Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-01-2008, 07:24 PM   #1
Overlake97

Thumbs up Panama Bill's Bar-b-que (Laconia)

Has anyone tried Panama Bill's Seafood and Bar-B-que in Laconia? I've been there 3 times so far (all take out; it's not really a sit-down place), and have been impressed each time. On my first and second visits I ordered the pulled pork sandwich, which was about $7. The sandwich was great: Excellent pork and barbeque sauce on a nice, chewey sesame roll. For the price, that would have been enough, but there was also a large portion of fresh hand-cut french fries and a small cup of cole slaw. So good I had to get it again on my second visit. On my third visit I went for the half rack of ribs (rather than quarter or full) which came with barbequed beans, those great fries, cole slaw and corn bread (I think). The rib rack was large (for a half), as were the ribs; four filled me up so I had three more for the next day (which did not go to waste!). Again, everything was excellent. I could have used a larger portion of beans, but everything else was fine, including the nice size portion of barbeque sauce that came on the side. If you like barbeque/ribs, you really have to give Panama Bill's a try. He occupies the building left vacant by Kassidy's internation Pizza, near the busy corner in Laconia.
Overlake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Overlake97 For This Useful Post:
angela4design (09-02-2008), BroadHopper (09-02-2008), Irrigation Guy (09-01-2008), kthy66 (09-05-2008), robmac (09-02-2008)
Old 09-03-2008, 07:14 AM   #2
Boston Fireguy

Default Panama Bill's Seafood and Bar-B-que

Where in Laconia? First I've heard of it.....
Boston Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:02 AM   #3
angela4design

Default Location...

It's in "Normandin Square", aka BUSY CORNER. It was a doughnut shop ages ago, then Kassidy's Pizza.

I plan to try it... I think he used to be the 'BBQ master' when B-Mae's had a BBQ restaurant several years ago (I forget the name). I remember great food! And, I think Panama Bill delivers! I see his car around with the light on top.
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:58 AM   #4
Scott

I had a pulled pork sandwich from them and was very pleased. It was the best I've had around here.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:59 PM   #5
Argie's Wife

Thumbs up The Best Dang Q...

I'm glad Argie doesn't read this forum because he'd have a fit if he knew what I had for lunch today and didn't get for him!

The pulled pork bbq sandwich with fries, slaw, and a side of bbq sauce for $5 is more than a meal. I got it "to go" and am pleasantly suprised at what was in the bag!

First off, not only do you get everything in a nice styro clamshell to keep it hot, but you also get a little bundle of plasticwear, wet-nap, napkin, salt & pepper and a toothpick.

The food was hot and made fresh to order - no fries under a heat lamp or pre-wrapped sandwiches.

The portions were beyond good. The pork sandwich is chewy and not greasy at all. There's bbq sauce in the sandwich, but it's cooked in and not drippy at all. There's a side of bbq sauce to dip your sandwich in if you want more zing. The fries appear to be hand cut - if not, they're still good and hot. The meat is honestly smoked and has a reddish/pink tint to it - it's not just overcooked pork in a slowcooker, like I had anticipated. It has a smoky taste that goes well with the sauce.

Now... about that bbq sauce...

Magic in a bowl. I'm a lucky woman because I've had the best bbq on earth - Dreamland BBQ in Tuscaloosa, AL. Ask anyone who's lived in AL and they'll tell you; Dreamland is the type of place where you get your meat served to you wrapped up in newspapers and the price is low but it's so good that the owner is a millionaire (I'm not making this up!). The bbq sauce is sweet and turns a little warm - almost hot - later on but sticks to the meat like it should.... makes you want to dip your fries in it.

Well, I think Panama Bill is channeling Dreamland. There's no higher compliment than that!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
dykg (06-10-2009), flyguy (09-10-2008), SAMIAM (09-08-2008)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2008, 05:01 PM   #6
bbq1

Thumbs up Ref.panamabills bbq & seafood

this place is alsome can not belived that in laconia nh exsits the best dang q ( for all you tender foots best dang bbq)the pork is so tender the brisket to die for melts right in you mouth not in your hand ha! ha! m&m joke!if you haven't tried this hole in the wall you don't know what your missing check out there menu at www.panamabills.net or www.bestdangq.com
bbq1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:17 AM   #7
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default Hmmmmmmmmmmm.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq1 View Post
this place is alsome can not belived that in laconia nh exsits the best dang q ( for all you tender foots best dang bbq)the pork is so tender the brisket to die for melts right in you mouth not in your hand ha! ha! m&m joke!if you haven't tried this hole in the wall you don't know what your missing check out there menu at www.panamabills.net or www.bestdangq.com
First post (all in caps) by bbq1, who joined the forum September 2008, hyping the place and heaping praise.

Just a guess but, me thinks that the owner may be promoting his own interest.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (10-08-2008), sa meredith (10-08-2008), SIKSUKR (10-08-2008)
Old 10-08-2008, 08:41 AM   #8
ironhorsetim

Cool If it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
First post (all in caps) by bbq1, who joined the forum September 2008, hyping the place and heaping praise.

Heaven know's it wouldn't be the first time someone's done that here

"Always do sober,what you say you'll do drunk,
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"
Ernest Hemmingway
ironhorsetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:48 AM   #9
Bigstan

Well, it may be blatant self promotion......but after 1 try I will testify that it is as
'ALSOME' as he claims.
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:29 PM   #10
sa meredith

Default Friday

I'm going to be over that way on Friday or Saturday this week, and plan on giving it a try. Seems like it might be a good lunch spot.
And maybe I, too, will "belived" how "alsome" it is.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:32 PM   #11
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstan View Post
Well, it may be blatant self promotion......but after 1 try I will testify that it is as
'ALSOME' as he claims.

If nothing else, it will drive the customer count up a bit, as people will now want to 'try it out'...
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:33 PM   #12
Waterbaby

Default RE: Hmmmmmmmmmm...........

Quote:

First, may I say that the first post by bbq1 isn't all in caps -- unless that poster edited the post to change it all to lower case.

Second, there were five posts before the one bbq1 made, all heaping praise on the place..........

Third, what does it matter that the poster only joined in September 2008 and is (daring to) post in October of 2008? Does that make the review, so to speak, any less credible?

Sorry for the rant, but really, I think some of these issues have been well-covered in the recent past, especially the ones about new posters coming onto Winni.com and not being "credible". I'm all done now.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:03 PM   #13
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbaby View Post
First, may I say that the first post by bbq1 isn't all in caps -- unless that poster edited the post to change it all to lower case.

Second, there were five posts before the one bbq1 made, all heaping praise on the place..........

Third, what does it matter that the poster only joined in September 2008 and is (daring to) post in October of 2008? Does that make the review, so to speak, any less credible?

Sorry for the rant, but really, I think some of these issues have been well-covered in the recent past, especially the ones about new posters coming onto Winni.com and not being "credible". I'm all done now.
First: It was all caps and has since been changed.

Second: There was not a question of whether the place was good or not, that was not the point. The people that posted before had credibility and their opinion did not seem to come from a biased point of view.

Third: Would you think that the review was less credible if it was the owner pumping up his own establishment?

I thought that my observation was worth pointing out, sorry if you didn't!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:43 AM   #14
ILoveWinnipesaukee

Thumbs down I thought these forums where open to anyone's OPINION

Quote:

Second: There was not a question of whether the place was good or not, that was not the point. The people that posted before had credibility and their opinion did not seem to come from a biased point of view.

Third: Would you think that the review was less credible if it was the owner pumping up his own establishment?

Seems some members of this forum feel if you are a newcomer you should sit quietly by and let them post without giving your opinion. I for one new person may just go elsewhere with this type of attitude.

Who cares if the poster is the owner doing advertising, a new member of the forum or an honest Joe going to a restaurant. Oh, maybe only members that agree with the above are accepted.
ILoveWinnipesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ILoveWinnipesaukee For This Useful Post:
christo1 (10-09-2008), Resident 2B (10-09-2008), Rose (10-09-2008), SLI (10-09-2008)
Old 10-09-2008, 07:01 AM   #15
Happy Gourmand

Cool Omg!!!!!

Deja-vu all over again!!
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:44 AM   #16
SIKSUKR

If you people can't see the difference between a new member giving a review and a new member/owner of a restaurant coming here and telling everyone how good his place is like he's just another customer then what standards do you use?
kaj (10-10-2008)
Old 10-09-2008, 10:50 AM   #17
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveWinnipesaukee View Post
Seems some members of this forum feel if you are a newcomer you should sit quietly by and let them post without giving your opinion. I for one new person may just go elsewhere with this type of attitude.
Good-bye........
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:58 AM   #18
Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
If you people can't see the difference between a new member giving a review and a new member/owner of a restaurant coming here and telling everyone how good his place is like he's just another customer then what standards do you use?
My standard is that I don't publicly assume that someone is the owner of the place in question and call them out when I don't have solid evidence of that. Guess I like to think the best until proven otherwise, so I'll take it as the review of a satisfied customer.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rose For This Useful Post:
christo1 (10-09-2008), rander7823 (10-09-2008), Resident 2B (10-09-2008), Waterbaby (10-09-2008)
Old 10-09-2008, 12:29 PM   #19
sa meredith

Default overboard?

Quote:

Folks...this really just seems like an "off the cuff" light hearted comment, meaning no real harm. Nothing like some of the venom spewed forth this past summer on some of the restaurant threads.

The post in question was a bit strange...all caps (it was, anyway), choppy sentences, and it spoke of "ALSOME BBQ". A bit "off the beaten path", no?

My question would be...do they have any half tables there? I am going to stop in tomorrow, and will be alone, and would like to face a wall.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:41 PM   #20
Waterbaby

Smile Okay, Okay!

Quote:

I said perhaps the post was changed, and it was. Thank you. Re: third -- actually, I would think the post had zero credibility if it were made by the owner -- especially since there was no mention in the post that he/she owns the place.

I never said your observation wasn't worth pointing out and I'm very sorry if you felt that was what I was intimating. I was just wondering why it would matter that said poster just joined and made his/her first post and because of that lacked credibility or was assumed to be the owner. I guess I can understand your comment now that I've read your reply and thought about it, as you seem to have felt the post was coming from a biased point of view, assuming this was the owner of the place. I myself was just reading the post as from another fan of the place.

At any rate, I'm offering the white flag -- truce? Thanks.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:53 PM   #21
Waterbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Okay, I can definitely see the difference. BUT, how do we know for sure when it's "a new member/owner of a restaurant coming here and telling everyone how good his place is like he's just another customer" or "a new member giving a review"?

If I suspected the person was the restaurant owner like TiltonBB did in this instance, then I probably wouldn't give the post any credibility. Do we just assume a person making his/her first post on a particular thread, saying how great the business being talked about is, is the owner of said business? Or do we just assume it's a new poster who loves the business? Me, I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt and assume the latter.
ILoveWinnipesaukee (10-15-2008)
Old 10-09-2008, 05:02 PM   #22
Waterbaby

Talking Love your levity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
Folks...this really just seems like an "off the cuff" light hearted comment, meaning no real harm. Nothing like some of the venom spewed forth this past summer on some of the restaurant threads.

The post in question was a bit strange...all caps (it was, anyway), choppy sentences, and it spoke of "ALSOME BBQ". A bit "off the beaten path", no?

My question would be...do they have any half tables there? I am going to stop in tomorrow, and will be alone, and would like to face a wall.
You must wear a name tag so that they may be sure to accomodate you, lol. Let us know how the view is!

Seriously, can't wait to hear your review -- you always seem very fair and impartial, IMO.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:07 AM   #23
Argie's Wife

Maybe I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree, but it's not a stretch to say that "bbq1" is most likely the owner of the place, ya think?

Welcome bbq1! Glad you joined us, Bill!

Maybe he hasn't had much experience with forums or has netiquette (internet manners - i.e. not writing in all caps which is the same as shouting. We all had to learn at some point, right?) But if you take the time to talk with Bill you'll learn the guy is really genuine and just wants to make a good product that people will buy. That's why he's in business. A little self-promotion can be good at times and I don't see it as being inappropriate on a thread discussing his business. If there was a thread about my line of work going on here or my business, I'd probably chime in - as would anyone.

Honestly, I don't see why this is an issue...

p.s.
Think of it like this - we have a symbiotic relationship with many of the businesses in the area. We discuss them there and it's free publicity for them; we buy their services or products and it's money that stays in the area. We have forum fests or other events and they might bless us with goodies to sample or raffle for charity - (see the pics of what Loves Bites sent to the forum fest this year!) Seriously - it's good for all.

p.s.s.
No, there's just one picnic table in the place. I'd give the ambiance a rating of "3" on a scale of one to ten. If it was a "true" bbq joint, they should be playing swamp blues, have sawdust and peanut shells on the floor and maybe one more picnic table. Who knows, maybe Bill is going to hire a decorator but in the meantime... it's a serious hole in the wall but one worth finding. (Oh, and a liquor license would be nice. Gotta have beer with bbq.)
Old 10-10-2008, 09:11 AM   #24
Newbiesaukee

I am always a little skeptical of a first post, BUT we are all intelligent enough to make our own decisions. This discussion, which we have had before, seems a bit silly as all the comments have been reasonable, some funny, but let's drop this and I hope no one leaves the forum because of this. What is the point of an open discussion if we all think the same and no one disagrees?
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (10-10-2008)
Old 10-10-2008, 09:41 AM   #25
Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
but let's drop this and I hope no one leaves the forum because of this.
And what if they do? How do you get them back? All I know is I feel like I'm wasting my time reading snide remarks.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:19 PM   #26
SIKSUKR

So,according to AW he IS the owner.It would be one thing if he let you know that when he posted his phony review.It is certainly another when its posted to make it appear he was a satisfied customer.BIG difference in my opinion.I feel like I'm wasting my time with biased reviews.
Waterbaby (10-10-2008)
Old 10-10-2008, 02:49 PM   #27
ironhorsetim

Default back on track

My wife and I went for late lunch (2:30) and both of us had the special. I gotta say that's some goooood grub
Thanks to all that recommended it !

Ernest Hemmingway
Old 10-10-2008, 03:33 PM   #28
Argie's Wife

No offense SIKSUKR but I agree that it would be nice if bbq1 would identify himself as owner or customer but nonetheless - how did his post hurt anyone or anything? (My impression is that he's not too computer/internet savvy, ya know... no harm there - people learn.)

Besides, his post is all the slogans from the restaurant's menu and delivery car, if you read them. He's a nice guy - honest. I don't think he's trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes with his post.

It's like anything else on this forum - read thru the posts and pick out what interests you or what you believe.... after all, it's an opinion forum. Consensus seems to be that it's a good place and recommended.

Peace.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:32 PM   #29
WinnDixie

Default Just a "post script"!

It's like anything else on this forum - read thru the posts and pick out what interests you or what you believe.... after all, it's an opinion forum. Consensus seems to be that it's a good place and recommended.

Peace.[/QUOTE]

I like your sentiment on the forum, Argie's Wife. I don't know the place in question...I think it is where Laflamme's Donuts were many years ago (and they were to die for!!). But I do want to put a PS on Dreamland. You are so right about it. Now there are several locations, Birmingham and possibly Atlanta...and one came to Huntsville about 4 years ago. We have not gotten our ribs on newspaper...progressed to paper plates now...but they do plop down a torn open loaf of white bread and you can dip away in the sauce until your meat arrives. Very good, and a bit spicy. You can watch them cook TONS of meat in a huge oven right near you. We've taken a number of visiting Northern friends there, and they love it. Like their slogan says "Ain't nothin' like 'em, nowhere"! BTW, their baked beans taste quite like New England ones.
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:33 PM   #30
Pineedles

Default Owner's response?

So where is the owner's response to this controversy? What was the intention and the internet skill set present at the time of the posting?
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:37 PM   #31
Argie's Wife

Pineneedles - I get your question but I'm not sure I can answer it.

For full disclosure - the first time I went to the place, I told the owner something like, "I heard about you on winnipesakuee.com and you should check it out..." To be honest - Bill didn't seem like he knew what a "forum" on the internet meant - and I certainly don't mean that to sound judgmental or anything of the sort. Anyhow, that was b-e-f-o-r-e I wrote my review about the food. I was working that day and picked up lunch just cuz it had a good review and was cheap. And then I wrote my review.

Fast forward a couple of weeks - I went back to get supper (I think it was last Sunday night) on my way home from work and Argie had been playing "Mr. Mom" all day and Bill told me that he had checked out the forum. He was really pleased with what people had to say - just real humble about it all.

I honestly can't remember if he told me he'd posted something or not - but for real... the food is really the best bbq I've had here in New England since I moved back up here.

========

WinnDixie - Did you mean "Goody Good Doughnuts"? Because according to hubby, LaFlamme's Doughnuts is now Water Street Cafe but the original is where the Landmark Inn is now.

At any rate, I appreciate your comments about Dreamland. Hubby 1.0 (the one I had before my upgrade) worked for the owner of Dreamland by bricking several of his restaurants and his home in AL. He often brought home a rack of ribs in newspaper and I thought it was the strangest thing I'd ever seen but they were so wonderful I soon forgot about the awful wrapper! Coupled with a six pack of Miller Genuine Draft and you've got a seven course meal for a redneck!
Old 10-11-2008, 07:04 AM   #32
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
So where is the owner's response to this controversy? What was the intention and the internet skill set present at the time of the posting?
Who cares? As others have said, it doesn't take a whole lot of reading comprehension skills to realize that bbq1 was not trying to deceive anyone.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:33 AM   #33
Pineedles

Default Who cares?

Ok, I agree. I was just trying to get some closure on the discussion. If the place has good eats and good service what's the difference. Chaulk it up to inexperience and let it go at that. Personally I love BBQ, just gotta do it in moderation like fried foods.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:36 AM   #34
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
No offense SIKSUKR but I agree that it would be nice if bbq1 would identify himself as owner or customer but nonetheless - how did his post hurt anyone or anything? (My impression is that he's not too computer/internet savvy, ya know... no harm there - people learn.)

Besides, his post is all the slogans from the restaurant's menu and delivery car, if you read them. He's a nice guy - honest. I don't think he's trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes with his post.

Peace.
Fair enough AW.I'll leave this alone now and let my prior posts stand for what they are,MY opinion.Best of luck to BBQ1 and his restaurant.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:43 AM   #35
phoenix

phantom It is time for you to try and give us your views
Old 10-11-2008, 10:58 AM   #36
WinnDixie

Default confused

AW...I might be confused (can you imagine--young thing like me??)... but,the ones I remember getting were way back in the 60's, and I thought my husband's family referred to it as Laflammes. It may well have been Goody Good's...but never have tasted a donut as "good" since!! Oh well...back to barbecue...
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:00 AM   #37
chow machine

Thumbs up talk is cheap

dang... ya'll need to stop the nonsense and try it for yourselfs. i live right down the road and just about live at p.bs... if you do like ribs and bbq this place is the best period,and if you ask nice enough and there not to busy bill will show you the smoker and everything[wont tell me how they make the rub though but i'm still trying] real nice people great food,and the best ribs ive ever had. if your not sure what to get, then get the b.o.b, you get a big portion of everything
chow machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:49 AM   #38
brk-lnt

The wife and I went in this past Saturday for a couple of pulled pork BBQ sandwiches. Absolutely fabulous BBQ, some of the best I've ever had (and I travel a bit for work, including a lot of stops in the south). This is the sort of place that you probably wouldn't think to try just by driving past it, but it is worth going out of your way for.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:37 PM   #39
sa meredith

Default never went

Is it possible to review a restaurant that the writer never visited?

I'm posting this, just so others who might not know, realize what I did not.
On Friday, I had every intention of having lunch here (Panama Bill's BBQ). I had planned on being solo, but my better half made it up to the lake early, so I allowed her to tag along (hahaahahhaha).
Anyway, I had written the address down, but normally, never take a right onto Union Ave when I am at the traffic light (facing Fratello's). But, based on the address, a right hand turn was needed. So we cruised down a bit, keeping our eyes peeled. And, soon spotted the "Busy Corner" sign, and then, right across the street, we saw Panama Bill's. Now, although it was not what I expected, I would have gone in if I was alone. However, the two of us were looking to have lunch, and sit and relax for a bit. And the place just does not look very inviting. The tables I could see from the two large windows were simply picnic tables.They probably are just fine for the place, but it is just not what we were looking for, at that moment. It seems to be more along the lines of a sub-shop/ pizza place concept. Take your food and leave. And we just decided to turn back and hit another spot.
So, in case anyone was planning a trip over to Panama Bill's, and was not sure what the style of the restaurant was...now you know.
I have no doubt the food is great, based on what I have read in this thread.
Don't let my feelings regarding the place keep you away. But it may not be the place to pack up the kids and head over to.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:34 PM   #40
chow machine

Thumbs up stuck up sa

you missed out...whats wrong with a picnic table, what do you expect from bbq,5 star waiters and a candle lit dinner. last i knew you eat the bbq not the curtains and paint job

Last edited by chow machine; 10-14-2008 at 08:48 PM. Reason: spelling
chow machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:14 PM   #41
Newbiesaukee

Thanks, sa. You can't review the food in a place you haven't eaten, but you can give an honest appraisal as you did of the physical situation. There is nothing wrong with picnic tables, but it is helpful to know if you are planning to take a long trip for lunch. This is the kind of information that is useful to Forum members. It is neither pro nor con; just factual information. sa doesn't deserve the criticism.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (10-14-2008)
Old 10-14-2008, 09:20 PM   #42
Argie's Wife

See post #23 - I "warned" you about the decor (or lack thereof)...

Best advice: Get it "to go" and eat it while watching a good game or take it to the park for a picnic!
Old 10-14-2008, 10:14 PM   #43
Bigstan

Default Picnic tables

Chow Machine - nothing at all is wrong with picnic tables, with a roll of paper towels on top it just spells BBQ. You just forgot to include the 'dang' that has been in all your Panama posts......
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:46 AM   #44
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstan View Post
Chow Machine - nothing at all is wrong with picnic tables, with a roll of paper towels on top it just spells BBQ. You just forgot to include the 'dang' that has been in all your Panama posts......
You "all" of the 1 post he made before the one you commented on?
Old 10-15-2008, 07:55 AM   #45
sa meredith

Default Not me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chow machine View Post
you missed out...whats wrong with a picnic table, what do you expect from bbq,5 star waiters and a candle lit dinner. last i knew you eat the bbq not the curtains and paint job
STUCK UP???!!!
No, you have the wrong guy. You'll never meet a more "every day Joe" than myself. Although I do work hard, and strive for life's finer things (who doesn't?).
As I thought I clearly stated, it just was not what we were looking for at that moment. Is that so bad?
There is nothing wrong with picnic tables....give me and the boys a bucket of beers, some bbq, and a roll of paper towles any time...in fact, hold off on the paper towels, I'll use my shirt!
I'm sorry you took my post the way you did, and I can certainly understand.
It's just that, we were looking for a place to spend an hour and a half or so.
Sorry.

Last edited by sa meredith; 10-15-2008 at 01:42 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sa meredith For This Useful Post:
Waterbaby (10-16-2008)
Old 10-15-2008, 09:41 AM   #46
ironhorsetim

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by chow machine View Post
May I ask if you have any interest in PBB's ? Not that it matters just curious, I've been there myself and it's great

Ernest Hemmingway
Old 10-16-2008, 06:01 AM   #47
dpg

Sorry for asking for probably the fifth time but where exactly are they? I'm not familiar with "busy corner" or the square. Is there anything else their near most people (who read here) would recognize?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:12 AM   #48
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Sorry for asking for probably the fifth time but where exactly are they? I'm not familiar with "busy corner" or the square. Is there anything else their near most people (who read here) would recognize?
Follow Union Ave about 1 mile south of Fratellos. Busy Corner is labeled as such, although you wouldn't generally call it "busy" just by observation.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:26 AM   #49
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Hope this Google link helps...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...04506&t=h&z=17
Old 10-16-2008, 02:50 PM   #50
Overlake97

Default Map showing Panama Bill's

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...=16&iwloc=addr

Hopefully, this will work.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:45 PM   #51
Waterbaby

Default Near the Brickfront?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Follow Union Ave about 1 mile south of Fratellos. Busy Corner is labeled as such, although you wouldn't generally call it "busy" just by observation.
Not sure if that's the name of the restaurant I'm thinking of, and not sure if that's the location -- isn't it where, if you bear left you go toward Tilton and if you bear right you end up downtown Laconia? I could be totally confused on this, which wouldn't be the first time, !
Old 10-17-2008, 05:43 AM   #52
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbaby View Post
Not sure if that's the name of the restaurant I'm thinking of, and not sure if that's the location -- isn't it where, if you bear left you go toward Tilton and if you bear right you end up downtown Laconia? I could be totally confused on this, which wouldn't be the first time, !
Yeah, that's pretty much it.
Waterbaby (10-17-2008)
Old 10-18-2008, 05:11 PM   #53
AKADQ

Thumbs up Dang ! That was good customer service.

I went to Panama Bill's yesterday for the first time . After reading many people talk about the Pulled Pork Sandwich with fries & slaw for $5.00 I decided to try it. Upon arriving, I quickly discovered that this special was not being offered (most likely due to it's populartiy) because he was out of Pulled Pork and was exspecting more in soon. Bill quickly pointed out his new special ! 2 Jumbo Taco's with fries for $5.00 plus tax. I reluctantly said yes to the tacos knowing this is not what I had come for. Upon making the taco's in the back kitchen Bill suggested the Brisket Sandwich, knowing that I had come for the pulled pork sandwich. Bill said since he was out of the pulled pork he would honor the previous special with a Brisket sandwich, fries & slaw for the same price of $5.00 plus tax. Without hesitation I quickly said yes !
Dang now thats what I call good customer service at the Q. Anyways the Brisket sandwich was ever so delicious as well as the fries & slaw.
The location of parking can be difficult if busy and the inside atmosphere needs a little attention, but for what this guy is giving for his lunch specials shows that he wants your business. This more than makes up for the negatives. Being in business I don't know where you can go in the Lakes Region and get all this for $5.00. Keep up the good job! Laconia needs more places like this.
AKADQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:46 AM   #54
donnamatrix

Default Loved Panama Bill's

We went on Sunday 10/19/08, around 2pm for a late lunch. Unfortunately, they were totally out of pulled pork (darn it) so we had the brisket sandwich. YUMMY. It was great, not fatty, great flavor, very tender. We told the fellow behind the counter we thought the sandwich was great, and he promptly brought us each a rib to try. Delish -- and a good marketing strategy as well. We met the owner, who came in from making a delivery while we were finishing lunch, and he seems very nice. The food was terrific (wish we didn't live all the way over in Moultonboro sometimes). The decor is nonexistent, but okay, it's not really that type of restaurant. There are a couple picnic tables. But the restaurant is neat , clean - the people friendly, and we'll definitely be going back. SOON
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:12 PM   #55
Sunrise Point

My husband and I went to Panama Bills on Sat. Since we weren't exactly sure where "Busy Corner" was, we parked at the Laconia City Hall and walked over.

I had the beef taco and my husband had the pulled pork sandwich and it was the best! We will definitely go back. Next time, we will get take-out (maybe a B.O.B.) and bring it back to the camp and dine in "style" with candles and maybe a beer of two.

If you haven't tried it, you are missing out on some great food.
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:47 PM   #56
ballerina8p

Default a southern girls opion

my husband heard of real bbq up north we both wanted to try it.we so both loved it, real corned bread and a beef brisket my hubby loved. i love fresh seafood the nantucket was to die for.we will be back
ballerina8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:22 PM   #57
eyenotall777

Default Tryed n' true

Just wanted to let everyone know that my hubby and I tried the Best Dang Q and we were very pleased. It was approx. 5:30 last Fri. evening and we attempted to order the pulled pork, but was out of it. Delivery never came due to storms. It was mentioned that it is cooked for 12hrs. Maybe next time...we opted for the 1/2 rack pork rib dinner and it was very good and hot that we actually had to let it sit for about 10 min. before digging in. Fries were nice and crispy, baked beans, cornbread and my favorite w/ BBQ...coleslaw!! I know I may have mentioned this in previous posts that I am a slaw fan and there are just some places that do not focus on their slaw, sort of use it as a filler. It is a shame how much get's thrown out. But his slaw is perfect! Nice crunch, and light mayo. No horseradish, but if there is, it is very light. Very nice to the palate, I wish the serving was a little more, but it is enough.

It seems to be a one man show, I coud be wrong, but you can tell alot of effort and joy is put into the food. It definately is not a sit down place for a crowd, but a great take out place. They deliver as well. Oh yeah, and the chicken fingers are real. Nice and juicy w/ a side of the BBQ sauce.

We will be back.
eyenotall777 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eyenotall777 For This Useful Post:
SteveA (01-08-2009), Waterbaby (01-08-2009)
Old 01-08-2009, 01:29 PM   #58
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Couldn't resist..

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyenotall777 View Post
Oh yeah, and the chicken fingers are real. Nice and juicy w/ a side of the BBQ sauce.

We will be back.
I've got to try this place.. I never knew chickens had fingers!

Just teasing you, nice review. Thanks
Old 01-18-2009, 12:32 AM   #59
ballerina8p

Thumbs up

Third visit for us,we cannot say enough! Always a treat.I am surprised how quiet it is,obviosly word has not gotten out about "THE BEST DANG Q"
ballerina8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:11 PM   #60
George.

Talking Panama Bills

I had buffalo wings and they were pretty good. I would definitely go there again.
George. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:52 PM   #61
Overlake97

Question Panama Bill's vs. Smoke Shack (new @ Weirs)?

I tried the Smoke Shack's pulled pork. LOTS of pork, but it was basically dry pork with BBQ sauce provided cold in a ketchup squeeze bottle on the side (plus hot sauce, if interested), accompanied by a nice pile of fries. It was good and I'll definitely go again (they've re-modeled nicely, with seating/table service upstairs and down. A big plus). HOWEVER, a few days later I revisited Panama Bill's for comparison, and Bill's pulled pork sandwich (the $5 special) beat Smoke Shack's, hands down! Nice juicy pork, coated with warm BBQ sauce (which is excellent). And his fries are still the best around. Hopefully, the greater visibility of BBQ in the area will enhance business at both places.
The Following User Says Thank You to Overlake97 For This Useful Post:
Ms Molly McKever (06-14-2009)
Old 06-07-2009, 08:07 PM   #62
nkiar

Default I've got to try this place

I've driven by this place many times & seen them loading the deliveries but never knew what kind of place it was- thought it was pizza and subs like someone else mentioned. I think getting an order to go and enjoying it on the porch is in order- soon! Have to say I wouldn't be likely to stop in if not for the posts on this forum. Thanks for all the info on this place- which is fairly close to me, which is another plus. Can't wait to give it a try and I'll post my review when I do. nkiar
nkiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:19 PM   #63
Argie's Wife

Tried 'em for catering for a lunchtime meeting at work (30+ people) and they did great - everyone was pleased and there was almost no leftovers!
Old 06-10-2009, 06:44 PM   #64
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
Tried 'em for catering for a lunchtime meeting at work (30+ people) and they did great - everyone was pleased and there was almost no leftovers!
Glad to hear it! I tried their website and it is not working. I was worried that they were done.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:59 PM   #65
mr1drfl

Default Panama Bill Gone??

I drove by yesterday and it appears that they are closed. Any info????
mr1drfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:05 PM   #66
vmartino26

We also drove by today -- July 5th -- and it appears that they are gone. Another business lost?
vmartino26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:07 PM   #67
Argie's Wife

Just learned that the restaurant is moving - Bill is looking for a better location.

Hope he finds one soon... I'm craving bbq ribs!
The Following User Says Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
Overlake97 (08-03-2009)
Old 08-03-2009, 06:28 PM   #68
garysanfran

Default Bad time to move...

I hope Panama Bills found a new home before locking the doors at the old place. In the middle of the busy summer tourist crowd, not jhaving one's restaurant doors open could be a very bad mistake.

I've had BBQ at both Panama Bills and the Smoke Shack at The Weirs. Both were excellent, but I prefer(ed?) the moistness of Panama Bills and thought the sauce was worthy of the extra distance I had to drive.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:40 PM   #69
jetskier

Post Drove by

Hi all,

We drove by and the building is completely empty. There is a "for lease" sign in the window and nothing redirecting potential patrons to a new location. For all intents and purposes, it looks like the business is gone. If someone knows better, please enlighten us. We really liked Panama Bill's...it would be a shame if they went out of business.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote