Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-21-2024, 07:17 AM   #1
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,641 Times in 569 Posts
Default Storage Question

Since I trailer my boat back and forth from Florida for the last 10 years I haven’t needed to store my boat so I’m not familiar with prices.Last year I purchased a little used 21’ Crownline for the grandkids to use.
My bill in the fall was for $2011.00 and the only extra service was a bottom wash.In the spring I was charged and additional $365.00 for launching.
$2376.00 seems like a lot for a 21’ boat but maybe I’m just behind the times.
Are there better options available?
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
DotRat (06-22-2024)
Old 06-21-2024, 07:21 AM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 5,008 Times in 1,946 Posts

PM Sent...

Dan
Old 06-21-2024, 10:12 AM   #3
VitaBene

Thanked 1,610 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Since I trailer my boat back and forth from Florida for the last 10 years I haven’t needed to store my boat so I’m not familiar with prices.Last year I purchased a little used 21’ Crownline for the grandkids to use.
My bill in the fall was for $2011.00 and the only extra service was a bottom wash.In the spring I was charged and additional $365.00 for launching.
I did winter storage at the Sandwich Fair last winter
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 05:38 AM   #4
SAB1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
When I read this it makes me smile…..that I do my own. Two thousand bucks for something that takes me 4 or 5 hours (and I don’t rush). If you are a bit handy I would look for someone to teach you if you don’t want to pay that cost.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 02:47 PM   #5
TomC

Default space

Winterizing a boat is rather straightforward if one is at all handy with engines/cars, but I bet a large portion of that $2K bill was for storage, especially if it was inside storage. If you don't have the space, being a DIYer won't help in that regard...
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2024, 05:30 PM   #6
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
Winterizing a boat is rather straightforward if one is at all handy with engines/cars, but I bet a large portion of that $2K bill was for storage, especially if it was inside storage. If you don't have the space, being a DIYer won't help in that regard...
Exactly. Rodents will do a number on it unless you have the proper space

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 07:48 PM   #7
Biggd

Thanked 1,097 Times in 693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
When I read this it makes me smile…..that I do my own. Two thousand bucks for something that takes me 4 or 5 hours (and I don’t rush). If you are a bit handy I would look for someone to teach you if you don’t want to pay that cost.
I always thought the same thing until I retired in 2020. Now, after 50 years of working on cars, trucks, tractors, and boats, I feel like I deserve the extra time to do other things that I enjoy.
I bought a new pontoon about 4 years ago and I have had it serviced and shrink wrapped every year, but I don't need storage because I have plenty of yard space. A boat just doesn't seem like a fun time if I have to work on it.
I just bought a brand new truck, my last new brand new truck was 27 years ago. My wife always got the new vehicles while I got hand me downs or fixer uppers.
I just turned 70, thinking I deserve more "me time" with what's left.
Maybe it's just an end of life crisis. I've lost quite a few friends over the past 4 years and many others who are facing poor quality of life.
It has me reassessing what's important in life. Sorry for the morbid venting.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (06-23-2024), garysanfran (06-23-2024)
Old 06-22-2024, 08:07 PM   #8
SAB1

Agree. OP didn’t provide detail of cost. I assumed the the $2K was to winterize the boat. If it included storage and the winterization that does seem bad.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 05:26 AM   #9
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,972 Times in 1,220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I always thought the same thing until I retired in 2020. Now, after 50 years of working on cars, trucks, tractors, and boats, I feel like I deserve the extra time to do other things that I enjoy.
I bought a new pontoon about 4 years ago and I have had it serviced and shrink wrapped every year, but I don't need storage because I have plenty of yard space. A boat just doesn't seem like a fun time if I have to work on it.
I just bought a brand new truck, my last new brand new truck was 27 years ago. My wife always got the new vehicles while I got hand me downs or fixer uppers.
Maybe it's just an end of life crisis. I've lost quite a few friends over the past 4 years and many others who are facing poor quality of life.
In May of '14, I had no idea it was possible to own a boat on the lake without towing or maintaining it. I discovered that from a post on this forum in my first month of owning at Arcadia.

In August of '14, I bought a pontoon and, other than some cleaning, seat treatment, etc., haven't done a thing to it.

I pick it up in May, use it for the summer, and return it in October to be serviced and stored.

It costs me just under $2k for indoor storage, winterization, oil/plugs/filters change, spring prep, and a basic clean.

In addition to the total freedom provided, when service IS needed, the marina has always put us first—the longest we've ever been out of commission in the last decade is two days. That, in addition to the freedom provided to just enjoy the boat, is worth the cost.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Biggd (06-23-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 08:25 AM   #10
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,091 Times in 785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Maybe it's just an end-of-life crisis. I've lost quite a few friends over the past 4 years and many others who are facing poor quality of life.
I agree with that thought. At this stage selling the toys and renting is a sensible move for me. Anyone interested in an '88 F223 LS with a recently rebuilt motor and i/o?
Biggd (06-23-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 01:08 PM   #11
Biggd

Thanked 1,097 Times in 693 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I agree with that thought. At this stage selling the toys and renting is a sensible move for me. Anyone interested in an '88 F223 LS with a recently rebuilt motor and i/o?
My boat is on Waukewan, sometimes when family and friends come up and want to go on the big lake for the day I just rent.
It's too much trouble pulling the boat to change lakes for the day.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote