bought our first boat last year and went with American Reliable Insurance Company but don't really know if they are a good choice (economics and quality) or not.

I searched the forums for this thread, my apologies if I missed it
Blyblvrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:47 AM   #2
Rich

You'll get many different answers as everyone has their favorite.

I use BoatUS. For the price and features, and for my boat, it is a good choice.

You'll need to decide on what coverage you want, and call a few to get some price quotes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:
Blyblvrd (04-11-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 09:54 AM   #3
Lakeboater

Default Progressive

We use Progressive for our boat insurance. They were recommended in a different thread here.
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakeboater For This Useful Post:
Blyblvrd (04-11-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 10:03 AM   #4
Ken

I use progressive. Much cheaper then boat usa
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ken For This Useful Post:
Blyblvrd (04-19-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 10:04 AM   #5
bayviewguy

Switched from Boat US to Progressive. Good idea to check coverages and get a few quotes. We use the Cross Insurance office here in Meredith.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
bayviewguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bayviewguy For This Useful Post:
Blyblvrd (04-19-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2017, 10:10 AM   #6
Little Bear

I switched from Boat US to Geico - major cost savings for better coverage. I have several cars insured with Geico as well.
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Bear For This Useful Post:
Blyblvrd (04-19-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 10:14 AM   #7
ishoot308

Thanked 4,953 Times in 1,920 Posts
Default Progressive

Progressive here also...No one else came close in price! Had to use them last year for a very costly repair, they were fantastic to work with and covered everything 100%...

Dan
Old 04-10-2017, 10:29 AM   #8
8gv

Progressive.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:56 AM   #9
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,013 Times in 919 Posts

Need I say Progressive?
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:03 AM   #10
kawishiwi

Default Progressive

Cars, boat &condo so I get discounts on very competitive rates. Car claims handled with astonishing speed & care. Almost annoying with the amount of status updates and "check ins" to see how the process was going for me. Almost.
Have not had a boat or condo claim so I cant comment on that.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:57 AM   #11
ursa minor

Another vote for Progressive, might be seeing a trend here. Our agent is Avery in Wolfeboro.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:36 PM   #12
Little Bear

Do you Progressive customers that insure your cars with them have to put that "snapshot" device in your cars so they can monitor your driving habits?
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:45 PM   #13
bigdog

A word of caution about Progress for boat insurance.

Met a marine insurance rep this week, that told me that Progressive does not use OEM part replacements but use 'after market'..

Also that Progressive will not pay for just anyone to fix a boat/motor issues, but has to be one from they're preferred list.

He recommended Markel insurance:
https://www.markelinsurance.com/marine

I have Progressive and going to call them about above, and if all true will call Markel for an estimate.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:54 PM   #14
whalebackpoint'r

Progressive via Cross Agency here. Reasonable rates.
whalebackpoint'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:23 PM   #15
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
A word of caution about Progress for boat insurance.

Met a marine insurance rep this week, that told me that Progressive does not use OEM part replacements but use 'after market'..

Also that Progressive will not pay for just anyone to fix a boat/motor issues, but has to be one from they're preferred list.

He recommended Markel insurance:
https://www.markelinsurance.com/marine

I have Progressive and going to call them about above, and if all true will call Markel for an estimate.
I call BS on all of that! Progressive just did $16,000.00 worth of repairs on my boat that was one year old. All new OEM Yamaha parts and done at ANY Yamaha authorized dealer. No questions asked whatsoever and check arrived in a couple days. Couldn't ask for anything better.

Dan
Old 04-10-2017, 02:54 PM   #16
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
I call BS on all of that! Progressive just did $16,000.00 worth of repairs on my boat that was one year old. All new OEM Yamaha parts and done at ANY Yamaha authorized dealer. No questions asked whatsoever and check arrived in a couple days. Couldn't ask for anything better.

Dan
$16k? What did you do Dan???

I use Boat/US and have had no issues ever. Been with them for years. I have used Markel in the past, but it was for a specialty boat- an airboat. They seem like more of a niche/specialty provider than a price-driven insurer, such as airboats, hovercraft, fast boats, etc.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:12 PM   #17
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
$16k? What did you do Dan???
Bumped a rock going slower than headway speed with the Benny. Center pontoon got dented and bullet on motor got scratched. Was able to use the rest of the summer with no issues and had work done over winter. After they inspected it, Progressive replaced the center pontoon with a new one from Bennington and the entire lower gear case unit on the Yamaha with OEM new. Prop was never even touched. Apparently because the scratches were deep in the bullet they will not repair for liability reasons. Dent in pontoon was near weld, rep was concerned about internal baffle weld damage and liability so replaced that as well. Their money their call...It's all fixed like new now thanks to Progressive....

Dan
codeman671 (04-10-2017), Hillcountry (04-10-2017), VitaBene (04-18-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 04:06 PM   #18
kawishiwi

Default Nope, no way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear View Post
Do you Progressive customers that insure your cars with them have to put that "snapshot" device in your cars so they can monitor your driving habits?
I dont use the snapshot thingy. My rates would go up....

VitaBene (04-18-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 04:16 PM   #19
Little Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawishiwi View Post
I dont use the snapshot thingy. My rates would go up....

Old 04-10-2017, 04:30 PM   #20
Descant

Thanked 1,525 Times in 987 Posts
Default OEM vs Aftermarket parts

I was in the insurance business for 25 years before retiring. To me, that stuff about aftermarket vs OEM is just so much BS. The parts are guaranteed, and if they don't fit, you get a rental car for the time delay. And I'm not buying a new fender for my boat, so I can't figure what aftermarket parts I'd get for a boat. Except for the hull itself, much of the boat is aftermarket anyway.
I have Progressive via USAA. Had a claim a few years ago, the adjuster talked to the marina (MY marina, not one they chose) and wrote a check on the spot. They know it's a short season.
There are likely advantages to keeping as much business as possible with the same firm/agent, like personal items stolen from your boat that may be covered under homeowners, etc.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:30 PM   #21
Woody38

My wife was the manager of legal research for the Boston Trial court. She told me that Progressive was sued more than any other company.
Basically one apparently obtains what they pay for.

Some replies for Progressive.

Progressive Insurance

HomeInsuranceAuto Insurance
Last updated: 04/09/2017

Consumer Complaints and Reviews

Carlos of Hollywood, FL on April 2, 2017

Satisfaction Rating

☆☆☆☆★

My car was hit while I was parked at a Walgreens the driver had Progressive insurance. I filed a claim and everything seemed fine. I was told I could drop off car at Progressive office and I would get a 1-day rental. When I arrived a teenage-looking agent looked at car and informed me I would have to wait since no rental car would be provided. So I was forced to waste my entire day at Progressive. When he was done with estimate he said I would get a check for 30 dollars. I could not believe his arrogance. The repair for the rear bumpers was a few hundred dollars. He then informed me I could take car to one of their contracted repair shops. So I was forced to go to another location and wait 2 hours more. Disgraceful liars. Truly disgusting people. Stay away from Progressive!

Helpful?YesNo

Richard of Plantation, FL on March 31, 2017

Satisfaction Rating

☆☆☆☆★

We got involved in an accident in our parking lot with a neighbor who is insured by Progressive (neighbor was at fault). We were assigned a Progressive Claim Rep and were told to take our car to the Progressive shop in FL for a repair estimate. Right after getting the estimate I called our rep and he said he was mailing the check right away. A week later there was no sign of any check. We called the rep an average of 15 times to no answer. When we finally managed to speak to him, he said he was going to mail the check that day. We said no and decided to drive the 20 something miles to the Progressive office to get the check in person.

We were also told to go to an auto body shop and call him from there to get a rental. Called quite a few times. No answer. Called the 1800 number and was redirected to Progressive MA since we have a MA phone numbers. We were redirected to Progressive Florida - straight to voicemail quite a few times. A couple of times we didn't even get to voicemail before the call was dropped. After finally getting through and getting the rental arranged, we arrived at Enterprise to be told Progressive was only paying up to $25 per day (wouldn't cover a compact SUV). We drive a mid-size SUV.

I called Progressive again to ask about this. After being redirected from MA to FL and managing to speak to someone in the Florida office, the representative not only indirectly accused me of lying, but was passive aggressive, and said there was nothing she could do. The word nightmare doesn't even begin to describe my experience with Progressive. Extremely unprofessional, at least with the Florida side. On the bright side, when I was directed to MA because of my MA phone number, the reps I spoke to were friendly, polite and seem to be trying to help.

Helpful?YesNo

Francis of Ocklawaha, FL on March 30, 2017

Satisfaction Rating

☆☆☆☆★

Worst company ever. I'm not at fault, hit by Progressive driver (young girl on phone). She doesn't have the coverage to fix the new Lincoln she hit so my insurance fix it. (Over 10k). Progressive covers rental and towing. Done. Now comes diminished value. 5k. Progressive said two weeks. It's been a month. I've called, sent emails and not one return call. I'm taking these crooks to court. They can pay for everything plus interest. My advice, If you have to deal with Progressive get an attorney.

Helpful?YesNo

Richard of Bayport, NY on March 30, 2017

Satisfaction Rating

☆☆☆☆★

Was with Geico and began comparing rates online. Progressive quoted me a great rate. Made the switch and paid in full. Less than a week goes by and my rate went up 20%. They said an underwriting audit discovered a PIP claim from 2012. When I inquired, they said my wife went to the doctor after being rear ended while sitting at a light. They said the doctor was paid $47 dollars. They said my score went from 0 claims to 1 in less than 5 years. So... beware of the ole bait and switch. They will get you signed up, and then they will figure a way to up your premium. Be careful. I'm going back to GEICO.

Helpful?YesNo
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:49 PM   #22
Cobalt 25

Years ago my boat came off the trailer at speed on 95 in South Carolina. BoatUs insurance covered EVERYTHING, eventually paying out more than the boat was worth. They were excellent.

Last August I hit a rock on Winni. BoatUs insurance paid over $18k to fix it, using Volvo OEM parts. Again, they were awesome.

I just received my premium renewal notice from them- no $ increase in policy.
Cobalt 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:23 PM   #23
bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post

Dan
Thanks ishoot308 for setting the record straight about Progressive, sounds like you had a good experience with them.
I guess you can't always believe what folks tell you, even if it's coming from another insurance agent.

I too was previously with BOAT-US for insurance, before jumping to Progressive, strictly because of price.

I guess your insurance policy is only as good as your next claim !
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:10 AM   #24
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody38 View Post
My wife was the manager of legal research for the Boston Trial court. She told me that Progressive was sued more than any other company.
Basically one apparently obtains what they pay for.

Some replies for Progressive.

Progressive Insurance

HomeInsuranceAuto Insurance
Last updated: 04/09/2017

Consumer Complaints and Reviews

Carlos of Hollywood, FL on April 2, 2017

Satisfaction Rating

☆☆☆☆★

My car was hit while I was parked at a Walgreens the driver had Progressive insurance. I filed a claim and everything seemed fine. I was told I could drop off car at Progressive office and I would get a 1-day rental. When I arrived a teenage-looking agent looked at car and informed me I would have to wait since no rental car would be provided. So I was forced to waste my entire day at Progressive. When he was done with estimate he said I would get a check for 30 dollars. I could not believe his arrogance. The repair for the rear bumpers was a few hundred dollars. He then informed me I could take car to one of their contracted repair shops. So I was forced to go to another location and wait 2 hours more. Disgraceful liars. Truly disgusting people. Stay away from Progressive!

Helpful?YesNo

Richard of Plantation, FL on March 31, 2017

Satisfaction Rating

☆☆☆☆★

We got involved in an accident in our parking lot with a neighbor who is insured by Progressive (neighbor was at fault). We were assigned a Progressive Claim Rep and were told to take our car to the Progressive shop in FL for a repair estimate. Right after getting the estimate I called our rep and he said he was mailing the check right away. A week later there was no sign of any check. We called the rep an average of 15 times to no answer. When we finally managed to speak to him, he said he was going to mail the check that day. We said no and decided to drive the 20 something miles to the Progressive office to get the check in person.

We were also told to go to an auto body shop and call him from there to get a rental. Called quite a few times. No answer. Called the 1800 number and was redirected to Progressive MA since we have a MA phone numbers. We were redirected to Progressive Florida - straight to voicemail quite a few times. A couple of times we didn't even get to voicemail before the call was dropped. After finally getting through and getting the rental arranged, we arrived at Enterprise to be told Progressive was only paying up to $25 per day (wouldn't cover a compact SUV). We drive a mid-size SUV.

I called Progressive again to ask about this. After being redirected from MA to FL and managing to speak to someone in the Florida office, the representative not only indirectly accused me of lying, but was passive aggressive, and said there was nothing she could do. The word nightmare doesn't even begin to describe my experience with Progressive. Extremely unprofessional, at least with the Florida side. On the bright side, when I was directed to MA because of my MA phone number, the reps I spoke to were friendly, polite and seem to be trying to help.

Helpful?YesNo

Francis of Ocklawaha, FL on March 30, 2017

Satisfaction Rating

☆☆☆☆★

Worst company ever. I'm not at fault, hit by Progressive driver (young girl on phone). She doesn't have the coverage to fix the new Lincoln she hit so my insurance fix it. (Over 10k). Progressive covers rental and towing. Done. Now comes diminished value. 5k. Progressive said two weeks. It's been a month. I've called, sent emails and not one return call. I'm taking these crooks to court. They can pay for everything plus interest. My advice, If you have to deal with Progressive get an attorney.

Helpful?YesNo

Richard of Bayport, NY on March 30, 2017

Satisfaction Rating

☆☆☆☆★

Was with Geico and began comparing rates online. Progressive quoted me a great rate. Made the switch and paid in full. Less than a week goes by and my rate went up 20%. They said an underwriting audit discovered a PIP claim from 2012. When I inquired, they said my wife went to the doctor after being rear ended while sitting at a light. They said the doctor was paid $47 dollars. They said my score went from 0 claims to 1 in less than 5 years. So... beware of the ole bait and switch. They will get you signed up, and then they will figure a way to up your premium. Be careful. I'm going back to GEICO.

Helpful?YesNo
Huge companies like that will all have lots of unhappy people. Check out Geicos unsatisfied customers. If you have 50 million clients and 3% of them hate you that is 1.5 million people that could leave bad reviews on the internet. The other 48.5 million have no issues. Just sayin...

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/insurance/geico.htm
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doobs41378 For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (04-11-2017), upthesaukee (04-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 11:19 AM   #25
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobs41378 View Post
Huge companies like that will all have lots of unhappy people. Check out Geicos unsatisfied customers. If you have 50 million clients and 3% of them hate you that is 1.5 million people that could leave bad reviews on the internet. The other 48.5 million have no issues. Just sayin...

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/insurance/geico.htm
Spot on!!!!
Old 04-11-2017, 03:40 PM   #26
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,920 Times in 1,062 Posts

Progressive

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 04-11-2017, 04:10 PM   #27
RoBe

I've had Progressive for many years. We had a mishap last summer and they were excellent to deal with, paid for all repairs at a first-rate marina. Fingers are crossed as I await this year's premium.
RoBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:04 PM   #28
rsmlp

Allstate. For everything. Saved thousands over Geico and a HUMAN BEING that I know answers the phone.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:07 PM   #29
rsmlp

BTW, I would not buy Progressive Insurance if they were that last insurance co on the face of the earth. just me.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/peterlewis.asp
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rsmlp For This Useful Post:
Blyblvrd (04-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 06:35 PM   #30
kawishiwi

Default Even more reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post
BTW, I would not buy Progressive Insurance if they were that last insurance co on the face of the earth. just me.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/peterlewis.asp
Thanks, now I have even more reason to stay with Progressive.

Blyblvrd (04-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 06:40 PM   #31
Hillcountry

I use SkiSafe based on someone on here's recommendation.
No idea how they will be in a claim situation but they are very good at communicating and seem service oriented. Very reasonable on the quote too!
I used to use Markel for my motorcycles and didn't realize they handled boats...I could have sworn I called them and they said they didn't.
Time will tell.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
Blyblvrd (04-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 09:17 PM   #32
Blyblvrd

This forum is great. Thanks everyone for the advice!
Blyblvrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:15 PM   #33
Woody38

I have BOAT/US and have had for all my boats.
AMICA covers my real estate and automobiles. Contrary to this report AMICA
does have discounts for low mileage, special pay and multi-coverage.
They even wrote us a commercial policy back in 1980 when building cottages and renting. AMICA did not write commercial at that time. When I told the consultant that other companies would but required all my other coverage, life, auto and home which meant we would have to leave AMICA after being insured with them for decades. She said she would call me back and did saying he talked with the chairman and they would write a commercial policy.
They have been excellent with coverage on accidents (other driver at fault), and not good companies. AMICA paid for repairs with OEM parts and collected from the other company. We are insured for OEM parts for our autos. Does cost a little more.

http://www.thesimpledollar.com/best-...nce-companies/

You may also want to look at Consumers Union.
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:56 AM   #34
fireman

Progressive has great rates and awesome service I have had them for 12 years and their rates have stayed almost the same

Sent from my SM-G930V using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fireman For This Useful Post:
Blyblvrd (04-19-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 07:20 AM   #35
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Progressive

Depends on who you talk to rates varies. The cheapest quote was from the guy from FL at the Progressive tent during Bike Week. I don't like having different quotes from the same company for the same vehicle.

I had Metlife for decades, made a few claims and very happy with them. The marina will submit all the paperwork for me and they get paid promptly!
Blyblvrd (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 08:21 PM   #36
winniegirl

Only a suggestion because you have to figure out what your needs are, but we use Markel for the motorcycle and the boat - extremely reasonable.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
winniegirl is offline   Reply With Quote