Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2015, 01:50 PM   #1
nhboat61

Default PWC running rough

I have a '09 Kawasaki, 4 cyinder. Last week, I put it in the water it ran fine all seemed well. Only ran it in the water a few minutes.

Yesterday, I went to take it out for a spin. First, it started to stall and the electronics went crazy. I got it back tot he dock and the battery wasn't tight, so fixed that. Checked the oil - good too.

Went back out started up and sounded good. Started to excel and it seemed not to have too much power. When it came down to idle there was a banging/knocking noise and a vibration to match. When you excel a couple of hundred rpms, the banging/knocking goes away.

I took it for a quick ride, tried to get it to top speed with me on it, but only could get less then 10 mph lower....

what ya think, pull it out and bringing it in ? I dont think I sucked a rock or anything like that. I did have to replace the impeller last year, because some one beached it while it was running
nhboat61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:23 PM   #2
pcmc

If the battery is the original it's now 6 yrs old. A failing battery can have odd symptoms. Also check all connections for corrosion and make sure they are tight. Make sure a rodent didn't chew on any wires.

It could be as simple as draining as much fuel as possible from the system, try adding a cleaner like 'seafoam' to the new fuel and see if it cleans out the varnish from the old fuel gumming up the system as it sat over the winter. Adding a cleaner to old or bad fuel won't help. Remove the old fuel first.

Check the intake make sure a rodent didn't get any debris in there.

Hope this helps.
pcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pcmc For This Useful Post:
nhboat61 (05-19-2015)
Old 05-18-2015, 03:33 PM   #3
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

pcmc has some good ideas... to that list I would add:

- Check the spark plugs and coils...

Banging and Knocking is concerning, so if the simple things don't pan out, don't run it to much, before really digging into the problem, even if it means going to the repair shop....
nhboat61 (05-19-2015)