Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 09:02 AM   #201
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I also heard he is getting married in August.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:03 AM   #202
HellRaZoR004

Starting Sunday all part-timers won't be scheduled to work.....this news hits the lakes region (and elsewhere) pretty hard.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:41 AM   #203
TheProfessor

"A supermarket company has emerged as a serious bidder for the Market Basket chain, complicating Arthur T. Demoulas’s effort to buy out rival family members and take complete control of the grocery empire, according to people briefed on the negotiations.

The Belgium-based parent of Hannaford Bros. Co. is offering to buy part or all of Market Basket, which competes with it in markets throughout New England, said these people, who were not authorized to speak publicly on the matter. A spokesman for Hannaford could not be reached for comment Thursday."

LINK
Old 08-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #204
SIKSUKR

I got to chime in here. I watched the news at noon today and it was reporting the inevitable layoffs. A couple of employees interviewed were "shocked" that people would be layed off. What? 90% loss in sales and MB should still have the same amount of help? One said "I can't believe they would do this to us". Huh? I understand the cause but seriously, you've done it to yourselves, period. The message has been sent. I think its time to move along until actual cuts that have been theorized really happen.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:58 PM   #205
Happy Gourmand

Default It's getting real

This is where it starts to get ugly, where some will start to break ranks and hard feelings replace the euphoria and camaraderie that has so far prevailed. And no matter what happens from here, it will get worse before it gets better.
Now is the time that they will need to come together in solidarity, and now and going forward is when they will need the most support.
I wish them well. They are standing for something they truly believe in.
The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
tabascocat98 (08-07-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2014, 02:12 PM   #206
Patiently Watching

Such a mess...
I am sure that Delhaize and probably others (Aldi, etc.) may have an interest in acquiring it, but the family situation is pretty messy & complicated.
Just because 'S' has control, does not mean that he can force a sale of the portion owned by the 'T' faction.
Also, there is the complicated web of ownership of the real estate and improvements, etc.
The first major part of the drama went on for years and cost many millions in MA courts.
Wonder if the Market Basket employee/picketers will crash the wedding this summer?
Old 08-07-2014, 03:25 PM   #207
ITD

I think this will go on for another couple of weeks. It really doesn't matter what the CEOs do if the customers stay away. MB is a $3 billion per year enterprise that has had no revenue for weeks now. Sounds like they have distributed most of the their cash to the stock holders. They need to fix this quickly or shutdown, I don't see any other options for them. If they wait too long they may not be able to start it back up. It certainly is interesting.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:02 PM   #208
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patiently Watching View Post
Such a mess...
I am sure that Delhaize and probably others (Aldi, etc.) may have an interest in acquiring it, but the family situation is pretty messy & complicated.
Just because 'S' has control, does not mean that he can force a sale of the portion owned by the 'T' faction.
Also, there is the complicated web of ownership of the real estate and improvements, etc.
The first major part of the drama went on for years and cost many millions in MA courts.
Wonder if the Market Basket employee/picketers will crash the wedding this summer?
If you have control of a company's stock you can execute a sale of ALL of a company's stock. A minority shareholder can sue on the basis of the sale price being inadequate, etc. but he/she can't stop a sale.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:44 PM   #209
tabascocat98

Default Corporate Welfare More than Double Personal Welfare

To Seaplane Pilot

http://benswann.com/corporate-welfar...ocial-welfare/

Corporate welfare is double personal welfare programs. So corporate greed is our problem. Let them pay their fair share.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:44 PM   #210
TheProfessor

All interested in how companies become great ones should read the book:

GOOD TO GREAT
By Jim Collins.

Market Basket is a tragedy.

The formula used to make this grocery chain so successful is gone.

These grocery stores were a tightly woven business. It's all unraveled now.
It will never be the same.

Hannafords and Shaws will be quite happy with the demise of this chain.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:08 PM   #211
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabascocat98 View Post
Corporate welfare is double personal welfare programs. So corporate greed is our problem. Let them pay their fair share.
I love that statement, let them pay their "fair share". Beautiful! Then don't you dare complain when that "fair share" is passed onto consumers in higher prices because it will.

Ya know people accused Hostess of "corporate greed" when they refused to make a deal with the unions because the unions were simply asking for more than the company could possibly hand out in benefits and wages and still maintain a viable company. In the end, union greed and employee greed put them out of business. It's that a wonderful story? Yes we need more of that please.

Finally "corporate welfare" as you call it is typically tax incentives, so a company pays less taxes on what it makes or gets a low interest loan to do something productive with it which I might add usually includes hiring people. I know a terrible idea isn't it! Should I also remind you that the US has the HIGHEST corporate income tax on the planet?!? Personal welfare, yeah great idea throw money at a problem that will never be solved, in fact it makes it worse.

Oh and you may want to look at more recent stats because that article that the link pointed to was a bit outdated sighting figures from 2006. Welfare spending is way up and isn't it ironic so are the number of people on the dole.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (08-08-2014), Crusty (08-07-2014), Diver Vince (08-12-2014), Lakepilot (08-08-2014), Seaplane Pilot (08-07-2014), wifi (08-08-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 07:00 PM   #212
tummyman

The time is long overdue for Artie T. to step up to the microphones and cameras to rally his employees. He needs to come out of the darkness and shed light on this entire situation as it stands. He owes it to all the employees who have given so much support, as well as the loyal customers. Please Artie, let us hear from you directly, not through a spokesperson !!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tummyman For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (08-07-2014), Greene's Basin Girl (08-08-2014), mhtranger (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 07:30 PM   #213
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
Starting Sunday all part-timers won't be scheduled to work.....this news hits the lakes region (and elsewhere) pretty hard.
"Nearly 400 workers at the Market Basket in Nashua were given the discouraging news, and many broke down in tears."

"Employees said they desperately need those hours."

"I started to cry," Hujsak said. "It's income. We have families. It shouldn't have come to this."

DUH!!!!

http://www.wmur.com/money/other-supe...350086#!byl1BJ
Old 08-07-2014, 07:56 PM   #214
jetskier

Post Arthur S getting married

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I also heard he is getting married in August.
I heard that Arthur S is getting married this weekend up here at the lake.

Jetskier
Old 08-07-2014, 08:02 PM   #215
Sue Doe-Nym

Enough is enough !

A pox on all of you - shareholders, directors, management, and yes, employees. You have all combined to destroy what was a great company. As much as I dislike Shaws' prices and Hannafords' selection, I am through with MB.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:08 PM   #216
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
To Seaplane Pilot

http://benswann.com/corporate-welfar...ocial-welfare/

You need to find another mantra - nobody is buying this one. as Maxum said, corporations pay taxes. Social welfare recipients and illegal aliens pay little to no taxes.so who is paying for their entitlement programs?
The Following User Says Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (08-10-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 10:33 PM   #217
Farfrumbehavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
"A supermarket company has emerged as a serious bidder for the Market Basket chain, complicating Arthur T. Demoulas’s effort to buy out rival family members and take complete control of the grocery empire, according to people briefed on the negotiations.

The Belgium-based parent of Hannaford Bros. Co. is offering to buy part or all of Market Basket, which competes with it in markets throughout New England, said these people, who were not authorized to speak publicly on the matter. A spokesman for Hannaford could not be reached for comment Thursday."

LINK
WoW, You mean the Delhaize co? why would a company who owns 1100 stores on the eastern seaboard be interested in a **** little chain like this that is having so much trouble. It would seem that they would want to sit back and just enjoy the extra business while they have it, and leave this for someone else. Or, they have no intention to buy in, they just want to cause more confusion and give the BOD more **** to haggle over. I read that there is actually as many as ten offers on the table right now. So the BOD is fighting over who will run the company after all. Looks like the honeymoon might be starting and ending at the same time! If you didn't see this one coming you were too wrapped up in all the drama. They need to cut a deal soon before the value goes any lower. The buzzards aren't circling anymore, now they are fighting over it!
Old 08-08-2014, 06:10 AM   #218
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farfrumbehavin View Post
WoW, You mean the Delhaize co? why would a company who owns 1100 stores on the eastern seaboard be interested in a **** little chain like this that is having so much trouble. It would seem that they would want to sit back and just enjoy the extra business while they have it, and leave this for someone else. Or, they have no intention to buy in, they just want to cause more confusion and give the BOD more **** to haggle over. I read that there is actually as many as ten offers on the table right now. So the BOD is fighting over who will run the company after all. Looks like the honeymoon might be starting and ending at the same time! If you didn't see this one coming you were too wrapped up in all the drama. They need to cut a deal soon before the value goes any lower. The buzzards aren't circling anymore, now they are fighting over it!
Thank you for bringing back the original poster's topic of Market Basket.
Tired of reading from the same folks about corporate welfare, people welfare, immigrants, food stamps, unions, and the rest of the tangent opinions.

Market Basket still has a valued brand name. Although some folks here may not think so. But others not following the news may think that it does.
Then there is the real estate. Yes, the real estate may be in other entities but probably will go with any sale.
This chain can be profitable either with new management, sale of the name, sale of the properties and all sorts of financial maneuvers.
Edward Lambert purchased Kmart and then later Sears. Whether you think Kmart or Sears is worth anything or not - just note that Lamberts annual income in 2012 was reported to be $1 billion dollars.
Erivan Haub purchased the A&P chain and walked away with $ 200 million dollars by raiding the companies pension fund.
Cerretani's small grocery chain - another family owned stores - were sold and the new owners appear to be quite happy.

So there may be quite a value buried in this grocery store controversy.

Last edited by TheProfessor; 08-08-2014 at 06:24 AM. Reason: took a coffee break
Old 08-08-2014, 06:52 AM   #219
tabascocat98

Interesting to see the denial of how corporate greed is ruining and not building our country. The great robbery of 2008 and how many on Wall Street are in jail?

You blame corporate troubles when they exist on workers demanding good wages and benefits. Simple math-good paying jobs fuel the economy; low paying jobs equal the need for more welfare. You can't have your cake and eat it too. I'd rather see a working parent earning a living wage than getting welfare and usually so would they.

I love how people here say let's stop talking about a subject AFTER they post a diatribe.

This thread was about Market Basket. I support MB boycott, bringing back Artie T and I commend the workers for the stand they are taking.

And I am damn glad I have a good union job that has allowed me the opportunity to buy a boat and property on the lake and enjoy this slice of heaven. In Solidarity!
Old 08-08-2014, 07:19 AM   #220
secondcurve

Quote:
If there are in fact 10 bidders for MB, my guess is the value of the franchise has been barely dinged. No vultures in this scenario other than Arthur S.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:46 AM   #221
MAXUM

Quote:
You blame corporate troubles when they exist on workers demanding good wages and benefits. Simple math-good paying jobs fuel the economy; low paying jobs equal the need for more welfare. You can't have your cake and eat it too. I'd rather see a working parent earning a living wage than getting welfare and usually so would they.

And I am damn glad I have a good union job that has allowed me the opportunity to buy a boat and property on the lake and enjoy this slice of heaven. In Solidarity!
So let me get this straight... it's evil for a company to pay the least amount necessary to hire employees, yet it's not evil for employees to demand the most they can get for a wage? Huh, OK with that in mind, when you need to hire somebody to do work for you... two contractors quote you a price for the job. Both using the same materials but one is more expensive than the other, and both have the same reputation and do the same quality of work. So you'd hire the most expensive one right? LOL I'm sure you would!

Wages are paid at a market rate, no more no less. Benefits are a matter of how willing AND able a company is to pay out in order to attract the best employees possible.

I'm damn glad I have the same as you do, but it doesn't necessarily take a union job to get it. It takes hard work!
Old 08-08-2014, 07:51 AM   #222
mhtranger

Quote:
I'm damn glad I have the same as you do, but it doesn't necessarily take a union job to get it. It takes hard work!
Are you saying that if you are union you don't work hard to get what we have?
The Following User Says Thank You to mhtranger For This Useful Post:
tabascocat98 (08-08-2014)
Old 08-08-2014, 08:42 AM   #223
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhtranger View Post
Are you saying that if you are union you don't work hard to get what we have?
No that isn't what he said, but this sidetrack should end here.......
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
winnasake (08-08-2014)
Old 08-08-2014, 08:47 AM   #224
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
No that isn't what he said, but this sidetrack should end here.......
Agreed! That whole rant has nothing to do with the MB debacle.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:51 AM   #225
HellRaZoR004

I wonder if ASD's supposed wedding this weekend is going to get crashed? My guess is no considering the employees have been pretty civil so far.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:45 AM   #226
RailroadJoe

In March 2006 he was listed at $1.6 Billion in top richest in the Boston area.. Must be quite a wedding. Wish I was invited.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:00 PM   #227
Just Sold

Default A Case Study of MB

This article is very good and hits some very good and valid points about this whole situation:
Market Basket: A business case study for decades

What your business can learn from Market Basket’s mistakes

http://www.nhbr.com/August-8-2014/Ma...sbrowser140808
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just Sold For This Useful Post:
Phantom (08-08-2014), winnasake (08-08-2014)
Old 08-08-2014, 01:16 PM   #228
Newbiesaukee

Interesting article...but anyone can be an expert after the fact. Is the suggestion being made that any decision should be approached with the PR aspects in mind?

I think the lesson is that actions have consequences and the important ones often turn out to be the unintended consequences.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Old 08-08-2014, 01:51 PM   #229
Farfrumbehavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
If there are in fact 10 bidders for MB, my guess is the value of the franchise has been barely dinged. No vultures in this scenario other than Arthur S.
What I know about the whole situation is what I've read in a Boston Globe blog. My understanding is that the lost business has driven the value down and that is what has motivated possible buyers to want in. Because nobody is "available for comment" there is a lot of rumor and speculation around the whole story. The buzzard analogy was only because it has taken some time for interested buyers to belly up. The experts who are writing about this are not calling it a ding, more of a big dent. That might be a guess too, but it does make sense to me. Either way, what it most notable to me is how much has not been said by the BOD to the public, it fuels speculation. and rumor.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:17 PM   #230
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailroadJoe View Post
In March 2006 he was listed at $1.6 Billion in top richest in the Boston area.. Must be quite a wedding. Wish I was invited.
I have a feeling his net worth has taken a serious downturn due to his actions over the last few months......
Old 08-08-2014, 07:30 PM   #231
patman

Board Proposes Deal To End Market Basket Battle And Return Artie T. To Company

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/08/0...-t-to-company/
Old 08-08-2014, 07:46 PM   #232
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by patman View Post

Interesting to note - not as CEO. Just as management to stabilize the company. I doubt he'll agree.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:27 PM   #233
tabascocat98

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
So let me get this straight... it's evil for a company to pay the least amount necessary to hire employees, yet it's not evil for employees to demand the most they can get for a wage? Huh, OK with that in mind, when you need to hire somebody to do work for you... two contractors quote you a price for the job. Both using the same materials but one is more expensive than the other, and both have the same reputation and do the same quality of work. So you'd hire the most expensive one right? LOL I'm sure you would!

Wages are paid at a market rate, no more no less. Benefits are a matter of how willing AND able a company is to pay out in order to attract the best employees possible.

Sorry you have such arrogance in expressing your view. I support workers whether union or non-union----but am proud we fight to help all achieve a better life and yes by working hard but not as slave labor .
Old 08-08-2014, 09:11 PM   #234
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by patman View Post

That's a blink, it will be an interesting week I think....
Old 08-09-2014, 09:53 AM   #235
MAXUM

Quote:
Sorry you have such arrogance in expressing your view. I support workers whether union or non-union----but am proud we fight to help all achieve a better life and yes by working hard but not as slave labor .
Slave labor? Now that's comical....maybe you need to go over to China and see how workers are treated there and for that matter how much they are paid.

Arrogant, no but apparently the question I posed to you didn't receive an answer but we all know what the answer is anyways. However according to your way of thinking - if you don't hire the more expensive contractor you'd be guilty of "corporate greed". Wagging my finger at you! How could you possibly deny the more expensive contractor a living wage?

Or you can look at it from my perspective, one is overbidding the job and why pay more to get the same work done? I'd rather pay the cheaper market rate. So according to you, I guess I do favor slave labor so shame on me. If you say so, but I won't loose any sleep at night saving a buck or two.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:46 AM   #236
secondcurve

Quote:
Doubtful it will be much of a shindig. Rumor has it that he can count his friends on one hand.
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
tabascocat98 (08-09-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 02:38 PM   #237
Rusty

I have a theory...probably a far out one, but who knows.

No business owner in their right mind would allow this to happen or go on as it has... So I think the Demoulas family planned this whole thing out together so that they could get someone to buy them out real quick and they can make Billions off the sale. They started the bidding process with a high number in hopes that someone would bid higher.

This would be a prime opportunity for Hanafords parent company to get rid of their biggest competition.

The employees fell for all of this and now they will suffer the consequences.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:41 PM   #238
RailroadJoe

Rusty, are you smoking the weed or what?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RailroadJoe For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (08-09-2014), tabascocat98 (08-09-2014), Waterbaby (08-09-2014), winnasake (08-11-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 07:26 PM   #239
Rusty

This below sign is posted at a Hannaford store. It also should have had a statement that said: You will be working for us soon anyway.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:33 PM   #240
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
I have a theory...probably a far out one, but who knows.

No business owner in their right mind would allow this to happen or go on as it has... So I think the Demoulas family planned this whole thing out together so that they could get someone to buy them out real quick and they can make Billions off the sale. They started the bidding process with a high number in hopes that someone would bid higher.

This would be a prime opportunity for Hanafords parent company to get rid of their biggest competition.

The employees fell for all of this and now they will suffer the consequences.
While I understand what you are saying, this planning would inply lots of forethought, which that side of the family hasn't displayed at this point. If they win out with lots of $$, its more likely luck/circumstances than any level of high mental activity
The Following User Says Thank You to wifi For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (08-09-2014)
Old 08-10-2014, 02:09 PM   #241
jeffk

Quote:
I have a theory...probably a far out one, but who knows. ...
This animosity has been going on quite publicly for a long time. I doubt they are coming together to stage anything.

Might the ASD side of it be happy to sell and take the money and run? Absolutely, since that seems to be their main focus.

It seems a bit crazy to let things get to this point because a viable business is going to be worth more than one that is disintegrating. Hannaford's buying them out to rid themselves of a low price competitor is NOT going to offer top dollar.

Maybe the hatred of each other has gotten to the point where they just don't care if they take a loss. They just want OUT! They probably did not expect the employee backlash but now that it has happened, what are they going to do? Work on rebuilding the business? They didn't want to spend time and money doing that in the first place. Their hatred of ATD would probably prevent the ASD side from accepting a buyout (that would probably delay the payout for as long as possible) to ATD. So what's left? Sell it for what you can. Scorched earth.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:14 PM   #242
jetskier

Post Can't Apply Business Logic To This

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
This animosity has been going on quite publicly for a long time. I doubt they are coming together to stage anything.

Might the ASD side of it be happy to sell and take the money and run? Absolutely, since that seems to be their main focus.

It seems a bit crazy to let things get to this point because a viable business is going to be worth more than one that is disintegrating. Hannaford's buying them out to rid themselves of a low price competitor is NOT going to offer top dollar.

Maybe the hatred of each other has gotten to the point where they just don't care if they take a loss. They just want OUT! They probably did not expect the employee backlash but now that it has happened, what are they going to do? Work on rebuilding the business? They didn't want to spend time and money doing that in the first place. Their hatred of ATD would probably prevent the ASD side from accepting a buyout (that would probably delay the payout for as long as possible) to ATD. So what's left? Sell it for what you can. Scorched earth.
The problem with all of this is that business logic does not apply. Clearly, no self respecting business person would allow an asset such as MB (especially with a large equity share) to decompose in this fashion. Most of this is emotional and historical:
  • Arthur T's father supposedly took millions from Arthur S's father which he was not entitled to.
  • Arthur T has built up MB and turned it into a prideful and productive company.
  • Arthur S bears the animosity of what allegedly happened to his father toward Arthur T.
  • Arthur S appears to want to pull as much capital out of MB as he can without concern for the company (ergo the $250M distribution).
  • It seems as though Arthur S would be happy to destroy what Arthur T has built as retribution.
  • Both have more money than god and appear to be engaged in an emotional battle.

It would be nice to see cooler heads prevail; otherwise, I suspect that this will be scorched earth. Fundamentally, it is not clear whether MB has the capital to survive a prolonged standoff.

Jetskier
Old 08-10-2014, 03:32 PM   #243
tis

ASD and ATD, how about a little ADD??
Old 08-10-2014, 04:53 PM   #244
nhcatrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
[U]
It would be nice to see cooler heads prevail; otherwise, I suspect that this will be scorched earth. Fundamentally, it is not clear whether MB has the capital to survive a prolonged standoff.

Jetskier
They don't. Remember the $250m payout? That was the cash reserves, positive cash flow is non existant right now, and some of the vendors are going cash on delivery now. It's just a matter of time, and time is something they don't have very much of.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:02 PM   #245
Rusty

I'll bet MB employees are shocked that the CEO hasn't caved in at all. Next week MB hours will be reduced even more.

All because they got involved with the Demoulas family feud.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:35 AM   #246
jeffk

Quote:
I'll bet MB employees are shocked that the CEO hasn't caved in at all. Next week MB hours will be reduced even more.

Rusty, you speak as if they haven't been involved simply by being employees.

Who knows for sure what might have happened but with the ASD attitude of getting their money out of the business it is very likely that MB would NOT have been a strong competitor as a low price market. Given the current state of the stores it's not clear that the ASD folks know how to run the business. To get their money out of the business prices would probably have gone up, employees cut, and other cost cutting measures taken that would have impacted employees and customers. It might not have happened right away but MB would likely have lost it's niche, lost business, and sold off or closed.

At that point, and probably long before, jobs would be lost and working conditions deteriorated. Employees have been trying to convince the ASD group that they are headed in the wrong direction. This is enlightened self interest. They are trying to save their jobs and a business they like working at. You are suggesting employees should go quietly as lambs to a slaughter?

Employees may be shocked but probably because the ASD management is willing to let a viable business implode.

Also, I'll bet ASD has lost far,far more in current share value over this mess then ATD's father "took" from ASD's father. ASD is cutting off his nose to spite his face. Vendettas can be expensive!
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (08-11-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 06:13 AM   #247
secondcurve

Quote:

No. I bet the vast majority believe in what they are doing. I have a feeling that ASD is close to folding. These workers are willing to suffer short-term pain to get long-term gain. I also believe if ASD comes out on top he is going to need the workers as much as they will need him.

Are you a believer in Labor Unions? I hate them but somehow I have a feeling you are a supporter.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:26 AM   #248
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
Rusty, you speak as if they haven't been involved simply by being employees.

Who knows for sure what might have happened but with the ASD attitude of getting their money out of the business it is very likely that MB would NOT have been a strong competitor as a low price market. Given the current state of the stores it's not clear that the ASD folks know how to run the business. To get their money out of the business prices would probably have gone up, employees cut, and other cost cutting measures taken that would have impacted employees and customers. It might not have happened right away but MB would likely have lost it's niche, lost business, and sold off or closed.

At that point, and probably long before, jobs would be lost and working conditions deteriorated. Employees have been trying to convince the ASD group that they are headed in the wrong direction. This is enlightened self interest. They are trying to save their jobs and a business they like working at. You are suggesting employees should go quietly as lambs to a slaughter?

Employees may be shocked but probably because the ASD management is willing to let a viable business implode.

Also, I'll bet ASD has lost far,far more in current share value over this mess then ATD's father "took" from ASD's father. ASD is cutting off his nose to spite his face. Vendettas can be expensive!
What I wonder is how did ALL the employees know all this? Most people don't even listen to the news, I am shocked that these employees knew so much about the company finances.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:34 AM   #249
ITD

According to this article the BOD has accepted the price, but ASD has added terms that make the deal undoable. I'm thinking the ASD wants to still keep his fingers in the pie....

In my opinion ASD is driving this company into the ground and it will be a miracle if it comes back any where near as good after this is over.

http://www.wcvb.com/news/arthur-t-de...401326#!bBh4Kh
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (08-11-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 04:32 PM   #250
Farfrumbehavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Emotions seem to be very high at this store in Concord:

Remember your pledge, It's a tough pill to swallow, and I admire your courage, and you may be very suprised and saddened, but you also knew the risk. I probably would have done the same, accept there have been changes with my employment which I didn't like but were not serious enough for me to walk out. Whenever there is an increase in medical insurance, and it never goes down, i am informed that this increase will affect you directly, and it does. Is it a pay cut? The cost of the insurance is added to your gross income when you become elligable, so it may be considered a substantial raise until the cost goes up and then it is considered a cut. In my case I have to consider my options. And so far, campaigning to organize a mutiny is not one of them and would not be good for our buisness. But in my case we have our times when we struggle as a company and the people we work for are the first one to sacrifice to keep the company alive. Regardless of how this whole problem affects employees benefits or consumer pricing, lets get everyone back to work! If they want to work!
Old 08-11-2014, 05:30 PM   #251
Rusty

Not much in the news today about employees protesting MB.

Have things calmed down a bit?
Old 08-11-2014, 06:00 PM   #252
dave603

Default Rusty

Not anymore, seems the "independent directors", whatever that means, are now wanting to meet with Art T.
http://www.wmur.com/money/market-bas...416674#!bBPVXr

I'm guessing this might be over with soon.
Funny, lately most of the news coming out is from them, not the Co-CEOS, who haven't been mentioned at all, nor ART S. and his camp.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:00 PM   #253
gillygirl

Quote:
What I wonder is how did ALL the employees know all this? Most people don't even listen to the news, I am shocked that these employees knew so much about the company finances.
Nothing spreads faster than company gossip.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:47 AM   #254
Diver Vince

Everyone (except the competition) loses with this ongoing debacle; Arthur T, Arthur S, the employees, the management, the consumers. And who's to blame? IMHO all of the above. Everyone says hooray for our side, we are the righteous ones. Shameful indeed. Funny, sounds like what's going on in our government.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:37 AM   #255
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Vince View Post
Everyone (except the competition) loses with this ongoing debacle; Arthur T, Arthur S, the employees, the management, the consumers. And who's to blame? IMHO all of the above. Everyone says hooray for our side, we are the righteous ones. Shameful indeed. Funny, sounds like what's going on in our government.
Well, I got a little insight into it yesterday when someone told me they had gotten a flier a year ago. So I guess somebody has been keeping employees and customers aware of what is going on and keeping them motivated. It makes more sense to know that there was organization. See and they didn't even need a union. I think they did better than any union in stirring up the troops.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:46 AM   #256
Rusty

Quote:
Well, I got a little insight into it yesterday when someone told me they had gotten a flier a year ago. So I guess somebody has been keeping employees and customers aware of what is going on and keeping them motivated. It makes more sense to know that there was organization. See and they didn't even need a union. I think they did better than any union in stirring up the troops.
I'm a customer and I didn't have a clue that all this would happen.

My only motivation was to get some Turkey thighs at MB...I sure do miss them. No one cooks them like MB in Rochester.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:03 PM   #257
Rusty

Hundreds of Market Basket employees received letters Tuesday giving them the ultimatum of returning to work by Friday or losing their jobs.

Will they return to work??

http://www.wmur.com/money/protesting...428094#!bCqsJw
Old 08-15-2014, 05:20 PM   #258
Rusty

Went shopping at Hannaford in Alton today and had a hard time finding a parking spot.

I make a comment to the cashier that they are getting a lot of MB customers here today and she said: "MB will be Hannaford pretty soon".

I said: "Why did you say that?"

She said: "Because Hannaford put bid in for MB."

We'll see I guess.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:37 PM   #259
dave603

Default Rusty

Yeah, we should always go by what the cashiers say, even when it rings up wrong.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dave603 For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (08-16-2014), Waterbaby (08-20-2014)
Old 08-15-2014, 08:41 PM   #260
patman

Re: Hannaford...this article was published about a week ago about their bid:

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/08/0...market-basket/
Old 08-15-2014, 09:06 PM   #261
Rusty

Hannaford won't have to get rid of any MB employees, there won't be any left to after next week.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:37 AM   #262
phoenix

I thought maybe one of the smaller shareholders would just switch sides and take a buy out and change the ownership back to ASD but that hasn't happened. I have watched many shows that interview customers and they appear to be solid also so all the employees can go back but if no one shows up to buy the place will go out anyway . I would be surprised for another company to buy MB as it thrived on lower prices and can't see Hanniford's allowing any stores to be as inexpensive as MB was
Old 08-18-2014, 02:52 PM   #263
dave603

Default Fish vendor halts doing business due to management

They questioned the ability of the new management after receiving an over payment of $400K.

http://www.boston.com/business/news/...K8L/story.html

This story just keeps getting more bazaar.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:52 AM   #264
Farfrumbehavin

If they don't have enough sense to to put their personal issues aside, do what's best for their employees, stockholders, and their customers, than their not the great company that I thought they were when this all started. There is no such thing as loyalty after all. At this point it doesn't matter who is to blame for the gridlock, it is clear that people have lost interest in the issue and have moved on and found someplace else to shop. At least we have. It's so ridiculous that I think I will just stay at Hannaford. I'm seeing some really good deals and I think they realize, that is how they can keep customers coming back.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:01 PM   #265
tis

When people get mad, they don't care who or what it affects. It is more important to be mad.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:06 AM   #266
Waterbaby

Default Hannaford Prices

Quote:
If they don't have enough sense to to put their personal issues aside, do what's best for their employees, stockholders, and their customers, than their not the great company that I thought they were when this all started. There is no such thing as loyalty after all. At this point it doesn't matter who is to blame for the gridlock, it is clear that people have lost interest in the issue and have moved on and found someplace else to shop. At least we have. It's so ridiculous that I think I will just stay at Hannaford. I'm seeing some really good deals and I think they realize, that is how they can keep customers coming back.
FFB - I do not believe that people have lost interest in the issue and moved on; it is far from that point in the area that I live in (SE NH). There are a LOT of MB stores here, and people are still wholeheartedly boycotting, employees are still working, and it is still a main topic of conversation.

I am also shopping at Hannaford because their prices are the closest to MB that I can find in the Exeter area. Good deals? Sometimes. However, I don't think those will continue if MB is eliminated; my take is they are creating goodwill for the displaced MB shoppers, in hopes we will continue shopping there even if MB gets back to normal. I will admit, the employees there have been great, noticing when I (and many other people) appear "lost" because we don't know the store and helping us find things.

All of that being said, I am respectfully disagreeing with your statements and hope that your feelings are not widespread.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:11 AM   #267
RailroadJoe

Default Waterbaby

Same thing here. And your correct I found three people looking lost at Hannaford and we all are still MB customers.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:24 AM   #268
tummyman

We are loyal MB customers for over 30 years and are fully boycotting the chain until "T" is back. However, we are concerned by the news accounts of financing problems. Paying back debt will be a major issue going forward. As a starter, although it may be unpopular with some, I say eliminate the 4% giveback to customers. It is scheduled to end at the end of the year anyway and if it will make a difference to get the stores back and profitable, it is a small price to pay. And anyway, it was ONLY just a promotion for one year. Be done with it now and let's stabilize a gem, as well as bet "ASSOCIATES" back to work !!! We had stockpiled some items from MB that were their brand, and we are almost out of all of them. Time for this to end, if the greed and vengeance can be overcome.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:24 AM   #269
Rusty

Quote:
Same thing here. And your correct I found three people looking lost at Hannaford and we all are still MB customers.
How do you know they used to shop a MB and how do you know they are still MB customers. Are you asking everyone that question at Hannaford?
Old 08-21-2014, 08:03 AM   #270
WakeboardMom

Quote:
How do you know they used to shop a MB and how do you know they are still MB customers. Are you asking everyone that question at Hannaford?
At the Hannaford in my town, there are lots of folks wandering around, clearly confused and needing help from the staff. These folks aren't shy about stating that they're displaced MB customers. Many are commiserating with each other as they search for items.

I have heard similar stories from several friends who have had this experience in other Hannafords and Shaws in the Lowell/Nashua/Salem area.
Rusty (08-21-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 08:09 AM   #271
RailroadJoe

To Rusty. YES, I do ask them if they were customers at MB and their reply is yes I can't find things here.. Also one person stocking shelves worked for Nabisco and informed me she normally stock MB and has to do Hannafords. I talk to people.
The Following User Says Thank You to RailroadJoe For This Useful Post:
Rusty (08-21-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 09:43 AM   #272
dave603

It's hard to tell at the Nashua Hannaford. Just when this all started they had just begun reworking the store here.
So even the regular Hannaford customers are lost.
What they did to get extra help was at first bring in Vendors with special jackets saying they can help you find what you want. Then they brought in employees from outside the area that do not have MBs near them, mostly from Maine and New York.

There is a lot of joking about how far away you have to park to get to the store, people are calling it the " Market Basket Customer Exercise program".
Old 08-21-2014, 10:40 AM   #273
jeffk

My nephew came in from Utica, New York (works for Hannaford there) to a MA store for one day. They paid him overtime. They also paid his travel expenses, for a hotel room, and meals. INSANE!

As I see this, people believe they have no other choice. If ASD stays in control, MB won't be worth shopping at or working for. Vendors are dropping off because the current management team doesn't know what it is doing.

Even if ATD comes back, there has been a lot of damage done to the business and money lost. Taking on debt to finance a buyout might require negative changes to the business.

I have read a little more history of the battle and ATD's father was a real piece of work. I can understand the animosity better. But it was insanity by the judge to give a controlling interest to the part of the family that hadn't run the business.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:49 AM   #274
fatlazyless

Yesterday, August 20, 2014;

$1.69 : store brand 1/2 gal homogenized milk at Meredith Hannaford

$2.40 : store brand 1/2 gal homogenized milk at Plymouth Walmart

$1.59 : store brand canned sliced peaches at Meredith Hannaford

out of stock : store brand canned sliced peaches at Plymouth Walmart

As u probably know, the closest Market Basket is way down at Exit 20 in Tilton.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:54 AM   #275
Farfrumbehavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbaby View Post
FFB - I do not believe that people have lost interest in the issue and moved on; it is far from that point in the area that I live in (SE NH). There are a LOT of MB stores here, and people are still wholeheartedly boycotting, employees are still working, and it is still a main topic of conversation.

I am also shopping at Hannaford because their prices are the closest to MB that I can find in the Exeter area. Good deals? Sometimes. However, I don't think those will continue if MB is eliminated; my take is they are creating goodwill for the displaced MB shoppers, in hopes we will continue shopping there even if MB gets back to normal. I will admit, the employees there have been great, noticing when I (and many other people) appear "lost" because we don't know the store and helping us find things.

All of that being said, I am respectfully disagreeing with your statements and hope that your feelings are not widespread.
I hope I'm wrong and things get back to normal for everyones sake. My comments are only a general feeling I get from just a few people in my area, when the subject came up. Based on the number of new post and what little talk I hear on the subject, it APPEARS that many people have lost interest . The general feeling I get is that most people have come to terms with the fact that it is very unlikely tha ATD will be back (opinions) and things will be back the way they were before this all happened. The decision to shop back at MB may be decided by factors other than thier great bargains. It does bother me that they have not been more loyal to there employees or customers but the decision where to shop may come down to a matter of convenience in the end. The road I drive to Hannaford is very rough but there are no traffic lights. I think many MIGHT agree that the great deals are over! Respectfully. At least we are still interested!
Old 08-21-2014, 12:01 PM   #276
Greene's Basin Girl

WMUR news at noon said there may be a decision tomorrow, but who knows???
Old 08-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #277
Rusty

I wonder why forum member jmen24 who is the originator of this thread hasn't said anything about how his wife is doing?

He said that his wife is a manager at Market Basket, and her job supplies 60%of their household income, all of their health insurance and $10K a year in grocery's at PAST MB prices.

That's a lot of income and benefits to lose for any family in todays economy.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:58 PM   #278
Scott's Yott

I'm sorry but i still dont get this whole thing....If everyone stopped working because they didnt like their boss, then I dont think many people would be working. And if they walked off the job then they should all get fired.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:20 PM   #279
tis

I still don't get it either, Scott!!! I totally agree with you. I am still amazed by the whole thing.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:34 PM   #280
RailroadJoe

A lot of people don't like the Government, but they stay here.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:36 PM   #281
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott's Yott View Post
I'm sorry but i still dont get this whole thing....If everyone stopped working because they didnt like their boss, then I dont think many people would be working. And if they walked off the job then they should all get fired.
Well, I have left several companies because I thought they took a serious wrong turn with their business strategies. As much as I could, I would voice my concerns. After it became clear no changes were coming, I left. Every one of the companies either went out of business or suffered serious business collapses.

I think it is a sign of how much MB employees were connected to the business that they would recognize a serious problem and be willing to stand up to address it.

Talking about "firing" masses of people who all walk off the job is simplistic. The business needs the experienced people as much as the people need the business for jobs. Losing a significant amount of your workforce is extremely disruptive, perhaps fatally so, to a business. To management trying to build a business it would be unthinkable. To management only interested in getting their money out of the business, maybe they just don't care.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:13 AM   #282
Rusty

I think the employees of MB should have realized that the Demoulas family has been in some bizarre squabbles and now they created another one that is just as bizarre.

Read this about a Hotel that was built by the Demoulas family and never used: http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...WS02/140829663

Winnisquamguy (08-24-2014)
Old 08-22-2014, 07:43 AM   #283
dave603

Default Scott and Tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott's Yott View Post
It's not so much that they don't like the boss, it's more that they are afraid the new bosses will destroy the business.

It's like what happened at Circuit City:
"In 2007, the starting wage for new employees was dropped from $8.75 an hour down to $7.40 an hour ($6.55 being the federal minimum wage at the time). In a press release on March 28, 2007, Circuit City announced that in a "wage management" decision in order to cut costs, it had laid off approximately 3400 better-paid associates and would re-staff the positions at the lower market-based salaries. Laid-off associates were provided severance and offered a chance to be re-hired after ten weeks at prevailing wages. The Washington Post reported interviews with management concerning the firings.

The Post later reported in May 2007 that the layoffs, and consequent loss of experienced sales staff, appeared to be "backfiring" and resulting in slower sales."

How many of those are still around?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_City
Old 08-22-2014, 07:49 AM   #284
SIKSUKR

Wow,Rusty that pretty much says it all.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:32 PM   #285
tis

Well, the wedding was today. I never saw so many limos around here at one time. It must be quite an event! MPs are on duty by their house.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:36 PM   #286
topwater

What are the NON WORKING market basket employees doing for money? Independently wealthy? New jobs? unemployment? This is not a wise ass question, I along with a ton of other people are curious on how they are getting by.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:15 PM   #287
KeepItSimple

security at the wedding is pretty tight. a uniformed officer stopped us on the road to our camp which is just around the bend from the wedding site and asked if we were on the confirmed guest list.

the band sounds good though. and the seaplane thats been flying people in for the past few days has been putting on quite a show for my 2 and 4 year old kids with landings and takeoffs right in front of our dock.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:50 AM   #288
Greene's Basin Girl

WMUR said today may be the big day. Arthur T. is willing to give his relatives what they want to purchase the business. Only time will tell what the future holds.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:25 AM   #289
pcmc

If Arthur T. is the genius businessman, and the other, the geniass of the family, I hope he can regain the trust of his employes and his customers rally back.
This whole mess is awful.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:24 PM   #290
RLW

Smile

KeepItSimple, I was just browsing through the forum and noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum after joining back in July 2010. We are glad that you have come aboard and joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Great to see ya back posting on the forum. We look forward to see a lots more of you here.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:47 PM   #291
Pineedles

I haven't offered an opinion on this issue, yet but have been following thread as well as internet and newspaper articles. I find it amazing that any group of employees would be willing to forgo their paychecks for so long. There must be something that ATD has that appeals to these people. I am reminded of the mill in Mass that burned down and the owner kept paying his people until the business was rebuilt. Well wishes to all those that are struggling with missed paychecks.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:44 PM   #292
Jeanzb1

Just saw online that the meeting scheduled for 10 p.m. tonight has been cancelled.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:18 PM   #293
Rusty

But Hassan and Patrick said that they were optimistic a deal will be reached this weekend.

Why don't these two Gov's just stick to fixing some of problems that they have instead of sticking their nose into something that they appear to know nothing about.

Let the MB board members or the CEO tell us when something is going to happen.

Arthur S is on his honeymoon now and doesn't have the energy to be bothered with making a deal. Nothing can happen until Arthur S. says it can, simple as that.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:12 AM   #294
AC2717

Quote:
But Hassan and Patrick said that they were optimistic a deal will be reached this weekend.

Why don't these two Gov's just stick to fixing some of problems that they have instead of sticking their nose into something that they appear to know nothing about.

Let the MB board members or the CEO tell us when something is going to happen.

Arthur S is on his honeymoon now and doesn't have the energy to be bothered with making a deal. Nothing can happen until Arthur S. says it can, simple as that.
rumor mill is that Patrick's Wife best friend works for the lawyer representing Artie S
Old 08-25-2014, 08:46 AM   #295
CateP

Default The Latest

12:03 AM EDT Aug 23, 2014
MANCHESTER, N.H. —A deal may be close to end a weeks-long dispute at Market Basket and restore the former CEO.

In a joint statement from New Hampshire Gov. Maggie Hassan and Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick, the governors said they believe a deal will be reached.

"In briefings today, all parties report that they are optimistic that an agreement will be reached to sell the company to Arthur T. Demoulas and to restore him to operating authority on an interim basis until the sale closes," the statement said.

"Subject to reducing their agreement in principle to writing by Sunday, the board will forestall taking adverse employment action against the employees who have abandoned their jobs. We are hopeful that employees will return to work, and the stores will reopen, early next week."

The statement was issued late Friday, after a source close to the Market Basket negotiations said a board meeting scheduled for Saturday was pushed back to Sunday and possibly Monday.

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/money/workers-ho...#ixzz3BPYpwfyE
Old 08-25-2014, 09:32 AM   #296
jeffk

I guess we will see.

Last edited by jeffk; 08-25-2014 at 09:33 AM. Reason: image error
Old 08-25-2014, 12:05 PM   #297
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
I am reminded of the mill in Mass that burned down and the owner kept paying his people until the business was rebuilt.
You would be refering to Aaron Feuerstein of Malden Mills (Polortec fleece).
Pineedles (08-25-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 07:14 PM   #298
Rusty

Did you hear the latest? "NOTHING"!
Old 08-25-2014, 08:43 PM   #299
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
12:03 AM EDT Aug 23, 2014
MANCHESTER, N.H. —A deal may be close to end a weeks-long dispute at Market Basket and restore the former CEO.

In a joint statement from New Hampshire Gov. Maggie Hassan and Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick, the governors said they believe a deal will be reached.
Honestly, I don't think either of these two gov's have any real insight or idea as to what is going on. They're just grandstanding on this trying to get free exposure and come off as "working for the people".
JanN (08-26-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 08:48 PM   #300
ITD

Quote:
Did you hear the latest? "NOTHING"!
It's coming, this is a $3 billion business that is being decimated because of this, if it doesn't get fixed soon it will be worth pennies on the dollar. That being said, we are talking about a $1 billion+ transaction between people who hate each other, it won't happen overnight but even the biggest of fools would not let that much wealth evaporate which is what will happen if they don't act.

That being said, I predict a deal within one to two weeks.
Closed Thread