Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-09-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Thumbs up The Crazy Gringo

Last Saturday night we went to The Crazy Gringo at Weirs Beach and had an excellent time and fantastic food. Our vegetarian was very happy with her build your own burrito. I had the best Chimichanga that I have ever had in my life. I opted for shredded chicken, mushrooms and spinach. The rice was very flavorful and quite moist. (Warning for the vegetarians out there - it is made with chicken stock. Our waitress realized Kayla was a vegetarian and told her about the chicken broth.) The others had build your own burritos and chimichangas too and thoroughly enjoyed every bite. Our waitress was very personable and prompt. Before the sodas were empty, a new one was brought right over. (Free refills.) We will definitely go back to The Crazy Gringo. It was much better than any chain Mexican restaurant we have been to. I hope you will give The Crazy Gringo a try and will have the same great experience too!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
sa meredith

Default yes yes yes

Finally, a Crazy Gringo thread. Way overdue!
I was turned onto this place by a good friend 4 years back. The funny thing is, if not for him, I would have never even considered going in. Just a stereotype, I guess. It really is a biker bar.
You see all the bikes lined up, and the way the folks having a but (smoking) out front are dressed....and if it is not your style, you'd think..."no way". But you'd be very wrong! Yes, they are for sure, hard core bikers, but the place and people are great. There certainly are cliques at the bar, but no biggie.
When the bar is full, we always grab one of the high tops located right were you walk in....you always get a friendly greeting. And there is nothing in the world like their margarita, served in a mason jar, when coming in out of the sun, after a day of boating.
Before heading thru the channel, I always pull the boat into the Weirs, and head up for a drink and a snack. The free chips and salsa are unreal (largest chips you'll see). Lately, we've been getting the Southwestern Eggroll, on the recommendation of the waitress Jasmine.
And on that note, she too is fantastic. I've been going for 4 years or so, and I'm sure she has a ton of regulars, but somehow, each spring, on my first visit, she'll give me smile and say ..."Margarita, rocks, salt...right?"....Of course, the memory probably comes from the fact that at times, friends and I have made a bit of an impression...but it's all good.
If you are a fan of "chain Mexican", Chilis and such..go to this place, and the food will blow you away.
And if you enjoy a few drinks...same deal. Give it a bid.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:14 PM   #3
AB_Monterey

We love the Gringo.

We were there on the first Saturday of Bike Week. It was packed.
AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:46 AM   #4
The Big Kahuna

Default The Gringo is great

You have to try the Steak Grande Burito, it is the biggest thing you have ever seen. I always say they should give it to you free if you eat the whole thing, it is that big. It is great tasting also. I get it all the time when I go there. It is not just a biker bar, it is a locals bar as well, some of the locals just happen to ride bikes and there are always new faces in there all the time, mostly people on vacation. A lot of weekend regulars as well.
The Big Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:44 PM   #5
donnamatrix

Default Crazy Gringo

We were there weekened of 6/27/09. It was packed, as usualy, but the food is always fresh and really good. Much better than the place in Laconia, which seems to cover everything in melted cheese and never use fresh cilantro.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2009, 10:47 AM   #6
hazelnut

Thumbs up Love the Gringo!

I have many friends who frequent the Gringo and when I'm down at the Weirs I can usually pop in and see them. The bartenders are usually quick and friendly and sometimes there is live music. I was able to frequent the Gringo on the Snowmobile many times this past winter. Come to think of it I'm way overdue for a visit to the Gringo. Any of you facebook folks out there check out the "Crazy Gringo" fan-page.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:38 AM   #7
angela4design

Default Agreed

Do they still do half price lunches on weekdays?
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #8
Marko

Default Coupon - Buy One - Get One Half Off

we were at the Weirs all last week and tried out a lot of places and we tried the Crazy Gringo for dinner....
last Tuesday the Laconia Citizen had a Buy One Entree get Half Off another Entree coupon.......
so we took them up on their offer.......
we walked in and the bar was packed and only a few dining tables were taken.....
the waitress told us to sit wherever we felt.........we choose one of the pub tables with two pub chairs.......
pretty festive atmosphere and maybe a little loud on the drinking side...
the waitress came over and said hi and introduced herself.........
we presented our coupon and which she had never seen before and went to check on that.........
she came back with a nice basket of chips and said we could order whatever we would like.......
they would take off half of the lower priced meal......

we ordered the Cheese Enchiladas for $8.99 which came with refried beans and rice......
and the $7.99 Tostados that was piled very high, came with the same........
huge portions and tasty.......served a little bit different than what we are use to here in the South......

didn't have to wait long for the food and the service was good as the waitress kept refilling our waters and asking if we need anything else.......

the bill came to $13 plus tax.......no one can complain about that......
left a nice tip as the service was good........
and they boxed our leftovers for us.......plenty left for another meal

overall the place was okay for dinner.....probably better for lunch as the drinking crowd won't be so loud......
plus I think this more of a drinking establishment versus an eating establishment.......
if we did this again for dinner..........
we'd have drinks at the Crazy Gringo and probably head to one of the other eating places on the boulevard....

Marko
St. Petersburg, FL
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:45 PM   #9
Argie's Wife

Argie's band will be playing there tomorrow (Thursday) night... if you like blues, classic rock, Texas blues, etc., then you'd like his band... I think the gig kicks off at 8pm. (Argie is the guitarist... the band is WiseGuys...)

And you gotta order a house margarita - they're served in a Mason jar - the way they should be...
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:38 PM   #10
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts
Default Good excuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
Argie's band will be playing there tomorrow (Thursday) night... if you like blues, classic rock, Texas blues, etc., then you'd like his band... I think the gig kicks off at 8pm. (Argie is the guitarist... the band is WiseGuys...)

And you gotta order a house margarita - they're served in a Mason jar - the way they should be...
Maybe a good excuse to take the bike to the Weirs tomorrow!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Meredith lady (08-04-2010)
Old 08-05-2010, 08:36 PM   #11
Hermit Cover

Default Very good...

and the food wasn't bad either. Just came from a great dinner at the Crazy Gringo...my first visit..but to be honest I went to hear Argies Wife's husband's band ( That would make him Argie., on lead guitar) ...some really good music there. Right you are...the food is really well prepared and very tasty...the service was excellent. Where else can you go for good Mexican food, see and hear some good live music, and watch Adrian Beltre hit a grand slam home run on the flat screens. Life is Good!
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hermit Cover For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (08-05-2010)
Old 08-05-2010, 10:59 PM   #12
Argie's Wife

Thanks so much for the kind words - I read your post to Argie and he also says 'thank you'! Glad you enjoyed yourself - that's the goal of anyone on a night out, isn't it? Wish I could have made it tonight - sitters are scarce in the summer months....
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:48 PM   #13
jkjoshuatree

Default I Would've Sat For Ya AW!!

If your kids don't mind 2 crazy Golden Retrievers tagging along!!
Old 05-05-2011, 05:14 PM   #14
hazelnut

Thumbs up Gringo Fans

A very close friend of mine is in a band called "Section XII" and they will be playing the Crazy Gringo tomorrow night May 6th. The venue is on the small side for these guys as they usually pack Boston area bars with tons of people as they are very good. They play a huge variety of music, you will be entertained. So if you're looking for something to do head on over.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote