Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2020, 11:23 AM   #1
bigdog

Default Different types of motor oil ?

Can someone please explain to me what the difference is between regular motor oil and 'high-mileage' motor oil ? I suspect it is hype and or just marketing?

Also, the differences and advantages between synthetic-blend and full synthetic ?
My car just turned 92k miles, and wondering if I should use the 'high-mileage' variety ?

I've always used a standard high quality oil like 'Quaker State', Pennszoil, Valvoline, in the standard 5Wx30 viscosity. I've checked some websites and for my 2011 Subaru Outback, they are suggesting a 'full synthetic' oil.

The Valvoline website in particular states
"Higher-mileage oils are formulated with conditioners that flow into the pores of the engine seals to restore their shape and increase their flexibility. Most rubber seals are designed to swell just enough to stop leaks, and oil refiners pick their "reswelling" ingredients carefully.".

I do know, once you change from a standard motor oil to a synthetic (or blend), you can
never go back, and the viscosity must be the same, and recommended change intervals are the same.

I plan on keeping my car forever, or until it wears out, so would appreciate folks feedback, especially from you motor-heads and engineers.

Thanks !

Last edited by bigdog; 12-26-2020 at 11:24 AM. Reason: spelling
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 11:44 AM   #2
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

I think we need a petrolium engineer to chime in. As a mechanic for over 50 years, I've seen no difference but I have used Mobil 1 for the past 40 years. I do use the high mileage Mobil 1 but I don't really see a difference in performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Can someone please explain to me what the difference is between regular motor oil and 'high-mileage' motor oil ? I suspect it is hype and or just marketing?

Also, the differences and advantages between synthetic-blend and full synthetic ?
My car just turned 92k miles, and wondering if I should use the 'high-mileage' variety ?

I've always used a standard high quality oil like 'Quaker State', Pennszoil, Valvoline, in the standard 5Wx30 viscosity. I've checked some websites and for my 2011 Subaru Outback, they are suggesting a 'full synthetic' oil.

"Higher-mileage oils are formulated with conditioners that flow into the pores of the engine seals to restore their shape and increase their flexibility. Most rubber seals are designed to swell just enough to stop leaks, and oil refiners pick their "reswelling" ingredients carefully.".

I do know, once you change from a standard motor oil to a synthetic (or blend), you can
never go back, and the viscosity must be the same, and recommended change intervals are the same.

I plan on keeping my car forever, or until it wears out, so would appreciate folks feedback, especially from you motor-heads and engineers.

Thanks !
Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 12:15 PM   #3
DEJ

The best advise is to always use what the vehicle manufacturer states in the owners manual.
DEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DEJ For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (12-26-2020)
Old 12-26-2020, 12:20 PM   #4
Biggd

Mobil 1 meets or acceeds all manufactures recomendations. Some maunufacturers of high performance vehicles recomend Mobil 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEJ View Post
The best advise is to always use what the vehicle manufacturer states in the owners manual.
Old 12-26-2020, 12:48 PM   #5
DEJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Mobil 1 meets or acceeds all manufactures recomendations. Some maunufacturers of high performance vehicles recomend Mobil 1.

Yes Mobil 1 does. My point was you can never go wrong with using what the owners manual states.
DEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2020, 02:23 PM   #6
FlyingScot

All the big name motor oils work quite well. The real advantage of Mobil 1 and other synthetics is that in at least some cars they will last extraordinarily long, like up to 15,000 miles, still providing better lubrication than standard. Basically, you can skip the changes between your annual service checkup.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 06:45 PM   #7
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default So glad you posted this...

Quote:

Thanks !
I have thought about the exact same things.
16 months go I bought a new-to- me vehicle- Oil change sticker indicated another oil change in 8,000 miles. I took this to mean synthetic oil, as I would normally change oil in 3,000-4,000 miles.

Even though I hadn't gotten to 8,000, I had the oil changed after six months of ownership.
So- even though I had a trusted shop do the oil, I never got a straight answer just as to what oil was now in- regular v. synthetic? However, the new sticker said to change between 3-5,000. I took this to mean "regular oil".

So- can you "switch" between oils (assuming the filter gets changed out, also)?

I'm not really asking a question here.
I'm just saying that, for all the good intentions expressed in this thread, the OP's question has not been answered- which leaves me still in the dark about answers to this elusive subject!

Thank you!
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 07:29 PM   #8
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPONLY View Post
I'm just saying that, for all the good intentions expressed in this thread, the OP's question has not been answered- which leaves me still in the dark about answers to this elusive subject!

Thank you!
I thought I answered it? The value of Mobil 1 is stretching the time between oil changes, in some cases dramatically. A BMW, just for example, can go something like 15,000 miles and 12 months between changes, making synthetic oil a terrific bargain.

Unfortunately, this is difficult for most people of a certain age to believe. So they change it early because they are nervous.

Of course, with something as important as motor oil, people should check their owner's manual--I would not trust the local mechanic or a random internet penpal on this.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 07:40 PM   #9
WinnisquamZ

So true about those of us at a certain age. I change mine at 5k intervals. Have done so since the. 70’s

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
Blue Thunder (12-29-2020), JEEPONLY (12-27-2020), upthesaukee (12-26-2020)
Old 12-26-2020, 09:12 PM   #10
Biggd

I always recomended to my customers to change their oil evry 5000 miles, even Mobil 1. I'm sure it will go much longer but it still gets dirty, esp if your car is not running properly. I've always changed the Mobil 1 oil on my cars and trucks every 5000 miles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
So true about those of us at a certain age. I change mine at 5k intervals. Have done so since the. 70’s

Old 12-26-2020, 09:45 PM   #11
WinnisquamZ

Have had cars with both. Running standard oil today in the Toyota. I just found the 5k intervals simple to remember

Old 12-26-2020, 11:37 PM   #12
mswlogo

Quote:
I always recomended to my customers to change their oil evry 5000 miles, even Mobil 1. I'm sure it will go much longer but it still gets dirty, esp if your car is not running properly. I've always changed the Mobil 1 oil on my cars and trucks every 5000 miles.

Total waste of money and resources.

Get your oil professionally tested to see how long you can safely go. They will test everything. How well the additives (which are critical) are holding up. How much gasoline is in the oil, the viscosity etc.

Not blindly guessing that 5000 miles is the magic distance for every vehicle and customer.

Newer cars don't run nearly as dirty as they used to. Better oils can "suspend" contaminates better. Better oil filters filter more junk out.

If you are gonna change it at 5000 miles, don't waste your money on synthetic.
Non synthetic oils have improved too.

Time is important too. If you don't drive a lot you might be building up to much water (from condensation) in the oil and not burning it off.

Here is where I've had my oil tested numerous times. I'll do like the first 5 oil changes. Then every 100K after that.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com

If you want to learn about oils this is the play to go.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mswlogo For This Useful Post:
DEJ (12-27-2020)
Old 12-27-2020, 07:53 AM   #13
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Follow the manual

I always have good luck following the owner manual, regardless of what the dealer and or mechanics say. I normally keep my vehicles for a good 10 years regardless of mileage. Never had I have major engine trouble.
2010 MB requires synthetic lube, 1 year or 13,000-mile interval.
The previous 2000 Jeep requires 1 year or 8,000-mile interval with semi-synthetic lube.
Before the Jeep, 1997 Dodge requires 3,000 or 1 year whichever comes first.

I do know that oil manufacturers suggest you change the oil annually. The chemicals used in the oil dissipates after opening.

As for the brand, I always use Wolf's Head. The generic brand from the company that produces the oil for all major brands. Yes, I change my own oil.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:31 AM   #14
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default Don't get me wrong...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
I thought I answered it? The value of Mobil 1 is stretching the time between oil changes, in some cases dramatically. A BMW, just for example, can go something like 15,000 miles and 12 months between changes, making synthetic oil a terrific bargain.

Unfortunately, this is difficult for most people of a certain age to believe. So they change it early because they are nervous.

Of course, with something as important as motor oil, people should check their owner's manual--I would not trust the local mechanic or a random internet penpal on this.
The responses have been very helpful- I'm thinking of the parts where it is asked if you can change back-and-forth on "standard" oils v. "synthetic".
I believe the OP stated that he "knew" you can't go back once you switch- is that really true? If so, I may already have made a major mistake.

Does changing more often than generally recommended make any difference?- whether standard or synthetic.

Not being mechanical, or car-centric- there are many pitfalls to dealing with the realms of unknown- like oils, viscositiy, standard, standard-blend and synthetic that make me blink!
This is why I thanked the OP for starting this thread- even though I don't perform the service for my vehicles, I still would like to know as much as I can about what I'm paying for.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:47 AM   #15
fatlazyless

"Specifically designed high performance formulation with a uniique combination of premium base oils and enhanced additive system to provide increased protection for higher mileage engines." is what it says in the Walmart website on the high mileage SuperTech 5w-20 which now costs $2.88/qt, the same price as the standard version.

That line was probably written by someone who never did an oil change, not even once, in their entire life! ...

For me with my 215,000-miles 2013 Scion xB 5-speed manual with its IRWIN TOYOTA SCION DEFECTIVE ENGINE, it needs about 3/4-qt of oil to be added with every fill-up of 11-gallons gasoline. It makes absolutely no difference to this TOYOTA SCION DEFECTIVE 4-cylinder engine whether it consumes the standard or the high mileage SuperTech Oil in the very familiar dark blue bottle...... www.anewwayforward.org/supertech-oil-review/ ..... same price at $2.88/qt.

Over the 215,000 miles, I have bought a hell of a lot of Walmart oil, and the cruise control just stopped working and there's a dash warning that says "Trac Off" and I plan to take it to Auto Haus - Meredith before I go back to that Irwin Zone to get screwed again.

Let me tell you ..... I have a lot of experience in all types of weather and time of day ..... with adding oil to this here engine. ...

So, where does the oil go ...... it goes wherever it goes ..... don't know? There ain't no oil drips under this car, never. The oil is poured into the engine oil intake plug, and the level of engine oil is shown on the oil dipstick ..... is how this works ..... and after every 11-gal gasoline fill-up, it always needs about a 3/4 qt to bring it up to full, on the dipstick.

Supposedly, Toyota Scions were made with left-over car parts from the 1980's and I believe it. The ignition key is the same key common to a 1982 Celica. At 215k-miles with un-repaired hit & run collision damage, it has something like a $300 trade-in value, so this car is going to go until it don't go no more, and needs a flat bed truck to remove it.

I'd really like to trade it in for a brand new, 1982 Volvo 242glt with a 5-speed manual ...... ha-ha-ha!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-27-2020 at 12:54 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:05 AM   #16
Biggd

I'll bet you've never built or tore apart an engine. Engines today will run a long time on dirty oil but the next owner will pay for the frugalness of the previous owner. But I will admit, most don't care about the next owner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
Total waste of money and resources.

Get your oil professionally tested to see how long you can safely go. They will test everything. How well the additives (which are critical) are holding up. How much gasoline is in the oil, the viscosity etc.

Not blindly guessing that 5000 miles is the magic distance for every vehicle and customer.

Newer cars don't run nearly as dirty as they used to. Better oils can "suspend" contaminates better. Better oil filters filter more junk out.

If you are gonna change it at 5000 miles, don't waste your money on synthetic.
Non synthetic oils have improved too.

Time is important too. If you don't drive a lot you might be building up to much water (from condensation) in the oil and not burning it off.

Here is where I've had my oil tested numerous times. I'll do like the first 5 oil changes. Then every 100K after that.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com

If you want to learn about oils this is the play to go.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/
Old 12-27-2020, 09:42 AM   #17
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Built in reminder

Quote:
Have had cars with both. Running standard oil today in the Toyota. I just found the 5k intervals simple to remember

Not sure about your Toyota, but our two have an automatic 5000 mile reminder. Flashes at 4500 miles and turns steady at 5000.

Dave
Old 12-27-2020, 09:49 AM   #18
Biggd

I bought a new lawn mower last year and it has no oil drain plug, says oil never needs changing, just add. My last lawn mower lasted 15 years because I changed the oil every year. It was still running when I junked it but it smoked. My guess is they don't want these mowers to last that long anymore so they can keep selling them.

The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (12-27-2020)
Old 12-27-2020, 10:40 AM   #19
Lakeboater

Quote:
I bought a new lawn mower last year and it has no oil drain plug, says oil never needs changing, just add. My last lawn mower lasted 15 years because I changed the oil every year. It was still running when I junked it but it smoked. My guess is they don't want these mowers to last that long anymore so they can keep selling them.

Can’t you just pour the oil out where you add the oil? That’s what I do and it works fine.
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:55 AM   #20
mswlogo

Quote:
I'll bet you've never built or tore apart an engine. Engines today will run a long time on dirty oil but the next owner will pay for the frugalness of the previous owner. But I will admit, most don't care about the next owner.

Yeah, I’d do anything on a car when I was kid.
But I moved on from 100’s of bolts to millions of transistors.

In the 70’s and 80’s you were lucky to reach a 100K miles.
Assuming it didn’t rot out before then. Changing oil every 3K.
Today it’s pretty routine to reach 200-300K. Without rot. With 10K intervals.
Problem is, other systems in the car need work and are not worth fixing.
Old Electrical, suspension, AWD systems can get expensive on repairs.

All my cars were in top running condition when I sold them.
Some with over 230K.
Old 12-27-2020, 10:56 AM   #21
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default See...

Still trying to clear the air/prove my point-

We already have standard oil, synthetic-blend oil, synthetic oil, and now... in FLL's post (#15), we have SuperTech oil!

Maybe distinguishing between the oils is impossible- due to brand labels, peoples' understandings/preferences, and a general manufacturer non-compliance on types-uses-reliabilites, etc.

I know I'm somewhat chasing a cat up a pole!

It does fascinate me, sometimes, how a subject so elusive can include responses from "those in the know"- including online searches, yet is hard to explain in layman's terms.
Old 12-27-2020, 11:07 AM   #22
Biggd

Yes you can buy tipping the lawn mower over, out comes the gas and oil. A messy way to do it or suck it out like you would on a boat motor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeboater View Post
Can’t you just pour the oil out where you add the oil? That’s what I do and it works fine.
Old 12-27-2020, 11:11 AM   #23
Biggd

Sorry but in post #12 you said do the first 5 oil changes regular and then every 100K after that?
Quote:
Yeah, I’d do anything on a car when I was kid.
But I moved on from 100’s of bolts to millions of transistors.

In the 70’s and 80’s you were lucky to reach a 100K miles.
Assuming it didn’t rot out before then. Changing oil every 3K.
Today it’s pretty routine to reach 200-300K. Without rot. With 10K intervals.
Problem is, other systems in the car need work and are not worth fixing.
Old Electrical, suspension, AWD systems can get expensive on repairs.

All my cars were in top running condition when I sold them.
Some with over 230K.
Old 12-27-2020, 11:11 AM   #24
mswlogo

Quote:

Only 15 years? You must not be taking good care of them.
I wish my lawn mowers would die at 15 years.
I can’t kill them. One had a Robins engine with an oil filter made by John deer.
I think it’s at least 20 years old. I firmly agree changing lawn mower oil once a year is good. But I’d abuse it and let it go 2-3 years. Still no smoke.
I finally left it with the house I sold. Magnesium frame was starting to breakdown.
Another Honda I had was 20 years old.
Needed new wheels and bearings and I didn’t feel like doing it a 2nd
time so gave it to a coworker 5 years ago. He did the wheels and still running great. And my lawn took 3 hours to do. So it got a work out. His lawn is as big.
I finally switched to a riding lawnmower. Now I can do lawn in 45 min.
My rototiller I think is 30 years old.

No change oil on lawnmower, Where did you buy it, Walmart?
Curious who makes it.
Old 12-27-2020, 12:04 PM   #25
Biggd

Ok, I can see where this is going. You're an expert on everything. I've only worked on engines for 50 years. I don't know as much as you because you do your internet research. I'm happy for you.
Quote:
Only 15 years? You must not be taking good care of them.
I wish my lawn mowers would die at 15 years.
I can’t kill them. One had a Robins engine with an oil filter made by John deer.
I think it’s at least 20 years old. I firmly agree changing lawn mower oil once a year is good. But I’d abuse it and let it go 2-3 years. Still no smoke.
I finally left it with the house I sold. Magnesium frame was starting to breakdown.
Another Honda I had was 20 years old.
Needed new wheels and bearings and I didn’t feel like doing it a 2nd
time so gave it to a coworker 5 years ago. He did the wheels and still running great. And my lawn took 3 hours to do. So it got a work out. His lawn is as big.
I finally switched to a riding lawnmower. Now I can do lawn in 45 min.
My rototiller I think is 30 years old.

No change oil on lawnmower, Where did you buy it, Walmart?
Curious who makes it.
Old 12-27-2020, 02:14 PM   #26
songkrai

When I pumped gas at the Merit gas stations.

Merit sold filtered used motor oil for $0.20 cents a quart.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 03:56 PM   #27
Biggd

I hope you tested it first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
When I pumped gas at the Merit gas stations.

Merit sold filtered used motor oil for $0.20 cents a quart.
Old 12-27-2020, 09:01 PM   #28
Poor Richard

Based on my experience, there are zero negligible effects when switching between synth and dino oils. Not sure where that all came from but I've found it to largely be a bunch of malarkey.

In my ice racing days I took an engine that was raised on synth oil and swapped back and forth a few times between synth and dino oil. Nothing blew up or broke as a result.

When I started racing motorcycles, my first race bike had synth in it. Again, I used dino oil and nothing happened.

Couple of turbo cars sprinkled in there over the years, all of them went from synth to dino oil. Nothing happened.

To simplify things, I have been purchasing 5gal buckets of Traveller oil from TSC for over 10 years. That oil has gone into everything I've owned with an engine...the ice racer, the race bikes, my truck, couple of Subarus, the tractor, wood splitter, chipper, push mower, etc.

If I were to follow every mfg's oil suggestion, I'd have 11 kinds of oil to keep track of. Yeah, no.

I too have had a whole lot of oil samples tested by Blackstone Labs over the years. There's a lot to be said about the results of spectral analysis of oil samples.

If I were OP, I'd bump up the oil weight to a 10W in that Subaru and just continue using dino oil.
Poor Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Poor Richard For This Useful Post:
mswlogo (12-28-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 12:17 AM   #29
mswlogo

Quote:
Sorry but in post #12 you said do the first 5 oil changes regular and then every 100K after that?

I know testing oil is a foreign concept for you.

I would do OIL TESTS on the the first 4-5 oil changes.
After confirming the interval had some life left in the oil and nothing was changing test to test.
Then I would stop doing OIL TESTS, it's not cheap and a PITA, but a few tests were worth it to me.
Then I MIGHT do another OIL TEST at 100K and 200K. More curious than anything. At 200K I didn't really care.

If you are really into cars it can spot problems before to much damage is done and a lot of car fanatics will test every oil change.

I just wanted to confirm the oil interval was safe (with plenty of margin for error) I don't do 12K miles. Typically 8-9K. But if it ran to 11K I knew it would be fine.

My latest car I skipped doing oil tests, don't ever check the oil and never change the oil or filter Kind of like your lawn mower I guess.

Yes, I've done my research on the internet for a lot of things and I wouldn't try to learn about oil on a Lake Forum. That's why I steered the OP to the right place.

Oh and that high mileage oil can help on some cars with some problems. I'd love to share stories on it but I don't feel like getting bashed on that too.
Old 12-28-2020, 04:44 AM   #30
ApS

Angry It's Not Easy Being Green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
When I pumped gas at the Merit gas stations. Merit sold filtered used motor oil for $0.20 cents a quart.
The last time I tried to recycle my used motor oil at a service station, they wanted $2 per gallon to take it!
ApS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 06:28 AM   #31
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
The last time I tried to recycle my used motor oil at a service station, they wanted $2 per gallon to take it!
I wonder if you could find a small independant shop with a waste oil heater that would happily take it? Our recycling center takes it at no charge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 12-28-2020, 07:11 AM   #32
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default S0...

Quote:
Still trying to clear the air/prove my point-

We already have standard oil, synthetic-blend oil, synthetic oil, and now... in FLL's post (#15), we have SuperTech oil!

Maybe distinguishing between the oils is impossible- due to brand labels, peoples' understandings/preferences, and a general manufacturer non-compliance on types-uses-reliabilites, etc.

I know I'm somewhat chasing a cat up a pole!

It does fascinate me, sometimes, how a subject so elusive can include responses from "those in the know"- including online searches, yet is hard to explain in layman's terms.
Now we have "dino oil"!
Old 12-28-2020, 07:17 AM   #33
Kamper

Synthetic oil is regular oil that has been "cracked" by chemical processing. You can go back and forth, just remember to use the grade of oil specified in your operator's manual and if you choose a 'store brand,' check that it has the lab certification that it meets the standards.

Cheap off-brand oils may be just as good as store brand or known brands but haven't had their quality independently verified, so it might not be.

That's all I think I know about that.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 08:27 AM   #34
Biggd

I had a waste oil heater in my shop. I heated my shop for the past twelve years for free.
Quote:
Old 12-28-2020, 08:55 AM   #35
WinnisquamZ

The waste oil heater is ok. You must have a continuous supply of oil. Uses a lot. Also, very expensive to purchase

Old 12-28-2020, 09:05 AM   #36
Biggd

It burned 2.5 gallons per hour. We would do at least 5 oil changes per day, sometimes as many as 10. In the summer I would store it up in 55 gallon drums. Being in the auto repair business gave us an endless supply. I had a big shop. If I had to buy oil to heat it, it would have cost me at least 5K a year. The waste oil heater cost me 7K and $500 a year to service it, so it saved me an good amount of money over the years. In my 50 years as an auto mechanic I figure I've done at least 50,000 oil changes and never tested one.
Quote:
The waste oil heater is ok. You must have a continuous supply of oil. Uses a lot. Also, very expensive to purchase

Old 12-28-2020, 09:40 AM   #37
mswlogo

Quote:
I’ve taken my used oil to Walmart for free for the last 15 years or so.

I think it’s law in MA that those that sell it must accept it.

My town in NH also takes it. They are very good about it and I just swap 5 gallon buckets.
Old 12-28-2020, 11:01 AM   #38
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default Just trying to understand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
Synthetic oil is regular oil that has been "cracked" by chemical processing. You can go back and forth, just remember to use the grade of oil specified in your operator's manual and if you choose a 'store brand,' check that it has the lab certification that it meets the standards.

Cheap off-brand oils may be just as good as store brand or known brands but haven't had their quality independently verified, so it might not be.

That's all I think I know about that.
So... even though the OP says he "knows" you can't go back-and-forth- you are saying you CAN (between regular and synthetic)?

By grade of oil- you mean, like, 10w-30, 5w-30, 5w-40 and the like?

The rest, about certification, I get.

Thank you.
Old 12-28-2020, 11:04 AM   #39
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
I know testing oil is a foreign concept for you.

I would do OIL TESTS on the the first 4-5 oil changes.
After confirming the interval had some life left in the oil and nothing was changing test to test.
Then I would stop doing OIL TESTS, it's not cheap and a PITA, but a few tests were worth it to me.
Then I MIGHT do another OIL TEST at 100K and 200K. More curious than anything. At 200K I didn't really care.

If you are really into cars it can spot problems before to much damage is done and a lot of car fanatics will test every oil change.

I just wanted to confirm the oil interval was safe (with plenty of margin for error) I don't do 12K miles. Typically 8-9K. But if it ran to 11K I knew it would be fine.

My latest car I skipped doing oil tests, don't ever check the oil and never change the oil or filter Kind of like your lawn mower I guess.

Yes, I've done my research on the internet for a lot of things and I wouldn't try to learn about oil on a Lake Forum. That's why I steered the OP to the right place.

Oh and that high mileage oil can help on some cars with some problems. I'd love to share stories on it but I don't feel like getting bashed on that too.
Is the interval the only thing you would've changed with the testing results? I mean, how many vehicles/machines fail because of oil quality? Other than running dry or overfilling, I'm not sure I've ever even heard of it happening.

I've only been driving and using machines for 27 years, but I'd be surprised if outside of racing/incredibly high tolerance engines, oil doesn't matter much beyond proper amount, viscosity, cleanliness, and interval.

I suppose if one is attempting to see how long an oil would last between changes, testing might be useful, but, for me, there are so many variables I'd have to build in a sizeable margin of error anyway.

For example, I go 10k on full synthetic in my 4Runner, but if I'm towing or doing a lot of backcountry runs in summer, I'll go 5K.

thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 11:06 AM   #40
Kamper

Quote:
So... ...

Thank you.
Yup.

To get lab certified, oils must be compatible with others in the same grade.

You're welcome.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kamper For This Useful Post:
JEEPONLY (12-28-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 11:23 AM   #41
Biggd

Usually the only reason to test oil is for an insurance company or an auto manufacturer to have legal standing for getting out of paying for an engine failure under warrantee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Is the interval the only thing you would've changed with the testing results? I mean, how many vehicles/machines fail because of oil quality? Other than running dry or overfilling, I'm not sure I've ever even heard of it happening.

I've only been driving and using machines for 27 years, but I'd be surprised if outside of racing/incredibly high tolerance engines, oil doesn't matter much beyond proper amount, viscosity, cleanliness, and interval.

I suppose if one is attempting to see how long an oil would last between changes, testing might be useful, but, for me, there are so many variables I'd have to build in a sizeable margin of error anyway.

For example, I go 10k on full synthetic in my 4Runner, but if I'm towing or doing a lot of backcountry runs in summer, I'll go 5K.

Last edited by Biggd; 12-28-2020 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-28-2020, 01:25 PM   #42
Poor Richard

Actually there are people who use oil analysis to monitor engines over the course of time, not necessarily for litigation purposes.

Quote:
Oil testing can be (and is) used to monitor engine health in general so it's not so much a failure would be related to the quality of the oil rather it could be a failure of an engine component that is affecting the quality of the oil.

Internal combustion engines are comprised of numerous types of metals and coatings. There are a handful of laboratories, Blackstone being one, that have a database and therefore a good idea of what a "normal" amount of wear looks like in oil samples.

So, in addition to being able to test the quality of the oil in your oil sample, they can also see if there is anything that might be wearing prematurely within the engine.

I can say for sure Blackstone knew I had a main bearing failure in one of the samples I sent them, a turbo bearing failure in another.
Old 12-28-2020, 04:38 PM   #43
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Merit Gas Stations; that's a name I haven't heard for forty years or so. The last one I knew of in NH was in Manchester next to the bridge that went over the Merrimack River.

I think their first station was in Watertown Square in Massachusetts.....
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 05:44 PM   #44
bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Richard View Post
Based on my experience, there are zero negligible effects when switching between synth and dino oils. Not sure where that all came from but I've found it to largely be a bunch of malarkey.

In my ice racing days I took an engine that was raised on synth oil and swapped back and forth a few times between synth and dino oil. Nothing blew up or broke as a result.

When I started racing motorcycles, my first race bike had synth in it. Again, I used dino oil and nothing happened.

Couple of turbo cars sprinkled in there over the years, all of them went from synth to dino oil. Nothing happened.

To simplify things, I have been purchasing 5gal buckets of Traveller oil from TSC for over 10 years. That oil has gone into everything I've owned with an engine...the ice racer, the race bikes, my truck, couple of Subarus, the tractor, wood splitter, chipper, push mower, etc.

If I were to follow every mfg's oil suggestion, I'd have 11 kinds of oil to keep track of. Yeah, no.

I too have had a whole lot of oil samples tested by Blackstone Labs over the years. There's a lot to be said about the results of spectral analysis of oil samples.

If I were OP, I'd bump up the oil weight to a 10W in that Subaru and just continue using dino oil.
Question to Poor Richard:
Why do you recommend to bump up the oil weight to 10W ?
The Subi owner's manual recommends the 10W..

Thanks !
Old 12-28-2020, 05:47 PM   #45
bigdog

Default Marvel Mystery Oil at Oil change ?

Just another question relating to oil....

Has, or does anyone add 'Marvel Mystery Oil, at Oil change ?
If so, what advantages does this product provide.

I know the military buys this product in 55 gal drums, and uses in vehicles.

Thoughts ?
Old 12-28-2020, 06:02 PM   #46
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default Ha!!!

Quote:

Thoughts ?
MMO was/is made in Port Chester, N.Y.
My home-town high school (Ct.) was close enough that we could get to Vahsen's bar for a delicious lunch of rare roast beef on a roll w/ a cold beer- N.Y. legal age was 18- and get back in time for a certs!
Old 12-29-2020, 01:02 AM   #47
mswlogo

Quote:

Pretty much yes. I would start out around 7500 miles and see what blackstone would say as far as how much life left is in the oil I sent. Then if they said I could go say 3000 miles more I might add only 1000 miles instead (e.g. 8500 miles) on the next round and test again. I wanted plenty of margin. Like at least 1000 miles less than they said I could go. Because I might not always change it on the dot. I didn’t want to pick a number out of thin air like some folks do. The oil I was using on the last car was VERY expensive. So in the end it saved me money and time, and time is money. And I’d never let anyone change my oil even when it was free. Seen to many screw ups. And it took less of my time to do it myself.

An important measurement is TBN explained here. There are many other parameters to indicate the oil is still functioning. They will give you all the numbers (and typical range for your motor and age) and then a written recommendation. Sort of like what you get from a blood test. It’s not black and white.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/do-i-need-a-tbn

And no, the most common reason for testing oil is NOT litigation. It’s probably the least common.

Last edited by mswlogo; 12-29-2020 at 04:44 AM.
Old 12-29-2020, 12:56 PM   #48
fatlazyless

Quote:

Thoughts ?
I sometimes add about a half-pint of Marvel Mystery Oil to the gasoline tank to keep the valve area at the top of the 4-cyl engine clean from oil grunge build-up. MM-Oil is a detergent that cleans the inside of carburetors/injectors and valves. It is owned by Turtle Wax which is a very reputable car care co.

For small engines like lawn mowers, snowblowers, and outboards that get stored away for months, it's good to put some in the gasoline and run it before storing it away.

What's a bad thing to do is to add MM-Oil to the oil if you use synthetic oil because MM-Oil and synthetics do not combine and mix together. They stay separate and somehow co-exist within the engine?
Old 12-29-2020, 01:23 PM   #49
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
What's a bad thing to do is to add MM-Oil to the oil if you use synthetic oil because MM-Oil and synthetics do not combine and mix together. They stay separate and somehow co-exist within the engine?
According to their website, MMO has no issue mixing with any and all synthetic oils...

https://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/faqs/

Dan
Old 12-29-2020, 06:56 PM   #50
fatlazyless

Oh .... ok ..... maybe the MM-Oil got changed or something so it's compatible with the widely used synthetics. Was not the case in the past, like ten years ago, before it got bought by Turtle Wax.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:00 PM   #51
Poor Richard

Quote:
Question to Poor Richard:
Why do you recommend to bump up the oil weight to 10W ?
The Subi owner's manual recommends the 10W..

Thanks !
The first post indicated you were using 5W.

I suggested 10W because I've seen 0W and 5W oils consumed by Subarus when they have a few miles on them. Nothing to be alarmed about, just a thing the boxer engines like to do apparently.