Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2018, 07:58 AM   #1
Bizer

Default Bizer's annual survey of Winnipesaukee

For what should Bizer be looking?

As many of you know, Bizer spends a few of days in September surveying the lake. The lake level is low and the weather is usually dry. This is the best time of the year.

Bizer will be staying on Dow Island. We shall be checking for updates to our chart of the lake. If you know of anything that you think we should examine, please post it here or email us at updates@bizer.com or text/call us at 617-413-3940. We are looking for such items as
  • Buoys that may have moved. Even if a buoy moved and/or was reset by the Marine Patrol, we want to know about it. We want to insure we chart its exact position.
  • New buoys that are not on Bizer's chart (even if you think they were placed by private citizens)
  • Missing buoys
  • Shallow areas not clearly depicted on Bizer's chart
  • Any Elvis sightings that you would like us to confirm
  • Any island that is not on our list of islands
  • Any location which you feel Bizer has incorrectly reported the depth
  • Anything that you deem noteworthy and/or should be on Bizer's chart
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bizer For This Useful Post:
Barney Bear (09-22-2018), betterthanbacon (09-23-2018), Cobalt 25 (10-13-2018), Hillcountry (09-22-2018), joey2665 (09-24-2018), Reilly (09-25-2018), Slickcraft (09-22-2018), smith point boater (09-23-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 04:44 PM   #2
LoveLakeLife

I believe there is a Thurston’s Island #4 right next to the bridge over which the gas dock is situated. Also I believe there is an island between Birch and Steamboat because the causeway between it and Steamboat looks man-made. Everyone at Silver Sands calls the island “The Island” so I vote for that name to be applied. . Hull Island used to be Three and a Half Mile Island according to an old map. Blueberry fka Minister’s is posted with a sign that says Wilinington Island. Ron Guilmette had some call him to tell him Gichigumi was known as Kaiser Island.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
LoveLakeLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:30 AM   #3
chasedawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizer View Post
For what should Bizer be looking?

As many of you know, Bizer spends a few of days in September surveying the lake. The lake level is low and the weather is usually dry. This is the best time of the year.

Bizer will be staying on Dow Island. We shall be checking for updates to our chart of the lake. If you know of anything that you think we should examine, please post it here or email us at updates@bizer.com or text/call us at 617-413-3940. We are looking for such items as
  • Buoys that may have moved. Even if a buoy moved and/or was reset by the Marine Patrol, we want to know about it. We want to insure we chart its exact position.
  • New buoys that are not on Bizer's chart (even if you think they were placed by private citizens)
  • Missing buoys
  • Shallow areas not clearly depicted on Bizer's chart
  • Any Elvis sightings that you would like us to confirm
  • Any island that is not on our list of islands
  • Any location which you feel Bizer has incorrectly reported the depth
  • Anything that you deem noteworthy and/or should be on Bizer's chart
Check out the West side of Farm Island. I was sailing with my Cape Dory Typhoon over there last week and I hit rocks. Looked down and saw large rocks all around me. And the area is very large where it becomes very shallow. My draft on the sailboat is 39". The area is midway between the red marker at the SW corner of Farm Island and the Northern part of Farm Island and NWZ zone. I believe it is 150' from shore. Never seen this before. I kayak over in that area but always close to shore. Since you are on Dow Island it is a short distance over to the Western side of Farm Island. Check it out and let me know what you think.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:16 AM   #4
Bizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedawg View Post
Check out the West side of Farm Island. I was sailing with my Cape Dory Typhoon over there last week and I hit rocks. Looked down and saw large rocks all around me. And the area is very large where it becomes very shallow. My draft on the sailboat is 39". The area is midway between the red marker at the SW corner of Farm Island and the Northern part of Farm Island and NWZ zone. I believe it is 150' from shore. Never seen this before. I kayak over in that area but always close to shore. Since you are on Dow Island it is a short distance over to the Western side of Farm Island. Check it out and let me know what you think.
I haven't been between Chase and Farm Island for at least five years. According to my notes, there are two black-and-white buoys (BW) between Chase and Farm Islands. The buoys are closer to Chase, but there is/are 3-foot rock(s) about 10m (33 ft) on the Farm side of each BW and at least one other 3-foot depth in the area as marked on Bizer's chart. Is this the area to which you refer? If not, where in relation to either of the BW buoys? The entire area between these two buoys and Farm Island is marked in blue on Bizer's chart, indicating a depth of less than six feet.
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:06 PM   #5
chasedawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizer View Post
I haven't been between Chase and Farm Island for at least five years. According to my notes, there are two black-and-white buoys (BW) between Chase and Farm Islands. The buoys are closer to Chase, but there is/are 3-foot rock(s) about 10m (33 ft) on the Farm side of each BW and at least one other 3-foot depth in the area as marked on Bizer's chart. Is this the area to which you refer? If not, where in relation to either of the BW buoys? The entire area between these two buoys and Farm Island is marked in blue on Bizer's chart, indicating a depth of less than six feet.
No...The area is on the West side of Farm The area is midway between the red and white marker at the SW corner of Farm Island and the NW part of Farm Island. All on the West side. It is marked blue on your chart but it is less than 6 feet. More like 3 feet deep with rocks.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2018, 01:26 PM   #6
First Mate

In Meredith, I believe there are a couple of new markers in the passage as you travel from Cummings Cove to Sally's Gut. There's a black top - red top pair on the Cummings Cove side, and then a single black top after the bend.

In Tuftonboro, I believe two red companion markers on the approach to Melvin Wharf (town ramp, not marina) are missing. The two blacks and the outermost red were there.

Memory may not be serving me correctly, but you might want to take a look at these two spots. Happy motoring!
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:20 PM   #7
LoveLakeLife

Also there is a small island in Pickerel Cove on the left shortly after entering.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
LoveLakeLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:53 AM   #8
Rich

We took a ride last weekend and noticed that the red top south of Whortleberry Island appeared to be missing/gone. We look hard for it but couldn't find it.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:52 AM   #9
Lakegeezer

Default Shallow in Moultonborough Bay Inlet

Please check the marker in the middle part of Moultonborough Bay Inlet. I passed to the west of the red marker this summer and barely missed hitting a shoal of rocks. I suspect the marker moved to the east over the winter. The marker is located in a red circle below.
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2018, 03:32 PM   #10
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
Please check the marker in the middle part of Moultonborough Bay Inlet. I passed to the west of the red marker this summer and barely missed hitting a shoal of rocks. I suspect the marker moved to the east over the winter. The marker is located in a red circle below.
I am wondering if the marker can be replaced in Green's Basin ( off the tip of Gilman's Point)? it has been broken for at least a decade.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:41 PM   #11
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene's Basin Girl View Post
I am wondering if the marker can be replaced in Green's Basin ( off the tip of Gilman's Point)? it has been broken for at least a decade.
That is more of an issue to be brought up directly to Marine Patrol as opposed to Bizer's survey
Old 10-03-2018, 10:16 AM   #12
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
That is more of an issue to be brought up directly to Marine Patrol as opposed to Bizer's survey
Thanks. I have called Marine Patrol many many times and they do nothing about it.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:35 AM   #13
Barney Bear

Default Missing Redtop Buoy

The redtop buoy at the east side of the south entrance to the channel between Mark and Mink Islands is still missing. I have reported this fact to the Marine Patrol previously.
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote