Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2014, 11:52 PM   #1
jazzman

Default Swamped Jet Ski

Does anyone have any experience with a submerged jet ski? I woke up the other morning to find my new 2014 130 GTI SE Sea Doo sitting on the bottom (luckily it was only docked in a couple feet of water).

I was able to pump it out and get it afloat again, but the engine was pretty much totally submerged. I did manage to convince Irwin Marine who I bought it from to come tow it away since I was afraid it might sink before I could get it to a boat ramp.

It looks like the carbon ring was leaking. Once I pumped it out, that is where the water was coming back in.

Does anyone have any experience with reviving a submerged engine? I did not attempt to start it, but it was clearly pretty much all the way under. I always thought these things had positive floatation, but it sure looked like it could have actually sank if it had been in deeper water. I think it would have pretty easily rolled if it wasn't sitting on the bottom.
Attached Images

jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:25 AM   #2
ITD

You need to act quickly. A 2014 should still be under warranty, bring it to the dealer.

If not, you need to dry it out, quickly. Change the oil, flush out the crankcase if needed, pull the spark plugs, make sure there is no water in the cylinders. Check the gas, make sure no water got into the tank, it shouldn't have. Check the battery, it should be ok to, but replace if necessary. Once you know there is no water in the cylinders and you have changed the oil, I would get it running. Heat will finish drying out the engine.

I wouldn't delay, things are rusting inside that engine and will turn it into junk quickly.

I have two jet skis and have lifts for them. They last much longer if they are stored out of the water.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-15-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 07:29 AM   #3
chipj29

Pretty solid advice from ITD. Get it running ASAP.
And get that warranty item (carbon ring) fixed?
BroadHopper (08-15-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 08:11 AM   #4
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default Time for a new one

If it was me, I would insist on a new jet ski.

Once it has been submerged (through no fault of yours) I would argue that it will never be the same. I am thinking about mechanical issues as well as mold inside the seat foam and any number of other problems. Everything electric (dash, starter motor etc) has been submerged and is prematurely subject to rust.

If Irwin will not agree I would get the name of the manufacturers representative and plead my case.

You paid for the pleasure and enjoyment of a new jet ski and it will never feel the same to you. Good luck!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:22 AM   #5
4Fun

Default happened to mine too

My 96 GTX Seadoo sank because of the carbon ring as well. Seems like a pretty poor design to me. If that thing is slightly out of alignment the water will pour in. I figured they changed the design by now but I guess not.

Mine was a 2 stroke and did not submerge the electronics so I just got the water out of the engine and it was fine. Never did trust that ring again overnight.
If they don't give you a new engine maybe you can get an extended warranty for 4-5 years from Sea Doo.
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2014, 09:43 AM   #6
Rich

If you get it running, run the engine to get it totally up to temperature, more than once, then change the oil. Do this a couple of times.

If any of the wiring, electronics, etc. got wet, it will start to become a problem as things start to corrode. Luckily you're in fresh water, but it can still occur.

See how the dealer warrany will handle this, as it sank due to a faulty carbon ring. I would think they should be totally responsible for this, includnig an extended warranty to ensure that failures or issues in the future as things corrode won't stick you with a lemon.

Good luck!
Old 08-14-2014, 09:48 AM   #7
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

If this was a manufacturers defect, I would plead my case to Irwin, and also to the local regional office of the Manufacturer. If no joy comes from these two sources, then it is time to go to the BBB, especially if any entities involve clam to be part of the BBB.....
Old 08-14-2014, 10:17 AM   #8
Charlie T

Default Thumbs down to BBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
If this was a manufacturers defect, I would plead my case to Irwin, and also to the local regional office of the Manufacturer. If no joy comes from these two sources, then it is time to go to the BBB, especially if any entities involve clam to be part of the BBB.....
Don't even bother with the BBB. They have changed from a respected outfit to a scam outfit themselves. They have little credibility any longer.
Check out this 20/20 report. http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo8kfV9kONw

Sorry for the Hijack of the thread. Good luck with your ride, hopefully the dealer and manufacturer will step up and cover you. I would think since it sunk your insurance should cover it if needed.

Good Luck
CT
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:43 PM   #9
Phantom

Whoaaaaaaa Jazzman !!

Your daughter is gonna be severely pissed

Thank god school starts soon

echoing LIforrelaxin-- That's a brand new machine --- Fight with irwin on warranty replacement !

Old 08-14-2014, 03:19 PM   #10
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie T View Post
Don't even bother with the BBB. They have changed from a respected outfit to a scam outfit themselves. They have little credibility any longer.
Check out this 20/20 report. http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo8kfV9kONw

Sorry for the Hijack of the thread. Good luck with your ride, hopefully the dealer and manufacturer will step up and cover you. I would think since it sunk your insurance should cover it if needed.

Good Luck
CT
I will not claim the BBB to be perfect, however I would not say they are a scam. Certainly if companies want a good rating the need to pay and get BBB credentials.... if they don't pay and aren't part of the BBB and its up to the public to understand that a Bad grade from the BBB means simply that they may not be a member. The key is that the BBB, will help you try and resolve you grievance. My family has used them and the mediation services more then one. The best is when the Company is a member of the BBB, because, then the company has to go along with the mediation results, or take hits on their rating.... Don't bust down the BBB because of sensational journalism.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:10 PM   #11
jazzman

The jet ski was back in the hands of the dealer within hours... The electronics didn't get wet, so hopefully they'll dry it out and it will be fine. I'm sure they'll to try to say it wasn't their fault.

It's been a fine week... 1st a sunk jet ski and today we busted the mast on the NH Boat Museum J24 during a sailing lesson just north of Ship Island. The windward mast shroud pulled right through the deck and the mast snapped just above the boom.
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2014, 04:13 PM   #12
Charlie T

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
I will not claim the BBB to be perfect, however I would not say they are a scam. Certainly if companies want a good rating the need to pay and get BBB credentials.... if they don't pay and aren't part of the BBB and its up to the public to understand that a Bad grade from the BBB means simply that they may not be a member. The key is that the BBB, will help you try and resolve you grievance. My family has used them and the mediation services more then one. The best is when the Company is a member of the BBB, because, then the company has to go along with the mediation results, or take hits on their rating.... Don't bust down the BBB because of sensational journalism.
LI I have to disagree.

My company paid the more than $600.00 annual fee to join and remain current with the BBB. When we realized they were not all they were supposed to be we canceled our membership after several years of active membership. In response to our cancelation we received heavy handed "salesmanship" and thinly veiled threats of what a negative rating would mean to our business. We were told the only way to ensure a positive BBB rating was an active, paid membership.

Personal experience has proven to me that that 20/20 report was not "Sensational journalism" as you claim.
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:16 PM   #13
Phantom

Memo to mind:

Do NOT go near Jazzman or Barndoor Isl this weekend !

Old 08-14-2014, 04:17 PM   #14
jazzman

Certainly don't lend me your boat...
Old 08-14-2014, 04:21 PM   #15
Phantom

Hell no......

It's brand new !

Lol

Old 08-14-2014, 07:33 PM   #16
jazzman

Hell, you let my sister drive it.....
The Following User Says Thank You to jazzman For This Useful Post:
Phantom (08-15-2014)
Old 08-15-2014, 07:47 AM   #17
Bernie Girl

What a week you've all had!
Bernie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:13 AM   #18
chipj29

You can threaten all you want, and Irwin's might even back you up. But I highly doubt you will get a new Sea Doo from Bombardier. You might be successful asking for an extended warranty.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:38 PM   #19
Great Northern Cleaning

Default BBB is most definitely a scam….

Sorry to go off course with this thread…

So I have been in business for 30+ years right here in the Lakes Region. I have always had and still do have an A+ rating with the BBB of NH. For the last 4 years…the NH BBB has literally harassed my company with repeated phone calls on a monthly basis telling us of all the benefits of having a paid membership to the BBB. I finally give in…they tell me its gonna be $375.00 for a year membership…down from the original $1000 fee they offered 4 years ago…what a bargain…anyways..they say they will bill my credit card for 3 months at $125.00 per month…fine…sounds good to me…sign me up. So the next thing I know…my office manager is getting threatening phone calls from the NH BBB to take the BBB logo off from our website for non payment or they will give us a bad rating on our BBB report card. What…huh…but you said you were going to bill my credit card…we got no bills in the mail…unbelievable. So i basically write this same letter to the NH BBB…they email me back saying if I want to pay the remaining $250.00 they will reinstate my membership…ahhhhh…no I am all set with you boneheads!! and that is my 2 cents on the NH BBB!!
Great Northern Cleaning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Great Northern Cleaning For This Useful Post:
Charlie T (08-15-2014)
Old 08-15-2014, 01:47 PM   #20
RailroadJoe

And what amount of money does the BBB office get and where does the balance go?? I gave up on them years ago along with Publishers Clearing House.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:05 PM   #21
Denny Crane

Default Carbon Ring

Where is the carbon ring? Is it something that should be replaced as part of maintenance?
Thanks
DC
Denny Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:20 PM   #22
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Sorry to continue off topic, but I agree, the BBB is useless. Don't bother with them.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (08-16-2014)
Old 08-15-2014, 03:44 PM   #23
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post
Where is the carbon ring? Is it something that should be replaced as part of maintenance?
Thanks
DC
I was wondering the same thing...what and where is the carbon ring.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:03 PM   #24
fasttech

I'm sure Irwin took care of you they have nothing but great people at the Alton store. Did they get it back to you yet?
fasttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:37 PM   #25
jazzman

So yes, it was a carbon ring leak. A pretty big one too since it totally flooded the engine compartment over the course of less than 12 hours.

Irwin's fixed it all for free. There was no damage to the electronics. The oil did get contaminated with water so they had to flush the oil a couple times.

It seems to run fine and I already have a 3 year extended warranty as part of the sea doo summer incentives.

The carbon ring is part of the coupling between the engine and the jet drive. I don't believe it's a routine maintenance item and in this case it was a new machine with only 5 hours on it anyway. There are a few complaints about leaking carbon rings on new machines on the internet.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:32 PM   #26
Heading4thelake

Default Irwin

I will say I've used them since they took over from Hillcrest Marine, their
service dept. in 2nd to none, I have many machines and anytime I have a problem they just say get it here ! And no I have no affiliation with these guys
just good service.
Heading4thelake is offline   Reply With Quote