Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2021, 10:56 AM   #1
pondboy

Default Colonial Theatre Tickets on Sale now!

I just ordered two tickets to see the Robert Cray Band at the Colonial Theatre in Downtown Laconia New Hampshire in September. I am psyched! I got great seats in the lower orchestra center and I am looking forward to seeing the Robert Cray Band right up there on the brand new stage and enjoying the sound in the newly renovated Colonial Theatre right here in my very own Hometown! I have not seen the Robert Cray Band since the late 1980s at the Hampton Coliseum in Hampton VA.

Interestingly enough I have not been into the Colonial Theatre since the late 1970's (maybe once to see how they ruined it). I have regularly seen Live Music at The Flying Monkey in Plymouth, The Eagle Theatre in Concord, The Palace Theatre in Manchester, The Orpheum Theatre in Boston MA, the Stone Church in Newmarket, NH along with many other venues throughout the area to enjoy Live Music.

I am really proud of the City of Laconia for having the foresight and commitment to bring this project to fruition and provide Laconia with a jewel of a local venue to see musical and stage performances and an actual reason to visit Downtown Laconia. If Laconia had a renovated Colonial Theater over the past decade maybe it would not have been as difficult to have successful businesses thrive and survive in Laconia, and Downtown Laconia in paticular.

So here is wishing the Colonial Theatre sucesss now and in the future. I look forward to many interesting and engaging productions on the new stage and Laconia's very own Colonial Theater. Tickets are available at www.coloniallaconia.com
pondboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pondboy For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (05-08-2021), MRD (05-08-2021), TheRoBoat (05-07-2021)
Old 05-07-2021, 11:27 AM   #2
fatlazyless

Last time I was at the Colonial was on an August Thursday in 1964, a Camp Alton yellow school bus ride from Clay Point, Lake Winnipesaukee to Laconia to see 'It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World' with Edie Adams and Jonathan Winters.

After the movie, stopped into the nearby JJ Newbury's lunch counter to stuff my face with one of their excellent hot fudge sundaes ...... was probably August 6, 1964 at about 3-pm ..... can still smell the hot fudge! ....
Old 05-07-2021, 12:22 PM   #3
FlyingScot

Excellent! I am not quite brave enough to be in such a large close group in September, but I agree is it awesome that they have attracted Robert Cray. A number of other old theatres in small towns have had huge success with big name acts. Beverly, Mass, for example. This puts the expense of the rehab in a very different light
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 01:07 PM   #4
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

That's GREAT news! I love me some Robert Cray.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 02:04 PM   #5
Mr. V

Any idea how the acoustics are in the theatre?

Not a small concern for a concert.
Old 05-07-2021, 02:43 PM   #6
barefootbay

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Last time I was at the Colonial was on an August Thursday in 1964, a Camp Alton yellow school bus ride from Clay Point, Lake Winnipesaukee to Laconia to see 'It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World' with Edie Adams and Jonathan Winters.

After the movie, stopped into the nearby JJ Newbury's lunch counter to stuff my face with one of their excellent hot fudge sundaes ...... was probably August 6, 1964 at about 3-pm ..... can still smell the hot fudge! ....
Funniest movie ever ! Don’t think I have ever laughed that hard since seeing it!
barefootbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 06:40 PM   #7
GTO

Default Parking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondboy View Post
I just ordered two tickets to see the Robert Cray Band at the Colonial Theatre in Downtown Laconia New Hampshire in September. I am psyched! I got great seats in the lower orchestra center and I am looking forward to seeing the Robert Cray Band right up there on the brand new stage and enjoying the sound in the newly renovated Colonial Theatre right here in my very own Hometown! I have not seen the Robert Cray Band since the late 1980s at the Hampton Coliseum in Hampton VA.

Interestingly enough I have not been into the Colonial Theatre since the late 1970's (maybe once to see how they ruined it). I have regularly seen Live Music at The Flying Monkey in Plymouth, The Eagle Theatre in Concord, The Palace Theatre in Manchester, The Orpheum Theatre in Boston MA, the Stone Church in Newmarket, NH along with many other venues throughout the area to enjoy Live Music.

I am really proud of the City of Laconia for having the foresight and commitment to bring this project to fruition and provide Laconia with a jewel of a local venue to see musical and stage performances and an actual reason to visit Downtown Laconia. If Laconia had a renovated Colonial Theater over the past decade maybe it would not have been as difficult to have successful businesses thrive and survive in Laconia, and Downtown Laconia in paticular.

So here is wishing the Colonial Theatre sucesss now and in the future. I look forward to many interesting and engaging productions on the new stage and Laconia's very own Colonial Theater. Tickets are available at www.coloniallaconia.com
Where is the parking for the Colonial
Old 05-07-2021, 07:24 PM   #8
pondboy

Default Donkey Kong

Seriously?? Either you are a Donkey, or you have never been in Downtown Laconia. There is plenty of Parking to support the Colonial Theatre. But you will want to know where you can park your Boat!
The Following User Says Thank You to pondboy For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (05-08-2021)
Old 05-07-2021, 07:38 PM   #9
GTO

Default Mmmm

Quote:
Seriously?? Either you are a Donkey, or you have never been in Downtown Laconia. There is plenty of Parking to support the Colonial Theatre. But you will want to know where you can park your Boat!

Very interesting and informative response to my parking question. Proving only that it is a Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad World. Brings back memories of that commercial with the egg in the frying pan and the saying, This is your brain on drugs
Old 05-07-2021, 07:53 PM   #10
WinnisquamZ

Pondboy, can you be any more disrespectful? No parking has been identified or associated with the theater. It is and has been a major concern since the project started. The available street and city lot parking is poorly lit. Many believe unsafe during nighttime hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:31 PM   #11
8gv

Quote:
While there is no requirement for you to answer the fair question of where is the parking, you do yourself and perhaps the Colonial Theatre a disservice by responding in such a rude and somewhat nonsensical way.

Is it truly a binary choice?

If one inquires about the parking one can either never have been to Downtown Laconia or is a donkey?

The question, which still stands, is "where" is the parking.

You answered, along with providing an unsolicited insult, the question "is there adequate parking"

Would you care to answer where it is located for the benefit of the donkeys and humans who have never visited Downtown Laconia?

Last edited by 8gv; 05-08-2021 at 07:46 AM.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 05:41 AM   #12
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Parking

The municipal parking lot between the post office and Belknap Mill where the city hall is should provide plenty of parking. A short walk from the Colonial door! And it is free!
I believe the parking lot behind the former catholic church on Church Street is also available. There should be plenty of parking.
The only issue I see is handicap parking. During venues, the city should designate the parking spots on Main Street near the Colonial as a handicapped area.
There is a limited number of cafes, dining in the downtown area. This should be addressed to increase the 'night out' experience.
Old 05-08-2021, 05:58 AM   #13
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Actually you could park your boat at the launch off water street and it's a short walk to the theater
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (05-08-2021)
Old 05-08-2021, 07:22 AM   #14
fatlazyless

Isn't the Water St, NH F&G launch ramps/parking lot located on the Winnipesaukee River, about 100-yards in from Lake Winnisquam and not accessible by boat from Lake Winnipesaukee what with the Lakeport Dam and Avery Dam so it's a no-go for the Colonial Theatre coming from Winnipesaukee by boat. I doubt you can even leave an unoccupied boat tied to the dock, there, it's a State-NH launch ramp facility.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:59 AM   #15
pondboy

Default Parking in Downtown Laconia

There is an abundance of parking in downtown Laconia. For instance there are the City owned parking lots on Beacon Street East, like lot# 432-15-34 or 45 Beacon Street (City Hall) or the recently purchased (by the City) parking at 50 Church Street. These are all within a short walk down Canal Street or Hanover Street. There is also plenty of on street parking in the area or heaven forbid the greatly underused and unloved Parking Garage (Lot# 442-142-7). All of this parking is provided for use of residents and visitors alike, free of charge through the auspices and benevolence of the City of Laconia. All of the parking I have mentioned is within 1000 feet of the front door of the Colonial Theatre and is Free! Most of the free parking is actually within 600 feet of the Colonial. There is also plenty of on street parking on Beacon Street East and Main Street and don't forget the City owned parking lot on Pleasant Street (Lot# 432-186-5) located right between Pleasant Street and Main Street less than 300 feet from the marquee of the Colonial.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:03 AM   #16
pondboy

Default Sorry

Oh yes, by the way I am sorry about your bunched up shorts.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:54 AM   #17
feb

Default No Go Parking at Water St Ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Actually you could park your boat at the launch off water street and it's a short walk to the theater
I got a ticket last year parking my boat at the ramp while we had breakfast at Water St Cafe. I think it was $70 or so. I was the only boat tied up so plenty of space. F&G typically sits there watching the activity. He didn't say anything to me as the 4 of us walked away towards the cafe. Came back and the ticket was taped to my steering wheel, F&G still sitting in the pickup. Honestly didn't know you can't park there, only unload/load. Now I know.Won't do it agin. Lost business for the cafe unfortunately on a lake with very very limited food options by boat.

Maybe at night you can get away with it since its probably not monitored then.
feb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 06:34 PM   #18
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

The colonial theater was featured on NH Chronicle this week and it looks like it is quite a nice renovation. There were also ads for the Robert Cray concert. Tix still available! He puts on quite a show :-)

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 08:08 PM   #19
John Mercier

Waiting to see what happens during the Holiday season.
The City really seemed to come alive last year.

Hopefully some sort of show that will become a family tradition.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:05 PM   #20
8gv

I miss the Charlie Brown Christmas concert put on by the Heather Pearson Trio at Pittman's Freight Room.

I reached out to the Lakeport Opera House suggesting that they arrange this concert at their venue.

If they don't arrange it maybe someone who knows the folks at the Colonial Theatre could make the suggestion.
Old 09-22-2021, 06:34 AM   #21
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
Waiting to see what happens during the Holiday season.
The City really seemed to come alive last year.

Hopefully some sort of show that will become a family tradition.

The Lakes Region Symphony is presenting a Holiday concert on December 10th and A Christmas Carol will be presented on December 17-19th.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 07:16 AM   #22
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
Any idea how the acoustics are in the theatre?

Not a small concern for a concert.
It was stated in a segment on NH Chronicles, they had an acoustic engineer strategically place the speakers for excellent sound. The theater itself is design to eliminate echoing as the walls are not perpendicular to each other. This venue will be an excellent test! Can't wait!
Old 09-22-2021, 10:06 AM   #23
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
The Lakes Region Symphony is presenting a Holiday concert on December 10th and A Christmas Carol will be presented on December 17-19th.
Thanks. I will talk to the family and see what interest I get.
Old 09-23-2021, 06:19 AM   #24
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
It was stated in a segment on NH Chronicles, they had an acoustic engineer strategically place the speakers for excellent sound. The theater itself is design to eliminate echoing as the walls are not perpendicular to each other. This venue will be an excellent test! Can't wait!
I went to a comedy show one of the first nights they opened. Very nice venue. I can't speak too much to the acoustics given it wasn't a musical performance. I can say they had speakers in the bathroom, which I found interesting.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 11:44 AM   #25
Mr. V

When I use the word "acoustics" in this context I refer to the "natural" sound of the venue, without additional "sound reinforcement" from the theater owners.

When Robert Cray Band plays I suspect that the theater will not use the speakers they use to play soundtracks from movies; rather the amplification will be from the band using only their own amps and speakers.

For a good test of a venue's acoustics have an orchestra play classical music without amplification and note the sound: any echo, muddying or distortion?

It is tough to "get it right;' not all halls sound as good as at Boston Symphony Hall.
Old 09-23-2021, 01:27 PM   #26
8gv

That’s better than having microphones in there…
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
Jersey Bob (09-24-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 05:39 PM   #27
Jersey Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
That’s better than having microphones in there…
Or cameras😀
Jersey Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jersey Bob For This Useful Post:
I.C.Isles (09-25-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 07:01 PM   #28
John Mercier

They probably have a security system. Most places do.
Old 09-25-2021, 02:50 PM   #29
pondboy

Default Nice Seats at the Show

I am looking forward to the Robert Cray Band tonight and ordered early enough to score some sweet seats. I should be sitting just forward of sonic center and I am anticipating nice acoustics. I will be able to park and walk a short and reasonable distance to the front door and I am not worried about the safety of the downtown area.

I attended the Community Development Forum last Tuesday in Lakeport at the Lakeport Opera House and found it to be an interesting and informative discussion on the development and growth of a thriving and successful community.

I had to park (heaven forbid) across the street. It was a pleasant walk with my wife up the granite stairs into the current northern terminus of the WOW trail, and then across Union Avenue to the Opera House. I hope that you were able to attend and recognize what the potential of our beloved community is.

Well enough of this ... I am off to the show!

Date Night is what Date Night does.

Have a nice evening,

Sincerely,

pondboy
Old 09-25-2021, 10:03 PM   #30
pondboy

Default What a Great Show!

I guess that I do not get to post here any more but I know that you folks like things posted a a question, .... So... How did you enjoy the Show?

Did you go or have you already gone "Home".. (Wherever that may be.)

I had a "Wicked Good Time" and the Colonial looked Great! The acoustics were fine and the band sounded really good. The venue Pumped!

I personally want to see much more good music there and will pay to do so.

I hope that you got to do something cool tonight like my wife and I did.