Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2014, 03:58 PM   #1
Steveo

Default Weirs Park

Saw pictures of new park in gallery. I was wondering if it went down to the waters edge
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:41 PM   #2
Resident 2B

No, it does not go to the water. No big views of the water either, but a nice park. It is across Lucerne Ave from the lake, same side as the fire station and parking lot.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:25 AM   #3
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

I took these pictures a few weeks ago of the latest additions to the park. I've been watching the progress of the "Weirs Park" on Lucerne Ave. for many years. The first thing I noticed years ago was the building of the beautiful parking lot, complete with lamp posts and landscaping. That seemed odd since it was unclear what the parking was for since it was surrounded by nothing but overgrown woods. Someone told me that funding for the park could not be obtained unless there was parking available so the lot had to be built first. I'm not certain that is true.

For years the parking lot sat there pretty much unused, except for Bike Week and an occasional dog walker. A few years ago I took a walk through the trails behind the parking lot and noticed that many (hundreds?) of posts for posting notices had been installed every 20 or 30 feet along the overgrown dirt roads and paths. It seemed like they were planning some kind of nature trails but most of the paths were so overgrown and/or swampy that it again made me wonder what they were thinking. The posts have now sat unused for several years.

Now a very nice building with rest rooms and a covered area (for picnicing?) have been added along with some very nice landscaping. Again I thought it odd that so much money was being spent on a park who's usefulness seems unclear and isn't even on the water. A new rest room facility like this new one is desperately needed at Weirs Beach. Why is the new one being built in the woods on this dead end road instead of where the people are?

I'm sure there is a master plan but I've never found it. If anyone has more information please post it.

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
minni on winni (09-07-2014)
Old 09-04-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
Lakeboater

Thank you for the pictures. I noticed during bike week that they were collecting money to park.
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:41 AM   #5
AC2717

where is this?
and how come they would not use the money to update the weirs street with nice light posts and bushes and what not, as well as the beach?
seems like a waste to me, until more disclosed
Old 09-04-2014, 12:05 PM   #6
Rusty

Isn't this the Weirs Community Park -Amphitheater and Picnic Pavilion that has been in the news a lot during its development?

I seem to remember a concern about load music being played there.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:28 PM   #7
Phantom

AC -- it is right behind the Fire Station as you go over the bridge towards Gilford off 11B. Behind the Weirs Community Center.

see if this link works https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6030...VA!2e0!6m1!1e1

Rusty - I seem to recall discussions of an a place for outdoor concerts as well but currently there is no Amphitheater (yet) on this property-- I am on Lucerne Ave quite frequently and have never seen more than 2 cars in the parking lot and to me seems quite a waste of energy. As Don says, it's a quite baffling construction decision that has been years in the making (and still not complete)

Old 09-04-2014, 03:13 PM   #8
Rusty

Here is an article that talks about it a little. Seems like Laconia has been working on the project for some time.
The picture on the first page shows the same structure that Don took a picture of.

http://www.city.laconia.nh.us/upload...Newsletter.pdf
Old 09-04-2014, 03:55 PM   #9
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Isn't this the Weirs Community Park -Amphitheater and Picnic Pavilion that has been in the news a lot during its development?

I seem to remember a concern about load music being played there.
Here is a link to the plan. I just saw an article they now have the money for the playground.
http://www.weirsbeach.com/Largejpgs/weirsparkplan.html
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #10
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
Here is a link to the plan. I just saw an article they now have the money for the playground.
http://www.weirsbeach.com/Largejpgs/weirsparkplan.html
1998 on the drawing. I would say that this has been in the planning stages for a while.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:42 PM   #11
Irish mist

As a taxpayer in Laconia I have no idea what purpose was served for the placement of this out-of-the-way park without a view, or access to the lake.....on this dead-end street ? My guess is that it was placed there to mollify the Weirs residents who have clashed with Laconia's government over the years about a lack of services & concern for that end of the city. The park & parking lot are perpetually empty...
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:46 AM   #12
tis

Thanked 1,376 Times in 952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish mist View Post
As a taxpayer in Laconia I have no idea what purpose was served for the placement of this out-of-the-way park without a view, or access to the lake.....on this dead-end street ? My guess is that it was placed there to mollify the Weirs residents who have clashed with Laconia's government over the years about a lack of services & concern for that end of the city. The park & parking lot are perpetually empty...
Maybe a selectman or city councilman lives next door and had some pull?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:40 AM   #13
RailroadJoe

Too bad they didn't build that nice restroom building near the railroad station. That one is a disgrace to even go into. Plus it is not handicap accessible.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:16 AM   #14
MeredithMan

Default Not Sure What's Worse....

....the vacant lots and burned out buildings that The Weirs is famous for, or spending a bunch of money on a useless park??
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:41 AM   #15
Woodsy

My old neighbor Don Richards was very instrumental in the development of that park.

http://www.laconiadailysun.com/index...community-park

But there is no question that the City of Laconia treats the Weirs like a naughty step child!

Woodsy
Old 09-05-2014, 10:25 AM   #16
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
My old neighbor Don Richards was very instrumental in the development of that park.

But there is no question that the City of Laconia treats the Weirs like a naughty step child!

Woodsy
It's not so much Laconia that treats it like a step child but the weirs property owners treating it like naught step child 51 weeks out of the year.
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:01 AM   #17
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Maybe a selectman or city councilman lives next door and had some pull?
Lol, I don't know. The park looks nice. I just doubt anyone is ever really going to use it
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:28 AM   #18
AC2717

Would of been an awesome idea if they put it where the Volcano Waterslide used to be
Pontoon Goon (10-26-2014), RailroadJoe (09-05-2014)
Old 09-05-2014, 01:56 PM   #19
RailroadJoe

I'll go along with that. Then they can rent spaces during bike week to pay for the whole thing.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:53 PM   #20
Misha888

Default Interesting article.

minni on winni (09-07-2014)
Old 10-16-2014, 09:21 AM   #21
Diver Vince

Default Weirs Community Park

Read it just opened in Laconia Daily Sun. However exactly where is it located?
Diver Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:22 AM   #22
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Lucerne Ave.....behind the plaza where the PO is ...or used to be.

Quote:
Weirs park a dream come true that was 38 years in the making
Find nearby storiesNews Bayou

LACONIA — The Weirs Community Park Association celebrated a dream come true and a job well done with a luncheon and ribbon-cutting at the city's newest park, 27 wooded acres riven by walking trails and featuring an amphitheater, playground and picnic pavilion.
"It's just amazing," said City Councilor Ava Doyle (Ward 1), whose ward includes the park. "I look at this and think weddings, family reunions, graduation parties and winter bonfires."
City Councilor Armand Bolduc (Ward 6), whose ward abuts the park, said, "I've been fighting for this since 1976 when I voted to purchase the land. The people up here never gave up, and it's just wonderful that it has finally happened."
Although Bolduc said, "I take my hat off to Don Richards," Richards himself generously paid tribute to the many steadfast volunteers who pursued the project for many years, insisting "it took a lot of hands." But, Richards conceded "I designed it — the ideas, what went into it and where."
Alongside a sketch of the park lay two drawings of residential communities planned for the property, one a faux Swiss village of homes planned in 1892 and the other, Interlaken Heights, consisting of 232 two-bedroom condominiums divided among 21 buildings and which was proposed in 1974. "Think what could have been here," said Kevin Dunleavy, director of parks and recreation.
Joe Driscoll of the Cozy Inn and Cottages described the park as "unique, a true park that offers a different experience." He expected it would a popular attraction for visitors to The Weirs as well as residents. "I expect a big response from our guests," he said. "This is here for them, too."
For Pat O'Hearn, a member of the Weirs Community Park Association, the celebration was bittersweet, since Ed, her husband and fellow volunteer, passed away before the park was completed. "He would have loved to see this," she said, and assured he was looking down from above, agreed, "I'm sure he is."

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Diver Vince (10-16-2014)
Old 10-16-2014, 10:57 AM   #23
AC2717

yup why would you want to use that land to generate revenue for the town and state