Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2015, 07:39 PM   #1
secondcurve

Default Firewood

Who is selling seasoned firewood in the Tuftonboro/Wolfeboro area now? The guy I was using for several years appears to have gone out of business. I'd like to get my wood now to avoid the fall rush.

Thanks
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:03 PM   #2
capybarus

Default Kinville Logging

Check with Chris Kinville (603) 534-7017 from Kinville Logging in Brookfield. He has been supplying us with firewood in Wolfeboro for a number of years and has always been reliable. However, I usually get green wood in spring (it gets seasoned enough by Nov/Dec), so not sure if he sells already seasoned.
capybarus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capybarus For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (08-15-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 08:28 AM   #3
patman

Thanks to no response to calls weeks ago to our regular firewood guy, I am now late searching for a new supplier. I've called several other places in the past week and come up empty. Looking for up to 4 seasoned cords delivered to the Wolfeboro/Tuftonboro area.

Names and contact info appreciated...
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:51 PM   #4
secondcurve

I came up short and had to settle for semi-seasoned wood that was cut in May. I hope to use my remaining older stuff and not get to the newer cord wood until Jan-Feb. I am buying green wood next spring. It is tough out there!
Old 09-17-2015, 07:45 PM   #5
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
I came up short and had to settle for semi-seasoned wood that was cut in May. I hope to use my remaining older stuff and not get to the newer cord wood until Jan-Feb. I am buying green wood next spring. It is tough out there!
I'd mix your wood as a few months won't make much difference in seasoning hardwood.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (09-18-2015)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2015, 08:30 PM   #6
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I'd mix your wood as a few months won't make much difference in seasoning hardwood.

How long must wood sit before it is considered "seasoned"?
Old 09-18-2015, 09:06 PM   #7
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
How long must wood sit before it is considered "seasoned"?
Depends on the conditions--exposed, dry air, wind, sun, etc.--but hardwood takes a good two years and softwood one.

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (09-20-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 10:33 AM   #8
dpg

With so many people seemingly out there "begging" to buy it why don't suppliers just ramp up their production? Guess it's not so easy I'm sure but it seems like their missing the boat and missing out on some good money. Is the problem simply a shortage, just lack of "dried" wood or what? Guess I don't totally understand. Are suppliers also "tree people" so when tree work slows down does their supply slow down???
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:59 AM   #9
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
With so many people seemingly out there "begging" to buy it why don't suppliers just ramp up their production? Guess it's not so easy I'm sure but it seems like their missing the boat and missing out on some good money. Is the problem simply a shortage, just lack of "dried" wood or what? Guess I don't totally understand. Are suppliers also "tree people" so when tree work slows down does their supply slow down???
Green wood is almost always readily available, but since real seasoning takes a couple years, there's less of it available. And most wood sold as seasoned isn't--it's usually only a few months old or the logs sat outside for a year before being split.

Unless paying full boat for kiln dried, burners are better off ordering green way ahead of time and use when necessary--this winter looks like it might be cheaper to use oil.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:34 PM   #10
wifi

I order off the stump wood middle of the summer, let it sit in the sun in my yard during the summer, then am stacking it presently in the basement. We use a salamander for the final dry during the late fall, pre-heating season. We use common sense fire protection with this method.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:47 PM   #11
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
I order off the stump wood middle of the summer, let it sit in the sun in my yard during the summer, then am stacking it presently in the basement. We use a salamander for the final dry during the late fall, pre-heating season. We use common sense fire protection with this method.
You lost me. Off the stump = logs? Salamander?
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:27 AM   #12
wifi

off the stump is when the tree was cut. A salamander heater, such as: http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...ander%20heater
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:32 PM   #13
DickR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
I order off the stump wood middle of the summer, let it sit in the sun in my yard during the summer, then am stacking it presently in the basement. We use a salamander for the final dry during the late fall, pre-heating season.
Do I understand you to mean that you use a kerosene-fired heater inside the house to heat the wood in the hopes of drying it, sort of "kiln drying?" That's inviting a pile of CO into the house, not to mention the introduction of all that water vapor from combustion within the house. Also, the drying of wood is a very slow, diffusion-based process that doesn't seem to be hastened effectively by some external heat. Please tell us I misundertand.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote