Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 11:07 AM   #301
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
That's not exactly true. For a while and maybe still they did put right on the tax card extra for the "view". In the old days you were taxed more for a view but it didn't get "spelled" out. That is why so many people got very upset in recent years, when they realized they were actually paying for their view.
The Town of Gilford does not have a view tax and the City of Laconia has never had a view tax.

In Gilford, if you are on the water it is assumed that you have a view and it is not spelled out or listed on your tax card. There may be properties, not on the water, that have "view" listed on their tax card for purposes of determining the value of the property but there is not a "view tax". Although the view may be used to help determine what the value of your property is, the assessed value is determined by the overall value of the property. The current Equalization Rate in Gilford is 95.9% and the tax rate is $17.26 per thousand.

I have properties on the water in Gilford and Laconia and the view is not now, and has never been, mentioned anywhere in the assessment including on the tax card.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:17 AM   #302
Momo

Smile A Have-Not

Clearly posted by a “Have-Not” verses the “Haves”
The Following User Says Thank You to Momo For This Useful Post:
Reilly (07-31-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 11:49 AM   #303
loonguy

Although I am relieved that The Dive is not parking, and highly unlikely to ever park, in my backyard, I do not view this as a NIMBY issue. It is really an issue of how a state resource such as the Lake, which is in the nature of a park, should be used. It is more of a zoning issue, recognizing what is appropriate and respectful of the resource and all that use it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to loonguy For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-30-2018), noreast (07-30-2018), thinkxingu (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 12:10 PM   #304
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo View Post
Clearly posted by a “Have-Not” verses the “Haves”
LOL, clearly a TIC comment - and assuming it was directed at me. You've made it abundantly clear how pleasant you are. Don't pass judgement on things you clearly don't know anything about.

Be happy for what you have and if it doesn't meet your need then I say again do something about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to HellRaZoR004 For This Useful Post:
DoTheMath (08-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 12:12 PM   #305
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
You can clearly tell it's a Monday...very cranky bunch with a clear NIMBY agenda. The same story with the speed limit, I don't like it so therefore lets pass a regulation so others can't enjoy the resource.

Instead of complaining on the forum do something. If you don't like it and think it impacts your quality of life, well then you should not have purchased land on a public waterway. If you really believe it impacts your "view tax" then I'm sure you could easily sell it for a discount.
No need for insults or personal sniping. The majority of the critical posts are from people who are nowhere near Smalls, and prior to the shortcomings becoming apparent, virtually all the posts were interested/supportive.

Also, before you accuse others of having an agenda to keep you from "enjoy(ing) the resource", you might ask yourself whether your neon sign or 80mph boat makes it difficult for them to enjoy the resource.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-30-2018), Momo (07-30-2018), thinkxingu (07-30-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2018, 12:15 PM   #306
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
The Town of Gilford does not have a view tax and the City of Laconia has never had a view tax.

In Gilford, if you are on the water it is assumed that you have a view and it is not spelled out or listed on your tax card. There may be properties, not on the water, that have "view" listed on their tax card for purposes of determining the value of the property but there is not a "view tax". Although the view may be used to help determine what the value of your property is, the assessed value is determined by the overall value of the property. The current Equalization Rate in Gilford is 95.9% and the tax rate is $17.26 per thousand.

I have properties on the water in Gilford and Laconia and the view is not now, and has never been, mentioned anywhere in the assessment including on the tax card.
You should read this thread. I think you will find it interesting.

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ment#post45649
Old 07-30-2018, 12:30 PM   #307
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
No need for insults or personal sniping. The majority of the critical posts are from people who are nowhere near Smalls, and prior to the shortcomings becoming apparent, virtually all the posts were interested/supportive.

Also, before you accuse others of having an agenda to keep you from "enjoy(ing) the resource", you might ask yourself whether your neon sign or 80mph boat makes it difficult for them to enjoy the resource.
You make some valid points. A lot of people are for it, some are against it. Those in the vicinity of where it's been for the past week are very vocal about being against it.

BTW - I personally love hearing and seeing the GFBL boats, and I recognize others don't. At some point we all need to find a happy medium, but creating a law seems overly restrictive (which is where this thread is headed).
The Following User Says Thank You to HellRaZoR004 For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 01:02 PM   #308
The Real BigGuy

I wouldn’t be surprised if, just like no rafting zone regs, something gets a hearing in January and severe limits are put on the Dive. I am a waterfront owner and sure wouldn’t want it in front of my place every night.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 01:54 PM   #309
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
I wouldn’t be surprised if, just like no rafting zone regs, something gets a hearing in January and severe limits are put on the Dive. I am a waterfront owner and sure wouldn’t want it in front of my place every night.

Perfect - so absolutely cripple a business venture and material investment of some young entrepreneurs because they obeyed the law and obtained all necessary permits/approvals.

I get the frustration from the landowner perspective even though it doesn't affect me, but maybe the landowner should've fought for a law before something like this happened. It's a slippery slope but the fact is these people were first to capture this opportunity and the landowners are behind. In my eyes, it wouldn't be fair to cripple the monetary amounts and time invested by these folks that started this business.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:32 PM   #310
codeman671

I like the concept and welcome it on the lake, however would be pissed if it was in front of my property every day. I assume they are still working out the bugs, and on better weather days they will venture out further. I am sure in Braun Bay this would do well. Its just a matter of getting it there. Leave early and stay late. If they tried to travel towards the Weirs Channel on a busy Saturday afternoon they are going to be in rough shape. Get there early and boat the crew out separately from a closer location so they are not eating so much in labor while traveling (unless they have guests along for the ride).

Lets face it, the weather hasn't been great for the last week. If on every nice weekend this is sitting at West Alton they better rethink their plan.
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
Momdip (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 03:18 PM   #311
noreast

If they got this approved without stating that it will be in this spot only there is no way in hell it would get approved, if it did and the land owners weren't notified, then they have every right to be pissed. I don't think they built this thing to sit at that sandbar only, That would be insane. Any one who calls this a NIMBY issues is full of crap, you would complain just as much.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to noreast For This Useful Post:
dippasan (08-01-2018), Momdip (07-31-2018), thinkxingu (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 03:37 PM   #312
rsmlp

Quote:
You can clearly tell it's a Monday...very cranky bunch with a clear NIMBY agenda. The same story with the speed limit, I don't like it so therefore lets pass a regulation so others can't enjoy the resource.

Instead of complaining on the forum do something. If you don't like it and think it impacts your quality of life, well then you should not have purchased land on a public waterway. If you really believe it impacts your "view tax" then I'm sure you could easily sell it for a discount.
The forum is 80% bitch session and 20% other. There are people out there literally trolling for a comment to invect upon. Sad but reliable responses as I'm sure will follow this one.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rsmlp For This Useful Post:
Cal Coon (07-30-2018), Descant (07-31-2018), HellRaZoR004 (07-30-2018), Shreddy (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 03:50 PM   #313
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
If they got this approved without stating that it will be in this spot only there is no way in hell it would get approved, if it did and the land owners weren't notified, then they have every right to be pissed. I don't think they built this thing to sit at that sandbar only, That would be insane. Any one who calls this a NIMBY issues is full of crap, you would complain just as much.
This statement makes absolutely zero sense...consider re-wording if you're trying to state that it wouldn't have been approved if they stated it would only stay in one place.

Separately - why do the landowners need to be notified if this is a vessel on the water?
Old 07-30-2018, 04:10 PM   #314
Outdoorsman

I stand by my NIMBY comment above, that being said....

This business will have about 6 weeks of operation this season. Technically a ground-up build with no real chance to "shake out the bugs" other than to operate for a short [less than 2 months] season.

To spend that time testing what various land owners near various sand bars think of the business is [silly]. A better effort would be to spend those short weeks to see what improvements need to be made to keep the business viable.

I do agree that they should factor in the desires of various land owners, but I doubt many would give them a "thumbs up". Lucky for them, The State of NH and its citizens owns the water.
The Following User Says Thank You to Outdoorsman For This Useful Post:
HellRaZoR004 (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 04:24 PM   #315
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonguy View Post
Although I am relieved that The Dive is not parking, and highly unlikely to ever park, in my backyard, I do not view this as a NIMBY issue. It is really an issue of how a state resource such as the Lake, which is in the nature of a park, should be used. It is more of a zoning issue, recognizing what is appropriate and respectful of the resource and all that use it.
I would LOVE to see your "Zoning" proposal for each and every city/town with waterfront access.

Edit:
Not just Winnipesaukee.... that would be "unfair" to others.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:47 PM   #316
noreast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddy View Post
This statement makes absolutely zero sense...consider re-wording if you're trying to state that it wouldn't have been approved if they stated it would only stay in one place.

Separately - why do the landowners need to be notified if this is a vessel on the water?
It's a little more than a vessel on the water, Making a statement like that invalidates any opinion you offer. Would they notify them if they said the Mount is going to parked there forever? I meant exactly what i said.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:52 PM   #317
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
Perfect - so absolutely cripple a business venture and material investment of some young entrepreneurs because they obeyed the law and obtained all necessary permits/approvals.

I get the frustration from the landowner perspective even though it doesn't affect me, but maybe the landowner should've fought for a law before something like this happened. It's a slippery slope but the fact is these people were first to capture this opportunity and the landowners are behind. In my eyes, it wouldn't be fair to cripple the monetary amounts and time invested by these folks that started this business.
You misunderstand my point. Almost every year it seems a group of property owners get together to petition for a no rafting zone and the DES/state schedule the hearing in December or January when no one is around to oppose. With no opposition it passes. I can see the same thing happening with the Dive if the continue to anchor in the same place, bothering the same people.

My other comment: I own waterfront but nowhere near where they are. I wouldn’t want them in front of me.

In the long run, I think the issues will be resolved during re-permitting. This is obviously a new and different venture and the state didn’t know all the questions to be asked or what all the issues might be. After several months of operation they will be better informed.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:16 PM   #318
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
You misunderstand my point. Almost every year it seems a group of property owners get together to petition for a no rafting zone and the DES/state schedule the hearing in December or January when no one is around to oppose. With no opposition it passes. I can see the same thing happening with the Dive if the continue to anchor in the same place, bothering the same people.

My other comment: I own waterfront but nowhere near where they are. I wouldn’t want them in front of me.

In the long run, I think the issues will be resolved during re-permitting. This is obviously a new and different venture and the state didn’t know all the questions to be asked or what all the issues might be. After several months of operation they will be better informed.

I know I would be pi$$ed if it was parked all day in front of my waterfront home. I don't think it should have been permitted in the first place but now that it is and they hear the complaints hopefully the issues can be resolved.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:41 PM   #319
loonguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
I would LOVE to see your "Zoning" proposal for each and every city/town with waterfront access.

Edit:
Not just Winnipesaukee.... that would be "unfair" to others.
The details are beyond my pay grade and expertise. The issue will not be resolved in this forum. I will rely on those directly affected to bring the issue before the appropriate public officials and I look forward to seeing their response.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loonguy For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-31-2018), Reilly (07-31-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 06:22 PM   #320
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I know I would be pi$$ed if it was parked all day in front of my waterfront home. I don't think it should have been permitted in the first place but now that it is and they hear the complaints hopefully the issues can be resolved.
If you are of the opinion that it should not have been permitted there would need to be a valid legal reason to deny them. I don't want to see them on my favorite sandbar or anchored in front of my house is not sufficient reason to stop them from their business venture.

If they did get denied in the future for the renewal of any of the necessary food, alcohol, or other permits they could point to the Mt Washington and claim they were doing the same thing (selling food and alcohol) but in a different manner. That might give them significant legal grounds to stand up to any challenge.

If it is a financial success, and that remains to be seen, it will take violations of regulations or other significant complaints with a legal basis to stop them from continuing to do business. Otherwise it is here to stay.

Only time will tell.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Outdoorsman (07-30-2018), Shreddy (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 06:30 PM   #321
The Real BigGuy

There is a big difference from the Mount. The Mount is always moving and not anchored in front of someone’s home. If you think storefront homeowner input won’t make a difference you don’t know NH.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
noreast (07-31-2018), thinkxingu (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 06:43 PM   #322
Rinkerguy

For those of you worried about the Dive parking in your backyard, worry not. They are doing a booming business in Smalls Cove, and indicated they aren’t Going anywhere soon. They were packed with patrons both Saturday and Sunday, and why go elsewhere. Great business idea, and why not let them win or fail with their business plan.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:45 PM   #323
Shreddy

Quote:
There is a big difference from the Mount. The Mount is always moving and not anchored in front of someone’s home. If you think storefront homeowner input won’t make a difference you don’t know NH.

I'm struggling to understand why? What ownership interest in the water does a waterfront owner have?

Look, I'm not here to troll and I genuinely feel for anyone personally affected by this as I would agree that I would generally not want this anchored in front of my little piece of heaven if I was fortunate enough to have one on the lake. With that said, this thing is only piloting the more popular sandbars (from limited experience and from following their FB posts) on a limited basis throughout the summer. With that said, those areas are already well settled by boaters so I don't know why having a cool barge there is a big difference.

The one legitimate concern I can understand and haven't seen is the alleged spinning light up sign. If that thing is twirling after dark, I'd be against it as well unless maybe a sanctioned night event cruise or something.

In sum, I don't have a dog in this fight as I don't own waterfront and this isn't on "MY" part of the lake - you know, the one that's MINE (see what I did there?). I feel for all sides and it seems there are three sides as I see it: (1) the young owners that invested a lot of time and money to get this thing underway in a legal and appropriate manner, (2) folks that venture the lake and have a genuine interest in patronizing this place because it seems pretty cool, and (3) the very few waterfront owners that do not own the lake but rather have to deal with a alleged "eye sore."

My guess would be that (1) and (2) above will significantly outweigh (3). Most others are essentially just keyboard warriors and a product of the dismal society we live in today. I say dismal because there's always a group out there that needs to find something to complain about even though it doesn't personally affect them (yes there are some in this thread).
Old 07-30-2018, 06:54 PM   #324
Cal Coon

Quote:

Unfortunately, you are right. It's not just NH though. It's this entire crybaby, sissified, entitlement, PC society that exists today. It only takes ONE complaint to change what has been our customs for years and years... PATHETIC. I'm afraid the Dive is done before it ever really got started. It just doesn't know it yet... I hope I'm wrong, but the crybabies always seem to get their way, and it's just not right. We have worked so hard, for so long, to make life so easy, that it is starting to come back around to bite us in the a##, and man o man are we paying for it now... Good luck to the Dive, I hope you survive.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cal Coon For This Useful Post:
gravy boat (07-31-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 07:00 PM   #325
Sam603

Luckily for every Winnipesaukee waterfront owner the Dive has every intention to make the rounds to all the sandbars, they are also capable of getting thru the channel in Paugus Bay by lowering their sign. I Wish them the best but am also glad it won’t be out front at my place, I wouldn’t live near a sand bar

The Following User Says Thank You to Sam603 For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-31-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 07:15 PM   #326
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
Unfortunately, you are right. It's not just NH though. It's this entire crybaby, sissified, entitlement, PC society that exists today. It only takes ONE complaint to change what has been our customs for years and years... PATHETIC. I'm afraid the Dive is done before it ever really got started. It just doesn't know it yet... I hope I'm wrong, but the crybabies always seem to get their way, and it's just not right. We have worked so hard, for so long, to make life so easy, that it is starting to come back around to bite us in the a##, and man o man are we paying for it now... Good luck to the Dive, I hope you survive.
Simply changing locations on a daily basis would probably make this issue go away.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
erick26 (07-30-2018), thinkxingu (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 07:30 PM   #327
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Simply changing locations on a daily basis would probably make this issue go away.

^ This!

JUST. BE. THOUGHTFUL. OF. OTHERS.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2018, 07:37 PM   #328
Just Sold

OK many do not like the Dive off of their waterfront and others are really happy it is there. My question is does local zoning enter into the equation since they only anchor in Smalls Cove which is in Alton? Yes, the lake is state controlled and is there a state regulation regarding (stationary) food businesses in public waterways? I take no position on either of these questions as I do not have the answers.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:55 PM   #329
Shreddy

Quote:
It's a little more than a vessel on the water, Making a statement like that invalidates any opinion you offer. Would they notify them if they said the Mount is going to parked there forever? I meant exactly what i said.
Okay captain - go back and re-read the first sentence you wrote in the post that I quoted. You tell me whether that makes sense...but yet any opinion I offer is invalidated.........

Here - I'll repost it here so you don't have to go back again:

Quote:
If they got this approved without stating that it will be in this spot only there is no way in hell it would get approved, if it did and the land owners weren't notified, then they have every right to be pissed.

Last edited by Shreddy; 07-30-2018 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:27 PM   #330
FlyingScot

Quote:

I hope the entrepreneurs do not suffer a loss. But if they do get reined in, most of the fault is their own for not anticipating the blowback.

I'm confused by your second paragraph and not sure how you expect the landowners to anticipate every eventuality that they might not like, and then preemptively push for laws against them, but I am sure that would lead to more regulation. That leaves the landowners behind, as you say, but not powerless.

Maybe is was not fair (or prudent) of The Dive to invest/open without a community meeting so that all could understand the pros and cons before money was put on the line?
Old 07-30-2018, 08:41 PM   #331
Shreddy

Quote:
I hope the entrepreneurs do not suffer a loss. But if they do get reined in, most of the fault is their own for not anticipating the blowback.

I'm confused by your second paragraph and not sure how you expect the landowners to anticipate every eventuality that they might not like, and then preemptively push for laws against them, but I am sure that would lead to more regulation. That leaves the landowners behind, as you say, but not powerless.

Maybe is was not fair (or prudent) of The Dive to invest/open without a community meeting so that all could understand the pros and cons before money was put on the line?
Yep - agree with you with almost everything stated. As a business owner, regulations can always impact a business (e.g., gun regulation forces people to flock to buy but a speed limit on a lake known for speed boats can force them out and crush that speed boat market). That last parens is not meant to spark debate but to illustrate an example. It's exactly as I stated, a slippery slope. Fact is there is always going to be folks unhappy.

This is a small business with a cool concept that people are very attracted to. It would be a shame if a very few minority took it down.

Only part I don't agree with is the open community forum...First, why let others dictate how to run a business that you legally want to run? Second, why give someone else the opportunity to replicate before you (here, likely minimal risk...but it's still a risk). And third, having that open forum allows others the opportunity to kill the concept before it begins. At least now they have a tried, true and legal business concept that is working. Hopefully they can pocket some profit before the debbie downers figure out a way to ruin another fun aspect of the lake.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:15 PM   #332
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Who's the whiner?

So there are maybe 5-6 landowners who might be impacted by the Dive, and they are ALL upset and complaining on the Forum? Doubtful. Who has identified themselves as such?
Before I retired, I recall occasional complaints about my business or a product. I also remember that I did business with the complainer's friends and neighbors who said. "I'm a solid customer. That guy complains about everything, and everybody knows he's just a whiner. Don't listen to that #$%&()." Good advice from lots of good clients.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
erick26 (07-31-2018), Reilly (07-31-2018), Shreddy (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 04:10 AM   #333
Cal Coon

Quote:

I hope you are right, but I doubt it because there seems to be an abundance of chronic complainers and whiners no matter what you do, or where you go these days, in every aspect of life, and in this case, EVERYBODY THINKS THEY OWN THE LAKE.
gravy boat (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 06:12 AM   #334
noreast

The only complaint I've seen is it being in the same place all the time, Someone above said that's not going to be the case, which I always believed. Are there any other issues?
Old 07-31-2018, 06:15 AM   #335
gravy boat

Default The dive

First. World. Problems.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gravy boat For This Useful Post:
erick26 (07-31-2018), gillygirl (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 06:28 AM   #336
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
If you are of the opinion that it should not have been permitted there would need to be a valid legal reason to deny them. I don't want to see them on my favorite sandbar or anchored in front of my house is not sufficient reason to stop them from their business venture.

If they did get denied in the future for the renewal of any of the necessary food, alcohol, or other permits they could point to the Mt Washington and claim they were doing the same thing (selling food and alcohol) but in a different manner. That might give them significant legal grounds to stand up to any challenge.

If it is a financial success, and that remains to be seen, it will take violations of regulations or other significant complaints with a legal basis to stop them from continuing to do business. Otherwise it is here to stay.

Only time will tell.
I'm just siding with the people that own waterfront property and have to look out at this all day and night. I don't own waterfront on Winni so it doesn't effect me but I can understand their frustration.
If it's moved around the lake on a rotating basis then that might ease a lot of the backlash.
Everyone is worried about the investment these business owners have made but what about the investment that these home owners have in their property? I think there should have been more oversight on the building of this vessel before it was issued permits.
Like I said, I have no dog in this fight, thank god!. I'm just giving my opinion.
Businesses rise an fail all the time. It's a gamble so time will tell if this gamble survives.
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
erick26 (08-01-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 06:34 AM   #337
Shreddy

Quote:
I'm just siding with the people that own waterfront property and have to look out at this all day and night. I don't own waterfront on Winni so it doesn't effect me but I can understand their frustration.
If it's moved around the lake on a rotating basis then that might ease a lot of the backlash.
Everyone is worried about the investment these business owners have made but what about the investment that these home owners have in their property? I think there should have been more oversight on the building of this vessel before it was issued permits.
Like I said, I have no dog in this fight, thank god!. I'm just giving my opinion.
Businesses rise an fail all the time. It's a gamble so time will tell if this gamble survives.
This is the problem though, we have people with no interest complaining because they're "sympathetic" to homeowners of which we don't even know if they're bothered by it. Again, this forum and society now has to have something to complain about. Why stir the pot if there is no vested interest or no hard complaints. Nobody can just be happy with this something new cool and exciting that most genuinely appreciate.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:55 AM   #338
Joebon

Maybe there are some local lawyers on here (I know we have a lot that play one on here) that can shed some light, but how do you obtain approval to operate a business on the lake if the lake is state owned? Is this similar to a food truck or ice cream truck pulling into a state park or do you have to obtain a license or concession?

It seems that the dive is limited to sandbar locations due to the need to walk up to it. I can’t see getting upset with it coming to the beach in front of someone’s house because there wouldn’t be enough potential customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2018, 07:02 AM   #339
Biggd

Quote:
This is the problem though, we have people with no interest complaining because they're "sympathetic" to homeowners of which we don't even know if they're bothered by it. Again, this forum and society now has to have something to complain about. Why stir the pot if there is no vested interest or no hard complaints. Nobody can just be happy with this something new cool and exciting that most genuinely appreciate.
Why should everyone just be happy with it? How do you know it's "genuinely appreciated"? Did you take a survey of the people using this service or did you take a survey of everyone on the lake? Or do you just count the ya's and na's on the forum?
I guess we really won't know until it get's through the summer and see where it stands next season.
Anyways, this is what public forums are for. If you don't like other peoples opinions then you shouldn't visit them. There are always going to be people for and against.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:26 AM   #340
Momo

Default Entrepreneurs or Irreverent

Eye sore, NIMBY, taxes aside.... what about a business permitted by the State of NH that advertises “Day-Drinking” for boaters? (See links below from their own website). Is their promotional item as well as their post which references “Day-Drinking” good for Lake Winnipesaukee (not Just waterfront homeowners)?
I am hardly a tee-totaler and enjoy many of our local establishments - none of which blantently promote drinking and boating. Some may say TIC “at least The Dive is only promoting Day-Drinking and not promoting Night-Drinking”, but there is no humor in this. Just ask anyone who has been injured or lost a loved one due to alcohol related boating accidents.
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2018, 07:49 AM   #341
Seaplane Pilot

Default Time to start another non-profit lobbying group....

I shall name it: "WINNFABAFBPIFOMP"

Winnipesaukee
Farts
Against
Big
Ass
Food
Barges
Parked
In
Front
Of
My
Property

Our motto will be: "Chinese School Has Just Begun, No More Laughing, No More Fun..."

If this concept sounds pathetic, that's because it is!
Old 07-31-2018, 08:50 AM   #342
Shreddy

Quote:
Why should everyone just be happy with it? How do you know it's "genuinely appreciated"? Did you take a survey of the people using this service or did you take a survey of everyone on the lake? Or do you just count the ya's and na's on the forum?
I guess we really won't know until it get's through the summer and see where it stands next season.
Anyways, this is what public forums are for. If you don't like other peoples opinions then you shouldn't visit them. There are always going to be people for and against.
You missed the point. There are numerous people against this for a reason that (1) doesn't affect them and (2) think it affects someone else even though there are no legitimate waterfront stakeholders voicing concern.

Based on initial reviews/updates here and on facebook, this business appears to be off to a successful start yet there seems to be a group here that is offended by such due to it being an "eye sore."

If it's remitting oil in the lake, I think that's a legitimate concern. Being out late without a sanctioned event, sure, legitimate concern. Promoting "day drinking" - let's be honest, I'll bet a good majority of the lake enjoys a few drinks while out on the lake and many boats have at least a handful of folks in the boat. That doesn't mean each boat doesn't have a designated captain (even though we'd like to hope it's the case). Again, just another empty complaint.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:03 AM   #343
Biggd

Good luck to all the home owners that have to deal with it. They just have to suck it up because "they don't own the lake". This is one of the reasons you rarely see homes go up for sale on Squam Lake.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:21 AM   #344
FlyingScot

Quote:
This is the problem though, we have people with no interest complaining because they're "sympathetic" to homeowners of which we don't even know if they're bothered by it.
You keep asking for it both ways:

If it was in my back yard, I'd be a NIMBYer. But if it's not in my back yard I have no right to voice my opinion. So apparently it's never OK to speak up.

This is similar to the post that said homeowners should have made a law beforehand combined with your opinion that we have too many rules.

You ask for people to lighten up, but your posts leave no room for compromise.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-01-2018), noreast (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 09:25 AM   #345
SIKSUKR

I would bet that if the Dive looked more like your average boating vessel and not the tall boxy structure it is, there would be a lot less opposition. I actually wondered when they were building it why the need to go so high. fwiw The Willy T in the BVI's is actually going through a similar situation. The last big hurricane destroyed it and the owner bought a new one but the gov. wont let them back in the cove they anchored in for so long because of new development in what was barren shoreline. I believe they have found a new spot.
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2018, 09:30 AM   #346
Biggd

Quote:

If it was in my back yard, I'd be a NIMBYer. But if it's not in my back yard I have no right to voice my opinion. So apparently it's never OK to speak up.

This is similar to the post that said homeowners should have made a law beforehand combined with your opinion that we have too many rules.

There are people out there that don't like laws and don't like rules. They think everyone should be able to do what ever they want when ever they want without restrictions. Isn't that why everyone comes to NH, "live free or die"? Well in a perfect world where everyone was nice and respectful of others that would work. But we all know there is no such thing as a perfect world.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:44 AM   #347
noreast

Quote:

Exactly, And the argument that it only effects a few people so others shouldn't speak up is just stupid and anti social. Why speak up to help out friends and neighbors (or strangers for that matter) because it doesn't effect you.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:49 AM   #348
Woodsy

Default Negativity RULES!

The amount of NIMBY that is posted is just crazy!

I don't recall any houses along the shoreline of the West Alton Sandbar.... (1 house down at the far eastern end of the cove). I was under the impression that the waterfront there is owned by the West Alton Marina... So if the marina isn't bitching... why do you care?

Woodsy
Shreddy (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 09:58 AM   #349
noreast

If you're asking me, I really don't care. This is a theoretical argument at this point since I don't think it's going to park there all the time. I just respond when people make ignorant comments. Nothing wrong with a good argument.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:14 AM   #350
chasedawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I would bet that if the Dive looked more like your average boating vessel and not the tall boxy structure it is, there would be a lot less opposition. I actually wondered when they were building it why the need to go so high. fwiw The Willy T in the BVI's is actually going through a similar situation. The last big hurricane destroyed it and the owner bought a new one but the gov. wont let them back in the cove they anchored in for so long because of new development in what was barren shoreline. I believe they have found a new spot.
That's the old Willy T. It is now moored on Cooper Island.

Now back to the Dive.....
Old 07-31-2018, 10:25 AM   #351
fatlazyless

Default .... install a big bright sail atop The Dive?

Say ..... the photos above of the Willy T come from the British Virgin Islands and the Willie T got badly damaged by a hurricane or two, last September, 2017. It has been rebuilt, but the new Willy T has been reborn without the sailing masts and now looks more like a motor yacht than a sailing yacht.

Here's an article from the Press Herald newspaper in Maine: August, 2014; https://www.pressherald.com/2014/08/...loating-feast/ ... (13-photos) ...... about a one women lunch boat business in a classic 20' open Maine motor launch that she putt-putts around and about Penobscot Bay. Someone could duplicate that business here on Lake Winnipesaukee and maybe do business in the same sand bar area at the entrance to West Alton Marina as The Dive. Competition is what makes America great ..... someone once said! ...... no, on second thought ..... this will never-ever happen ...... Lake Winnipesaukee is a long, long, long way from Penobscot Bay, over in Maine.

So, who knows, but maybe if this floating restaurant-bar barge, The Dive, were to install a sail mast with a big colorful sail high atop the barge structure ...... it could dress itself up with a more nautical look ....... maybe a huge yellow and orange striped main sail or something to create that sail boat look from afar .....down the lake ... to make it look more like a boat ..... and less like a floating fast food, restaurant-bar that remains in one spot all the time ...... The Dive.

It needs a big sail .....yeah ..... that's what it needs to make it look more like a boat ...... it needs a sail!

And, it would be appreciated and revered as a long time Lake Winnipesaukee icon ......... forever after ..... definitely ........ ugh!
Old 07-31-2018, 10:32 AM   #352
Shreddy

Quote:
Exactly, And the argument that it only effects a few people so others shouldn't speak up is just stupid and anti social. Why speak up to help out friends and neighbors (or strangers for that matter) because it doesn't effect you.
Where are the known people negatively affected that have personally stated they are affected? Everyone here is a trying to solve a "problem" that doesn't exist yet...again, nothing but negative people who have nothing better to do but complain.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:34 AM   #353
Shreddy

Quote:

Why do you need to voice your opinion if it doesn't affect you because it isn't in your back yard and there are no known people negatively affected by this? That is the point I'm making. Give it a chance - people are more focused on how to take this business down than figuring out how to appreciate something that may add value to others.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:28 AM   #354
iw8surf

Quote:
Why do you need to voice your opinion if it doesn't affect you because it isn't in your back yard and there are no known people negatively affected by this? That is the point I'm making. Give it a chance - people are more focused on how to take this business down than figuring out how to appreciate something that may add value to others.

My only qualm is they need to set a schedule and stick with it. I think having a plan a week out or so will allow people to plan and actually set a way of going there and enjoying it. Following their facebook group there is a lot of back and forth of "we thought we'd be out at this time but we were late" etc. I like the concept if it all works smoothly, I have seen similar things be successful on other lakes out west and down south.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:33 AM   #355
winni83

Quote:
Quite simple really. As has been often emphasized, the Lake, at least up to shoreline and subject to riparian and littoral rights, is owned by the State of New Hampshire for the use and benefit of its residents. So eventhough it may not be in my, or other posters’ backyard, I and they have every right to comment and express an opinion on the operation of The Dive, whether positive or negative.
The Following User Says Thank You to winni83 For This Useful Post:
Momo (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 11:35 AM   #356
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Why do you need to voice your opinion if it doesn't affect you because it isn't in your back yard and there are no known people negatively affected by this?
You have mentioned this several times. I guess you missed the posts in this thread from at least two property owners who have a view of this business in operation and have expressed opinions that aren't exactly complimentary.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:43 AM   #357
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by winni83 View Post
Quite simple really. As has been often emphasized, the Lake, at least up to shoreline and subject to riparian and littoral rights, is owned by the State of New Hampshire for the use and benefit of its residents. So eventhough it may not be in my, or other posters’ backyard, I and they have every right to comment and express an opinion on the operation of The Dive, whether positive or negative.
Exactly, especially when said business is profiting off of NH's resources.

It was mentioned above that the water surrounding The Dive was oily--has anyone heard or experienced this anywhere else?

Old 07-31-2018, 11:49 AM   #358
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by winni83 View Post
Alright - points taken, I guess I'm the minority here then. Back to figuring out how to destroy this business.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:00 PM   #359
Woodsy

Where is a WAAMBULANCE?

I am sure their original business model does not include just sitting in Smalls Cove all day selling drinks and burgers.... there is most certainly not enough business there to support the cost of the operation... especially after the initial curiosity wears off. Nor is there anywhere near the amount of parking space given its a "No Rafting" zone.

Most likely they want to work out the bugs before going all over. Also, I think they have the proper food/liquor permits for Alton, and the other towns on the lake haven't signed off yet.

That being said.... I have no sympathy at all for waterfront property owners who bought property on the borders of what is essentially a State Park.... then whine and complain about the people enjoying the park!

Some "poor" person on Sleepers Is is indignant because their view of people rafting and partying in Smalls Cove has been ruined by a party barge in Smalls Cove? Really? That's your argument?

Woodsy
gravy boat (08-01-2018), HellRaZoR004 (07-31-2018), Outdoorsman (07-31-2018), Reilly (08-01-2018), Shreddy (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 12:15 PM   #360
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
Where is a WAAMBULANCE?

I am sure their original business model does not include just sitting in Smalls Cove all day selling drinks and burgers.... there is most certainly not enough business there to support the cost of the operation... especially after the initial curiosity wears off. Nor is there anywhere near the amount of parking space given its a "No Rafting" zone.

Most likely they want to work out the bugs before going all over. Also, I think they have the proper food/liquor permits for Alton, and the other towns on the lake haven't signed off yet.

That being said.... I have no sympathy at all for waterfront property owners who bought property on the borders of what is essentially a State Park.... then whine and complain about the people enjoying the park!

Some "poor" person on Sleepers Is is indignant because their view of people rafting and partying in Smalls Cove has been ruined by a party barge in Smalls Cove? Really? That's your argument?

Woodsy
Careful what you say! They're all entitled to their opinion no matter what and will do whatever to take down this business and feel compassionate for landowners that aren't bothered.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:17 PM   #361
thinkxingu

Quote:
I have no sympathy at all for waterfront property owners who bought property on the borders of what is essentially a State Park.... then whine and complain about the people enjoying the park!

Woodsy
This conversation is becoming circular, but I'd be really upset to show up to White Lake State Park (or insert any other park you like) to find a noisy, cumbersome, flashy-lights hot dog Humvee in the parking lot or, even worse, at the summit.

In fact, I believe a proposal for a Mount Washington summit hotel is in this very process.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:22 PM   #362
The Real BigGuy

Quote:

Agreed

Old 07-31-2018, 12:32 PM   #363
The Real BigGuy

Just a thought, why don’t the owners acquire waterfront property and use it to dock the barge, park cars for patrons, provide livery service to the barge, and eliminate storefront owner complaints?

Old 07-31-2018, 12:59 PM   #364
Biggd

Quote:
Just a thought, why don’t the owners acquire waterfront property and use it to dock the barge, park cars for patrons, provide livery service to the barge, and eliminate storefront owner complaints?

No one is allowed to voice their position on this unless you are directly impacted by it or are in favor of it. Everything in opposition is "fake news". At least that's the message I'm getting here on this thread.

Last edited by Biggd; 07-31-2018 at 01:31 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
kawishiwi (07-31-2018), Momo (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 01:50 PM   #365
Outdoorsman

Park it in front of Southdown Shores and let the WOW trail users have access to it.

Problem solved!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Outdoorsman For This Useful Post:
noreast (07-31-2018), thinkxingu (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 02:06 PM   #366
CUINS

Went by the Dive on Monday and I have no skin in the game. My question is, isn't that a no rafting area? Ten years ago I would anchor there and watch MP come and ticket people for being to close to shore or to close to other boats. There was a time when kids would be crying as MP would be going through the boats and having people leave.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:08 PM   #367
Shreddy

Get this off our lake so it doesn't impact anyone and send it to Waukewan!
Old 07-31-2018, 02:20 PM   #368
Woodsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
This conversation is becoming circular, but I'd be really upset to show up to White Lake State Park (or insert any other park you like) to find a noisy, cumbersome, flashy-lights hot dog Humvee in the parking lot or, even worse, at the summit.

In fact, I believe a proposal for a Mount Washington summit hotel is in this very process.

I have no problem with anyone in "a noisy, cumbersome, flashy-lights hot dog Humvee" selling hot dogs or drinks in a parking lot of a State Park.... it boils down to supply & demand.If there is a demand for this product (The Dive) then it will thrive... if not, oh well... you win some lose some.

But all of this NIMBY stuff is crazy.... lots of people utilize the resources of the lake to make $$$.

Woodsy
Old 07-31-2018, 02:28 PM   #369
Biggd

Quote:
Get this off our lake so it doesn't impact anyone and send it to Waukewan!
Thankfully it's well protected from commercial exploitation because it's the town water supply. I can count on a clean and well protected lake for a long time. That's probably why the owner of the Mt Washington has his home on Waukewan. Maybe they can try Squam.
I guess I shouldn't be on here because it's the Winnipesaukee Forum. Only Winnipesaukians allowed.

Last edited by Biggd; 07-31-2018 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:23 PM   #370
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam603 View Post
Luckily for every Winnipesaukee waterfront owner the Dive has every intention to make the rounds to all the sandbars, they are also capable of getting thru the channel in Paugus Bay by lowering their sign. I Wish them the best but am also glad it won’t be out front at my place, I wouldn’t live near a sand bar

You think THIS...

Is going through THIS? Pics are out of sync but you get the idea...
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 03:33 PM   #371
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
You think THIS...

Is that like putting a square peg in a round hole? I'd like to be there when they try that!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (07-31-2018), Hillcountry (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 03:43 PM   #372
thinkxingu

Quote:
You think THIS...

I hope so. The best way to test would be to go reallll fast...

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 04:29 PM   #373
fatlazyless

Default lmost

Like ....... I can almost remember this like it was just yesterday except I wasn't born yet:

On August 12, 1940, the new to the lake, MS Mount Washington was about six inches too high to fit under that bridge, so its' bilge was filled with water to lower the ship and make it fit. Since then, it has never returned back under the bridge there.

www.lwhs.us/steam-mtwashhistory.htm

That was only 78 years ago, so was anyone on this forum there at the time and have a good photo to post with the Mount sliding under that bridge with just one inch or so to spare ........ picture that?

So, will the Mount Washington be dropping anchor at various sandbars around the lake and hauling people aboard who are so desperate for an adult beverage they'll pay 12-dollars for a cold Bud lite? Ugh ...... I so need a beer ..... thanks for stopping here ...... down the hatch ...... and bottoms up!
Old 07-31-2018, 04:34 PM   #374
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Like ....... I can almost remember this like it was just yesterday except I wasn't born yet:

On August 12, 1940, the new to the lake, MS Mount Washington was about six inches too high to fit under that bridge, so its' bilge was filled with water to lower the ship and make it fit. Since then, it has never returned back under the bridge there.
Now that is a great tidbit of information. Thanks for the contribution FLL

Old 07-31-2018, 04:57 PM   #375
jbolty

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post

www.lwhs.us/steam-mtwashhistory.htm

That was only 78 years ago, so was anyone on this forum there at the time and have a good photo to post with the Mount sliding under that bridge with just one inch or so to spare ........ picture that?

So, will the Mount Washington be dropping anchor at various sandbars around the lake and hauling people aboard who are so desperate for an adult beverage they'll pay 12-dollars for a cold Bud lite? Ugh ...... I so need a beer ..... thanks for stopping here ...... down the hatch ...... and bottoms up!
top was off

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/photop...ize=big&sort=1
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jbolty For This Useful Post:
erick26 (08-01-2018), fatlazyless (08-01-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 05:22 PM   #376
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Exactly, especially when said business is profiting off of NH's resources.

It was mentioned above that the water surrounding The Dive was oily--has anyone heard or experienced this anywhere else?

Someone is probably "planting" the oil around the Dive to help it succeed in failing! Just a hunch from all the love they must be feeling from this forum... FWIW, those of you that claim the Dive is an "eyesore", need to take a ride to the bowels of any city within 10 miles of Boston, or even some parts of Manchester, NH or Lawrence, Ma., and then tell me the Dive is an eyesore. Sometimes we ALL need a wakeup call. Careful what you wish for... So based on the "eyesore" logic here, someone that has a view of a tiny three season cottage that "needs work" can complain to the "powers that be" till the owner updates, or sells the "shack" that has been in the family for generations, and is loved "as is"... Is that where we are going here?? What about ugly boats, can we complain till there are no more ugly boats on the lake too??? I hate ugly boats. How about just plain old ugly, can we just get rid of all things ugly?? I don't want to see ugly. Where does it end...???

Last edited by Cal Coon; 07-31-2018 at 06:10 PM.
gravy boat (08-01-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 05:33 PM   #377
Taz

Default Dive

Quote:
Where is a WAAMBULANCE?

Woodsy
"before going all over?" So it was established that the most likely locations are sandbars so patrons can walk to it and there is a larger concentration of patrons. So that leaves Smalls Cove, Braun Bay and Margate sandbar. It has also been established that the Margate sandbar is not possible due to bridge and beam of the Dive. So that leaves Braun Bay. By their own accounts the dive is doing well at Smalls so why would you spend the time and gas money to travel to Braun Bay? So I ask again, where else are they going to go?
Old 07-31-2018, 05:40 PM   #378
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
"before going all over?" So it was established that the most likely locations are sandbars so patrons can walk to it and there is a larger concentration of patrons. So that leaves Smalls Cove, Braun Bay and Margate sandbar. It has also been established that the Margate sandbar is not possible due to bridge and beam of the Dive. So that leaves Braun Bay. By their own accounts the dive is doing well at Smalls so why would you spend the time and gas money to travel to Braun Bay? So I ask again, where else are they going to go?
Anywhere on the lake. Until you out of staters pass legislation saying otherwise...
Old 07-31-2018, 06:01 PM   #379
HellRaZoR004

How about Patrician, could do well there. I imagine they would burn a lot of fuel getting there though.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:19 PM   #380
Taz

Quote:
How about Patrician, could do well there. I imagine they would burn a lot of fuel getting there though.

Patrician not big enough to justify the time to get there or the gas.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:21 PM   #381
Taz

Quote:
Anywhere on the lake. Until you out of staters pass legislation saying otherwise...
Anywhere on the lake is not a money maker, only a large sandbar will work and i'm not an out of stater.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:38 PM   #382
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Anywhere on the lake is not a money maker, only a large sandbar will work and i'm not an out of stater.
Only a large sand bar will work? Please post your study that concludes that only a sandbar will work.

I am sure that it can dock anywhere that the MT. Washington can dock.... Sell some booze and a burger to the visiting tourists and move along....

BTW, who established that sandbars are the locations? You are the only one that has suggested so, that I have seen.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:39 PM   #383
Momo

The WinniBelle just went by Sleepers with a party. Music playing and people having a good time. We love the WinniBelle and the Mount as well as seeing - and hearing- people have fun on the lake. It looked
like even they veered by the tenement house anchored in Smalls Cove - probably out of curiosity and happy they are on the WinniBelle
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Momo For This Useful Post:
Cal Coon (07-31-2018), Outdoorsman (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 07:23 PM   #384
Taz

Quote:
Only a large sand bar will work? Please post your study that concludes that only a sandbar will work.

I am sure that it can dock anywhere that the MT. Washington can dock.... Sell some booze and a burger to the visiting tourists and move along....

BTW, who established that sandbars are the locations? You are the only one that has suggested so, that I have seen.
You think the Dive is going to dock? Where will it dock?
The Dive can't dock where the MT Washington docks. Only the Mt can dock in Alton, Weirs, Wolfeboro and Meredith, those docks are for the Mt only. You are the only one that has suggested the Dive is going to dock. What other places will the Dive frequent that are not sandbars. If it anchors in deep water you will swim to it? Sandbars work because there is a large concentration of potential patrons that can walk to the Dive.
The Following User Says Thank You to Taz For This Useful Post:
erick26 (08-01-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 07:31 PM   #385
codeman671

Quote:
You think THIS...

What is the actual bridges clearance? It will be fine as far as beam, if early before traffic hits. Watermark has no problem fitting large construction barges through. I think it will go.

Send it!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
Reilly (08-01-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 07:34 PM   #386
Justmee

Default Noone wants this in Braun Bay either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
I like the concept and welcome it on the lake, however would be pissed if it was in front of my property every day. I assume they are still working out the bugs, and on better weather days they will venture out further. I am sure in Braun Bay this would do well. Its just a matter of getting it there. Leave early and stay late. If they tried to travel towards the Weirs Channel on a busy Saturday afternoon they are going to be in rough shape. Get there early and boat the crew out separately from a closer location so they are not eating so much in labor while traveling (unless they have guests along for the ride).

Lets face it, the weather hasn't been great for the last week. If on every nice weekend this is sitting at West Alton they better rethink their plan.
Regardless of the commercial viability of this endeavor, in Braun Bay the situation is not different. NO ONE WANTS IT THERE! This business fails to realize that each property owner has hundreds of thousands to lose in depreciation, and combined together, what we are willing to invest in getting rid of this will dwarf the costs of 5 barges.

The tension between boaters and homeowners is a delicate balance. I doubt The Dive understands what they are stepping into.

From the boater's perspective, accounting for Braun Bay rafting/spacing rules, this vessel will displace a large number of boaters during the sunshine hours and make that crowd quite upset as well.

Last edited by Justmee; 08-01-2018 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:35 PM   #387
Taz

Quote:

Who established that sandbars are the location? The Dive did. Read the first post at the beginning of this thread. 1. In the Dive statement describing their business states they will serve sandbars.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:37 PM   #388
Rusty

Some immature banter going on here, time to give this thread a time out.
KPW (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 07:45 PM   #389
Taz

Quote:
What is the actual bridges clearance? It will be fine as far as beam, if early before traffic hits. Watermark has no problem fitting large construction barges through. I think it will go.

Send it!!!
If the Dive is in the chanel from Weirs to Paugus do you think boat traffic in the opposite direction can get by? I don't want to meet up with the Dive in the chanel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Taz For This Useful Post:
erick26 (08-01-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 07:49 PM   #390
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justmee View Post
Regardless of the commercial viability of this endeavor in Braun Bay, the situation is not different. NO ONE WANTS IT THERE! This business fails to realize that each property owner has hundreds of thousands to lose in depreciation, and combined what we are willing to invest in getting rid of this will dwarf the costs of 5 barges.

The tension between boaters and homeowners is a delicate balance. I doubt The Dive understands what they are stepping into.
Quite a sweeping statement. “No One”. That would just be your opinion. I’m sure many of the people that frequent Braun Bay would welcome the Dive., but that’s just my opinion.

Remember just because you own waterfront doesn’t mean you own the water. Full disclosure I own waterfront.

Again the key for the Dive should be a delicate balance and not anchoring-in the same location too many days in a row.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:51 PM   #391
Biggd

Quote:
Who established that sandbars are the location? The Dive did. Read the first post at the beginning of this thread. 1. In the Dive statement describing their business states they will serve sandbars.
The water at those sand bars is going to be bright yellow. They will look like a leman drop from the sky. Not that they aren't yellow already. It will just be a little brighter where ever the Dive is anchored.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:20 PM   #392
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Good luck to all the home owners that have to deal with it. They just have to suck it up because "they don't own the lake". This is one of the reasons you rarely see homes go up for sale on Squam Lake.
Can you explain this one? Squam is state property too. Not sure I get your point.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:24 PM   #393
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
Can you explain this one? Squam is state property too. Not sure I get your point.
Home owners don't own the lake but it's protect from any commercial endeavor. You have to go through the river to Little Squam to get gas, food, or boat repairs and it will always be that way. It's too late for Winni. Once the genie is out of the bottle you can't put him back in.
Like it or not the Dive is setting a precedent that will open up more ventures of like kind. I'm not an environmentalist but I do believe in protecting out natural resources for future generations. It can't always be about the all mighty dollar.

Last edited by Biggd; 07-31-2018 at 08:55 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 08:41 PM   #394
codeman671

Quote:
If the Dive is in the chanel from Weirs to Paugus do you think boat traffic in the opposite direction can get by? I don't want to meet up with the Dive in the chanel.
Exactly why I said early before traffic hits. Do you see construction barges rolling through at noon on a Saturday? They sneak through early. If the Dive was to go early they could also set up where they wanted at the Margate.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:27 PM   #395
Taz

Quote:
Exactly why I said early before traffic hits. Do you see construction barges rolling through at noon on a Saturday? They sneak through early. If the Dive was to go early they could also set up where they wanted at the Margate.
I don't see anything rolling through in that canal because I Don't go there. So I wouldn't know if barges go there or not.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:11 PM   #396
Taz

Quote:
Exactly my point. I'm not convinced the Dive would be willing to leave at what 5 am? To beat the rush not to mention how long a ride from WAM it would be and then leave late at night? And then the gas money to get there. Smalls cove is looking real good. Look at their answers on their FB page when posters ask if they are going anywhere else. They say "it's being discussed" or "the weather is not favorable" or "Smalls is working good"
Old 07-31-2018, 10:31 PM   #397
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Anyplace?

Previous floating restaurants on the lake did not anchor. They found a quiet spot and people found them. Much easier to do that now. With apps and other portable communications, you can set a schedule to be at 'X' island or cove and customers will know you're going to be on the protected side. There are plenty of places that are large enough for drive up (designed for that, remember?). The Dive also has plans for events (weddings, ticketed cruises, private parties, etc.) but these are often planned a year or more in advance, so you won't see many this year. With a lift-up ramp, she can pull up to your yard, or a dock, load passengers and get under way again (wind permitting for all you naysayers) and can probably be stable with the spuds in place if there is wind.
How about that oversize NWZ in Meredith? Protected from prevailing winds and perfect for all the rental paddle boards and kayaks. AND, if you work out an arrangement with the Mount, you can use her docks. It's owned by the Flagship Co. and they control it. It's been done before (Jack Dana, vessel "JackMar", for those who want names.. Almost everything has been done on Winnipesaukee before.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
erick26 (08-01-2018), noreast (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 05:37 AM   #398
gravy boat

Default The Dive

Just waiting for someone to complain that "It's just not the William Tell - we loved the William Tell..."
Old 08-01-2018, 06:11 AM   #399
thinkxingu

I'd asked about the oil thing--this was posted today.

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 06:12 AM   #400
Biggd

I think I'm going to get a few investors and build a Cannabis barge. I'll call it the "Powder Keg". My barge will be more attractive. I'll make it look like a Pirate ship. I can see the $$$$$$$$$$ rolling in now. Everyone be happy!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-01-2018), Dave R (08-01-2018), gillygirl (08-01-2018)
Closed Thread