Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2021, 12:41 PM   #1
SailinAway

Default Is bittersweet toxic?

Meaning, does it cause an itchy skin rash? I keep getting a rash every time I use the weedwacker in the woods. I suspect bittersweet, but can't find confirmation online that it causes dermatitis.
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 12:52 PM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default skin rash

Some people have allergic reaction. My gf has a reaction. Antihistamin appears to work.
SailinAway (08-20-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 02:16 PM   #3
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Some people have allergic reaction. My gf has a reaction. Antihistamin appears to work.
Thanks. I thought it was my imagination.
Old 08-20-2021, 08:54 PM   #4
Newbiesaukee

Bittersweet and poison ivy both contain a chemical, urushiol, that causes an allergic contact dermatitis in many people.

Everyone seems to have their own favorite remedy. You can’t “spread” it by scratching, but aggressive scratching can lead to infection. In severe cases cortisone systemically works but it’s rarely necessary.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 06:57 PM   #5
ApS

Red face So I Wouldn't Offend My Neighbor, I Let It Grow and Grow...

Since my skin is allergic to just about everything, I had to see what bittersweet looks like.

Sure enough, we've got it close by and Dr. Bovaird isn't here to save me (this time).

In March, a Florida property next door sold, so I spent a day pulling that neighbor's invasive Philodendron off my fence, driveway, across massive oak trees and all over a 24-foot shed. It was so extensive, I had to hire a helper, who was unaffected.

The next day, I developed a rash over most of my right side. I was going to a Dermatologist the next day anyway. The Physicians Assistant was intrigued that the rash didn't itch and that it didn't particularly bother me.

$250 later, application of Clobetasol Propionate cleared it up over 10 days time. I don't know why such a powerful treatment was necessary, but the PA initially suspected a return of shingles .

I'm writing all this, as people can be allergic to 'most anything, and Philodendron is an ordinary houseplant (that can grow much larger outdoors)
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2021, 10:12 PM   #6
SailinAway

Alright, this is serious so lend an ear, please. If you've been using a weedwacker in tall weeds and you find a rash on your skin some days later, GET TESTED FOR LYME DISEASE IMMEDIATELY. I assumed my rash was something like bittersweet (hence my original post here), but it turned out to be lyme.