Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Covid-19 Discussions & Information
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2021, 11:35 AM   #1
trfour

Exclamation Dangerous Variants Of Covid-19

Keep Informed; https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...iants-n1284348

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 12-20-2021 at 11:40 PM.
Old 11-24-2021, 02:10 PM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Trfour, I'm all for new info, but can you stop creating new threads for every headline? How about one thread called "latest info" or something?!

(This is, by the way, coming from the person who started 3 jetski posts when researching a new purchase!)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Biggd (11-27-2021), LikeLakes (11-28-2021), mswlogo (12-10-2021), pjard (11-26-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 02:46 PM   #3
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Trfour, I'm all for new info, but can you stop creating new threads for every headline? How about one thread called "latest info" or something?!

Hi thinkxingu,

Just trying to inform the folk's that are interested in staing up to date with Covid-19 and varients.

I will talk with our Webmaster to see what he may sugjest here.

Stay well,
Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
Old 11-24-2021, 02:58 PM   #4
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfour View Post
Hi thinkxingu,

Just trying to inform the folk's that are interested in staing up to date with Covid-19 and varients.

I will talk with our Webmaster to see what he may sugjest here.

Stay well,

Terry
I hear ya—sorry for being an old crank!

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
trfour (11-24-2021)
Old 11-25-2021, 07:58 AM   #5
pjard

Quote:
Could you please stop posting about Covid. I don't read on the Winnipesaukee forum to learn about Covid. Give it a break.
The Following User Says Thank You to pjard For This Useful Post:
Longtimelurker (11-25-2021)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2021, 11:53 AM   #6
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjard View Post
Could you please stop posting about Covid. I don't read on the Winnipesaukee forum to learn about Covid. Give it a break.
It is a Covid Forum. It would be strange for anything not relate to Covid to be posted here.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
SailinAway (11-26-2021)
Old 11-25-2021, 12:12 PM   #7
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Skip the COVID

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjard View Post
Skip the COVID.

Look at posts that interest me. When I'm done reading the posts I want to read, I click on "New Posts" to see if anything else has cropped up that I want to read. If all that's left is what I skipped, I click on "quick links" scroll down to "mark all forums read" and click it. Gone!!!!!

Dave
trfour (11-25-2021)
Old 11-28-2021, 10:45 PM   #8
LikeLakes

Quote:
I get that, and have no problem with it. But really no reason for new threads on each, just fills up the new posts list. As suggested, if there was a "misc. Covid info" thread or "trfour's covid info" then you could still post, those interested in your posts could subscribe. Personally, and nothing against you or your posts, I've decided I won't bother to look at your new threads because for me it's excessive.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LikeLakes For This Useful Post:
Biggd (11-29-2021), Descant (11-29-2021), Loub52 (12-01-2021), thinkxingu (11-29-2021), TiltonBB (11-29-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 12:02 PM   #9
WinnisquamZ

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/live-u...s/?id=81441585
It’s all on hold. Changing the narrative should allow them to walk the mandate back after the new year

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 11-29-2021, 03:36 PM   #10
trfour

Exclamation Coronavirus

Merriam-Webster chooses vaccine as the 2021 word of the year.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-year-rcna6891

Old 11-29-2021, 06:10 PM   #11
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/live-u...s/?id=81441585
It’s all on hold. Changing the narrative should allow them to walk the mandate back after the new year

The mandate is not being walked back.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:54 PM   #12
Woodsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
The healthcare worker vax mandate has been put on hold for the states involved in the lawsuit...

https://news.yahoo.com/judge-blocks-...ycsrp_catchall

Woodsy
Old 11-29-2021, 09:16 PM   #13
John Mercier

But the dates will not be changed.

Should they lose the lawsuit, all workers that do not meet the standard will be forced to stay home without pay until such time that they do meet the mandate.

So if they lose, the workers will either have to have the J&J... and go without pay for three weeks... making up all employee premiums when they return to work... or they will have the option to use Pfizer/Moderna but will go six weeks after the first shot.

Same thing happens for the OSHA mandate... after January 4th, they will need to mask and test weekly out of their own pocket or get the vaccination according to the above schedule with either masking and testing until reaching full vaccination, or sitting home without pay.

The Stay will have an immediate appeal to the 8th... and the battle will go to SCOTUS.

But a loss puts the workers in a worse position than they currently are.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:56 PM   #14
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
In your opinion they will remain. My opinion is it will be pull back.

Old 11-29-2021, 10:08 PM   #15
John Mercier

It is not an opinion.
''Walked back'' would be done by the Administration.
The Administration is not walking it back.

The Court has placed a Stay on enforcement until either an overturn by appeal or the final outcome of the case.

Those are very different things.
Old 11-30-2021, 12:30 AM   #16
FlyingScot

Quote:
In your opinion they will remain. My opinion is it will be pull back.

If you're right, this may present many in New Hampshire with an interesting opportunity to vote with their pocketbooks. One way to speak up for "freedom" would be to choose a New Hampshire hospital without a vax mandate instead of a Mass hospital with a mandate. This would be really interesting because hospitals, unlike retail stores or government buildings, could end up with a higher than average number of people with covid.

No big deal for those who don't need hospitals, but if you or a family member does, I encourage you to think about what's most important as you choose
Old 11-30-2021, 01:30 PM   #17
Billy Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
If you're right, this may present many in New Hampshire with an interesting opportunity to vote with their pocketbooks. One way to speak up for "freedom" would be to choose a New Hampshire hospital without a vax mandate instead of a Mass hospital with a mandate. This would be really interesting because hospitals, unlike retail stores or government buildings, could end up with a higher than average number of people with covid.

No big deal for those who don't need hospitals, but if you or a family member does, I encourage you to think about what's most important as you choose
So you think someone Sick and possibly in need of an operation would choose to go to a hospital where they know the staff could have non vac and potentially pass on a serious illness ? Or the safer bet and go to a Mass hospital?
Think I’m going to Massachusetts all day long
Old 11-30-2021, 02:39 PM   #18
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
So you think someone Sick and possibly in need of an operation would choose to go to a hospital where they know the staff could have non vac and potentially pass on a serious illness ? Or the safer bet and go to a Mass hospital?
Think I’m going to Massachusetts all day long
I would also avoid a hospital without vax requirements.

But others have asserted that they would avoid businesses with vax requirements, as a way to "vote" for liberty. It will be interesting to see if any of those who could choose their hospital will choose one with no vax requirements.
Old 11-30-2021, 10:57 PM   #19
John Mercier

I don't see that playing as much a role as the staffing issues.
Even if you have been vaccinated, having to isolate for ten days leaves your teammates short staffed and under a great deal of pressure.
They burn out more quickly, and then really bad things happen.

It adds to wage inflation, and Medicare/Medicaid tend to have some restrictive reimbursement structures for hospitals as is.

I don't know how much of that they will be able to transfer onto the private insurance sector, nor how much property taxpayers will be willing to endure to cover the insurance of their employees. I know the unions are strong, but something will have to give.

But the Stay against the CMS contract regulation doesn't prevent the local hospitals acting on their own.

This list is supposedly up-to-date as of November 29th... https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...ersjune17.html

I don't think that will prevent staff from becoming infected and have to isolate - major cause of the increase staffing shortage - but it should give those entertaining elective medical procedures that want vaccinated staff some comfort that they can seek out those venues.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:22 AM   #20
trfour

Exclamation

Pfizer says booster dose of vaccine protects against omicron variant.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...riant-rcna7970

The Following User Says Thank You to trfour For This Useful Post:
mswlogo (12-10-2021)
Old 12-09-2021, 08:02 PM   #21
WinnisquamZ

https://beckernews.com/harvard-study...an-that-43431/

Old 12-09-2021, 08:45 PM   #22
thinkxingu

Quote:
https://www.motherjones.com/politics...ovid-vaccines/

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
trfour (12-09-2021)
Old 12-09-2021, 10:27 PM   #23
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
A distortion and misinterpretation of what the article really says. Basically, as I have noted previously and others have commented, there is evidence that even the vaccinated, whether “sick” or without symptoms may transmit the virus to others.

This may suggest that vaccination needs supplementation with other measures to better control the pandemic, BUT there is no legitimate disagreement with the fact that vaccination does markedly reduce the risk of hospitalization and death in the vaccinated.

And, as always, there is still more to learn. That’s how true science works.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
trfour (12-10-2021)
Old 12-10-2021, 12:23 AM   #24
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
A distortion and misinterpretation of what the article really says. Basically, as I have noted previously and others have commented, there is evidence that even the vaccinated, whether “sick” or without symptoms may transmit the virus to others.

This may suggest that vaccination needs supplementation with other measures to better control the pandemic, BUT there is no legitimate disagreement with the fact that vaccination does markedly reduce the risk of hospitalization and death in the vaccinated.

And, as always, there is still more to learn. That’s how true science works.
It’s always been a no brainer that someone vaccinated could still spread it. Since vaccines were never sold as a 100% shield. The vaccine just helps your body respond quicker once you catch it.

But the less severity will lead to less spread. Simple Common sense. Which seems rare these days.
The Following User Says Thank You to mswlogo For This Useful Post:
trfour (12-10-2021)
Old 12-10-2021, 07:15 AM   #25
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
It’s always been a no brainer that someone vaccinated could still spread it. Since vaccines were never sold as a 100% shield. The vaccine just helps your body respond quicker once you catch it.

But the less severity will lead to less spread. Simple Common sense. Which seems rare these days.
Many of the vaccines we are familiar with essentially do “prevent” the vaccinated from spreading it and are almost a 100% shield.

This is one of the reasons some antivaxxers argue the Covid vaccines are not “real” vaccines. Not that being wrong or misled ever bothered them. Somehow, markedly reducing hospitalizations and deaths doesn’t seem enough for them.

Agree with the shortage of common sense. And I had not heard the argument before that the flu vaccines are not “real” vaccines.

The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
trfour (12-10-2021)
Old 12-10-2021, 08:48 AM   #26
upthesaukee

Default We need another word to describe the shots.

In my humble opinion, the word "vaccination" doesn't really describe the shots because to my pea brain, it means you won't get what you are vaccinated against. Of course, I, and most of us, know it is only going to lessen the effects if infected. (My wife and I can attest; we've been vaccinated and had a breakthrough case back in the beginning of Oct. Felt a little crappy for a day or so and that was it).

So, I looked at other words like inoculate or immunize (a famous QB favorite ) and they don't, to me, fit any better. Couple this with a myriad of "experts" quoting their reports and statistics as gospel, and we remain in a constant flux as how to proceed. For those who love to quote statistics, I remember my statistics professor on our first day of class saying to us "Welcome to Statistics 101. This is where you will learn to tell your side of the lie.".

So, I guess I will live with vaccine, vaccinations, vaccinating, etc as being as good a choice as ever, and hope that all realize it's not a cure or prevention, and that we will end up living with it and probably getting a flu shot and COVID shot annually.

Kind of a rambling and thanks for listening.

Dave
trfour (12-10-2021)
Old 12-10-2021, 09:40 AM   #27
WinnisquamZ

Your welcome. Must add, instead of looking for a replacement word for vaccinated we should be looking for one to replace “breakthrough”.

Old 12-10-2021, 10:15 AM   #28
upthesaukee

Quote:
Your welcome. Must add, instead of looking for a replacement word for vaccinated we should be looking for one to replace “breakthrough”.

Agree. When speaking with our friends, we didn't say "breakthrough", we simply said we tested positive, had the monoclonal antibody infusions, and had relatively mild symptoms.

Dave
Old 12-10-2021, 10:25 AM   #29
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Agree. When speaking with our friends, we didn't say "breakthrough", we simply said we tested positive, had the monoclonal antibody infusions, and had relatively mild symptoms.

Dave
It is confusing…but no one seems to have a problem with saying “flu vaccination” which may, in some years be only 60% “effective” and you still may only get a milder case without preventing it.

Not naming this a vaccine is only a tempest in a political teapot.

Just get one…call it whatever you like.

Last edited by Newbiesaukee; 12-10-2021 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-10-2021, 10:29 AM   #30
FlyingScot

I agree that "breakthrough" is a lousy term.

But vaccine is just the word for something that activates the immune system to fight a specific thing. If we rename the covid vaccines to something other than vaccines, anti vax people will use this as some other lame reason to avoid shots. Not all vaccines are perfect--our flu vaccines are much less effective than our covid vaccines.

One thing that makes all vaccines more robust in the general population is if everyone gets them. Every time one of us gets jabbed, it reduces the chances of covid to find another home, spread, mutate...
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
trfour (12-10-2021)
Old 12-10-2021, 11:08 AM   #31
WinnisquamZ

https://nhjournal.com/state-laws-hav...s-for-decades/

Old 12-10-2021, 11:22 AM   #32
Woodsy

The CDC has come out and said they found similar viral loads between fully vaxxed and unvaxxed people. So even though you are be fully vaxxed, you can be carrying enough of the virus to continue the spread! Despite 55% of the NH population fully vaccinated, the numbers we are seeing this year are worse than last year! This seems to lend credence to the CDC findings.

The government should be pushing the shot for what it does do! I think calling it a vaccine is a disservice to the public. The shot will not prevent you from being infected/reinfected with Covid. The shot does not prevent you from spreading Covid. The shot does however do a good job of keeping you out of the hospital and your symptoms somewhat mild.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/...cid=mm7031e2_w

Woodsy
Biggd (12-10-2021), DEJ (12-10-2021)
Old 12-10-2021, 02:15 PM   #33
trfour

Exclamation

Most People Catch COVID This Way.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...edgdhp&pc=U531

Old 12-10-2021, 02:22 PM   #34
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
So it has airports listed. Airports require masks and have for well over a year, so I could draw the conclusion masks don’t really work very well as people think.

The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
Seaplane Pilot (12-10-2021)
Old 12-10-2021, 03:03 PM   #35
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
So it has airports listed. Airports require masks and have for well over a year, so I could draw the conclusion masks don’t really work very well as people think.

Yes, if you use your exceptional power to suspend critical thought, you could draw that conclusion from the list--in the same way that you could conclude you should not have dinner with your family. At this stage, both of these conclusions, of course, would be idiotic.
Old 12-10-2021, 04:31 PM   #36
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Yes, if you use your exceptional power to suspend critical thought, you could draw that conclusion from the list--in the same way that you could conclude you should not have dinner with your family. At this stage, both of these conclusions, of course, would be idiotic.
You are such an angry nasty miserable excuse for a human being with a superiority complex.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
DEJ (12-10-2021), subaruliving (12-19-2021)
Old 12-10-2021, 06:49 PM   #37
John Mercier

He was pointing out that critical thought would confer that a control group would need to be used as a comparison.

What would the infection transfer rate be for an airport full of people without masks as compared to one with masks? You would need that information to determine how effective masking is.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (12-11-2021), Newbiesaukee (12-10-2021), trfour (12-10-2021)
Old 12-10-2021, 06:51 PM   #38
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
The CDC has come out and said they found similar viral loads between fully vaxxed and unvaxxed people. So even though you are be fully vaxxed, you can be carrying enough of the virus to continue the spread! Despite 55% of the NH population fully vaccinated, the numbers we are seeing this year are worse than last year! This seems to lend credence to the CDC findings.

The government should be pushing the shot for what it does do! I think calling it a vaccine is a disservice to the public. The shot will not prevent you from being infected/reinfected with Covid. The shot does not prevent you from spreading Covid. The shot does however do a good job of keeping you out of the hospital and your symptoms somewhat mild.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/...cid=mm7031e2_w

Woodsy
The problem would be the public not paying attention in class. A vaccine simply tricks the body into reacting as if it had been infected. Which is what this does.
Old 12-10-2021, 09:56 PM   #39
tummyman

We need Jonas Salk back...he actually had a vaccine that prevented poli in the vaccinated population.
Old 12-10-2021, 10:30 PM   #40
John Mercier

Actually that depends on whether they use IPV or OPV.
IPVs allow for transmission, while OPVs do not... but have a greater risk of reintroduction of a cVDPV (basically a variant), that would make the vaccine less effective and possibly lead to an extensive outbreak.
Old 12-11-2021, 08:48 AM   #41
WinnisquamZ

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/mos...dc-2021-12-10/

Old 12-11-2021, 09:28 AM   #42
fatlazyless

"Pfizer CEO says fourth Covid vaccine doses may be needed sooner than expected due to omicron"

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/08/omic...-expected.html

Such a rainy, blecchy day, today ...... think-um will go hit that Common Man Inn in Plymouth, open today, Saturday Dec 10; 9am-7pm, NH Heaith & Human Svces for vaccinations with NO APPOINTMENT and soak up some local color waiting for me 4th vaxx .... plus hit Walmart to return a $30-item for a refund.

Correction: An appointment IS needed ...... I showed up without one ..... and contrary to what I had read a few days ago, an APPOINTMENT is NOW required.

Who knows but maybe I can meet some 41-year old, mega-million dollar, baby-doll who's waiting in the vaxx line, too, .......hey there ...... well, helloooooo there baby-doll ..... u-know this is my 4th shot ....... how's 'bout u, baby-doll! .....

My third shot was back in Sept so getting one today will make me good-to-go for that $2 indoor pickleball game in Laconia ..... https://www.laconianh.gov/218/Pickleball

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-11-2021 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-11-2021, 10:10 AM   #43
WinnisquamZ

Laconia has indoor pickle ball? Wondering how much it increased my taxes? And the glass exterior elevator on the parking garage?

Old 12-11-2021, 01:08 PM   #44
fatlazyless

Quote:
Laconia has indoor pickle ball? Wondering how much it increased my taxes? And the glass exterior elevator on the parking garage?
Pickleball in the winter, played indoors, seems like it is about 25-times more popular than outdoor tennis in the summer. A lot more people, especially older people, are playing pickleball indoors in the winter. A typical indoor basketball court is big enough to hold three pickleball games at the same time using portable nets.

As a Laconia taxpayer you should definitely go to the community center, next to Rite Aid, and go PLAY pickleball, and you will be a better person for it!
WinnisquamZ (12-11-2021)
Old 12-11-2021, 01:09 PM   #45
John Mercier

Probably nothing.
Laconia Community Center basically costs about the same whether it sits unused or holds reserved time for particular activities.
Old 12-12-2021, 12:55 PM   #46
trfour

Exclamation So Fare

Moderna booster shot and omicron FAQ:

Old 12-19-2021, 02:02 PM   #47
trfour

Exclamation

Are vaccines effective against omicron?

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/scie...againstomicron

Old 12-19-2021, 06:14 PM   #48
John Mercier

The OSHA stay is suspended. But OSHA did retreat to January 10th.
It will be interesting to see what SCOTUS decides, as a lot will hinge on that.

I don't think any amount of data will matter... as we only see people all of a sudden ''find religion'' when they are in the ICU; sort of like Atheists in foxholes.

I suspected it because it is the same for less political situations like retirement.
During their working years, I hear complaints against SS/Medicare payroll taxes, and when they are old that the programs are not lucrative enough.
No one really thinks to save the standards of 12 times annual income or 8 times the value of their home... or my other favorite is running the numbers with a 25% S&P return and then complaining about the ''other party'' when that doesn't happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
Biggd (12-21-2021)
Old 12-21-2021, 03:38 PM   #49
trfour

Exclamation

Early studies are beginning to paint a picture of omicron symptoms, vaccine effectiveness and the Covid variant's spread around the world.

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/scie...-know-rcna8752

Old 12-21-2021, 04:34 PM   #50
trfour

Exclamation

As COVID-19 cases surge, fueled by the highly transmissible omicron variant of the coronavirus, Americans wonder how to approach the holidays and safely travel and gather with friends and family.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/va...edgdhp&pc=U531

Old 01-06-2022, 03:16 PM   #51
trfour

Exclamation

Map: 7 straight days of record-setting Covid case numbers.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-2022-n1286953

Old 01-06-2022, 06:18 PM   #52
WinnisquamZ

And hospitalized of the fully vaccinated in MA are at 40%. Today’s Globe and Herald

Old 01-06-2022, 06:37 PM   #53
trfour

Exclamation

Why omicron variant symptoms are more dangerous compared to previous COVID-19 strains.

Old 01-06-2022, 06:42 PM   #54
WinnisquamZ

More dangerous? More contagious.

Old 01-06-2022, 06:53 PM   #55
John Mercier

40% is correct by the MA Dashboard.
But the doctors and administrators that represent the hospitals are reporting that many are not being hospitalized for Covid, but for other issues where they then are found to test positive for Covid; so that is pretty skewed data.

I didn't have a cough, a fever, or even muscle ache... nothing.
But I had to cancel a dentist appointment until after my isolation and booster...
nice to report, no cavities.
Old 01-06-2022, 07:31 PM   #56
trfour

Exclamation

Deadly Omicron should not be called mild, warns WHO .

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...edgdhp&pc=U531

Old 01-08-2022, 12:37 PM   #57
trfour

Exclamation

In a confusing pandemic moment, experts share their own approaches.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ches-rcna11258

Old 01-11-2022, 03:16 PM   #58
trfour

Exclamation

U.S. reports record 1.3M Covid cases in a day as hospitalizations soar.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...soar-rcna11736

Old 01-25-2022, 03:54 PM   #59
trfour

Exclamation

Pfizer starts clinical trial for omicron-specific Covid vaccine.
The study will look at how well the modified vaccine works in unvaccinated people, as well as people who are already vaccinated and boosted.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...cine-rcna13379

Old 01-25-2022, 07:43 PM   #60
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts

I keep hearing that many people are dying with Covid, but not from Covid.
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
DEJ (01-26-2022), SAMIAM (01-26-2022), Seaplane Pilot (01-25-2022)
Old 01-27-2022, 01:27 PM   #61
trfour

Exclamation

LONDON, Jan 27 (Reuters) - COVID-19 boosters increase protection against death from the Omicron variant to 95% in people aged 50 or over, the UK Health Security Agency said on Thursday.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...edgdhp&pc=U531

Old 01-27-2022, 02:44 PM   #62
trfour

Exclamation

New Omicron offshoot BA.2 is over 1.5 times more contagious than the original, early data from Denmark suggests.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/othe...edgdhp&pc=U531

Old 01-29-2022, 10:33 AM   #63
fatlazyless

So, i have totally stayed away from indoor pickleball since December 24 over concern of the new Omnicron and I use an N95 mask at Walmart.

My third Pfizer vaccination was on Sept 12 and I suppose I should continue to stay away from indoor pickleball until I can get a fourth vaccination shot of the Pfizer.

Anyone have any success here in N.H. with securing a fourth vaccination shot? ....

My government vaccination card has an unused line for recording my fourth vaccination info.
Old 01-29-2022, 01:10 PM   #64
trfour

Exclamation Hi Fatlazyless

More research is needed, but early reports show that vaccines are roughly as effective against BA.2 as they are against the original strain of omicron.

While omicron's mutations allowed it to better evade protective antibodies generated by vaccines and natural immunity, the vaccines and the booster shots protected the vast majority of people from becoming seriously ill.

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/scie...iant-rcna13784

Old 01-30-2022, 06:23 PM   #65
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I keep hearing that many people are dying with Covid, but not from Covid.
And that surprises you?

Ever feel under the weather and notice things your body can normally deal with suddenly hurts a lot more. Like and old bone you broke or arthritis flares up.

While your body is defending itself and getting weaker from COVID other parts of you get less help. There is only so much your body can deal with at a time.

Scotty says to Kirk, the shields are down to 30% we can't take another hit.
Old 01-31-2022, 04:49 PM   #66
trfour

Exclamation Confusion?

Hamsters and mail: China, Hong Kong identify new Covid threats despite doubts

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/h...pics-rcna12696

Old 01-31-2022, 09:35 PM   #67
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
And that surprises you?

Ever feel under the weather and notice things your body can normally deal with suddenly hurts a lot more. Like and old bone you broke or arthritis flares up.

While your body is defending itself and getting weaker from COVID other parts of you get less help. There is only so much your body can deal with at a time.

Scotty says to Kirk, the shields are down to 30% we can't take another hit.

If you don't think there is a lot of misleading information out there you are missing a lot. The point is covid statistics are often inflated for financial reasons. Hospitals are glad to add that to a diagnosis. The coronavirus relief legislation created a 20% premium, or add-on, for COVID-19 Medicare patients.

Hospitals get paid more if Medicare patients are listed as having COVID-19 and get three times as much money if they need a ventilator.

Some states, like Minnesota, as well as California, list only laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 diagnoses. Other states, including New York, list all presumed cases of Covid, which is allowed under guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as of mid-April and which will result in a larger payout.

If it's just pneumonia that a person is admitted to the hospital for – if they're Medicare – typically, the diagnosis-related group lump sum payment would be $5,000. But if it's COVID-19 pneumonia, then it's $13,000, and if that COVID-19 pneumonia patient ends up on a ventilator, it goes up to $39,000."

Follow the money...............
Old 01-31-2022, 10:32 PM   #68
John Mercier

You mean that President Trump signed legislation to increase the number of confirmed covid cases and deaths?
That Republicans in the Senate went along with it?

Why would they do that?
Old 02-01-2022, 07:02 AM   #69
TiltonBB

Quote:
You mean that President Trump signed legislation to increase the number of confirmed covid cases and deaths?
That Republicans in the Senate went along with it?

Why would they do that?
No, that is not what I meant. Feel free to speak for yourself.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
DEJ (02-01-2022), Seaplane Pilot (02-01-2022)