Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-09-2019, 02:17 PM   #1
fatlazyless

Talk'n about old trailer trips from the 1950's towed with sedan style cars..... here's a movie ..... The Long Long Trailer (1953) with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz .... driving what looks like ..... just guessing here ..... a 1953 Mercury Monterey convertible w/ a 125-hp flathead V-8 .... and the trailer is a 36-foot, 1953 Redman 'New Moon' model.

Seems like a whole lot of trailer for a 125-hp gasoline motor..... on the mountain road .... must have had a three on the tree, manual, set up with a hill-climber 2nd gear and a heavy duty clutch!

"Say Lucy ...... oh Lucy ..... could you please get out and help with this trailer by giving it a push!"

This movie is a regular on Turner Classic Movies .... showing up every few months.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 04-11-2019 at 01:24 PM.
fatlazyless is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
trfour (04-10-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 02:30 PM   #2
garysanfran

Default Long, Long Trailer...Full movie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Talk'n about old trailer trips from the 1950's towed by sedan passenger style cars..... here's a movie ..... The Long Long Trailer (1953) with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz .... driving what looks like ..... just guessing here ..... a 1953 Mercury Monterey convertible w/ a 125-hp flathead V-8
.... mountain road clip

This movie is a regular on TCM .... playing up every few months on Turner Classic Movies.
Watch it here. I did. Hilarious.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6&&FORM=VRDGAR
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
trfour (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 08:44 AM   #3
trfour

Post Visiting Gettysburg

Pic#2.Don't shoot, checking her aim??
Attached Images

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trfour For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 01:25 PM   #4
trfour

Smile And, for all you sport's fan's

Pic#1. An NFL Referee Officiating, FIND THE FOOTBALL.

Pic#2. Tennis, on a Trailer Court??
Attached Images

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
Old 04-10-2019, 02:57 PM   #5
Janet

trfour, how did you make it down here to the DFW area with the rest of us who wished we lived closer to the lake than 1800 miles?
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2019, 03:32 PM   #6
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
trfour, how did you make it down here to the DFW area with the rest of us who wished we lived closer to the lake than 1800 miles?
Hi Janet,

I needed medical attention, and the only coverage I had at the time, 2005, was the VA and the #1 VA hospital in the Country was here in Dallas. Also, my Sister Doña has been living for many years here prier, so that's why. I found out threw much testing that I had kidney cancer, was successfully operated on some five years ago now. So I'm kindah stuck here, Retired on SS. Howevah, even though they had to give me 16 pts of blood and two pts of platelets, I still have my New England accent... And Thank God for this website, keeping me from getting too Homesick!!

Old 04-10-2019, 04:20 PM   #7
Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfour View Post
Hi Janet,

I needed medical attention, and the only coverage I had at the time, 2005, was the VA and the #1 VA hospital in the Country was here in Dallas. Also, my Sister Doña has been living for many years here prier, so that's why. I found out threw much testing that I had kidney cancer, was successfully operated on some five years ago now. So I'm kindah stuck here, Retired on SS. Howevah, even though they had to give me 16 pts of blood and two pts of platelets, I still have my New England accent... And Thank God for this website, keeping me from getting too Homesick!!
Hi trfour,
Glad to hear your surgery was successful and you still have your accent. My family is fortunate to spend 7 weeks in Melvin Village each year. This great website is what gets us through the "winter months" here in Plano.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Janet For This Useful Post:
trfour (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 09:11 PM   #8
Descant

Thanked 1,530 Times in 989 Posts
Default Thast's super

Congrats on successful surgery. I think we all feel like we know you and wish you the best. Fifty percent, maybe more, of good health is good attitude, so you're in the good numbers. We say here, "Press on, young man. Things will be better tomorrow." Keep posting. This is a great thread.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
trfour (04-10-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 12:01 AM   #9
trfour

Post Thank Y'all Folk's

Go 'in to bed now, have a good night.

Turn out the lights, the party's oh-over...
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2019, 05:52 AM   #10
ApS

Wink 'Just Dust in the Bore...

Quote:
Pic#2.Don't shoot, checking her aim??

The correct term for that is "boresighting".
Old 04-11-2019, 10:49 AM   #11
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post

The correct term for that is "boresighting".
Cool ApS!

OHIO". To this very day, I couldn't think of a better name for this State.

We were detoured along our journey through, by a tornado that closed the main highway onto a dirt road that most Oxen would have said, Get Out'ah Here!
We did however get back to the main highway, through a very skillful pilot in my Dad, and of course Our Good Lord!
We stoped again to wash the MUD off, and did some more chores...
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2019, 01:23 PM   #12
Biggd

Thanked 1,073 Times in 678 Posts

I remember the family vacations when I was very young traveling in the beach wagon out to the Midwest to visit my fathers side of the family.
It's amazing what I can remember from 60 years ago but I can't remember what I had for dinner last night.
I remember my uncle taking me fishing and I was catching frogs that were so big I held them like a cat.
Another thing I remember is my uncles basement had a shower in the middle of it with nothing surrounding it. We all thought that was funny because you would obviously be seen by anyone that came down the stairs while you were showering.
Now I'm going to have to search my attic for pictures.
It's fun to look back when life was simple and less stressful, at least for the kids anyway.

Last edited by Biggd; 04-11-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:01 PM   #13
farechofisherman

What an amazing story!!! Incredible pictures and storyline. Your parents were real troopers to undertake this journey, and so culturally rewarding for the entire family-WOW!!!
farechofisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to farechofisherman For This Useful Post:
trfour (04-21-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 03:33 PM   #14
Biggd

Thanked 1,073 Times in 678 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by farechofisherman View Post
What an amazing story!!! Incredible pictures and storyline. Your parents were real troopers to undertake this journey, and so culturally rewarding for the entire family-WOW!!!
My kids dread taking my grandkids to visit at the lake for just a weekend. Too much trouble packing all the crap they have to bring and they only have 2 and 3 kids?
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 04:06 PM   #15
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
My kids dread taking my grandkids to visit at the lake for just a weekend. Too much trouble packing all the crap they have to bring and they only have 2 and 3 kids?

Purpose of the trip is to bring less not more

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
Biggd (04-12-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 07:58 PM   #16
trfour

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Purpose of the trip is to bring less not more
No Such Animal In Our Family Joey!

joey2665 (05-04-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 08:30 PM   #17
trfour

Post Besides me

Are there any other gearheads out there?

The Dynaflow in our 1949 Buick was not the most efficient, but the incredible torque it took just to get that 7 1/2 ton rig to move, and if anyone used it to tow with the fuel prices of today, they'd probably need to own an oil company! The 1949 Buick was brutal on fuel, 3-4 miles per gallon. Just remember that gas was about .17-.20 cents a gallon back then.
However, the Dynaflow was virtually indestructible and towed our house from the Atlantic to the Pacific coasts, and all of the mountains, [Rockies], and in between. It used 1/2 pint of transmission fluid over the whole trip!
Here's some history on it , Credit Wikipedia.
Dynaflow was the trademark name for a type of automatic transmission developed and built by General Motors' Buick Motor Division from the late 1940s to the mid 1960s. The Dynaflow, which was introduced for the 1948 model year only as an option on Roadmaster models, received some severe early testing in the M18 Hellcat tank destroyer, which were built in Buick's Flint, Michigan assembly plant during World War II. It was also used in the 1951 Le Sabre concept car.[1]
The Dynaflow initially used a five-element torque converter, with two turbines and two stators, as well as a planetary gearset that provided two forward speeds plus reverse. In normal driving, Dynaflow started in high gear (direct drive), relying on the converter's torque multiplication to accelerate the vehicle. Low gear, obtained via the planetary gearset, could be manually engaged and held up to approximately 40 mph (64 km/h), improving acceleration. However, the transmission was incapable of automatic shifting, requiring the driver to move the shift lever from low to drive to cause an upshift. Buicks equipped with the Dynaflow transmissions were unique among American automobiles of the time in that the driver or his/her passengers would not detect the tell-tale interruption in acceleration that resulted when other automatic transmissions of the time shifted through their gears. Acceleration through a Dynaflow was one smooth (if inefficient) experience.

moose tracks (05-05-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 10:02 AM   #18
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

I'm nothing of a gear-head. I am a bit of a history buff. You have managed UP YOUR GAME!.

Thank you- you story is beautiful and intriguing!
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JEEPONLY For This Useful Post:
trfour (05-05-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 12:05 PM   #19
trfour

Smile Anothah

Not A Resume Photo.

Eventually we took the Southern Route and returned to New England, ( some 6 and some change years later ) in a 1947 Plymouth Woody station wagon 9 passenger six cylinder with headers and dual exhaust, a huge luggage rack mounted on the roof, towing a 12' U'hall...
( Yet A Whole nothah story ) !
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2019, 01:37 PM   #20
trfour

Post The Ultimate Chef's,

After arriving in California, Mom and Dad helped out at Aunt Joan and Uncle Chick's restaurant on Santa Catalina Island, for awhile. Here they are.

Photo's by Life Magazine. in 1952.

PS, And Mother would eventually open her own restaurant in downtown LA., called ' Mom's Kitchen ' and most of the Cheft's, Waitresses and dishwashers that worked at the fancy hotel restaurants in the area would sneak over to Mom's and get into the Literal line's of folk's at any given meal time for her wonderful food and recipe's.
No child labor laws, and I washed all O the dishes, aftah school, at 8 years Hold.

Pic#2. In background, see the Lucky Strike, Yes, back in the 50s smoking was considered normal. Lucky Strike was a valued advertiser in Life Magazine... I also remember that cigarettes were ten cents per pack at the PX, when I served in the Signal Corps in the mid 60s.
For all of those that may read this, ( Do Not Start Smoking )!!!!
A quote from an old friend of ours;
"Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I’ve done it thousands of times. ~ Mark Twain".
Attached Images

Last edited by trfour; 05-22-2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:45 PM   #21
trfour

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPONLY View Post
I'm nothing of a gear-head. I am a bit of a history buff. You have managed UP YOUR GAME!.
You couldah fooled me with that Handel!!

Old 05-06-2019, 12:12 AM   #22
trfour

Sister's Linda and Doña met a pooch, on there way to the store.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2019, 10:08 AM   #23
trfour

Post On The Road Again

S'more Dad got the Trucking Terminal in Santa Maria running smoothly so show-nuf got transferred back down to the LA. area and we bought a house [without wheels] where we had our first Christmas without Brother Fred, as he served in the Marines.
Pic#1. Magic Carpet delivered for unpacking, by semi tractor. Orange, CAL.
Pic#2. Missing Brother Fred, pictured on mantle from barracks. Sister Doña.
Pic#3. Santa, caught on camera.

The neighbors lawnmower was on the fritz.
Attached Images

Last edited by trfour; 06-02-2019 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:07 AM   #24
trfour

Post Not nessasarely in Order,

At The Magic Carpet PrimaCare Clinic, Dr. Mom administering cough medication.

The ironing board setup was also used for surgery.
Only kidding!
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2019, 08:12 AM   #25
trfour

I don't miss the LA smog...
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2019, 06:18 AM   #26
ApS

Exclamation Tornadoes?

Quote:
Cool ApS!

OHIO". To this very day, I couldn't think of a better name for this State. We were detoured along our journey through, by a tornado that closed the main highway onto a dirt road that most Oxen would have said, Get Out'ah Here! We did however get back to the main highway, through a very skillful pilot in my Dad, and of course Our Good Lord! We stopped again to wash the MUD off, and did some more chores...
I, too, was confronted by tornadoes. As I entered New Mexico, the first Tornado Warning was issued by AM radio. As I entered the modest State campground near Roswell, perhaps 50 children and parents were using the provided playground. I advised them of the warning, then drove around the small campground for a suitable spot. After completing the small loop of maybe 30 spaces, I'd returned to the playground, and found it had emptied out. Ultimately, I'd picked a campground with nobody in it!

As for the 8-minute movie clip of Lucie and Desie, I could sympathize with their dilemma of trailering through mountain passes. The only thing missing was steam. I won't spoil the ending, which is very telling, as most Eastern flatlanders become collectors of such things when they head out West.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:23 AM   #27
trfour

Default come to, think of it

I mustah had CRS back then Too, cause your supposed to put a sheet on the bed before you jump in? and go to sleep...
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2019, 02:39 PM   #28
Island Girl

Default Journey

Thanks so much Terry, for the journey through time. The pictures are wonderful.

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:32 PM   #29
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
Thanks so much Terry, for the journey through time. The pictures are wonderful.

IG
You are so very welcome Island Girl. And I thank you for all of your wonderful Pictures out here. I found out that time doesn't stand still for any of us, so we all qualify to that "journey through time".

Oh, and you rid me of CRS as I recall that wonderful Hug you gave me at Waldo Pepper's. Way back when... Love and miss you, Terry

Old 04-16-2019, 09:18 PM   #30
trfour

Post Busy Cafe'

The othah golden rule = " Stay Out The Kitchen" before meals!!!!

Aftah meals, your All on KP duty!!!!
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2019, 02:47 PM   #31
trfour

Post Never Took Much To Entertain Us Kids.Pic#

Removing a splinter from my LegO!

Pic#2. Us-Tube Photo??
Attached Images

Last edited by trfour; 05-06-2019 at 10:16 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:13 PM   #32
trfour

Smile

Most of us love Coney Island hotDogs...

My younger sister Doña says in this photo, ( way too late , of course ) Hold The Sauerkraut!!
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2019, 07:13 PM   #33
trfour

Default Smokey and the Bandit

The whole Swat Team.

We got pulled over again just outside of Bakersfield California, on our way there, from the east coast, and it was like a swat team, that descended upon us!!
Well, the Sergent at arms thought that we were over width, and there fore illegal, not covered in our permits! ... He had one of his subtenants call in to check it out, only to find that we were good to go!

The Sergent felt so bad, that he gave us some coupons for free donuts at a local donut shop...

Pic # 1. C.H.P's Major Sargent
And, Not Resume Photos.
Attached Images

Last edited by trfour; 05-04-2019 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:47 AM   #34
moose tracks

Location: Loudon, Tennessee, foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains
Smile

Quote:
The Sergent felt so bad, that he gave us some coupons for free donuts at a local donut shop...

It is very special for a cop to give up coupons for free donuts . Thanks for all the great pictures Trfour.
trfour (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 02:05 PM   #35
trfour

Thank you Moose, my pleasure.
Even though none of my photos ever came out as good as theirs, it was the Life photog's that got me hooked on taking photos as they gave me a camera and all the film I wanted at the begining of our journey.
Thanks to our Webmaster Don, all of us forum members get to post and share our photos here on this wonderful website alowing us Much pleasure and fun over many many years now, and I consider all as extended Family.
Love,
Terry
Attached Images

moose tracks (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 04:39 PM   #36
trfour

Smile Oh, and

No Broom, chimney sweep.
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2019, 05:50 PM   #37
trfour

Even travel logging, including every gallon of gas, how many miles and such, and planning was Fun. We were fix'in to embark to the Wisconsin Dell's, and take the Boat Cruise...
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2019, 08:48 AM   #38
Merrymeeting

Default Now I know how your parents did it!

Quote:
The othah golden rule = " Stay Out The Kitchen" before meals!!!!

Aftah meals, your All on KP duty!!!!
Look at the size of that wine glass! ;-) (See 2nd picture in reply #81)

Thanks for including us all in your wonderful story!
Merrymeeting is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
trfour (04-21-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 11:42 AM   #39
trfour

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
Look at the size of that wine glass! ;-) (See 2nd picture in reply #81)

Thanks for including us all in your wonderful story!
I couldn't have done it without Y'all, Merrymeeting. I looked for the wine bottle for that there wine glass, couldn't find it, but I did find a can O beer...
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2019, 12:02 PM   #40
trfour

They don't make whitewall tires like they usetah…
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2019, 04:33 PM   #41
DRH

Quote:
You are so very welcome Island Girl. And I thank you for all of your wonderful Pictures out here. I found out that time doesn't stand still for any of us, so we all qualify to that "journey through time".
Oh, and you rid me of CRS as I recall that wonderful Hug you gave me at Waldo Pepper's. Way back when... Love and miss you, Terry
I remember meeting you that time at Waldo Pepper's too, Terry! There were a number of forum "regulars" there and we all had the pleasure of meeting you. It was a good time. I sure miss the old Waldo Pepper's at the Weirs!

Your photo presentation of your trip is absolutely wonderful! You have made the trip come alive for many of us. Many thanks for sharing your memories!

Don
trfour (04-19-2019), webmaster (04-20-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 01:09 AM   #42
trfour

Post Amazing Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH View Post
Your photo presentation of your trip is absolutely wonderful! You have made the trip come alive for many of us. Many thanks for sharing your memories!

Don
Hi Don,
Now I get to Thank You for all of your wonderful photo's, memories and story's that you have shared with all of us over these many years here as well!
Thank you Don, and say Hi to Peg for me.
Love,
Terry
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2019, 05:27 AM   #43
trfour

Smile Oh and

All of the sophisticated and luxurious front lawn furniture that came with the Magic Carpet.
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2019, 10:34 PM   #44
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH View Post
I remember meeting you that time at Waldo Pepper's too, Terry! There were a number of forum "regulars" there and we all had the pleasure of meeting you. It was a good time. I sure miss the old Waldo Pepper's at the Weirs!
Don
Waldo Pepper's were right on my doorstep when I lived at the Camp on Paugus Bay, they always kept me from dieting, cause the food was so awesome, just like the Owner's, Wonderful Folk's, and it really made my day when I stopped to get a couple Lobstah rolls to go and got to meet you wonderful Folk's too Don!!

Old 04-21-2019, 11:57 PM   #45
trfour

My Dad made replica models of the two Buicks, the Flatstah luggage trailer and the Magic carpet and Mom upholstered the furniture, out of balsa wood. Partly because even though The Magic Carpet was 8' x 46' , there were people that wondered how a family of 11 could sleep in it. So the model had a plexie glass top so the floor plan and sleeping areas were viewable.

Pic#1 Boys rear bunk room, Shower bathroom and double bunk beds

Pic#2 Storage and bedrooms

Pic#3. Double bunks

Pic#4. Kitchen and living area
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2019, 12:02 AM   #46
trfour

By the way, this model trailer actually has many more miles on it than The Real Magic Carpet did, as it has been shipped back and fourth across the Country several times to different Siblings homes, as well as the Big Photo album Life gave us...

Pic#5. Front living area.
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2019, 01:20 PM   #47
trfour

Post Security Rest Stop +

Aftah a rest stop, we crossed ovah the California state line and us siblings performed an all out California Gold Rush! Nevah found even an old gold watch, so my guess was that someone mustah beat us to it...
And, Not A Resume Photo.
Attached Images

Last edited by trfour; 05-04-2019 at 07:31 PM.
moose tracks (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 07:37 PM   #48
trfour

Post Gypsy Spirit??

Another reason for our journey to California was that Mom had three Sister's that lived there, so six more Aunt's and Uncle's for us to spend some time with.

Pic#2. Aunt Sarah, Zbra and Brother's Fred and Bob.
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2019, 10:42 PM   #49
trfour

Our 4,376 mile and 34 day trek across the country ended on the evening of July 6, 1952 when we pulled into the Airport Trailer Village in Westchester, CA, a suburb west of Los Angeles. There was a warm welcome party at Aunt Betty and Uncle Mark's house in Westchester. We were there only a week and moved to Artesia, southeast of Los Angeles.

Side Note; There was a Take Out Restaurant at the Airport Trailer Village that had THE BEST fried Jumbo shrimp On This Planet!!
Pic#1. . Hey Man, Don't be Shoot'in the Breeze over here, Get Us Off'in The Highway!!!!
Attached Images

moose tracks (04-23-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 11:10 PM   #50
trfour

Palms Galore... Getty Images bought the rights to Life Magazine, they also got many of the photos that Life took of our journey west on undeveloped film. I registered at their website and they gave me some that they had since developed. This is one of them.
Life's guesstimate of all of the photos they took was HUGE, many more than they gave us in the photo album after the story in the magazine was published.
Attached Images

Last edited by trfour; 04-27-2019 at 01:27 AM.